If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Music Thread

Comments

• tastyanimalcrackerstastyanimalcrackers New Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    hmm... I'm really into Alt. Rock, New Wave, Industrial, Electronica, Some Techno, Dream Pop, and Classical. Currently, i'm really in love with bands like: Mew, Bloc Party, Minus the Bear, Royksopp, Trentemoller, The Knife, Mother Sparrow, Eisley, The Decemberists, Joanna Newsom, Depeche Mode, Grendel, and Crystal Castles.

I never listen to the radio, but when I was in Seattle, I really fell in love with KEXP. I also love Studio Ghibli Soundtracks and of course, Yasunori Mitsuda is my musical hero, hands down.
  • NergalNergal The Don Full Members
    edited December 2008
    So, I got one of those last.fm thingies.
  • me<3you^_^me<3you^_^ New Member Full Members
    edited January 2009
    I'm listening to Armor For Sleep - Dream To Make Believe. A classic album turn.gif

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited January 2009
    I finally got around to picking up some Thievery Corporation along with dZihan & Kamien after listening to them for over a year on Pandora and a good "lounge/trip-hop/acid jazz" internet radio station. Excellent stuff smile.gif
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • GuttermouthGuttermouth Member Full Members
    edited February 2009
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=VsLQKJDi9ak <-- my buddy Aaron's band. the song is called Break

It's a music video my buddy Doug did for them as a school project here at Sheridan, i'm animating their second video; different song, different medium smile.gif

You'd call them punk rock, but i'd throw this into a more rock groove. Well, this particular song.

Videos kinda fun, songs kinda fun, figured i'd see what you guys thought smile.gif
  • tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited February 2009
    Got this stuck in my head again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkIoPrtQjqA << Ghost in the Shell "Kugutsuuta ura mite chiru" tounge2.gif
    edited February 2009
    Been on a massive Jesus and Mary Chain and The Cure kick of late. Awesome stuff.
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited February 2009
    I've been listening to Empire Of The Sun's Walking On A Dream.

Its just gets stuck in your head.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited March 2009
    Not only did I not realize that U2 had a new album out last week (ok I knew it was coming but I thought it was later this month) their private Boston concert is happening within a 40 minute walk of my apartment tonight.

I feel like the worst fan ever. I might try to take a walk over to see how huge a crowd shows up outside get some photos.

• tebiantebian Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    didnt realize that Boston still did concerts now that would be sweet
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited March 2009
    So Shoptroll, You must report back to us. The new cd was actually rather good. I was listening to parts when FB was playing it the other night.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited March 2009
    I just got home and need to make dinner first. Had to drop off one of my co-workers who lives not far away from the venue but we opted not to risk getting close to the mob so I have no idea how many people are there.

Fire department is anticipating 10,000 people in the area which is way way way more than the square can handle.

Local news coverage: http://blogs.townonline.com/somerville/

EDIT: Hmmm... see if I can get anywhere near the crowds or just stay home and listen to the very crisp radio broadcast of the "show" (The Globe says it's a Q%A with 4 songs >_>) which I will probably miss if I go?

EDIT2: Photo Gallery: http://www.wickedlocal.com/somervi....erville Not mine, but probably better and closer than anything I could do.

EDIT3: An hour later... the concert + Q&A session are over. I need to get this album now. The selected questions were quite good!

• SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Haha! Nice! I'm glad that you chose the safe way out.

I would probably have been insane enough to scale walls and do all sorts of nutsy things.

The album is so totally worth it, and those that disagree will have to take it up with Shop, Myself, and FB.
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
    edited March 2009
    The @U2 twitter feed said there was maybe a 100 or so people waiting outside the theatre, not 1000 or 10,000 like the fire department was expecting. I'm sure that estimate kept people like myself away from this.
  • HK-47HK-47 Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Currently into Tonight: Franz Ferdinand. Listened to it so many times...
    But I do have to love Ulysses and What She Came For.

Also Tom Jones, get that feeling of nostalgia and a sense of peace when I listen to him. The same goes for Tony Bennett and various Jazz artists though.
  • AntaeusAntaeus Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Well, basically I listen to all genres. I study music at the university so I thought myself to be very objective towards music. In many cases you see that music belongs to a subculture. For example, there is a lot of hate towards hiphop because of the culture it belongs to. I kind of stopped thinking like that. Because of that I can appreciate most music, or at least judge it more objectively.

Anyway, the genres I paid most attention to are rock and metal(most subgenres), electronica(with most subgenres) and classical music. Of course, I am a big videogame music fan as well, but since that touches a lot of different genres, I find it hard to categorize it. I am a big fan of classical music as well, mostly from the classical and romanticism era. There are a very few pop singers that I can stand(good 'pure' pop music is just so rare nowadays). In jazz music I tend to like the rags of Scott Joplin.

and yeah, I have a last.fm profile. I started that page on 2004(somewhere in the middle of my teenage years) till now. I like to see how my music taste changed so rapidly in those years. Oh well, link is in my signature.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    I went to see Cradle of Filth tonight. Single worst concert experience of my life. Needless to say they are dead to me.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited June 2009
    Listening to Kingdom Hearts Piano Collection. Very nice selection of tracks and overall very skillfull arrangements, though a few aspects of its execution were a little questionable. Overall a very good album though.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Hit Rock the Bells this weekend. The fantastic line-up did not disappoint, although with 2 stages over about 10 hours there's definitely stuff I missed which would have been awesome to see, like Slum Villiage. Best surprise by far was Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh sneaking on stage and doing a full set when the weren't on the playbill. Also ended up within touching distance of Busta Rhymes randomly while searching for a drunk, lost homie. Good times.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • gabor.sviatkogabor.sviatko New Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Very mixed, depends on the mood. Likes trance and electronic music but not the hard techno stuff (eg. Gabriel & Dresden)
  • mr. nailsmr. nails Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    i listen to all the classic music. rock, industrial, metal, grunge, anime/video game ost & goth. lol, i'm sure there's other types of crazy names out there for the crap i listen to.
    [url=\"relaxl.png[/url]
    *Short Video Link in Banner*
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Currently listening to a pretty decent Deathcore band called Fallujah... intense, dark, and brutal!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited September 2009
    Been on a weird Nerdcore Hip-Hop streak lately. Something is wrong with me...
    edited September 2009
    Brushing up on my Kamelot and Nocturnal Rites, both of who are playing Progpower 2010... ahh it is going to be majestic!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Been on a weird Nerdcore Hip-Hop streak lately. Something is wrong with me...
    Nothing wrong with that, speaking as a hip-hop fan in general some of those cats are skilled, I particularly like MC Hawking. In a similar style track to MC Hawkings work check out Chemical Calisthenics by Blackalicious. Not really nerdcore artists but this one fits the genre and I feel good plugging their music, Gab's a genuinely good cat. He went to school here at UCD while I was in highschool and worked at a telemarketing firm with a friend of mine, so postwork hiphop discussions were common.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • MangaMaster19MangaMaster19 Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Mostly hiphop/rap, some rock, a variety of j-music, some r&b, and some reggae. I come across some other things i like once in a while too.

(Most Anticipated Titles Of May: <span style=\'color:red\'>ModNation Racers, Lost Planet 2</span>)
    [url=\"http://backloggery.com/manga_master\"]sig.gif[/url]
    [url=\"http://www.userbars.com\"]aw476w.png[/url]
    [url=\"http://www.userbars.com\"]sxc2o5.png[/url]
  • Fish FoodFish Food New Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I listen to mostly Christian Metal yes i know (bash away if you must all of you non christian metalheads) tounge2.gif lol. Though i wish i would buy more metal albums then i do sad.gif

But yeah so that's what i mainly jazz out too driving to work or whenever really. I work as a Janitor in a rival high school so I'm kind of the odd janitor man out when it comes to my music taste in metal i only know of a few kid's at the high school that go to school there that I've talked to that are into metal as well like myself.

Bands like

A Thousand Times Repent
    Dark Lay Still
    I Built The Cross
    Orphan Project

And some 80's good old Metal as well thrown in.

smile.gif
    edited May 2010
    Currently enjoying the debut album from Solution .45, Chrsitian Alvestam's project post Scar Symmetry. Sounds like... Scar Symmetry biggrin.gif
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    I just realized that The Dio is dead. Dammit.
    edited May 2010
    A Place to Bury Strangers is my favourite new band (of the past 10 years). They're so awesome!