If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Namco Readies Unveiling Of...

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
Namco's almost ready to get rid of that ... ... I can hardly wait...

So anyway, I'm glad the GC is getting more RPGs, cuz I'm about to get one smile.gif
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• MalboroMalboro Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Ah yes. The more of that series the better if you ask me. But yes the GC does need more RPG's.
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    Could it be possible that this game follows "<span class="spoiler">Dhaos</span>"' story in Tales of Phantasia? ?I mean the part before "<span class="spoiler">Dhaos leaves his home planet to go to Phantasia and how his planet went into its mana crisis</span>" <-(Unspoil only if you've finished Tales of Phantasia on snes).

Of course, that's assuming that the ... stands for "Phantasia." If, on the other hand, it stands for "Fooby, the Kamikaze Watermelon," then it'll be great no matter what happens!

It's from a demented cartoon movie, don't ask.

• CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well, there's already a ToP "sequel" that explains much of "<span class="spoiler">Dellis-Kahran's backstory and why it had a mana crisis</span>", but I definately wouldn't mind a little more focus on it. Especially if it also covered the pre-game events on Aselia (with Edward, Alan, Carol, and especially Winona--I'm sick of not knowing who the hell she is!)....

Make Dhaos a PC! Heheh.... It'd be like Dio or Frio only cooler!

But some of us rabid Tales fans in the back are thinking it's just Shin Tales of (Kari) they're unveiling. Granted, we've heard of that, and we've been tossed a sloppy 43-second mov file, but the game doesn't even have a name yet, and we know nothing about it except that the graphics are bad for a next-gen console (but it's still eight months before it comes out, and the mov was bad, sooooo...).
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cyllya @ Dec. 16 2002,16:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, there's already a ToP "sequel" that explains much of "<span class="spoiler">Dellis-Kahran's backstory and why it had a mana crisis</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Which Tales game would that be?
    edited December 2002
    "Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon"

(or "Similar Dungeon" if you have some odd reason to look for it on RPGamer)
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    Cool! But if only it were released here in North America sad.gif
    edited December 2002
    I'd recommend picking up the Japanese version of it anyway (even if that meant getting a rom). It's not as hard to play as most Japanses rpgs.... (Between my site and GameFAQs.com, you wouldn't have to worry about not knowing what to do and being stuck!)

It's a really cute game. :o

Too bad there's no fan-translation. Phantasian Productions has poked at it, but it has the most evil menu algorithms.... Tiny textboxes.... You know.
    edited December 2002
    ?n?[?s?[?????????????!
    Summoned Harpy!

The new Tales game is Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage.

I, for one, am shocked. The game pretains to Klarth's decendent, who is also a summoner of some sort. (I think the character designer is the person who did the ND2 charas. I'll say it for the billionth time--Fulein Lester's clothes look like a Japanese school uniform gone wrong.)

My source, sadly, is just some guy on GameFAQs, but he provided some image links.... Check here, for those images and what the guy said about them....
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    As long as they don't take their cue from Enix, and call it something like Tales of Tails, or something.

But, then, I guess Sega would have something to say about that one, too.
    edited December 2002
    We already knew about that Tales of the World GBA game. I heard them say that costumes will also play a significant role in the battle system.

That Gamecube ToP game though, where is more info on that?
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"We already knew about that Tales of the World GBA game.I heard them say that costumes will also play a significant role in the battle system. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

*rotfl* The one I was talking about is not "Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2." They are completely different. As the title would suggest, "Summoner's Lineage" has nothing to do with costumes. (Plus there's the fact that ND2 came out a bit less than two months ago and no one had even heard of this one prior to yesterday.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That Gamecube ToP game though, where is more info on that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I've got all the info there is, minus that 43 second movie, on my website... That's really not much, but if you've played the Tales series, you can make a view assumtions based on that video, and I have that up. Don't call it ToP though. It's not really ToP, and that confuses everybody. Namco calls it "New Tales of (Temporary)" since they haven't decided on a name.

Edit: "Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage" is apparently some odd cross between the Tales series and Namco's "Pocket King" fantasy-genre monster-training sim. The character (and the world, as far as I can tell) is from the Tales series, but the summon/monster-training, the general game-play idea, and probably the summonable monsters come from Pocket King. (Pocket King Official Website)

edited December 2002
    I suppose that if there's a "red saffron," we can infer that there's a weaker "saffron," too. What did saffron boost in the old game? Wait a second, I don't remember there being a saffron in ToP! That must mean there's a whole new stat to boost! Charisma? Running Speed? INSANITY?

Possibly. Or not.

In any case, until Namco gives it a name, I'm going to call it Tales of Phantasia GC, because it's what Namco originally revealed it as, and calling it Tales of ..., or Tales of TENTATIVE!!1 sound really stupid. No offense to anyone, though.
    edited December 2002
    But "?V?e?C???Y?I?u(??)" was what Namco called it.... At least when they were openly telling "the masses," as opposed to whispering in the ear of high-up news guys.... I can't show you it on the webpage though, because their most recent update has removed the Line-Up link. O___o; Or maybe it's still there, but they moved it, and I'm too dense to find it?

Speaking of that update, they now have Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage officially announced. *picks up random RPGamer newsie and tosses him toward that webpage* I've got it on my page, but nobody notices me!

edited December 2002
    ?V?e?C???Y?I?u(??) you say? Well, that's a real tongue twister if you don't have Japanese encoding enabled.

What does it say?

edited December 2002
    Shin Tales of (Kari)

Or that last word could be "ka" but I don't think so. It's a kanji, so it means the same thing (tentitive/temporary) no matter how you spell/pronounce it. Shin is also a kanji, so even though there are some fifty definitions to "shin," this one is comfirmed to mean "new," as opposed to "heart" or "truth" or whatever. "Tales of" is in English like always.
    edited December 2002
    I guess I'll just be calling "The New ToP-series game," then.

Anyway, looks like you start with the combo-counter on this one, as opposed to "<span class="spoiler">Having to buy it for half a million Gald</span>", eh?

edited December 2002
    Or "<span class="spoiler">having to get to the bottom of a hideous optional dungeon you can't access til you're 98% through with the game.</span>" I'm thankful for that. :D But since Eternia, all the Tales games have had automatic combo counting. (I don't know whether or not ToP-PSX did.)
    edited December 2002
    Say would you happen to have any information about Namco's Nintendo-exclusive R.P.G. series? The one that they said was totally new and had a completely different kind of battle system?
    edited December 2002
    Sorry, I'm afraid not. Tales is the only thing I faithfully stalk. If the series has a name, I might be able to find something, but...
    edited December 2002
    Oh, the reason I asked, is because If Namco isn't going to put their best efforts into this game (graphics aren't as good as ToD 2), then I'm not interested.
    edited December 2002
    I don't remember the last time a game company decided, "Well, that one was pretty good. I think we can all slack off on the next one, nobody'll blame us if we take a break and only do a half-assed job."

And I'm not talking about your personal taste, to all of you preparing to point to the Final Fantasy series.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Sorry to use an sort of FF example, but lots of people loved FF7, and then Square made SaGa Frontier...
    edited December 2002
    And sorry to disagree, but you'll have to first prove to me that SF didn't fit the vision Square had for it when they made it, showing that they didn't put their entire effort into making it. Just because something is done by a different team, with different tastes (and just because people generally don't like a game) doesn't mean that the game is a throwaway effort.
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Dec. 23 2002,10:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't remember the last time a game company decided, "Well, that one was pretty good. I think we can all slack off on the next one, nobody'll blame us if we take a break and only do a half-assed job."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, they don't always spend as much money on some. Look at Narikiri Dungeon. I think if the GBC can handle Crystalis (though I haven't played the GBC version), it can handle a toned-down version of ToP-SFC's battle system. I'm pretty sure they'd have loved to put a real-time battle system in there, but it woulda taken big bucks to make that work no? And since they were pouring so much money into ToE and who knows what else at the time.... Narikiri Dungeon woulda benefited from more money (it's my third favorite game anyway)....

On the bright side, Narikiri Dungeon has one of the best turn-based systems I've ever seen. (Second only to Valkyrie Profile, which is half real-time.)
    edited December 2002
    I don't think you can really compare the two games that way, since Crystalis was an NES game, and ToP was an SNES game. And I think it really has more to do with the skill of the development team than it does the amount of money being budgeted to the game. If Namco put the "good" Tales team on ToE and some random other group on the other game, then giving the other team more money wouldn't have done very much.

And I remember VP being straight turn-based. Your people went, then the enemies went, then you again, and so on.
    edited December 2002
    Did you mean the GBC's Star Ocean game?

Still, if they're making this new ToP-series game, just for the sake of giving us "an R.P.G.," as opposed to actually trying to create something beautiful and innovative for the gamers, then I think I'll pass.
    edited December 2002
    Well, they're spending over a year on it.... At least they don't tell us about most games until about three months before release.

I haven't played SO:BS. Does it play like ToP?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't think you can really compare the two games that way, since Crystalis was an NES game, and ToP was an SNES game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Eh, Crystalis was an action RPG.... You move around... Poke monsters or use magic whenever you like. And you could jump and stuff. The ToP battle system does that sideways. The big difference is the multiple characters though.... Maybe there's a problem with that many moving sprites....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I remember VP being straight turn-based. Your people went, then the enemies went, then you again, and so on.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It was real-time within each turn. Or something. Well, the book calls it "Turn-based real-time battle."
    edited December 2002
    SO: BS is like Star Ocean 1. You have near 4 or 5 sprites at a time, running around in all directions hacking anything near them, spells going off and filling areas of the screen with burning/freezing pixels of death, and monsters bleeding bouncing numbers all over the floor.

The GBC can handle this, so I think it can handle a ToP-series game.
    edited December 2002
    ... Indeed.

*waits patiently for RPGamer SamoRine coverage*