If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What Are You Reading? Suggestion/Review Thread

Comments

• SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited August 2008
    I've finally nearly finished Ian Irvine's Scrutator, the third in the Well of Echoes quartet. I've been on the down low in the reading quarter for the past year, with so much else to do. It makes me sad that I find so little time to read. The Well of Echoes is pretty good, as far as multi-world fantasy goes. It's avoiding cliches but runs into another problem the fantasy genre is susceptible - plausibility. Due to being very original, it takes a lot of getting to grips with. There's still some stuff I'm getting used to and I'm in the third book. And they're long books.

Regardless, I'd recommend them to any casual fantasy reader. They're a bit gory and sometimes the books drag on a little, but I enjoy the stories.
    Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2008
    Finished Congo Friday night. ?Immediately started Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - After the Long Goodbye. ?So far it's been interesting. ?Very stream of consciousness which is a very different style than I'm used to reading.

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    You're a better man than I. I never could get into stream of consciouness. I always hated it when I was force-fed Joyce and Faulkner in school.

Currently reading:
    John Adams by David McCullough
    Conquests and Cultures by Thomas Sowell

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond will be added to this list sooner or later.

Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
    edited September 2008
    I hated Intruder in the Dust by Faulkner. The man is the king of run-on sentences.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    I can`t stand stream of conciousness either. Some of the ones I`ve had to read for my English major were just... like..... HUH?! MAKE SOME SENSE ALREADY!!!

Currently reading a translation of the novel Parasite Eve (yup, the one the video game is based on). Apparently it won some awards for horror when it first came out. A bit slow beginning so far (a lot of medical gibberish), but hoping it picks up.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    Joyce is amazing and nothing you say will convince me otherwise. He gets the shaft a lot because many English programs are sexist. They only have room for one stream-of-consciousness author, so they choose Virginia Woolf because she happens to have a distinct lack of penormonster.

Anyway, currently reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I like it.

Edit: Joyce is amazing because he actually conveys a lot of significant meaning with his dense forest of words, and the imagery is just so spot on. Faulkner, on the other hand, is a detestable human being (I will not call the hack a "writer" or an "author" ) who uses words to intentionally obscure meetings. His pretentiousness and the hold he had (and continues to have) over American fiction makes me despise him even more.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited September 2008
    Read Dubliners, then see if you still hate Joyce.
  • SundoulosSundoulos Member Full Members
    edited September 2008
    <div>
    (Jeffrey @ Sep. 08 2008,20:40)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Faulkner, on the other hand, is a detestable human being (I will not call the hack a "writer" or an "author" ) who uses words to intentionally obscure meetings. His pretentiousness and the hold he had (and continues to have) over American fiction makes me despise him even more.</div>
    QFT. Some of the things I heard about Faulkner certainly made him sound that way.

It wasn't my intention to make a comparison between Joyce and Faulkner, but they represent examples of authors who wrote in a style that I didn't (and perhaps just couldn't) appreciate. Perhaps its a character flaw of mine.

As Davis suggested, I will give Dubliners a chance one of these days.
    Monster Hunter Tri ID: N49H18
    Monster Hunter Name: Sundolos
    Region: North America
    edited September 2008
    Faulkner's short stories are pretty ace, "Barn Burning" in particular. Been a while since I read one of his novels but Sanctuary sticks out in my mind as being less obtuse to read.

If you ever feel an author, especially one generally held in high regard, is pretentious it helps to go back to their early work or their short stories. A lot of the time it helps you "get it," save a few guys like Pynchon. (The Crying of Lot 49 is only his most accessible novel because it's his shortest, otherwise it's just as tough.)

WRT to Faulkner, I don't believe his pretentiousness was deliberate to the degree Jeffrey is insinuating. I remember hearing once that he wanted some of his novels to use different colored ink to make the sudden time and character shifts easier to follow but publishers axed the idea because of the obvious added cost in doing this.
    edited September 2008
    <div>
    (Aurian @ Sep. 08 2008,16:05)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Currently reading a translation of the novel Parasite Eve (yup, the one the video game is based on). Apparently it won some awards for horror when it first came out. A bit slow beginning so far (a lot of medical gibberish), but hoping it picks up.</div>
    I'm really curious to read your opinions of this since this has been on my to-read list for a while. It's presently waiting in my Amazon wishlist for when I finish up the original Ender's Quartet, which I think I'll do after the current book.
    edited September 2008
    Its kinda weird..... I am currently halfway through, and despite billing itself as horror, nothing really happens yet - still building up suspense. You KNOW something is going to happen (especially having played the game tounge2.gif), but not much happened yet.

That said, it is interesting and well-written. Might be a good one for the science buffs (I am learning a lot about medical stuff and organ transplants!), and despite the slow build-up, I am interested in the characters and want to keep reading to see what happens.

The book shifts in points of time - "present day" and the past. However, it is easy to keep track of what is what and the glimpses of the past fleshes out the characters/story nicely.

I`ll let you know my impression when the book is done. Should be a day or two, I read fast blush.gif
    edited October 2008
    Should be finished with After the Long Goodbye tonight or tomorrow. Starting The Watchmen immediately afterwards since I couldn't find the right edition of Children of the Mind last night at B&N and got Watchmen instead.
  • SilverMouriSilverMouri Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I'm slowly trying to finish up a book called "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, which is just purely amazing and hard to believe it's the guy's first book.

I'm also reading "Fool Moon" by Jim Butcher and "Assassin Apprentice" by Robin Hobb.
    Forsaken Muses: And then you eat the people
    Forsaken Muses: And my HP went up
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I LOVED Robin Hobb's Apprentice Assasin series, excellent. Right now I'm reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk which I'm enjoying a lot.
    edited November 2008
    I enjoyed Name of the Wind as well. Its very well written and enjoyable.

Presently working on "The Blade Itself" by Abercrombie. This book delights in fight scenes and doesn`t always take itself or its characters too seriously. Kinda works though.
    edited November 2008
    How was Parasite Eve? I meant to ask a while ago about that one.
    edited November 2008
    Its interesting if you have played the game, but otherwise I wouldn`t really recommend it. Although it won a horror award, I didn`t find it very scary or suspenseful. I guess horror as a genre never works for me, book or film.

It did make me very nostalgic for PE... the game.
  • tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I am on the 4th of the series of Resident Evil paper backs. First one was based on game and the rest are the authors original stuff. SD Perry really gets the feeling of the games into the book. Nice quick read too.
    edited November 2008
    Now reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. Before that I had just finised Legend by David Gemmell. Good reads.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    Just finished the prequel novel to Mass Effect... had to pick it up due to my obsession with that game. It was exactly what I expected: A light weight, fleeting game prequel.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited November 2008
    Now reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. Before that I had just finised Legend by David Gemmell. Good reads.
    Dood! Yes! Freaking Chuck. I love that man. I should bring Survivor or Invisible Monsters to work with me.

I haven't read lullaby. In fact, I haven't read anything post-Choke. I really should get in on that.
    edited November 2008
    Agreed, the two Mass Effect novels are a bit fluffy but they are a nice addition to the world.
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I'm actually reading Martin's Fire and Ice series. And I'm reading Stephanie Meyer's the Host again as well.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited November 2008
    I thought her vampire series were kinda lame (lots of eye rolling from me I`m afraid) but the Host was actually pretty good. I still feel like <span class="spoiler">people accepted Wanderer a bit too easily given that after all Melanie is "replaced" by force with another being, even if Wanderer herself was not a bad person.</span> It just felt a bit too easy and I had to suspend my disbelief on that point, but otherwise I found it an enjoyable light read.
    edited November 2008
    You would definitely like Lullaby. It was so good I ended up staying up all night just to finish it! Now I am reading D.U.C.K. by Poppy Z. Brite another writer I am quite fond of. So far the book is excellent.
  • GooseAssGooseAss Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    just finished "Rethinking Expertise." very good if you like philosophy of science, especially social sciences. surprisingly easy to read for the topic.
    http://www.amazon.com/Rethinking-Expertise-Harry-Collins/dp/0226113604

just started "Fall From Grace," a biography of Michael Milken, who 30+ year olds will remember as the guy behind all the junk bond business in the 80s. so far so good if you're into finance (i am).
    http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Grace-Untold-Michael-Milken/dp/1559721359

• OliviaOlivia Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I am completely -- completely -- enthralled in the Twilight series right now. The books are so good. ^^

I'm one of those weird fans who doesn't like other people being interested in my interests -- like they're stepping on my turf or something. ^^ I'm still having fun talking with all of my girlfriends about them, though -- we're all team Edward.

I'm probably gonna keep reading now. I was just starting Eclipse, but I've been wanting to reread the first in a while and then learned about Midnight Sun, which seemed like a perfect way to do so. Edward's thoughts are so interesting too -- they make Bella's seem so drab in comparison.

Okay, I'm bored of being a member in the world. Goodbye everyone. *retreats back into her Twilight world*

\"I was always a rebel and probably could have got much farther had I changed my attitude. But when you think about it, I got pretty far without changing attitudes. I'm happier with that.\" – Veronica Lake
    edited November 2008
    I haven't read lullaby. In fact, I haven't read anything post-Choke. I really should get in on that.
    Choke is his writing peak. Best keep those good memories of him and skip the later stuff.
  • SaturnSaturn What the...? Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I'm currently reading 'The Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka for my AP English class and will be reading 'After Dark' by Haruki Murakami after I pay a visit to the library. After that... I may go kill my brain by attempting to finish Storm Constantine's first 'Wraeththu' trilogy and then revive it through a re-read of John Milton's 'Paradise Lost'. sarcasm.gif

@Oliv - You're scaring me... Please stop.
    ...?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    Hmmm... nonfiction not welcome eh?

I am reading Remembering the Kanji by Heisig and Stay Mad for Life by Cramer.

So I guess I'm supposed to put a mini-review even though I'm not finished reading either. Hmmm...

For Remembering the Kanji, you can get a free sample pdf. Just google "Remembering the Kanji Free Sample PDF." If you can't find the free sample PDF, PM me and I'll send you the link. They give you a good 25% of the book in the free sample, so you can get started and decide for yourself if you like it. Heisig has a nice Foreword that explains how the method works. I think the method is rather unique and works pretty well, but I'm only on Kanji #450 or so.

For Stay Mad for Life, you have an interesting mix of traditional and not-so-traditional financial advice. I can't really say more than that. The book is dumbed down a little so it's not so boring to read. The traditional part you've probably heard before from other books. The non-traditional part is: "Buy individual stocks with some of your money" (he goes into how to select them) as well as "Those under 30 should speculate (i.e. buy risky high-payoff speculative stocks)."