If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sports

Comments

• Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Soren @ Jan. 15 2008,10:53)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">FB wins. Thats all.</div>
    Yeah, I have to second that. laugh.gif

Does anyone know why we call American Football football when the only time a foot comes in contact with the ball is when the ball is on its way to the other team? Why don't we call it American Rugby (another fine sport)?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Because rugby's full name is rugby football.

Calling American-rules football just football is just the preservation of a historical link that has faded considerably over the decades. Considering people outside the U.S. preserve stupid spelling conventions for historical reasons (e.g. centre instead of center) I don't see how you have any room to gripe. Get the hell over it.

P.S. I call our football football and I call soccer football, I just make sure I pronounce the latter like you would in the Mother Country. Since I can't really do that online I call it futbol.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2008
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    I've noticed a lot of people either dislike or root against Federer. Not sure why, but he's probably the greatest tennis player ever of our generation.
    edited January 2008
    Well, it's like the Patriots. When you're that good, people want to see you fall, if only for competition's sake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Vampire Hunter V @ Jan. 16 2008,15:08)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I've noticed a lot of people either dislike or root against Federer. Not sure why, but he's probably the greatest tennis player ever of our generation.</div>
    Tennis is a persona sport and Federer has as much personality as a corn chunk in my stools. I played tennis in high school so I can mos def appreciate his game but I avoid watching him as much as possible since I would come down with a mild case of narcolepsy.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2008
    For some true skill

Top 10 goals of the year AFL
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Lulz, short shorts. What a country.
    edited January 2008
    I think each club has 8 million to spend on 32 players, noting that 1 pklayer can be nominated as a veteren and be exempt, making it 31. So its not a huge paying sport in comparrison.

Oh and we lost cricket again today. Damnable A grade tgaking our good batters, and stuffing up their learning process up there (shakes fist).
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    edited January 2008
    edited January 2008
    Did anyone see the Amelie Mauresmo vs Casy Dellacqua match. Finally we have a hope in the female draw. I won't mention our male hope though, as I dislike him immensly.

I just looked at the mixed doubles draw. There are 18 Australians in it!
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (MasterChief @ Jan. 19 2008,14:04)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">OK, Federer routinely crushes the best in his sport... But this nobody pushed him to his limit? Either Federer's losing it, or Tipsarevic has himself a bright career ahead of him.</div>
    I didn't see the whole match, but I saw the beginning of it. Sometimes I've noticed that Federer looks bored at times, and will play at the level of his opponent. Either that of Tipsarevic is an upcoming star. By the way, I think Tipsarevic is the first tennis player I've seen wearing glasses.

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Lamesauce dude. Great way to end regulation, but that was such a sad anticlimax. Have to figure out who's the lesser of evils in 2 weeks.

Bleh.
  • Agent_009Agent_009 Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    Coughlin looked like he had been to a tanning salon. Hilarious.
    edited January 2008
    Coughlin looks like he got frostbite. rock.gif

Well, I was wrong about who would be in the Superbowl. Farve had a terrible game. Of course I was rooting for the G-Men, but I didn't think they had a snowball's chance in Hell. Well, since Hell froze over, as well as surrounding towns in Michigan and Wisconsin (including Green Bay), snowballs had some staying power. Laurence Tyne now has a unique distinction in Lambeau Field. A record field goal in the post season at Lambeau, 47 yards.

So now we are left with New York and New England. I still think New England is going to take the 19-0 season, but it has become clear that they will have to fight with it. Why do I say that?

1.) Tom Brady doesn't do well under pressure- Whenever Tom Brady is pressured consistently by the defense of the other team, he makes bad mistakes. He doesn't throw to the right people, doesn't wait for his receivers to get into position, leaves the pocket too soon, and occasionally throws an interception.

2.) The Giants have probably the toughest defense this season- Strahan has the record for sacks in a single game, and I think in the NFL. Umenyra (sp?) is also shaping up to be a hell of a defense lineman (and he's of royal blood). The only problem is that their secondary sucks.

3.) Giants offensive weapons- While Eli Manning is spotty, he has options when it comes to running game and has some decent receivers (when they know how to close their hands on good passes, I'm looking at you Amani!). Between Jacobbs, Bradshaw, and Toomer, the Giants have a formidable offense.

How can the Giants botch it? Eli Manning being star struck... which tends to happen. down.gif

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Jan. 12 2008,19:01)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">In Manning We Trust</div>
    NOSTRADAVIS

(Of course I had the wrong Manning in mind at the time that I posted that but I always make a point of being deliberately vague during prognostication so that I can continue to claim supreme clairvoyance.)

G-Men have NO pressure and everything to gain. In Eli I trust!
    edited January 2008
    Lleyton looks like losing. Good.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ Jan. 13 2008,14:17)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Davis @ Jan. 12 2008,19:01)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">In Manning We Trust</div>
    lol moar liek in Farva we trust nao</div>
    Davis,
    You went Manning-Farb-Manning.

It would've been good if you went Manning-Manning though. ?Good try.

That's how I thought it was going to go, too.

Aquila hawk thought similarly: <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Somewhere, my cousin is crying into his barely beer (Coors Light). Somewhere else, the Manning family is very confused (wait, Eli's still in, but Peyton's not?). And yet somewhere else, Tony Romo is getting pitty sex from Jessica Simpson (who thinks it has something to do with having six kids at once).

Alright, we now have the Conference match ups. Who's going to the big dance, and who's going to win? any guesses?

Mine is:

NFC AFC
    Green Bay San Diego
    \ Superbowl Champs /
    \
    /
    Green Bay\ New England \New England
    /
    \
    / \
    New York New England </div>We are terrible football prognosticators.

edited January 2008
    Lighten up a bit, flamethrower. You're much too literal sometimes. biggrin.gif
    edited January 2008
    edited February 2008
    Hopefully the Santana to the Mets deal gets finalized today. White Sox fans have been waiting for this day for a long time. That could take away 3-5 losses for the Sox this season. As for the Cubs, their road to the World Series got a bit tougher.

And my Super Bowl prediction: 35-6 Pats over the Giants.
    edited February 2008
    I'm thinking it will be a lot closer then that. May even lead to overtime. Although the Giants have been haphazard much of the season (even during summer sessions here in Albany), they have matured and even synced with each other in the past couple of months. Then again, the Pats are going for all the marbles on Sunday, so it will be a tough fight either way.

Should be some goooood football.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Both teams have low defense (yeah, I know it isn't an RPG but...)

I think the Pats will win, and the Giants will score at least 21 pts.
    edited February 2008
    Like pretty much every Super Bowl it's going to be terrible and un-entertaining.

Giants will probably do better than the last time they were at this point, but that's because Eli Messiah is an actual quarterback, which is more than you can say about Ku Klux Kerry Collins...
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    The Superbowl effects me in one way: it makes my work a zoo. Crazy busy the two days before... people like guocomole.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Davis, you warm the heart of this Panthers fan with your unflattering reference to Kerry Collins.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • - Locke -- Locke - Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Any NBA fans here, what do y'all think of Gasol going to LA?
    Think they're going to be in legitimate championship contention now?
    edited February 2008
    I think it's pretty hilarious that Mitch freaking Kupchak can fleece people twice in one season on trades.

Contender? Sure, why not.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2008
    Randy Moss, your tears sustain me.

*Cackles for the rest of the night*
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited February 2008
    Bill Belicheat and his Cheatriots are the greatest chokers ever confirmed.

Remember kids, NOSTRADAVIS called it!