If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What Are You Reading? Suggestion/Review Thread

Comments

• DefChaosDefChaos Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I am completely -- completely -- enthralled in the Twilight series right now. The books are so good. ^^

I'm one of those weird fans who doesn't like other people being interested in my interests -- like they're stepping on my turf or something. ^^ I'm still having fun talking with all of my girlfriends about them, though -- we're all team Edward.

I'm probably gonna keep reading now. I was just starting Eclipse, but I've been wanting to reread the first in a while and then learned about Midnight Sun, which seemed like a perfect way to do so. Edward's thoughts are so interesting too -- they make Bella's seem so drab in comparison.

Okay, I'm bored of being a member in the world. Goodbye everyone. *retreats back into her Twilight world*
    The author likes Muse, and that's good enough for me! smile.gif

My wife loves the books, but is pretty apprehensive about the movie. She wasn't a fan of most of the casting choices. What do you think?

I haven't read a novel in quite some time. I love my Baseball Prospectus annuals though, I'm always going back and reading a little bit at a time out of those. smile.gif
  • tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    Well I have just started Vampire HunterD - Tale of the Dead Town. This is certainly going to be interesting read, kinda like HP Lovecraft style.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited May 2009
    This might be old hat by now, but I am about half way through Predictably Irrational. It is actually a rather fun read.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Currently rereading the wheel of time series, just started the full New Spring novel. So yeah... jjuuuuust starting. It's going to rule.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • SaturnSaturn What the...? Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Have to finish reading Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man' by next Thursday to prepare for the AP English Lit exam. It's honestly pretty good. Certainly not as bad as the upperclassmen have made it out to be. Second half of the book is definitely better than the first half though.

For my own reading, I'm switching between 'Only Revolutions' by Mark Z. Danielewski and 'Melusine' by Sarah Monette. Both are very, very good so far.
    ...?
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited May 2009
    This might be old hat by now, but I am about half way through Predictably Irrational. It is actually a rather fun read.
    Isn't that by the Freakonomics guy?

I'm slowly burning my way through Children of the Mind. It's a slow burn because I haven't been allocating time to read a little bit before sleep lately. Bah.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited May 2009
    Isn't that by the Freakonomics guy?

I'm slowly burning my way through Children of the Mind. It's a slow burn because I haven't been allocating time to read a little bit before sleep lately. Bah.
    No its by Dan Ariely, he is a professor at Duke.

I hear great things about the audiobook version of it.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I'm currently reading the Deverry Cycle written by Katharine Kerr. I do like this series, but it isn't as good as the Drenai Series written by David Gemmel, wich I recently finished.

I'm also reading a series written by Nick Perumov. Keeper of the Swords.
    Quote: wrote:
    Also known as 'Chronicles of The Rift' or 'Series of Mage', this eight-volume series tells the story of Fess the necromancer, who keeps the secret of magical Diamond and Wooden swords. Fess was caught in the 'closed' world of Evial, and suffers the pressure of local inquisition.

I love these books.
  • MORfictionMORfiction New Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I have a suggestion: <span style="text-decoration:underline">Geek Love</span> by Katherine Dunn.

It's about a circus family where the barker gets his wife to eat radioactive isotopes during each pregnancy to specifically give birth to yet another freakish child. The oldest child forms a cult!

It's written as a journal which blends the past with the present. Kinda like Stephen King's <span style="text-decoration:underline">IT</span>. (Some chapters are flashbacks while the others are in the present.)
  • StormofSwordsStormofSwords Crazed Bullet Miser Full Members
    edited January 2010
    V for Vendetta further proves what an amazing writer Alan Moore is. The book is incredible.
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.
    edited January 2010
    Currently blasting through "The Great Hunt" Wheel of Time book 2, about 2/3 of the way through in the last two days. I am rereading the whole series as the new one was just released and its been some time. I assume i'll have the series finished in two or three weeks, and damn is it good!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I'm surprised this thread doesn't see more action, I'd think RPGamers and reading would be a natural fit.

Confessor: Let us know what you think of the new book when you get there. I'd have to reread like you since it's been so long so I'm putting off starting the process until I hear a good amount of positive for the new one.

I'm about half way through "a long way gone: memoirs of a boy soldier" by Ishmael Beah right now. I wasn't prepared for what I was getting into. I knew it was pretty dark subject matter but I was thinking it would be along the lines of Monster Kody's autobiography (appropriately titled "Monster") of his life as a Crip in L.A. Misguided and hopeless young kids running around with gun's, doing dope, and listening to rap (I had seen the author on the Daily Show and he related the story about how rap saved his life). What this kid went through so far is infinitely worse, and he hasn't even been recruited as a soldier yet. It's a really good book though if you don't mind feeling like someone punched you in the gut.

I'm also slowly working through the Hugo Winners collections I got for Christmas, just getting in to the second volume now. Really loving it as I'm a sucker for old scifi. Standouts so far include "The Darfstellar" by Walter M. Miller Jr., "Exploration Team" by Murray Leinster, and "The Hell-Bound Train" by Robert Bloch (the author of "Psycho")
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just finished off Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, and all I can say is...wow.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Yes, I love the series. I actually recently finished his newest book The Law Of Nines and it was pretty good. Right now I'm reading two books. (Yes, I do this a lot.) In Fiction, I am reading A Kiss Of Divine Shadows by Laurell K Hamilton and for Non-fiction Samurai The Code Of The Warrior by Thomas Louis and Tommy Ito. I'm enjoying both books a lot.
    edited January 2010
    Approaching the halfway point of Stephen King's newest, "Under the Dome". He's more miss than hit for me as an author but I'd heard enough good opinions of it combined with the concept intriguing me so I figured I'd give it a shot. The fact that it was only $10 on the kindle didn't hurt either. I'm glad I went for it, as I'm really liking it so far. Of course it doesn't hurt that it plays to my prejudices. The town of Chester's Mill has the scummiest police ever.

Latest Hugo Winner was an Anne McCaffery (sp?) Pern story. I'm not a huge fan of that series but in short form and after having not read any of them since I was a teen it was fun in a nostalgic way.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really couldn't get into Under the Dome myself, given the character fatigue.

I'm working on the Wheel of Time prequel novel New Spring, but it sort of seems like a tedious origin story with little conflict, and I've had to refer to the Wheel of Time wiki a few times, given the slight character fatigue.
    edited January 2010
    Now reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's quite amusing and I'm enjoying it a lot.
    edited January 2010
    Just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. From the way I'd heard it described I expected something along the lines of William Gibson's later stuff, but this was way less technology focused and more of a straight up murder mystery. I enjoyed it regardless, and plan to pick up the sequel soon.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2010
    I just finished reading "I Am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak and I really enjoyed it. It had such a neat mystery and it was a very engaging read. Not as strong as "The Book Thief", but still a solid read.
  • VarieVarie Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    I've been reading The Zombie Survival Guide recently. Got it for myself during the holidays blush.gif
    edited February 2010
    Started reading Dan Brown's Digital Deceit as a break from the Wheel of Time... Meh. This guy is astoundingly redundant.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited February 2010
    On my own time, aside from the mountain of manga my sister bought from a B. Dalton that was closing up, I'm re-reading Warbreaker by Brandone Sanderson. I already read it, but it's still an excellent book. I love Sanderson's work! ^^ Mostly though, I'm reading a lot of stuff for classes, including The Faerie Queene, Slave Narratives and recently re-read (as I read it before in high school) Heart of Darkness.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited February 2010
    The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Ron gave it to me to read. So far it's fairly interesting.
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited February 2010
    Finally started reading The Gathering Storm.

You can tell its not written by Jordan, but its not bad either. I guess passing grades from me anyways.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
    edited February 2010
    Good to hear Bain, I suspect we'll probably hear Rahl's opinion too before I get around to actually restarting the series but it's in the plans.

I've been exploring the public domain this week. Read "The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders". Surprisingly boring for a book about a famous prostitute, theif, and con artist. By the time I got two-thirds through waiting for the good stuff I figured I might as well finish it so I could feel justified in my opinion of it's suckiness. And I do. It sucked.

Also read King Solomon's Mines. Now this was more like it, a fun action filled romp in Africa. I downloaded the sequel titled "Allan Quatermain" after the main character this morning along with "The Girl Who Played with Fire" which I will probably read first before continuing Mr. Quatermains adventures.
  • Silver DarknessSilver Darkness New Member Full Members
    edited February 2010
    Current book is Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I'm really enjoying it.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2010
    Finished reading "Flight of the Nighthawks" yesterday. The book is written by Raymond E. Feist.

Not as great as his other books, still it was a good read.
  • Super Duper GuySuper Duper Guy Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    Actually I finished reading American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House by Jon Meacham a few weeks back. I surprised myself in that I actually did finish. See, I have been a fan of books for a long time. I like them. But I get bored reading to myself. It's probably some kind of attention disorder, and is probably why I like characters to talk their lines inside games biggrin.gif

I also tried to read about Henry Ward Beecher and then some simple stories from Neil Gaiman. Couldn't finish these because of reason #1 above.

Luckily, my local library got me the hookup, so I didn't spend money on books I didn't read. Good thing, as my bookcase is usually filled with books containing markers halfway through them. blush.gif
    Play whatever makes you happy.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2010
    Finished reading Metro 2033.

It was better than I thought and it only got better and better. Strongly recommended. The post apocalyptic world and the new situation for humanity kept me hooked, and I really enjoyed the ending.
    edited April 2010
    About halfway through Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle right now. I've seen complaints about the pace but it's been fine for me. Everytime the Newton/Leibnez rivalry starts to slow things down, along comes Vagabond Jack to bring the action back.

Also in my continuing journey through the Hugo Winners I ran across a Fafhrd and Gray Mouser story "Ill Met in Lankhmar" which tells of their first encounter. I remember these as being amusing lighthearted stories but this one was pretty grim, however it worked well to establish a shared motivation for the two.