If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - 7 Movies

MuneTeikaMuneTeika MemberFull Members
edited November 2007 in Latest Updates
Square Enix gives us a sneak peek into next week. We revisit the the grand adventures of Vaan and Penelo for another whimsical journey.

7 Movies

Comments

• GraysonGrayson Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I still wish they had chosen to focus this game on slightly more interesting members of the cast. Granted FF12's characters were about as interesting as FF2's, but surely Square must have realized that Vaan and Penelo were the weakest overall? And adding in Vaan's groupies as playable characters just seems kind of superfluous. Anyway, at least the game looks nice.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Grayson @ Nov. 14 2007,18:32)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Granted FF12's characters were about as interesting as FF2's, but surely Square must have realized that Vaan and Penelo were the weakest overall?</div>
    That's why this game focuses on them actually. To give them more depth.

Although personally I thought that Vaan's character was explored just fine in FFXII.

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited November 2007
    This game looks interesting and it could be hard.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Slayer of God @ Nov. 14 2007,21:29)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Although personally I thought that Vaan's character was explored just fine in FFXII.</div>
    I agree, but only by virtue of the fact that his character was so insufferably shallow that any more depth would have been physically impossible, bordering on dangerous.

"I'm an orphan who wants to be a pirate! My only purpose in this plot is to act as a sounding board for the legitimately interesting characters and tenuously connect their otherwise unrelated storylines!"

Facetious hostility aside, I think that some more character development might be in order, and this game is at the tip-top of my Christmas wish-list. (Are you reading this, mom?)

The girl in the first movie clip appears to be riding the hoverboard from Back to the Future.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    Heh. I like how Vaan's quickening is pretty much exactly like it was in the PS2 game...only chibified.

This game looks a lot harder than I thought it was going to be; I'm very excited to get this in my hands.
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited November 2007
    I have high hopes for this game, and am really interested to play it. I think Vaan got a bad rap from FFXII, so hopefully this redeems his character, at least a slight bit. I am hoping for a bit more on Penelo as well.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • VigivalgusVigivalgus Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    And it appears that Balthier's dialog is several orders of magnitude cooler than every other character combined.

"All this talk of dreams and desire--I'm like to take you as a lover, not a foe."
    "Tire of the foreplay so soon? I suppose I'm going to have to tame our winged shrew."

I nominate these in advance as index quotes.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    <div>
    (Vigivalgus @ Nov. 14 2007,21:56)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">"I'm an orphan who wants to be a pirate! My only purpose in this plot is to act as a sounding board for the legitimately interesting characters and tenuously connect their otherwise unrelated storylines!"</div>
    More like "I'm an orphan who wants to be a ?sky pirate, but that's only a cover for the insecurity I feel over not being able to get revenge on the empire who killed my brother. Only later in the game do I finally realize that revenge won't bring him back, and is thus, meaningless."

Granted that character depth is not one of FFXII's strong points, but so many people seem to think that there's none at all, which is just incorrect.

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2007
    It's not just a cover. The ending talks about him becoming a pirate. I never got the insecure part. He seemed reasonably confident throughout the game.

I think the story of his adventures as a sky pirate will provide more opportunities for his and Penelo's character development. The FF12 story's main character is Ashe and her quest to defeat those who capture her kindgom in the opening sequence.

It could turn shallow really quickly though. "One Piece" is about Luffy's quest to become "The greatest pirate evar!!!" This story seems closer to "Vaan vs. the Evil Empire" which is RPG cliche #13, but that's OK. Stories like this are usually pretty interesting, even if they are rather common.

Seems like this game's interface is much better than the horrid Heroes of Mana. I don't want to draw a circle around the units I want to select. I want to draw a single diagonal line, which forms a box, to select the units in that box. Just like EVERY PC RTS OUT THERE. NOT THAT HARD PEOPLE. Hopefully we'll be able to do this in RW. Also, they kept the group select thingie, which was about the only thing good in the Heroes of Mana system.

Whenever I'm playing Starcraft, I think it might be good to play on a tablet PC. That way, you would have a touch screen interface for the RTS. Draw diagonal lines to select units, tap the command box and then the field or minimap to issue orders. Tap the minimap to navigate. Simple right? The issues w/ Heroes of Mana arise because the screen is so ridiculously cramped that it's impossible to even try to get all of that onto a single screen. The result is that many actions take more taps than I think they should, which leads to clunky gameplay. If the PSP had a touch screen, RTSes might work better on that system.