If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Phantasy Star Online Download Bonanza Revealed

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
Or was it landmine I used to like to say... Bleh. I guess only people in Ontario will remember the horrible horrible KFC commercials that used that line to ill effect back in the late 80s. At any rate, Japanese gamers keep getting shown love by software companies in the form of free stuff... Jealous? =)

..Well, I guess we got that bonus Zelda stuff too... but I like complaining, so nyah!
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• ShaleShale Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I'd say something substantial, but I'm too busy drooling over a GCN version of NiGHTS.
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    I've tried it, and it's HARD without a keyboard.

Basically, you're supposed to practise your "battle typing" skills. ?In one case, you go into a room, and you have to type the words that appear on screen, simple things like "Good Morning," or "I don't like it" complete with punctuation or else you don't get the point. ?Next, you go into the next room, and you have to type battle-appropriate sequences, while fighting monsters at the same time. ?Without a Keyboard, that means you have to run from the monster, type a portion, run again, type some more, and finish before the words scroll off the top. ?Then, when you've had enough typing, take out all the monsters before you lose too many new phrases. Simple things like
    Ouch
    You OK?
    Watch out for traps! ?

Those weren't bad, but when you get something like
    I'm hurt, it's too hard!

with all of its apostrophes and that exclamation at the end, those are the kinds of things you just have to skip. ?Then there's one sequence where you have to incorporate the letters "S O N I C" into the names of weapons and armour, which I didn't understand at all.

Oh, and then theres a bit where you'll see a monster on screen, and you have to type its name before it disappears. That was lots of fun, though.

I got a 'B' rank, and I didn't even get the prize item you need to download the game to you GBA. ?Instead, I got a monomate and 300 Meseta for completing the mission. ?If I had a keyboard I would so own this quest that I'd be allowed to download the mini-game and half of Sega along with it.

• XenotlanXenotlan New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Am I the only one who could care less what they do with this game? The Phantasy Star series was great fun on the earlier systems but after its move to Dreamcast I was totally turned off. Now with it on Gamecube, I still don't care. I keep hoping that one day they will make a Phantasy Star game that goes back to its origins with a battle system similar to the first games. Ah, well. I may be the only one that feels this way, but that's OK. sarcasm.gif
    edited December 2002
    Hey, I bet if I downloaded half of sega I could make them create Phantasy Star 5. Of course, it'd be a GCN/GBA linked game, and you'd have to have both in order to play it, but send me a keyboard, and I'll do my best!
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Q. Mulative @ Dec. 19 2002,07:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hey, I bet if I downloaded half of sega I could make them create Phantasy Star 5.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What does that even mean? sarcasm.gif
    edited December 2002
    (Sigh) all right, I'll explain the joke to you...

See in my second most previous post, I said that if I had a keyboard, I'd "so own that quest," meaning that I'd do so well at it, that not only would I win the ability to download the NiGHTS GBA game, but I'd win half of sega, to download when I need.

Now this guy comes along and posts his irrelevant post about not caring about Phantasy Star, and wanting a new Phantasy Star that's like the old ones, wah wah wah.

So I says to the guy I says, "If I had half of Sega, I could make them create Phantasy Star 5," meaning that owning half of Sega, I may have enough people to direct in making a game. I could then fulfill his wish.

Now let's try to get back on topic: Has anyone tried this quest, with keyboard or without? How was it for you?