If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D Savage Tide

Comments

• SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited March 2008
    Gandt heads toward Lia and James, waiting for an explanation.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2008
    Kit doesn't follow Gandt. He instead ducks into the brush and Hides. He will be using Spot and Listen like MAD during this time, like every round, ESPECIALLY behind him, but not to the exclusion of the rest of the party ahead of him (he will check around James a couple times; Kit is more concerned about the area not being monitored).

Kit will not sit around making checks if something bad suddenly happens. He will act, but that depends on the situation. cool.gif

Oh, and Kit will watch out for snakes (another one of Keno's unfortunate demises devil.gif ).

edited March 2008
    Well, Gandt is on alert now. Thinking Kit saw something, he makes his way more cautiously toward James and Lia (Spot & Listen, of course).
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited March 2008
    There's not much cover to be found, but Kit ducks behind a small bush (roughly 2 feet in diameter) and peers out trying to spot anything out of the ordinary.

James and Lia continue to stare at the cliff face. As Gandt approaches, James suddenly puts toward a small outcropping about 80 feet off the ground and to the right of James and Lia's current position. (ahead of the group, slightly)

"I saw some sort of aura moving toward that, but it's out of range now," James says to Lia.

Lia nor Gandt see anything in that direction.
    edited March 2008
    Kit abandons the bush and joins the rest of the group. "I suppose our stalker simply refuses to honestly face us, huh?"
    edited March 2008
    "It looks that way," James replies. "Perhaps he was trying to get one of us to dive off the cliff after the native? I honestly don't know at this point."
    edited March 2008
    Kit shakes his head and shrugs. "I don't know what to tell you. I'm not used to dealing with guys who don't try to kill me by hiding in my closet with a knife."
    edited March 2008
    "This guy's dead, just as soon as I can catch him," Gandt growls. Then he calls up the cliff, "Hey! Come on down here, so I can hit you easier!"

In his frustration, he tries to climb up to where James pointed (but only if it looks like he can scale the wall by using a grappling hook and taking 10).
    edited March 2008
    Gandt begins climbing.

James stares at Kit a moment before turning his attention back to Gandt.

"I'm not so sure that's a wise idea," he calls after the half-merrow.

Gandt makes it up to the narrow ledge without incident. Sitting on the ledge is a boot. Gandt realizes, with a sudden sinking feeling, the boot belonged to Illyria.
    edited March 2008
    Halfway up the cliff, Gandt realizes that James is probably right. ?The cliff does seem a lot taller from up here. ?But he doesn't admit as much. ?"Stuff it," he says instead. ?"You want to let him get away again?"

After getting over his initial shock about the boot, he chuckles darkly to himself. ?"Crafty son of a sow..." he mutters. He looks for any sign of the stalker and uses Detect Magic to try and track where he went from here. ?If there's no trace of him, or if it's too difficult for Gandt to follow, he hides the boot in his backpack and climbs hastily back down. ?"Cover me," he calls down beforehand. He only now realizes how vulnerable he his up on the cliffside.

He doesn't show the boot to anyone for now.

edited March 2008
    Kit smiles. "If you spread your arms, you could be a giant metal bird!"
    edited March 2008
    "Keep laughing. I'll be a giant metal bird right on your head if I fall," Gandt grumbles.
    edited March 2008
    Still smiling, Kit shakes his head. "Nuh, uh! Unlike you, I can move. Fast."

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited March 2008
    Lia watches the banter, suddenly realizing that if Gandt should fall, there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. She asks Tamaska if he smells or hears anything unusual.

"I think the illusion was a ruse to get at least one of us in his line of sight for an attack, from his vantage point above.

"If you think about it, one versus the five of us isn't a fair fight for him... but why does he want to pick a fight to begin with?"
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited March 2008
    Kit shrugs. "You got me. The point of splitting up was to draw him out," looking up at Gandt, Kit begins to frown, "but it appears we may have been too good at the splitting part. Maybe the big guy should come down from there."
    edited March 2008
    (Just to avoid any confusion, Gandt does take 10 on the way down too. But Detect Magic first to see if there's anything to be found up there.)
    edited March 2008
    Tamaska doesn't smell anything out of the ordinary.

A quick scan of the area by Gandt doesn't show up anything other than a few lingering and quickly dissapating auras. In fact, they dissapate before he can identify what type of magic it was.

With a shrug, he scrambles back down to the road.

"Did you find anything?" James asks.
    edited March 2008
    "Some magic was left over up there, but it disappeared before I could get a bead on him," Gandt says shortly. "I must've scared him off." He pauses, then lowers his voice so that only James, Kit, and Lia can hear. "There's more, but I'll tell you later."
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited March 2008
    (Is Grove still much further back with the others? I kind of lost track with what had been happening.)

(I'll have him move up closer so he can see what the commotion is all about.)

\"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited March 2008
    (Yeah, if Grove moves away from the NPCs, Gandt will include him in the conversation too.)
    edited April 2008
    (James was going to suggest that the four wait for the rest of the pary (Grove + NPCs) to arrive before continuing on, because its about mid day.)

James looks at Gandt quizically, but doesn't force the issue. Instead, he glances up at the sun. "It's getting close to midday, perhaps we should just wait for everyone to catch up, before continuing?"
    edited April 2008
    "Sure, we can try out the plan again after we get a bite to eat. ?I'll stay behind next time, if you think that'll make him show himself. ?...Then again, it does seem like the rat-bastard is always one step ahead of us, no matter what we do."

He asks of Grove, "Is there any open ground between here and Farshore? ?All these rocks and mountains are giving him too many places to hide."

"And another thing." ?He shifts the weight of his pack a little. ?"Right before we all entered the tomb where we found you, Grove, we met an old woman out in the forest. ?I just remembered something she said. ?What was it...? ?Something about 'four eyes', watching us. ?I thought she was just talking nonsense, but right about then was when these weird things started happening. ?Do you people maybe have stories about something with 'four eyes'? ?Does it mean anything to you? ?'Cause I bet that's what's following us around."

(For those who don't remember, the conversation took place here, at post #92.)

edited April 2008
    Lia thinks about what she said. "She did say there was a servant after us. This must be that person. What interest could they have in us?"

Lia trails off, glancing at the cliff edge where the illusion was. "Did we ever hear the full story of the attack on Grove? Maybe there's a clue we're missing."
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    Kit shrugs. "I just assumed she was making a crack about her spiders. She was a major cook."
    edited April 2008
    (The details of the attack are pretty straight forward. A flight of 6 gargoyles came in and attacked without warning, decimating Grove's traveling group. Also, Grove knows the trail turns inland after another day or so's travel, but it runs into a forest, before turning south into the plains.)

"Four eyes..." James says absently. "Do you think she meant two creatures, or a creature with 4 eyes?"

He then turns to Lia.

"Do you know any intelligent creatures with 4 eyes?" he asks.

(Grove and the NPCs have arrived at the location, btw.)
    edited April 2008
    (Does Grove know of any stories the islanders might have about "four eyes"?)
    edited April 2008
    (Grove is aware of the following:

Somewhere in the center of the isle dwells a tribe of kopru who are supposedly lead by a deformed kopru with four eyes.

+25XP for a successfuly knowledge get

Don't forget, the party has access to Larissa's (Lavinia's mother) Journal times on the Isle.)

edited April 2008
    Lia thinks for a minute before replying. "The only creature that might match such a description, that I can think of, is an Ettin. However, they're not unusually intelligent and they prefer cold. I don't think we're going to find one here."
    Founder, RPGamer
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    Grove relates the story of the kopru lead by a deformed memeber with four eyes, to the party.

"Old woman? Who was this old woman you met that told you such a story? I can't think of many who would be able to survive long in isolation here."
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited April 2008
    "She was surrounded by spiders," James answers Grove. "And when we were done speaking, she turned into a spider and scurried away. I figure she must've been an Aranea. They're mentioned in mom's journal."