If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D: Savage tide Setup

Comments

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Why is Lia not wearing her cloak of charisma? I can't find anything else that would stop her from wearing it.
    Quote: wrote:
    WEAPONS AND ARMORMENT- Natural+Shield+Armor: 12+2+5=19 AC COUNTER: AC/5

-+1 Scimitar (1d6+1, crit 18-20/x2, slashing)
    -Mwk: Kaua'koi: 605gp, 1d6/1d6, x2, 5lbs, slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning
    -Sling (1d4, crit x2, range inc 50 ft, bludgeoning)
    -Mwk Longbow (1d8, crit x3, range inc 100ft, 3lbs)
    -+1 Light Fortification Dragonhide Scale Mail (Green) (+5 AC, max dex +3, armor check penalty -3, speed 20ft)
    -Mwk Heavy Dragonhide Shield (+2 AC, armor check penalty -2)

MAGICAL EQUIPMENT:
    -CLW Potion
    -Everburning Lantern, 1lb 117gp
    -Brooch of Shielding (42)
    -ring of swimming
    -periapt of Wisdom (+2) (E)
    -clw wand (28)
    -Headband of Intellect +2 (E)
    -prayer beads (lesser)
    -scroll of remove disease
    -cloak of charsima +2
    -lesser silent metamagic rod
    -pearl of power, 4th level
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    You can take that Counter bit off the AC btw. We're not using it.
    edited July 2009
    It was likely something from another sheet, or maybe Martin did it.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2009
    We are using my reference sheet template. Counter values are a house rule that never really took off, but I leave it on the template.

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    is everyone on vacation or something, it seems to have gotten really quiet lately.

BTW, I'm thinking about putting Tide on hold after this chapter finishes up (because it ties up a lot of loose ends) and starting a new campaign using Monte Cook's Dragon Delve from dungeonaday.com....
    edited July 2009
    It must be universal. My players at RPG.net also aren't posting. Maybe they did what I did and bought some new games. These days I find myself buying games in bunches only twice a year.

Would we have to create new characters? I'm kinda looking forward to playing a character well past Lv.10. I've only done it once before. Unless, by "on hold" you mean...what we talked about.

edited July 2009
    That is one possibility.

I think this chapter has taken its toll on me wink.gif
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited July 2009
    I'm kinda looking forward to playing a character well past Lv.10.
    Agreed. See also: Sin's game.

I wouldn't be opposed to a brief break from Savage Tide. I'd just be worried that it wouldn't ever start up again, is all...

I keep getting the feeling that we're dancing around some interesting plot points, and that something awesome is going to happen soon, but I agree that the slow pace makes it hard to keep up enthusiasm sometimes.
    edited July 2009
    Agreed. See also: Sin's game.

Yeah, but it's just not the same when you create a character at a high level, plus I can't believe how well Kit's persona has turned out (oh my god, he's actually acting EXACTLY how I envisioned him!! And within alignment perimeters! And convincingly! I almost look good, lol). I'd actually like to see how things work out, and how Kit reacts to it.
    I think this chapter has taken its toll on me

This kind of gameplay is definitely not suited to PbP RP's. It has more of an open-world, "try to complete the main quest while doing all sorts of other tasks" feel to it, and that sort of thing only works for quick, exciting game sessions, or open world video games like Oblivion and Fallout 3.
    I'm still of the opinion story-driven missions, and not "a series of tasks/quests", works best for PnP games...but that's just me, and it's probably just us. My non-story test game at RPG.net was a raving success, but my current story-driven game has been very choppy so far.

Maybe if I developed a story that could include some kind of major story twist at least once a week or so to keep things interesting, but boy that sounds hard. The only thing I can think of is lots of e-mails that report on in-game surprising events. Blah...

edited July 2009
    I still think creating a gaming night with skype or gametable or something would breathe some life into our group. We've been playing the same game for three years and we're how far? This is a very, very long story.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2009
    To be fair, there have been a number of lulls and slowdowns. The first part of the game actually went fairly quickly, or at least, it didn't feel like it dragged. I suspect that's because the first part of the game consisted of small dungeons and short quests that had a very distinct connection to the main storyline. Everything after we started the voyage lost that feeling, and this part has lasted a long time now. It's only just NOW starting to feel like it's all connected; coincidentally, posting has picked up.

But hey, it has still been a very good run. We shouldn't feel bad about calling it a game. I just don't want to stop playing Kit and I like the chemistry this group has developed. Doesn't mean we have to toss our characters. Maybe just break away from the Savage Tide storyline, or have Keno alter the storyline to better suit his DM'ing style. I mean, come on, Kit just got that ring!
    I still think creating a gaming night with skype or gametable or something would breathe some life into our group.

I'm starting to get the impression it's simply not possible for Keno to post after he leaves work, so I doubt this will happen.
    edited July 2009
    If we started a new game with old characters, that could work. I still miss my ranger, though. She was fun. smile.gif I have to admit I've grown attached not only to Lia, but the relationship of the group, so keeping that intact wouldn't be so bad.

I am curious where this story ends up, though. Almost want to clone the characters and see what happens, but don't know how much time it takes to run more than one game. Maybe someone else could run the other game?
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'm glad everyone seems willing to keep going. This chapter is very open ended, because you have an event (the initial attack on Farshore) and then a second event (the actual attack on Farshore) separated by 3 months of time (give or take) and a lot of preparation. I was tempted to just do a bunch of rolling and say "the party managed to do this during the 3 month break" and then move on to the second attack, but I felt
    that would steal a lot of RP occasions.

Anyhow, if I'm remembering correctly, the next several chapters are more a straight forward journey from A->B->C->D->E instead of A
    >B. But I didn't realize we were on Chapter 5, I thought we were just on CHapter 4. Chapter 6 is essentially a straight forward delve into the Underdark of the Isle, and not a "do a bunch of stuff while waiting for an inevitable pirate attack"
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, open ended events that can be altered by the characters is cool and all, but seeing as how we can't really start a "New Game+" and replay the game to see the other endings...it's kinda a waste.

Maybe if we can find some way to streamline the irrelevant or purely statistical stuff designed to bolster the strength of Farshore's defenses so we can refocus on the quest on hand, maybe it can help make the rest of the this chapter play out a lot quicker.
    edited July 2009
    Well, there's just one more event left, depending on how things play out when we get back to farshore.
    edited August 2009
    Oddly enough, Chia's "I only wish I looked this cool" still applies to the Fighter avy, in a subtle, sarcastic sort of way, although we know that is not what he intended, heh.

edited August 2009
    Heh, indeed. Back from Gen Con and the birthday parties of doom, still working on some system conversion stuff at work, might not post updates today, but I'll try.
    edited August 2009
    thoughts on converting to pathfinder rules? The conversion guide is up on paizo.com.
    edited August 2009
    All I see is a message saying "We're experiencing a lot of traffic right now, so many of the site's features are currently disabled".

Since a lot of changes to the classes and system involve "improving" the core classes to match the power of expansion classes, I'm pretty sure Kit's Swashbuckler levels doesn't need much adjustment. This decision would be up to Firemyst, Soulweaver, and Bebop.
    edited August 2009
    I can't access paizo right now either. I kind of want to wait and see if I win the RPGamer contest before I buy the PDF, too.
    edited August 2009
    K, got the conversion guide. It's fairly helpful from what I've read so far, but it does do a lot of D&D 4th edition SRD style "see this table in the rulebook for this information", although having the free Beta version may help there. Soulweaver is gonna be very happy with the changes to Fighter.

Paizo's website is off and on right now. Since the PDF is free, I might be able to send the file to anyone in an e-mail if you want, assuming your service allows a 3mb file.

And fun aside, Paizo is no longer allowed to sell any D&D PDF product. Someone is jealous!

edited August 2009
    (I meant to post a larger update today, but got swamped, maybe tonight.)
    edited August 2009
    I'm inclined to give the ring to Grove and the stone to Gandt, objections?
    edited August 2009
    Fine with me. ::flips a coin:: I would have gotten the stone anyway. :)

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Ring's more than fine with me.

Quick question.

The Control Water spell detailed here

Control Water
    Transmutation [Water]
    Level: Clr 4, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 6, Water 4
    Components: V, S, M/DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area: Water in a volume of 10 ft./level by 10 ft./level by 2 ft./level (S)
    Duration: 10 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: None; see text
    Spell Resistance: No
    Depending on the version you choose, the control water spell raises or lowers water.
    Lower Water: This causes water or similar liquid to reduce its depth by as much as 2 feet per caster level (to a minimum depth of 1 inch). The water is lowered within a squarish depression whose sides are up to caster level x 10 feet long. In extremely large and deep bodies of water, such as a deep ocean, the spell creates a whirlpool that sweeps ships and similar craft downward, putting them at risk and rendering them unable to leave by normal movement for the duration of the spell. When cast on water elementals and other water-based creatures, this spell acts as a slow spell (Will negates). The spell has no effect on other creatures.
    Raise Water: This causes water or similar liquid to rise in height, just as the lower water version causes it to lower. Boats raised in this way slide down the sides of the hump that the spell creates. If the area affected by the spell includes riverbanks, a beach, or other land nearby, the water can spill over onto dry land.
    With either version, you may reduce one horizontal dimension by half and double the other horizontal dimension.

If Lia and Grove were to cast this spell in tandem, would it be possible to lower the water level nearby (very, very nearby obviously since even if it were cast multiple times by each person we'd still only be able to affect as relatively small area) Farshore in such a way to beach the incoming pirate fleet further away from the actual town. Or am I stretching that spell way beyond what it was intended to be able to do?
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited August 2009
    No, that would work, it just depends on how deep Farshore's harbour is, or, if they anchor in shallow water the night before the attack, they can be attacked then too.
    edited August 2009
    hmm, I'll have to see if I can get some exact dimensions of the farshore harbor.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Just as a heads up, the battery in my laptop crapped out.

I just ordered a new one which will probably show up Monday or Tuesday. This shouldn't really affect anything as our postings usually happen during the day and I'm at work so I usually post when I'm there. But since we were starting with the prep before the big attack on Farshore I wanted to let you guys know just in case things were to move ahead more quickly than usual, is all.

Again, shouldn't affect anything, just wanted to let you guys know.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited September 2009
    Level up info:
    Champion of Gwynharwyf 2
    1d12+3 HP
    Skills: Intimidate +1, Listen +3
    BAB +10/+5
    Fort +14
    Smite Evil +3
    Extra 1st level champion spell/day
    Furious Casting: able to cast Champion spells while Raging
    Gandt

Player: Soulweaver

RACE: Half-merrow
    SIZE: Large
    HEIGHT: 8’3” WEIGHT: 409 lb
    ALI: chaotic good

CHARACTER STATISTICS
    ++++++++++++++++++++

ABILITY SCORES:

STR: 24(+7) DEX: 12(+1) CON: 15(+2) INT: 10(+0) WIS: 11(+0) CHA: 9(-1)

HD/HP: 2d12+8d10+1d8+22+11/106(+1d12)

EXPERIENCE:

-Lv.8 Fighter-/ Lv.1 Cleric/ Lv. 2 Champion of Gwynharwyf
    Current: 56005 Next:55000

SAVES:

Fortitude +11 (Class) +2 (Con) +1 (perm, res) = +14
    Reflex +2 (Class) +1 (Dex) + 1 (perm. res) = +4
    Will +4 (Class) +0 (Wis) +2 (feat) + 1 (perm. res) = +7 (against charm, compulsion, and fear)

IN BATTLE:

Base: +10/+5 Melee: +14/+9 Range: +8/+3 (includes -1 due to size and -2 when using tower shield)
    Initiative: +1 (Dex)
    Spell Failure: 0% Spell Resistance: 0
    Move(land): 20 ft., Move(swim): 10 ft. (both include speed reduction from armor)

YOUR COMBAT OPTIONS

+1 holy greatsword (slashing) +15/+10/2d6+12/19-20/x2/+2d6 damage to evil creatures
    -2-handed shield bash (piercing) +16/+11/3d6+11/x2
    -2-handed shield bash (bludgeon) +14/+9/2d6+11/x2
    -Shield Slam: Daze a target for 1 round as part of a charge or single full attack. (Daze DC = 10 + 1/2 fighter levels + str modifer)
    -Shield Charge: make a trip attempt while charging without provoking an att/opp.
    -Lasso: +8/+3 *
    -Armor Spikes (piercing) +14/+9/1d8+7/x2
    -Smite Evil +3: 1/day
    -Smite +4: 2/day **
    -Rage: 2/day, 3+Con rounds. +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 Will, -2 AC.
    -Force power: Reroll any damage roll and take the better of the two rolls, 1/day.
    -Grapple: +4 bonus due to size

SPECIAL DEFENSES:
    -Improved Shield Bash: When you perform a shield bash, you may still apply the shield’s shield bonus to your AC.
    -Total cover: Tower shield can be used as total cover (forfeit attacks, but opponents may not make an attack against total cover).

ARMS, ARMOR, AND GEAR
    #####################

WEAPONS AND ARMORMENT- Natural+Shield+Armor+Size: 17+6+10-1+1 (ring) =33 AC COUNTER: AC/5

-+1 bashing darkwood heavy wooden shield w/ masterwork spikes (4534gp, 10lbs/5lbs, +4AC, -1 check penalty)
    -dagger, 4gp, 2lbs, 1d6
    -+1 Black Crystalline Dendritic Armor 5000gp, 120lbs, +10AC, +0 max dex, -8 check penalty
    +Mwk Armor Spikes, 20lbs
    +1 Large Animated Tower Shield (5160gp, +6AC, +2 max dex, -10 check)
    +1 holy greatsword (18350, 8lbs, 2d6 19-20/x2, slashing)

MAGICAL EQUIPMENT:
    -Gargoyle Crown (E) - Grants Smite 1/day (+4 bonus) and Rage 1/day (like barbarian)
    -Elixir of Swimming
    -Wand of Mage Armor (8)
    -CLW Potionx4
    -CSW Potion
    -CLW Wand (30)
    -belt of ogre power (like gauntlets of ogre power)
    -bone tube (holding scrolls of: hold monster, waves of fatigue)
    -potion of haste
    -Earth Elemental Gem
    -Amulet of Natural Armor +3
    -Gauntlets of Throwing (MIC pg 103, allows throwing a melee weapon with return abilities 3/day)
    -dusty rose prism ioun stone (+1 AC)
    -periapt of wisdom +2

GENERAL GEAR:
    -40 ft. silk rope 8gp 4lb
    -25 ft. rope, 5lb
    -100 ft. hemp rope
    -Trail rations x4, 5sp 1lb ea
    -Waterskin 1gp 4lb
    -Flint & steel 1gp
    -Block & tackle 5gp
    -Fishhook x5, 1sp ea
    -MWK Artisan’s tools (armorsmithing) 55gp 5lb
    -Spell Component Pouch 5gp
    -whetstone 2cp
    -signal whistle 8sp
    -grappling hook 1gp
    -healer's kit 50gp
    -Spire of Sasserine (+2 to gather information/diplomacy checks when worn within Sasserine)
    -Golden Wrestling Trophy Cup (100gp)
    -Antitoxin (vial) x2
    -Ship building equipment (currently in workshop)
    -Tent (20lbs)

Carry: 260/2100 lbs. Load: Light
    Capacity-Lift Overhead=1400 lb, Stagger=2800 lb, Drag=5600 lb
    Light load: 466 lb, Medium load: 467-932 lb, Heavy load: 933-1400 lb.

GEMS: 0GP
    PP: 100 GP: 75 SP: 9 CP: 20 Coin Weight: 4
    -Writ to withdraw 200 gp per month from The Warden’s Vault

SPECIAL ABILITIES

FEATS:-

Current Total: 5
    -Steadfast Loyalty (Champion’s District bonus): Self control and discipline are the birthright of many who grow up in Champion's District, and you strive to uphold these ideals. Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on Will saving throws against charm, compulsion, and fear effects. In addition, if you have the Leadership feat, your leadership score increases by +1.
    -Knight of Stars (ECL1): +1 luck bonus on any roll or check while performing an act of good, 1/day.
    -Improved Shield Bash (Fighter bonus 1)
    -Weapon Focus: shield spikes (ECL3): +1 to attack rolls with shield spikes.
    -Subduing Strike (fighter bonus 2): No penalty when dealing nonlethal with a melee weapon.
    -Shield Specialization: Heavy (PHBII p.82) (fighter bonus 4) (+1 AC bonus when using heavy shields)
    -Shield Charge (ECL 6) - (CW105)– If you hit your opponent with a shield as part of a charge action, in addition to dealing damage normally, you may make a trip attack without provoking an attack of opportunity. If you lose, the defender does not get to try to trip you in return.
    -Shield Slam (Fighter 6 Bonus) - (CW 105) - As a full round action or part of a charge, you can make an attack with your shield that deals damage normally and forces the target to make a DC 10 + 1/2 fighter levels + str modifer or be dazed for 1 round.
    -Righteous Wrath (ECL9) – (BED) – First damage dealt vs. evil foe during a rage causes them to become shaken (Will DC 10 + 1/2 raging class level + cha modifier). Also imparts the ability to maintain clarity of mind during a rage.
    -Improved Toughness (Fighter 8 Bonus) – (CW) – Gain 1 extra HP/level.

Bonus Feat:
    Friend to the Tribe - For all effects related to origin, you are considerd an Olman. For example, you qualify for feats requiring you to be Olman and you may join the Olman affiliation. You gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks made related to the Olman. With a successful DC25 Diplomacy Check, you may requisition a spell cast by a Olman spellcaster. You may request this spell once per week and it is always cast by a spellcaster of the lowest level able to cast the spell. This free spell can have an expensive material component up to 100 gp x your character level or a focus worth up to double that. The spell's level can be no higher than 1/4 your character level.

Class: Fighter 8 / Cleric 1 / Champion 2

CLASS FEATURES:
    - Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).
    -Smite Evil: deal +1 damage per cleric/champion level to an evil target, 2/day.
    -Spontaneous casting: Lose any prepared spell in exchange for a healing spell of the same level or lower.
    -Detect Evil - at will, as the spell (even when raging)
    -Rage, as barbarian
    -Furious Casting - Can cast Champion spells while Raging

-Domains:
    Force: (Su) Reroll any damage roll and take the better of the two rolls, 1/day.
    -Lv.1 domain spell: Mage Armor
    Artifice: +4 bonus on Craft checks, and cast conjuration spells at +1 caster level.
    -Lv.1 domain spell: Animate Rope

SKILLS
    &&&&&&

Total Skill Points: 32
    Point Progress: 4 (Class) +0 (Int) = +4

Armor Penalty: -19

-Appraise (Armor) +2 (synergy)
    -Craft (Armorsmithing) +19 (13 ranks + 4 domain + 2 mwk tools + 0 Int)
    -Craft (Shipbuilding) +9 (+3 ranks +2 mwk tools + 0 int + 4 domain)
    -Heal +3 (+3 ranks +0 wis)
    -Hide -1 (1 Dex - 4 size + 2 affliation)
    -Intimidate +13/+15 (+10 ranks -1 Cha +4 size +2 in Sasserine or colonies)
    -Listen +3 (+3 ranks)
    -Swim +8 (racial: to perform a special action or avoid a hazard, otherwise no check necessary)
    -Move Silently +3 (1 Dex + 2 affliation)

LANGUAGES KNOWN (Bonus +0): Common, Giant

SPELLS
    ^^^^^^

Spellcaster Level: cleric Lv.1, champion Lv.2
    (conjuration spells = Lv.2 due to domain)

Spells per day: Lv.0 x3, Lv.1 cleric x1, Lv.1 champion x1
    Bonus Spells Per Day (Wis): 0
    Spell Save DC: +0
    Spell Failure: 0%

SPELLS PREPARED:

Lv0: Guidance x2, Detect Magic x2
    Lv1 (cleric): Blade of Blood x2 (PHBII p.103)
    Lv 1 (champion): Lesser Restoration
    Domain: Animate Rope

RACIAL TRAITS:

+6 str, -2 dex, +2 con, -2 int, -2 cha.
    Large size: -1 AC, –1 on attack rolls, 10ft reach, +4 grapple bonus, -4 Hide penalty, double lifting and carrying limits.
    30ft land speed, 20ft swim speed.
    Darkvision 60ft.
    +4 natural armor.
    Giant blood: For all special abilities and effects, a half-ogre is considered a giant. Half-ogres can use giant weapons and magic items with racially specific giant powers as if they were giants.
    Automatic languages: Giant and Common. Bonus languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, and Abyssal.
    Favored class: Barbarian.
    Level adjustment: +1.

AFFLIATION SCORE:
    Zelkarune's Horns: +13 - Scrapper (Purchase nonmagical gear and weapons at 3/4 price, including masterwork items but excluding items made of special materials. +2 bonus on Intimidate checks made in Sasserine or its colonies.)
    Seeker's: +6 - Seeker (+2 bonus check on all knowledge checks made at Seeker Library)
    Olman Tribes: 5 (Tribal Warrior) - +2 bonus on hide and Move Silently checks, proficient with one olman weapon.
    edited September 2009
    rolled a 10 for your HP