If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Latest FFX-2 Details: Battle System

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
The ATB - love it or hate it, it's back. However, the implementation of the costume changes along with job class changes in the middle of battle means that basically, I assume, Yuna and the gang have to change clothes during battle. I don't know about you, but that bothers me. Naturally, Square won't show the process of the girls changing clothes (so stop thinking what I KNOW you are thinking, gentlemen! ). But doesn't that sound like some stupid female stereotype? I can hear it now...
1. "Oooh, I get to be a warrior now! Better put on my tight leather outfit!"
2. "Oh, wait, a mage? OK, better slip into something more comfortable! *wink wink*"
3. "Let me change first, and then we can go!"

Please, Square, say it ain't so.

So, am I going off on a tangent for a good reason? Or will Square do something good with these systems, like keep the basic clothing but add necessities (guns, a sword, a staff) as the job requires? What do you think/hope for/dread?

Comments

• ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Oh, I just love the thought of the enemy sitting there and waiting for them to change clothes for battle.

• MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    *agrees with what's just been said*
    The more I hear about this, the weirder it sounds.

Edit: What's really bizarre is how the actual news update describes it: "the characters will change jobs in battle". I'm picturing someone arranging a change of occupation over their cell phone while duking it out with someone. tounge.gif

• Options
    edited December 2002
    I think that people are being to critical. I'm thinking the job system will be something like either Tactics or The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. Remember that game? It was for the Super Nintendo, Mickey had several costumes (a genie, firefighter, rock climber) that he could switch between. It was a great way of creating interesting strategy and puzzles. Personally I don't really care if the costume/job changes make sense literally as long as it creates new strategies and challenges. Combined with the active time, Boss Battles could be quite interesting if Characters have to change into several costumes at different times to succeed.
  • HappyNoodleBoyHappyNoodleBoy New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    At least we know that it isn't an action RPG, yay!!!
    I might actually buy it.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HappyNoodleBoy @ Dec. 15 2002,00:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"At least we know that it isn't an action RPG, yay!!!
    I might actually buy it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We've known that since October, when Square said it wasn't an action game.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I prefer FF X's batttle system. It's a shame that it won't be returning.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MalboroMalboro Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well as you know the battle system's never return thankfully and that's what keep it original. As for the job system I think it's a good idea and most likely will be similar to the job system in FFV or Dragon Warrior.

The dress up system also seems very good and fun to play around with if anyone's ever played Evergrace here hopefully the dress up system would be something similar to that. biggrin.gif
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well, personally I was never really tired of the ATB system. However I thought the CTB system was brilliant and I am sorry to see it go.

On this issue of changing clothes, I believe that the characters will not be so much changing in battle as "morphing" their costume personas(jobs). There are ways to do this. The characters can use a sphere similar to the way a rune is used in Suikoden, and then the game can announce the change "Yuna has become...BLACK MAGE!"

I know it sounds cheesy. The other option is that you can change the characters function when you are not in battle, so that when you enter battle, they will be wearing the alternate uniform.

I am curious to see how this combo thing works, will they be like actual physical hitting combos, or just unite attacks? We here in the States will have to wait a long time to find out.
  • OurobolusOurobolus Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well, CTB was a great change from ATB, but there was nothing really that bad about ATB anyway, so this isn't much of a problem.

As far as the costume changes...frankly, the thought of the characters changing costumes/jobs in the middle of a battle sounds really interesting. It adds a whole new level of depth to the game, where the player has to figure out which skills with which job work against which enemy.

Combo attacks...we can only hope...gasp...Chrono-Trigger-esque battles? I think it would be great if combo attacks were done in a similar way as CT. I know many fans were disappointed with Chrono Cross's lack of combos (well, there were some, just not in excess like CT), and this may be a welcome addition to the FF series.
    edited December 2002
    I guess this may add "new dimensions to gameplay" or something, but if you look beyond the gameplay, it looks like the believeability will take a huge hit.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    If I'm fighting a giant green tentacle monster with a huge mouth and bad breath, I've already conceded to myself that believability has already taken a hit.
    edited December 2002
    True, true.
  • kaserdankaserdan Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Jobs ? ATB ? No Problem !

I wasn't really looking forward to that game until now. I'm not particulary found of FFX' story though, but the gameplay and graphx certainly were great.

FFX-2... Let's wait and see. Right now, I'll just focus on Xenosaga and Star Ocean 3 !
  • The Patriot of FateThe Patriot of Fate New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Amen brother! I'm focused in that direction of Star Ocean 3 and Xenosaga as well. But as to the original question, I don't think that the "changing" of clothes will be a big deal at all. I don't see it as girls trying on different outfits or anything like that, it's just a way to discern between different jobs. I'm sure it will work out great. I'm a huge Square fan, and they rarely dissapoint.

• Options
    edited December 2002
    I'm hoping that FF:X-2 will go back to the older days of FF, where one job/class had one skill tree, and one skill tree alone. I actually enjoyed FF:IX for that aspect. Having one character being able to fight, heal, cast Ultima, and/or steal, imho, isn't that challenging.

Being able to change jobs will be nice, and to keep the abilities from learned jobs *cough*tactics-and-V*cough*, but having access to all the skills at once takes the fun out of putting together an effective team.

Teamplay WILL be a factor in this one, ja?
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm thinking the job system will be something like either Tactics or The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse. Remember that game? It was for the Super Nintendo, Mickey had several costumes (a genie, firefighter, rock climber) that he could switch between. It was a great way of creating interesting strategy and puzzles.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, man, that would be awesome! I can just picture Yuna pulling a huge curtain out of nowhere, standing behind it for half a second, and then wearing completely different clothes when the curtain opens. :p

All in all, I like what I'm hearing about FFX-2. No complaints from me!