If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sports

Comments

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Now I thought the Packers would win, but I didn't expect quite that blowout. Nice game, even though the snow didn't seem to affect the game too much. Let's see a Giants win tomorrow and I can be happy.

Awesome job for the Jags so far. Can't wait to see the Pats bust in the playoffs.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Sorry to disappoint, but the NE Patriots won their game vs. Jacksonville.

Can anyone stop the Patriots' freight train!? They appear beatable, it's just that no one has managed to do it so far this season. Next week they will play the Colts at home if my prediction is correct. They already beat the Colts once this season (24-20). That game was away, this one is at New England. Call me crazy, but I think they can do it again!
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited January 2008
    In Manning We Trust
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (flamethrower @ Jan. 13 2008,00:27)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Sorry to disappoint, but the NE Patriots won their game vs. Jacksonville.</div>
    captain.jpg
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Jan. 12 2008,19:01)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">In Manning We Trust</div>
    lol moar liek in Farva we trust nao
    edited January 2008
    In the after-the-game press conference, Belichick (Pats head coach) was asked who he would rather play next week. He said "Whoever wins." Seems like a lie to me. Both teams are good teams though. I think the chances are slightly better with the Chargers as the opponent. The Pats beat the Chargers 38-14 in week 2.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Belichick is a master of saying nothing while answering questions. Remember that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited January 2008
    Belichick is the Pats head coach? I always thought it was NE Coach. Thanks for labeling that for me, flamethrower.

(lol Madden joke!)
    edited January 2008
    Goodbye Dallas!

(As a Panthers fan I am obligated to hate Dallas. Atlanta too, but that's besides the point.)

edited January 2008
    Tony Lolmo.
    edited January 2008
    Somewhere, my cousin is crying into his barely beer (Coors Light). Somewhere else, the Manning family is very confused (wait, Eli's still in, but Peyton's not?). And yet somewhere else, Tony Romo is getting pitty sex from Jessica Simpson (who thinks it has something to do with having six kids at once).

Alright, we now have the Conference match ups. Who's going to the big dance, and who's going to win? any guesses?

Mine is:

NFC AFC
    Green Bay San Diego
    \ Superbowl Champs /
    \
    /
    Green Bay\ New England \New England
    /
    \
    / \
    New York New England

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    So in an earlier post, I picked NE, Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Dallas to win this weekend games. And I was FLAT WRONG. Not that I'm bragging or anything. I thought for sure I was right. What happened? Are the Jets really better than Dallas? I thought Dallas was a pretty strong team and the Jets were so-so. And they won on the road too.

The Indy and San Diego teams are pretty close in terms of skill, I'm least surprised at that upset. It could have gone either way.

Mr. Aquila Hawk has picked the correct final four bracket, methinks.

edited January 2008
    <div>
    (flamethrower @ Jan. 13 2008,12:35)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Indy and San Diego teams are pretty close in terms of skill, I'm least surprised at that upset. It could have gone either way.</div>
    While 3-4 defenses have historically given Indy trouble any team coached by Norv [redacted] Turner winning in the playoffs is shocking.

As for the Cowboys... dumb penalties. Similar situation to San Diego, great coach forced out and replaced with an uninspired retread that isn't particularly great.
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (flamethrower @ Jan. 13 2008,22:35)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">So in an earlier post, I picked NE, Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Dallas to win this weekend games. And I was FLAT WRONG. Not that I'm bragging or anything. I thought for sure I was right. What happened? Are the Jets really better than Dallas? I thought Dallas was a pretty strong team and the Jets were so-so. And they won on the road too.

The Indy and San Diego teams are pretty close in terms of skill, I'm least surprised at that upset. It could have gone either way.

Mr. Aquila Hawk has picked the correct final four bracket, methinks.</div>
    Two things.

First, the Jets have been statistically eliminated from Playoff contention since about mid October. Yeah, they sucked. The (sorry Chicago fans for this) Bears could beat them silly. You mean the Giants? Anyway, as for that game, it was an NFC East game any way you put it. Sloppy mistakes and stupid penalties are hallmarks for them. They also tend to be far more aggressive players. My father and I figured that any given play in that game could have generated a penalty. There was holding and facemasks all over the place. There was also a statistical advantage for the Giants in the grand scheme of things. It is next to impossible to beat a team in the NFL three times in a row. They had played this tough offense twice before, and that does two things. Reveals who their big playmakers, plays, and defenses are, and it makes the two time victor confident that they don't have to change up those playmakers, plays, and defenses. By the second half, the Giants defense was getting in there and putting pressure on Romo. Because of that pressure, he started throwing incomplete passes and two interceptions, including the one that won the game. Also remember that the Giants have been regarded as having the best defense in the NFL right now. If their secondary were better, they would have probably have one of the all time best defenses in NFL history.

Second, I can't take credit for guessing the final four since I wrote that post hours after the Giants upset the Cowgir... er... Cowboys. I have actually thought for most of the season that we would be seeing a Pats vs Cowboys Superbowl. However, I only give a slight edge to the Packers in the NFC Championship because of the unpredictable nature of both Green Bay weather and Eli Manning's playing. If it is snowing again in Green Bay and Eli doesn't play like a Manning, Green Bay will win hands down. If it snows and Eli plays a great game, or it's clear skies and Eli makes bad decisions, Green Bay has the advantage, but they will have to fight for it. The only way the Giants stand a chance is if Eli is at the top of his game and the weather cooperates. Also Caughlin getting a clue might help. laugh.gif

As for the Indy-SD game. That surprised me a little. I expected a great game (wasn't disappointed), but I expected Indy to win by at least a field goal. When I go up to the big Plattsburgh vs. Oswego hockey game on the 25th, I'm not going to be able to talk football around my buddy's girlfriend (BIG Colts fan). laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Lulz at Dallas. Two of my good friends are Cowboys fans and we had ESPN on all last night so they just kept seeing themselves lose over and over again. Wasn't quite the Romo bust I was hoping for, but getting all those chances at the end and just making nothing out of it was pretty funny. Also, TO crying was classic.
    edited January 2008
    Oh that was great! What was even better was when he was crying while defending Tony Romo's decision to go on a Caribbean vacation with Jessica Simpson during the bye week. Who would have thought that TO, with his ego, would turn into Mr. Team Man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    TO's ego writes checks his posterior can cash. I don't necessarily like him but I respect his game... unlike Randy "I took a couple of seasons off and got paid millions while being emo on the sidelines" Moss.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Too...much...American...Throwballl...talk...HEADSPLOSION.

Ya know the Australian open is on at the moment as well!
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (bain_nick @ Jan. 14 2008,23:16)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Too...much...American...Throwballl...talk...HEADSPLOSION.

Ya know the Australian open is on at the moment as well!</div>
    Nobody gives a crap about tennis.

Anyway...

Leave britn- er, Romo alone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Jan. 14 2008,21:47)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Nobody gives a crap about tennis.</div>
    I dislike sports in general, But QFT. Seriously. It's like Golf. No one gives a crap about Golf unless you're playing it.
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Frozenbabylon @ Jan. 14 2008,23:57)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (MasterChief @ Jan. 14 2008,21:47)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Nobody gives a crap about tennis.</div>
    I dislike sports in general, But QFT. Seriously. It's like Golf. No one gives a crap about Golf unless you're playing it.</div>
    I shouldn't have to do this (I will because I'm a jerk like that), but you realize that you are posting in a thread created to isolate a topic you HATE from the "Say Anything" thread so that it wouldn't offend You, FB (hey! same initials as Football). I only say this, because the only reason I can think of you wanting to post here is to cause trouble.

And I feel I need to defend Tennis. It's actually an amazing sport, but the scoring makes no sense. For that matter Bowling has weird scoring too. However, I digress. As far as I see it, it is probably the closest none sword sport to sword fighting. I have a soft spot for sword sports (fencing, kendo, kali).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    Don't worry, Aquila, while I don't follow it that much, I do enjoy watching tennis.

I just felt the need to antagonize bain for his hatred of football.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    Nah, Nothing that sinister. I just saw what Chief and I lol'd so I had to say something. I also enjoy playing golf, I just know it's boring as SIN to watch. And I watched a Fuutbaal game the other day and it wasn't terrible, I actually found it kind of enjoyable.

I'd still rather watch Cartoons though.
    edited January 2008
    Womens tennis is awesome. I could watch that all day <span class="spoiler">without pants on</span>.

• bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2008
    MC, it is not football, as it would mean using your feet to make contact with the ball far more then you actually do.

Soccer IS football, Aussy rules is a football, gaelic footy is a football. American Football is a blight to the name football. Call it a throwball as it is, as it does not deserve to be recognised as football.

And in Tennis, both Hewitt (whom I don't even like but since he is our ONLY chance at a singles result) and Federer won very easily today!
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Bain, I don't think there's been an American in this thread that's argued that the word "Football" should always be referred to the American sport. You can call it whatever you want, it's by far one of the most popular and enjoyable sports to watch this side of the Pacific Ocean.

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Womens tennis is awesome. I could watch that all day <span class="spoiler"> without pants on. </span></div>

I second that. Hoping Sharapova goes all the way.

And we're probably witnessing the greatest tennis player ever in Roger Federer. Although he's due to beat Nadal on clay in the French Open this year.
    edited January 2008
    Yeah bain, the VH-man is right. Please keep your anal-retentive British crap about sports names to yourself. It's really old at this point.

I must also chime in with Davis about tennis.

edited January 2008
    Electric_Steam_Iron.jpg

For Bain, So he can unbunch his panties.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited January 2008
    FB wins. Thats all.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited January 2008
    Venus Williams seems to have advanced as well, despite a relatively poor showing.

Svetlana Kuznetsova took just over an hour to smack around Frenchie Nathalie Dechy, coming back from a 1st set loss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]