If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What Are You Reading? Suggestion/Review Thread

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited April 2010
    A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones

Read it in three days laugh.gif

I have many times intended to read these books, but never actually done it. Felt it was time to do so.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited April 2010
    Watch out man. ASOIAF is like crack served up by the world's laziest d-boy. Homeboy's never on the corner pushing work. Although with HBO developing a TV show it's probably as good a time as any to jump in.

I just started up Willie Mays: The Life, The Legend by James Hirsch yesterday. Felt like an appropriate choice with baseball season firing up. It's pretty interesting so far but I'm starting to wonder how many times I'm going to hear about how big Willie's hands were. I'm only four chapters in and I've already lost count of how many times he mentions it.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Finished the second book, and halfway through the third. I'm actually trying to force myself to slow down and read only a few chapters each time, failed miserably and ended up reading 150 pages in one sitting.

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Finished the sacond book, and halfway through the third. I'm actually trying to force myself to slow down and read only a few chapters each time, failed miserably and ended up reading 150 pages in one sitting.
    I am on the third book myself, and had to stop so I could continue my reread of the Wheel of Time. Seriously killer stuff, Martin is BRUTAL!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2010
    Just finished re-reading Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy, which I love. Moved on to The Last Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, these last two haven't quite had the same "effect" as the first two in the series but still pretty enjoyable.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Finished the sacond book, and halfway through the third. I'm actually trying to force myself to slow down and read only a few chapters each time, failed miserably and ended up reading 150 pages in one sitting.
    I am on the third book myself, and had to stop so I could continue my reread of the Wheel of Time. Seriously killer stuff, Martin is BRUTAL!
    A reread of WoT, eh? Another great series. I've read every book translated to Swedish, now I'm hearing(reading) rumors that they will not translate the last two books. angry.gif

edited May 2010
    A reread of WoT, eh? Another great series. I've read every book translated to Swedish, now I'm hearing(reading) rumors that they will not translate the last two books. angry.gif
    Brutal! You appear to read English well enough, so at the least you still experience the story, just not in your native tongue sad.gif
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Been reading some Terry Pratchet, Carpe Juglum I think it is. Not too bad, but I do prefer the Watch and Reiswind.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Brutal! You appear to read English well enough, so at the least you still experience the story, just not in your native tongue sad.gif
    Yeah, reading a book in English is no biggie. I'll wait a couple of months. If no translation is on the way, the English version will have to do.
    edited June 2010
    Just tore through the Swedish to English translation of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest in like two days. It suck's that Stieg Larsson is dead and we'll see no more books from him but I'm almost certain to reread all three of these books again inside a year to compensate. Now onward to the last book of The Baroque Cycle.
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Currently reading Dawn Of The Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith, the prequel to Pride And Prejudice And Zombies. It's awesome and I love it just as much as I loved Pride and Zombies. Next I will be reading Sense And Sensibility and Sea Monsters. laugh.gif
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited June 2010
    Just began Grapes of Wrath. I'm a Steinbeck fan and began this one last year, but never got through it, so I'm starting over. I've also still got another book around that my girlfriend lent me, Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident, that I intend to finish and give back to her.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2010
    I'm reading "Understanding Basic Japanese Grammar" by Koichi.
    It's a good read. You should pick it up sometime biggrin.gif
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Started reading the Shadowmarch series, written by Tad Williams. Very slow paced, and I feel that not very much is going on, but I'll read all the books anyway.
    edited July 2010
    Shadowmarch is amazing. Once you get past the extremely, ridiculously slow beginning, it picks up and his pompous introduction to the world ends.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Someone has probably mentioned this already, but I just discovered Metro 2033 has been translated and is available at bookstores.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2010
    ^A very good book, you guys should read it.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2010
    And now currently reading it. I'm now glad I played the game before getting into the book. Really helps to have seen some of the stranger things the setting had to offer before getting into the book. It's too bad it became a lame FPS. Definitely should have tread heavily on RPG territory, but alas, that ship has long since sailed.
  • Shadow4699Shadow4699 Over 500 PKMN? Firetruck! Full Members
    edited August 2010
    I've been reading Scat by Carl Hiaasen
    Always bring a gun to a knife fight. ~ Me!
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited August 2010
    I last read a Stephen King book... back in the 90's, I think. For whatever reason I picked up Pet Sematary and promptly went 100 pages in two hours. I remember the movie freaking me out as a child, but the book is better (a Stephen King book that made a lousy movie? Stop the presses!)
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited August 2010
    Finished off a good one a bit back that should appeal to the japanophiles. "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" by David Mitchell it's set in the late 1700's to early 1800's when the Dutch were the only one's allowed to trade with Japan. Gai-jin clerk fall's in love with Japanese midwife, hilarity (not really) ensues. Probably my top pick out of the books I've read the last couple months.
    edited September 2010
    Apologies for the double-post, but it's been over a month since my last one and I really want to call attention to a story in the latest Asimov's magazine before it disappears off the shelves in case anyone else finds the concept interesting so hopefully this is one of those rare permissable instances. Fortunately it's one of their double issues so it should be out there for two months instead of one.

Anyway, the story was called "Under the Thumb of The Brain Patrol" by Ferrett Steinmetz. It involves a fantastic bit of role-reversal from present times. The protaganist is a jock who is bullied and teased constantly by the "Neurals" (read geeks), as are all the jocks at his school. Among other precautions all the jocks at that school wear a layer of vaseline over their bodies to prevent the Neurals from grabbing a DNA sample and playing cruel genetic pranks. He has a crush on the "queen" of the Neurals, but doesn't act on it due to embarrasment over his "ugly" rock hard biceps, pecs, and freakish height, especially since she has a "perfect" pear-shaped body and a fantastic sense of style as evidenced by her mismatched socks and artfully placed Cheeto-dust handprints on her shirt.

So when an incident in class draws her attention to his exceptional strength and she is not only not-repulsed by this exhibition, but inspired by it to invite him to join the team for her science fair project he's ecstatic. From here the story takes a twist which I can't really describe without spoiling the story, but I can mention that it heavily involves tabletop roleplaying, specifically D&D. This story alone would have made this issue worth picking up to me, but there's plenty of other good one's in there so I can't recommend picking up the latest Asimov's highly enough.
    edited September 2010
    Just stated Lords of Chaos, one of the best books in the Wheel of Time series. Such an epic entry!
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited November 2010
    I've read the first book in Wheel of Time many years ago. It was quite good but I haven't continued yet.

These days I'm reading The Aenid by Virgil, as part of a personal project of reading through as many of the classics of literature as possible. I just finished The Iliad and The Odyssey and after The Aenid I plan on moving onto the medieval period for a change of flavour, with The Nibelunglied, The Song of Roland and The Alexiad. I tend to find these older works of literature more stimulating as they don't follow the conventions we're used to and can actually surprise you once in a while.
    edited November 2010
    Funny, I just read The Song of Roland last week. That is one awesome poem, so violent and the translation I read did a pretty good job making everything rhyme, although the same persons name would frequently be spelled multiple different ways to get it to work. And I kept feeling sorry for all the horses whose spines were broken after the men mounted on them were "cloven in twain". Yeah the classics are classic for good reason a lot of the time.

Currently reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon, really well done uh, mystery I guess? Feels kinda like light fantasy elements too but there may be rational explanations, I'm not far enough along yet to be sure. Short description, kid finds book, likes book, looks for more by same author only to find they are being systematically destroyed, mysterious man using a name from the kids book starts stalking kid trying to get at the book. The author has a real knack for vivid description and the whole thing is pretty incredibly well written so far, I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for more books by this guy, if they don't start disappearing mysteriously.
  • EmeraldSuzakuEmeraldSuzaku Member Full Members
    edited November 2010
    Been poking at Dracula (by Bram Stoker) and Hyperion. Both are getting put on hold for The Towers of Midnight, though.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2010
    Not reading per se, but I have been listening to a few audiobooks last couple of weeks. Mostly the unabridged City Watch books from Terry Pratchett's Discworld, just finished Thud! which was, as usual, excellent.

Also very slowly reading thourgh Mogworld by Yahtzee (like 30 minutes a week when I go into Starbucks).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited November 2010
    I'm still reading Brandson Sanderson's The Way of Kings. At nearly 1000 pages, this book is massive, yet I'm absolutely loving it. No crazy Chekhov's guns or mind-blowing plot twists yet, but I've got about 200 pages left to read and it's still early in The Stormlight Chronicles series.

I also read the nearly 500 page behemoth of a manga that is volume 22/23/24 of The Wallflower. Yes, it's three volumes in one. Why? Well, if you have been reading the North American-release version of Wallflower, you may have noticed that there hasn't been a new volume of the series since last year. This this is due to Kondasha, the Japanese publisher of the series starting their own American branch Kondasha Comics USA. While this was going on, pretty much all of their manga series till being printed went on Hiatus, including Wallflower. Since Kondasha and Random House have a sales and distribution arrangement now, Del Ray, which is the branch of Random House that releases manga, Del Ray still releases the manga now.

As for the manga itself. . . well it's more Wallflower. I'm still enjoying it, despite getting annoyed that there's still now sign of the blasted series ending.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited November 2010
    Been poking at Dracula (by Bram Stoker) and Hyperion. Both are getting put on hold for The Towers of Midnight, though.
    For your sake I hope it's Simmons's Hyperion and not Longfellow's. I read Longfellow's a few months ago looking for a connection since Simmons likes to reference literature so much but if it was there I was too dense to get it. And also it was very boring. The Simmons one is great though.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited November 2010
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Funny, I just read The Song of Roland last week. That is one awesome poem, so violent and the translation I read did a pretty good job making everything rhyme, although the same persons name would frequently be spelled multiple different ways to get it to work. And I kept feeling sorry for all the horses whose spines were broken after the men mounted on them were "cloven in twain". Yeah the classics are classic for good reason a lot of the time.

Medieval literature is rarely boring...well, unless you pick up theological works.