If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

D&D Savage Tide

Comments

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    Grove moves towars James and casts Cure Critical Wounds on him.

Once that's taken care of, he will go back to shooting at the gargoyles.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    (Mikel was in a car wreck over the weekend, he's okay, but between that and moving I think he's kind of forgotten Lia for a bit wink.gif

Round 7:

Lia steps back besides James, says a quick incantation and waves her hand, and a ray of burning fire leaps forth and strikes the crown wearing gargoyle. (-11HP).

Grove hustles forward and ends his turn next to James.

Kit covers James, and strikes at the most wounded gargoyle. It's enough to bring the gargoyle down (+1 kill)

The Gargoyles turn their attention on Kit. The crown wearer clumsily attacks, giving Kit a brief opening. It's all Kit needs to score a painful strike (-11HP). The second Gargoyle manages to get two claws on Kit, scratching him badily (-10HP), but it fails to bite the tiefling.

James continues to maintain his defensive stance.

Round 8:

Lia casts another spell. This time two rays of light streak out from her finger tips to strike the crown wearing gargoyle (-9HP). He's beginning to look a little worse for wear.

Grove casts his spell on James, healing a large number of his wounds (+21HP). James gives him a nod of thanks.

Without the need to protect James, Kit turns his full attention on the remaining gargoyles. He strikes the least wounded one once (-9HP).

The Gargoyle Kit attacked, deciding the odds are no longer in their favor, begins to withdraw. The crown wearing Gargoyle, shouting in definance, attacks Kit. He strikes the tiefling hard with his claws (-13HP), misses with his teeth, but then gores Kit, knocking him to the side (-6HP).

James leaps forward, daggers flashing. Unfortunately, its all show and no substance.

Init & Status:
    Lia: 15, Spu: ProdFlam, CMW, MM, Scorch Ray. -4HP
    Grove: 15, +1 kill, 2 bolt used, SPU: CCW
    Kit: 12, 4 arrows used, -29HP
    Gargoyles: 8 (-44HP, -25HP (withdrawing))
    James: 6, -16HP

(Actions?)
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2008
    (Eek. Totally sucky, but at least he's all right)

Kit won't let them flee that easily. Acrobatic Backstab on the crowned one (Tumble to get behind, Backstab if successful). He'll finish off the other gargoyle if it's not possible to hit the crowned one.

Kit won't give chase if they manage to flee too far ahead.
    edited April 2008
    Grove reloads his crossbow (if he hasn't yet) and fires at the crown wearing gargoyle.

(Glad to hear Mysty man is okay)

\"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited April 2008
    Round 9:

Lia leaps in with her scimitar. She slips, but luckily the slide takes her under the outstretched claw of the gargoyle.

Grove reloads and fires. And misses.

Kit tumbles behind the crown wearing gargoyle and stabs. It's a decent shot to the back (-9HP).

The Gargoyle turns and attacks Kit. Kit weaves, parries and ducks enough to somehow avoid the vicious assault. (OOC: the Gargoyles have requested I go buy new dice for them.) The other gargoyle continues to withdraw, he's now effectively out of range (240ft away, heading out over the water.).

James tries another dagger assault. This time he's a little luckier, managing to land one light slash (-5HP)

Round 10:

Lia attacks again, she manages to make a small slash (-4HP).

Grove reloads and fires again. And again he misses!

Kit continues the assault. Unfortunately he just can't quite hit the gargoyle.

The Gargoyle attacks Kit, who dodges the swiping claws, but takes a small bite wound (-3HP).

James attacks again, and again manages only a minor little scratch (-3HP).

Round 11:

Lia steps in a slashes the gargoyle down the center of his face. He howls in pain (-5HP, -1 Con, Cha).

Grove fires another bolt. And again he misses!

Kit decides he's had enough of this gargoyle. He launches a furious attack that ends with the gargoyle dead at his feet (+1 kill)

EXP Earned:

Lia: 680, Kit 820, James 840, Grove: 925, Gandt: 340

Spoils: Bracers of Armor+2, Gargoyle Crown.

"I think we should wait here for Gandt and the others," James says.
    edited April 2008
    "Where is that dawdling bull? I thought he was right behind me," Kit looks down at his wounds and sighs. "This place is murder on my clothes."

Kit will seek healing. He will want to get his damage under 10 HP.
    edited May 2008
    "Praise the Sun. While we were unable to destory all of those foul creatures, I feel more at ease knowing that there are fewer of those damned things to torment the isle."

Grove then puts away his crossbow and draws his CLW wand. He'll offer healing to anyone who asks.

"We should probably start moving again as soon as the others arrive. That last creature might try to call reinforcements."
    edited May 2008
    Grove expends 5 charges from the wand to cure most of Kit's wounds (+23HP) and two to cure most of Jame's remaining wounds (+14HP).

"Feeling better now?" James asks Kit. He then turns to Grove, "I wonder if this one was some sort of leader, maybe that will deter any more from coming?"

It's a good 30 minutes before Gandt and the rest of the group come into view. They stop and James quickly brings them up to speed on what happened. Urol snatches up the crown and begins examining it, and seems generally excited by the find.

Grove reiterates his desire to move on, (there are about 2 hours of daylight left).

(Any actions?)
    edited May 2008
    (Yeah, don't forget to grab the Bracers of Armor +2)
  • SoulweaverSoulweaver Artist - 6 Eyes Studio OrlandoFull Members
    edited May 2008
    (Hope Mikel's okay...)

"Hey, whatcha got there?" Gandt says to Urol, plucking the crown away and giving it a look-see. He even tries it on. But he loses interest quickly and gives it back in short order. He studies the bracers too, but doesn't keep them. (Can anyone here even make use of them? Anyone with +2 armor bonus or less?)

"So, are we giving up on the plan then?" he wonders aloud as they move on, noticing that they haven't come any closer to drawing the shadow out.
    edited May 2008
    "These gargoyles have convinced me to keep moving," Kit replies to Gandt. "We may eventually draw the shadow out, but until we do, there is an untold number of meanies and nasties lurking in this jungle. The gods know we don't want to get ambushed by a much larger creature like this. We're fighting on this guy's terms, and that's not good for anyone. I say we just focus on getting to the Vanderboren settlement as quickly as possible for now on. If we keep going on like this, attrition will eventually set in.

I'd rather die in a warm bed and in the arms of a pair of gorgeous women, not in this cursed place," Kit grumbles something else about "elven babes" before staring at the ground with a somber look.
    edited May 2008
    (as far as I know he's okay, I really haven't talked to him much lately.)

Gandt grabs the crown, and immediately Urol starts screaming and jumping and trying to get it back. "Give me that you big oaf! It's a priceless artifact!"

As Gandt places it on his head, the crown resizes to fit perfectly. Gandt feels as if a surge of power lies just out of his grasp. (the crown grants a Smite 1/day and Rage 1/day, both of which have already been used for today by the gargoyle lord. Pitifully, I might add).
    edited May 2008
    "Well, who better to keep it safe, then?" Gandt sniffs at Urol. He will keep the crown.
    edited May 2008
    Kit points and laughs at Gandt, but he doesn't explain why.
    edited May 2008
    Urol jumps about, trying to take the crown from Gandt. The spectacle is quite amusing prompting Avner to quip, "Only fools would fight over a crown so gaudy."

After a bit more arguing, Urol finally stomps off muttering to himself.

The group departs shortly there after, hoping to put as much ground between themselves and the site of the battle before dark as possible. They settle in for the night on a low lying section of the road along side a wide beach, the first such beach they've seen since the lifts. Here, however, no huts line the beach.

The night passes quietly and quickly, although Lia and Grove both wake feeling vaguely uneasy in the morning. Lia had dreams of dark, steamy jungles filled with twisted and corrupt plantlife. She was all alone, but strangely didn't feel scared.

Grove, on the other hand, dreamed he was in a dark pit, with the darkness slowly closing in around him. He wakes with the smell of sulphur still fresh in his nose.

(Grove remembers this beach from his trip up the road a week or so prior, and knows that the party will have to turn inland after about another 5 hours of travel. Furthermore, he knows the inland path cuts through the mountains and takes another 6-7 hours of travel to reach the other side.)

The party reaches the entrance to the pass without incident, and after a quick lunch, head inland. The passage, through narrow twisting canyons, is a stuffy and miserable affair, and before long, Avner is complaining about various thrings, from Amellia's poor captaining skills, James' poor leadership, the smelliness of Ogres, and the untrustable reputation of tieflings, and the slatternly nature of runaway nobles. At this last bit, Lirith draws her sword and charges Avner.

(Does anyone interfere?)
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2008
    (I'm back~ Thanks for all the well-wishing ^^)

Lia wakes from her dream, a bit shaken. She asks people in turn throughout the morning if they had any dreams. She will brush it off as stress from yesterday's fight unless someone else also had a dream of darkness. If she finds someone else did as well, she'll bring it to James' attention.

Lia shouts at Lirith to stop and draws her weapon. She does not attack, yet. More of a reaction than anything, really.

(elven babes? o.o)
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited May 2008
    (lol)

When Avner mentions Tieflings, Kit only chuckles. "I honestly can't argue with that."

When Lirith goes after Avner, the Tiefling in Kit kicks in. Kit thinks back to the cut Avner gave the Tiefling and he suddenly has a flash of vengeful rage. As illogical as it would be to allow the nobleman to die, Kit doesn't do a single thing to stop it. He hopes Lirith succeeds in cutting Avner down.

Despite the comotion, Kit will scan the canyon for danger.

edited May 2008
    (I want to try something the next time the party stops, just so you know.)

<div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Kit points and laughs at Gandt, but he doesn't explain why.</div>
    Gandt doesn't see what's so funny. ?Suspicious, he checks his belt for any stray pink ribbons. ?He probably won't understand it until he sees himself in a mirror with that gaudy crown.
    <div></div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">Lirith draws her sword and charges Avner.</div>
    Gandt had been tuning Avner out and, not getting the significance of what had just been said, is completely surprised at Lirith's actions. ?He reflexively shouts, "Hey, what're you doing, lady?!" ?However, he doesn't step in, letting Avner take care of himself.

Actually, he's on the verge of giving Lirith a hand. ?He gives James a look that says, Come on, can't I?
    edited May 2008
    Grove awakes from the dream deeply disturbed and continues to be distraught for the rest of the day. He knows that the dream can only be an ill portent of things to come.

=====================================

When Grove sees Lirith charge he gives an exasperated sigh and tries to intercede, protecting Avner, who happens to be testing even Grove's patience.
    edited May 2008
    Grove intercedes and gets Lirith to sheath her sword. (+25XP) Of course, this gives Avner ample time to draw his own.

"You should have let me cut her," he says to Grove.

Near the end of the day, the group reaches the end of the pass, and stare out over a vast forest stretching as far to the west, north and south as the eye can see. Here and there patches of fog drift lazily amongs the trees. A lake is visible far in the distance.

James suggests that the party make camp here for the night, before pressing into the forest.

(Actions?)

(Watch requests?)
    edited May 2008
    Kit audibly groans at the sight of the sea of trees. He does his best to SPOT any sign of Farshore in the distance.

Kit will do a little scouting around the campsite. When the watch discussion comes up, Kit volunteers to pair with Lirith. ?cool.gif

edited May 2008
    Lia requests the first watch or the last watch if someone isn't sleepy yet.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited May 2008
    (Time to spice things up a bit ?cool.gif )

As the party settles down for the night, Kit suddenly has a thought. He watches a few birds fly around, then trudges over to Lia and sits next to her.

"I've been thinking...it's been bugging me for a few days now, and I just have to know," Kit says as he nervously tugs on one of his horns. "How the hell do you transform into animals? Does it hurt? Does the fur make you itchy? Do you have a craving for bugs when you're a bird? Using a little magic to make an area darker is pretty simple, but transforming into other creatures? It's just...kinda weird to me."

edited May 2008
    To Avner, Gandt says, "Shut up. Keep complaining, and Lirith's sword'll be the least of your problems. ...No, of course that's not a threat. You'd know if I was threatening you. But you'll attract worse things with all your noise."

To Lirith, Gandt says, "You could've taken him. I was cheering for you." (When Avner's not listening, of course.)

Gandt will take whichever watch Grove does (preferably first watch). When he's sure everyone else is asleep, he shows Illyria's boot to Grove. He explains what it is and the circumstances under which he found it.

"I figure our shadow put it up there to scare us, so I don't know if I should go and show it to the others or not. They've got enough on their plates right now." He figures that, out of everyone, Grove should be the least distressed by the boot, considering that he doesn't have any connection to Illyria whatsoever. (icon4.gif) "This is where you come in. Now, I hate asking for help, and I hate owing favors. But if you can help catch that bastard, I don't care." He pauses, then grumbles, "I'd owe you one."

Gandt asks Grove if he knows any divination magic that can either a) find someone who has handled the boot recently, or b) find Illyria's other boot (since the shadow might have looted the other one from her corpse as well).

If it ends up Grove can't help, Gandt will (grudgingly) show the boot to Lia the next chance he gets, with the same promise of a favor owed. Except instead of requesting magical aid, he will ask if Tamaska can detect any odd scent about it. The idea being that if Tamaska could identify the shadow's scent left behind on the boot, he might be able to track him.
    edited May 2008
    (I know Read Magic wouldn't help, but would Detect Magic be beneficial? I'm a little hazy after reading, I would assume it would help to detect magical auras on the boot, but I'm not sure if it would help it locating similar auras, such as from the person/thing that left it.)
    edited May 2008
    (One could argue that the third level Cleric spell "Locate Object" could be used to find the general direction of missing boot. This is something I would allow.)
    edited May 2008
    (I will argue, sir. Thanks btw. wink.gif )

Grove will take the first watch with Gandt. He will offer to use the Locate Object spell when he gets a chance to swap a spell for it. (Let's go with Remove Curse)

Grove turns down Gandt's offer for a favor. "It's my duty, friend, to offer aid to whoever needs it."

"If it's not asking too much, perhaps, you could tell me a little about your lost comrade."

(Don't spare any flattery. tounge2.gif )
    edited May 2008
    Lirith smiles at Gandt, then turns her attention back to Kit.

Avner makes his horse as comfortable as possible, all the while muttering under his breath. Skald and Amellia gather firewood and soon have a decent fire going. They both report a feeling of deep unease the closer they got to the forest.

Kit looks south. Other than mountains and forest, he really can't see anything. Although he thinks, perhaps, he might have seen the glint of sunlight off of water, far in the distance.
    edited May 2008
    Lia looks at Kit, surprised at the question. She decides the question is genuine and gives it some serious thought.

"It doesn't hurt, really. It's so quick that I am a bit disoriented as I adjust to the new form, but that last such a short time too. As for the fur itching, to be honest, I only use it in battle, so I simply haven't had a chance to notice something like that.

Nothing quite prepares you for flight. It's one of the best things I've experienced in the world."
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited May 2008
    "Huh," is all Kit says in reply. He studies Lia with a curious look, possibly wondering where everything goes during transformation, when he suddenly stops. He almost appears shocked, and gives Lia an odd stare...almost like he is seeing her for the first time.

He gets up and walks over to Gandt. After a quick nudge, he begins to talk to the half-ogre in hushed tones. "Did you know Lia is an elf? I mean, REALLY an elf. I can't believe I never noticed before. Well, no, I did, but I guess it just didn't click before, but now...hey, what's with the boot?"

Kit doesn't notice he is interrupting Gandt and Grove until he's right in Gandt's face.