If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D Savage Tide

Comments

• FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited April 2008
    "How far are we from this village? Maybe they think we've trespassed."
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    "Awfully weird way of declaring our transgression," Kit sniffs. "No formal communication of our 'error', just a series of mind-screwing. When somebody does something that villainous, he, or she, or 'it', is usually messed up beyond repair.

But hey, I'll bite. Let's try leaving some kind of 'peace' offering to show this guy we intend no harm. This is not how I normally do things, but then, I don't normally trounce around a jungle while being haunted by a 4-eyed whacko."

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    "What kind of peace offering do you suggest?" James asks. "Grove, do you know anything about these kopru?"

(All Grove knows is that they're savage creatures.)
    edited April 2008
    Kit shrugs. "Food? Medicine? I don't know. I'm not a diplomat."
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    Once again, Kit's offhanded remark causes Grove to pause.

"This is no laughing matter. The Kopru are a very dangerous and savage species. The fact that an Aranea, of all things, should be warnings concerns me greatly. We should make haste to my village as soon as possible to inform my tribe."
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited April 2008
    Gandt watches the cliffs, gnawing on a piece of terror bird jerky and only half listening to the exchange. ?"So, we draw him out with gifts, and then I knock him on the head?"

edited April 2008
    "Personally, I'm against leaving him anything," James says as he too surveys the cliffs.

(James is advocating leaving without trying to placate the "shadow")
    edited April 2008
    Lia doesn't think he's done anything that has really harmed us, but she can't shake the feeling that this is going to change. She's unsure what to suggest, so she eats quietly.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    The meal drags on slowly, without any reconcensus reached on how to deal with the shadow. After lunch, Gandt stays behind while Grove joins Lia, James and Kit in the forward party.

James and Lia scout ahead, staying an average 200-300 yards ahead of Kit and Grove. About mid afternoon, they stop a before an opening in the cliff wall. The cave entrance is tall enough for even Gandt to fit inside, but shrouded in shadows, due to the current position of the sun.

"Looks like a cave," James says, stating the blatantly obvious. "Do you think we should check it out, or wait for Kit and Grove?"

A sudden screech from her owl causes Lia to look up, as four gargoyles descend on the duo. One of the gargoyles is noticeably larger than the other three, and wears a crown.

Surprise Round (Lia can act)

Init:
    Lia: 15
    Grove: 15 (current uninvolved)
    Kit: 12 (currently uninvolved)
    Gargoyles: 8
    James: 6 (joining on next round)

(Kit and Grove are currently 150 yards back, neither have spotted the gargoyles yet.

Map. G is the one with the crown.)
    edited April 2008
    edited April 2008
    Ditto.

(Probably not relevant, but how far away from the action is Gandt & company?)
    edited April 2008
    (they're just flying by, or headed toward the party, or what? Do they have weapons? Are they looking at us?)
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    (They're descending on you, so yeah, I think they're hostile biggrin.gif )
    edited April 2008
    (Gandt and the NPCs are roughly half a mile away.

(yes, they're hostile. They're armed as follows:

The leader has bracers on his arms, and a crown on his head. The others do not appear to be armed. Two are heading straight for Lia, and two (including the crown wearer) are headed for James.
    edited April 2008
    Lia decides they are clearly of bad intention and will fire up Produce Flame and try to hit the closer one coming toward her. She will then move back the way they came. She'll alert James if he isn't facing her. Otherwise, a fireball in the sky should get the message across.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    Surprise Round:

Lia forms a ball of fire, and lofts it at the incoming gargoyle. It's a rather horrid shot, and misses by a wide margin. So bad in fact that it hits the gargoyle (#3) behind the one Lia was aiming at. The gargoyle gets burnt rather badly (-10HP). James nearly jumps out of his skin as Lia flings the fireball.

The gargoyles charge into attack. Lia takes a swipe across the shoulder (-4HP) from the closest of the gargoyles, but manages to dodge the second's attack. Tamaska tries to bite the injured gargoyle, but only manages to grind his teeth on a hard leg.

James somehow manages to avoid being hit by either gargoyle that comes after him.

Round 1:

Lia steps back out of the reach of the gargoyles, then moves a short distance back towards Kit and Grove before turning and throwing another fireball. She targets the one she hit previously, and this one hits as well, scorching it some more (-9HP). Tamaska follows Lia.

Grove and Kit continue to somehow not be aware of the combat....

With Lia moving away, the gargoyles concentrate on James. His armor manages to hold against most of the blows. (-3HP).

James tumbles towards Lia, ending up about 15 feet of her, but no longer surrounded.

Round 2:

Lia throws another fireball before moving back some more. This time misses her target, hitting a different gargoyle (#2) instead (-11HP). Tamaska follows.

Kit catches a flash of fire in the distance.

(Continue forward? run? some other action? Kit and Grove are currently ~200 ft from Lia.)
    edited April 2008
    "Eh? Something going on ahead? Maybe they finally drew the bastard out," Kit says as he draws his bow and a few arrows. He will run towards Lia and James.

When Kit arrives at the scene of battle, he will do one of two things depending on the circumstances:

1) If James and Lia seem healthy and combat is proceeding normally, Kit will start his arrival round with an arrow fired at any gargoyle not engaged in melee; 2 if possible.

2) If either James or Lia seem to be in serious trouble, Kit will switch back to his rapier, get behind the gargoyle responsible for making James/Lia's life difficult, and Backstab it. If this would draw Atks. of Opps, Kit will use his new Acrobatic Backstab skill trick.

**Wow. My comp says it's been a full month since I've opened Kit's ref. sheet.

edited April 2008
    Grove draws and loads his crossbow before chasing after Kit.

When he arrives at the scene he will initially stay towards the rear, firing bolts at the closest enemies.

If anyone is severely injured by the time he gets there, he will focus on healing instead.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited April 2008
    Round 2 (cont.):

Kit and Grove start running. They spot the gargoyles at the end of their movement (Kit is about 80ft from Lia, Grove 140ft.)

The Gargoyles again swarm around James. The first one misses (leader), as James dodges to the side, while the second one (#1) nearly flies into the cliff wall, giving James a chance to counter attack. His dagger slices through gargoyle hide with ease, causing the gargoyle to twitch (stunned - 4 rounds; -12HP). The third one (#2) nearly flies into the stunned gargoyle, again allowing James to counter attack. Again he strikes, this time doing significantly less damage (-5HP). The remaining gargoyle flies in and hits James (-6HP).

James again tumbles away from the gargoyles, towards Lia.

Init & Status:
    Lia: 15, Spu: ProdFlam (flame time remaining, 3 minutes). -4HP
    Grove: 15
    Kit: 12
    Gargoyles: 8 (-0, -12HP/Stunned 4 rounds, -16HP, -19HP)
    James: 6, -9HP (the Force is strong with this one.)

(Actions for Lia?)
    edited April 2008
    Lia has fireballs left, so she'll try and find a spot to have a clear shot at any of them, in order of preference: stunned, leader, other.

If she can't toss a fireball without risking James, she will back into the loop to the west (? no compass ^^) and go south around it to try and attack from the side.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    (Lia and James are both off the top of the map now... Just assume that the trail is roughly the same as the map shows, without a cave.)
    edited April 2008
    (well, what fun are you.. tounge2.gif Just move back down the trail toward the others, then.)
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    Round 3:

Lia throws a ball of fire. It flies past James and slams into the stunned gargoyle, burning intensely (-11HP, burning).

Grove continues running, and reaches Kit.

Kit draws back and lets fly a pair of arrows at the most obvious target, the burning gargoyle. Both arrows hit, but simply bounce off.

The stunned gargoyle remains where he is, unable to move. The remaining three again swarm James. James manages to duck, dodge and weave and not actually get hit. Unfortunately, he's not so lucky when he tries to tumble away (-6HP), but he does manage to move 15 feet away.

Round 4:

The stunned gargoyle gets burnt a little (-1HP).

Lia lofts another ball of fire at the stunned gargoyle. Again she hits, scorching it heavily (-8HP)

Grove fires his crossbow at the burning gargoyle. The bolt blasts right through the gargoyle's head, dropping it instantly. (+1 kill)

Kit fires a pair of arrows at the next most injured gargoyle. One misses, and one hits, but it simply bounces off again.

The gargoyles swarm James again. This time they have a bit more success. James takes a particularly nasty claw to the side of the head (-10HP) and another down his arm (-4HP).

James tumbles away again, this time managing to successfuly get past the gargoyles. He's now only 15 feet from Lia.

Init & Status:
    Lia: 15, Spu: ProdFlam (flame time remaining, 1 minute). -4HP
    Grove: 15, +1 kill, 1 bolt used
    Kit: 12, 4 arrows used
    Gargoyles: 8 (-0, -16HP, -19HP)
    James: 6, -29HP

(Actions?)
    edited April 2008
    Kit rolls his eyes at his lack of success with the bow and decides to go with his enchanted rapier instead.

Kit is tempted to finish off the stunned gargoyle, but he decides to take pressure off James. He will move over to James and try to shield him from the gargoyles. Until Gandt arrives, Kit will do one of the following defensive actions:

-If Kit is able to pull the gargoyles off James, and manage to stay in one spot, he will make a full attack with his rapier on whatever gargoyle looks the most injured, but he will use Combat Expertise to increase his AC by 5.
    -If Kit has to move to keep shielding James, he will use an Aid Other on whatever gargoyle is attacking James to improve James' AC

Once Gandt arrives, Kit will switch to the offensive (flank and backstab whatever Gandt is attacking, finish off the stunned gargoyle, etc).

edited April 2008
    Gandt plods along with the rest of the group, and probably won't show up for awhile. He's alert for danger, but it would probably take a miracle (or a natural 20) for him to see or hear anything at this distance.
    edited April 2008
    Grove will move into position to start firing bolts at the gargoyles attacking James.

If he starts to take any more damage he'll move close to him and cast Cure Critical Wounds.
    edited April 2008
    Lia will use CMW on James, then her final fireball on Mr. -19 HP
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited April 2008
    Round 5:

Lia moves forward and casts her spell on James, but it seems to have only a slight effect (+10HP).

Grove fires another bolt. ?It simply bounces off the gargoyle.

Kit moves forward, he stops beside James.

The Gargoyles surge forward. ?The leader attacks James, but his armor manages to withstand the claws. ?A second gargoyle attacks James as well, but James easily dodges the attack. ?The third goes after Kit, but Kit proves too nimble to hit.

James attacks, slicing the leader once hard across the chest (-10HP), then follows that up with another quick attack that leaves a minor scratch (-3HP).

Round 6:

Lia tosses her remaining fire ball at the wounded gargoyle. ?Maybe it was the wind, but the fireball doesn't travel far. ?Worse yet, only an alert dodge by Kit keeps him from getting burnt.

Grove fires another arrow. ?It hits the gargoyle next to Kit dead center in the chest, and simply shatters, sending wood shards flying.

Kit stabs the wounded gargoyle to his left. ?And then stabs it again for good measure. ?(-15HP total).

The gargoyles press their attack. ?James gets ripped open by a pair of claws (-13HP total) from the leader, who follows up with a bite that crushes James shoulder (-6HP), but he manages to avoid getting gored. ?The middle gargoyle, seeing James weakened, concentrates his attacks on the half-drow. ?He only manages to bite James, but its enough to leave James hurting (-6HP). ?The remaining gargoyle attacks Kit. ?Kit dodges and weaves and dodges and weaves and manages to come out of the fray no worse for wear.

James steps behind Kit and drinks a potion. ?A few of his wounds close up (-7HP)

Init & Status:
    Lia: 15, Spu: ProdFlam, CMW. -4HP
    Grove: 15, +1 kill, 2 bolt used
    Kit: 12, 4 arrows used
    Gargoyles: 8 (-13HP, -16HP, -34HP)
    James: 6, -37HP

(Actions?)

edited April 2008
    No change.

(7 HP damage for two hits? Kit's rapier attacks deal 6-10 HP damage per shot )

edited April 2008
    (hmm, for some reason, I read that as 1d6 +1... not sure how. I'll correct it.)