If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Sports

Comments

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    Man are the Spurs STILL going to use the same offense every damn game even in the post-season? ?Screen and Roll ad nauseum. ?I can't even stay conscious to watch any of their games, no matter who they play.

And it's pretty obvious that the Rockets can't do squat without Yao. ?The only way Atlanta's ever gonna get past the Celtics to the next round is if Bibby scores 30+ points every game and Ray Allen breaks an ankle. Even if they did win today.

This is however the year of the Jazz, naysayers be damned.

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2008
    <div>
    (MeoTwister5 @ Apr. 27 2008,00:48)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Man are the Spurs STILL going to use the same offense every damn game even in the post-season? Screen and Roll ad nauseum.</div>
    Well it's not like the lol Suns are stopping it, so why lay off?
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited April 2008
    Wow, Avery Johnson actually got fired from coaching the Mavericks the day after they got knocked out of the playoffs. That's a bit of a low blow, considering he took them to the finals and had great regular season records the whole time he was there.

But hopefully the Nuggets will get in their right mind and fire George Karl in time to steal Johnson for themselves. *sigh* I can only dream.

Wow, George Karl has actually been to the playoffs almost every season he was a coach, missing one and getting fired twice.

edited April 2008
    The problem with Avery was that he over-coached. (They say pro basketball is one of the most hands-off jobs you can get coaching.)

That and his offensive "scheming" was retarded. There are other things besides iso plays, Avery!

Him and D'Antoni are gone. Pure hilarity.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (MeoTwister5 @ Apr. 27 2008,08:48)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">This is however the year of the Jazz, naysayers be damned.</div>
    Well Meo I guess I'm damned. I like the way the Jazz have turned things around with Deron. But I think they're 1 good jumpshooter/scorer away from being a contender. They have a solid lineup, but they could use a Michael Redd, Rip Hamilton type of player at SG. All in all I don't see the Jazz beating CP3 and the Hornets, the Lakers or the Spurs.

I'm rooting for the Pistons in the East, but if LeBron and Cav's lose early that would make my NBA playoffs complete.

And btw, where's the baseball love? We're already a month into the season and I haven't seen many posts related to the MLB. My White Sox are mediocre in the AL Central and I expect the Indians/Tigers to pick things up soon.

edited May 2008
    Eff the A's, they were supposed to be bad!

Also lol @ the Jazz winning anything. Jerry Sloan and his moving screens eventually get their due.
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (Davis @ May 02 2008,18:55)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Eff the A's, they were supposed to be bad!

Also lol @ the Jazz winning anything. Jerry Sloan and his moving screens eventually get their due.</div>
    If it works, it works.

And I hope D'Antoni gets his anoos fired. Apparently his solution to the Spurs is "Offense and more offense". If it doesn't work, then he wants even more offense. His philosophy is that if you're losing, then you aren't playing enough offense. The addition of Old Man Shaq could have given them a great defensive presence inside, and Amare doesn't have to play an undersized center spot, but hey Mike had other plans. He wanted more offense, even though Shaq pretty much guaranteed the team can't run and gun anymore.

Kerr is right, Suns need to learn how to play the D and rotate properly. They pretty much got owned with old school slow paced defense. Which is why I think the Suns could do well with Johnson, who actually taught Dallas how to play defense.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    The Celtics got beat (not badly, but you only need to win by 1 point) last night. The series is tied 3-3, with the deciding game to be played tomorrow.

Will the lowest-seeded team beat the #1 seeded Celtics? I'm scared rock.gif
    edited May 2008
    <div>
    (flamethrower @ May 03 2008,16:42)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">The Celtics got beat (not badly, but you only need to win by 1 point) last night. ?The series is tied 3-3, with the deciding game to be played tomorrow.

Will the lowest-seeded team beat the #1 seeded Celtics? ?I'm scared rock.gif</div>
    Well it's only ever happened... I think 3 times. And if they lose, not only will my prediction of the Celtics not winning this year come earlier, a few idiots are going to be owing me an assload of moolah.
    edited May 2008
    Boston = Choke City
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited May 2008
    The battle of Pennsylvania will commence shortly. Pittsburgh Vs Philadelphia in the conference finals.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited May 2008
    Alright, the Celtics did not lose in game seven, turning in a 35 point victory. Tomorrow night is game 1 of the next series vs. Cleveland Cavaliers. How will Lebron James fare against the Celtics? We're about to find out. First game is at Banknorth Garden (Celtics' homefield).
    edited May 2008
    I demand an Eastern Conference championship for Philadelphia!
    edited May 2008
    The Magic hath been offered as primary sacrifice by the officials upon the Altar of Stern.
    edited May 2008
    Why would Stern want the Pistons to advance? Not only are they "boring" but they've become lazy (from a work ethic standpoint). Meanwhile the Tragic have one of the hottest young stars in the league, which while not selling as many shoes as a guard like D-Whistle, is still more "interesting" than a team of guys we've seen for years and years and years.

Kobe gets his MVP finally today. About two years late but better late than never I guess. (Can we just redact Nash-been from the record books?)
    edited May 2008
    Despite abysmal play last night, the Celts won. Game 2 is tomorrow night.
    edited May 2008
    The Penguins leveled the Flyers again last night, 4-1.

As much as I enjoy seeing the Flyers get creamed, I was really hoping for a more challenging series. People I've spoken to around here feel the same way. I imagine it'll be up to Detroit to provide us.
    edited May 2008
    LOL Hornets up 3-2.
    edited May 2008
    Is that Lord Stanley's voice I hear?
    edited May 2008
    In Red Wings I Trust!
    edited May 2008
    OMIGOD the NBA is gonna start fining floppers next season. No more curse-laden rants about Manu Ginobili and other **** flying around the court.
    edited June 2008
    I still don't see how people are comparing the Lakers-Celtics Finals to the old rivalry of years ago...
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited June 2008
    Well, Geelong came back after its shock thrashing at the hands of every teams rival (and I say that as truth, for it is) Collingwood, by having a very easy win over Carlton. Good news is that Hawthorn, which was the only undefeated team lost to the Western Bulldogs, meaning that we are now only behind them by percentage.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited June 2008
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">OMIGOD the NBA is gonna start fining floppers next season. </div>I had to look up what that was...

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I still don't see how people are comparing the Lakers-Celtics Finals to the old rivalry of years ago... </div>Well, it's the two best teams in basketball. Just like the Laker-Celtics finals of old. Now, of course, the NBA finals is always the 2 best teams in basketball, it's just this time, it's the Celtics and Lakers.
    edited June 2008
    <div>
    (MeoTwister5 @ May 31 2008,18:04)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I still don't see how people are comparing the Lakers-Celtics Finals to the old rivalry of years ago...</div>
    All this has happened before
    And it will all happen again

Unrelated: HOW 'BOUT DEM PENS.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited June 2008
    Watching the final of the Indian 20 20 league of Cricket. Go Warney!
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • CarontCaront Member Full Members
    edited June 2008
    I have had little love for any facet of the NBA since MJ left.

That having been said, if Kobe lost the Finals in four games, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Stuff I'm actually looking forward to this summer: Well, not much, really. I would say the Braves, but they can't win on the road to save their lives, so baseball season has become a bit anticlimactic.

Ah. . well, I'm looking forward to watching Euro 2008 this month, whenever I get the chance. That'll probably be few and far between, since European sports come on here during the afternoon, when I'm at work. sad.gif

Sincerely,
    Caront
    edited June 2008
    <div>
    (Caront @ Jun. 01 2008,15:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">That having been said, if Kobe lost the Finals in four games, it wouldn't bother me a bit.</div>
    Awesome. Coming from a Sixers fan, sadly enough, go Celtics... *cry*
  • CarontCaront Member Full Members
    edited June 2008
    <div>
    (Zelgodes @ Jun. 01 2008,15:15)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Awesome. Coming from a Sixers fan, sadly enough, go Celtics... *cry*</div>
    Heh.

To give credit where credit is due, Kobe seems to have done a decent job rehabilitating his "selfish" label, but I still can't pull for him in any respect.

Sincerely,
    Caront
    edited June 2008
    MJ was a fraud. smile.gif