If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XII slightly more revealed

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2002
    It looks steam-punk, a la Final Fantasy Vi. me is very excited.

heck, i'd be excited it it was FF6.
  • Joseph WithamJoseph Witham Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    To me, this scene looks more medieval than futuristic or steam punk. Just look at the clothing; it is very middle-ageish. Also, the buildings look like gothic-style skyscrapers in
    a medieval world, things you wouldn't have seen back then, but Square's creativity brings such impossibilities to life. Also, that airship definitely does not sport the futuristic look that the FF8/FF10 airships do.

Did anyone else notice that Chocobo head at the very bottom of the scene?
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    It's Final Fantasy, and perhaps it deserves all the anticipation its recieving so far. As for me, I'm not as excited as many of you openly express. Why? Well, I'm not particularly impressed by the staff, and considering that I'm happy with 90% of Sakaguchi's work in the series, I'm not very fond of the fact that his role in the twelfth installment is limited. I also liked Nomura's art designs, but it looks as if Yoshida's style may fit the atmosphere shown in the poster much better. Maybe I'm afraid of change? What am I, a hypocrite? Here I am talking about 'change-isn't-good' when I'm one of those who defend FFVIII and X.
  • PKFCPKFC Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Super tall building? *cough* Star Ocean Till The End of Time *cough* oh... pardon me... I seem to be catching a cold tounge.gif
    So which game will come out first: Dragon Quest VIII or Final Fantasy XII? tounge.gif My money is on FFXII, but I hope I'm wrong tounge.gif/biggrin.gif
  • GendoGendo Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    Give this man a cookie. ?Everything you said was absolutely perfect man. ?Where are our 3D CT's, FF6's, and SoM's. ?Those games are absolutely perfect gems. ?Hear hear. Bravo!

P.S. ?A return to the 'one-or-two games a year' thing sounds like bliss--imagine the quality. ?::nostalgic shivers:: ? laugh.gif

• Options
    edited December 2002
    Yes Aaediyen, I do agree with you in some areas:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Square hasnt produced a good tittle since FF7/FFTactics, although FFX and .. yes .. Kingdom Hearts marked marginal improvment.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I enjoyed the gameplay in FF8... but the story was mediocre.

But what was FF9? Sure, reviving the crystal seemed like a good idea, but was it really that important to the game? Those were the days of making FF:TSW. *shakes head* That was the bottom of the barrel. Don't get me wrong, the graphics were amazing, but generally graphics dont make the movie. This is where Square had to dig itself out of a huge hole- wow. They lost soooooo much money it wasnt even funny. They had to start working on games that were actually good (outside of the Bouncer) like FFX and Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully FFXI, X-2, and XII will follow in this brief era of quality. I'm glad that Enix is stepping in to help with the chrono series, crono cross was a letdown. I still love Squaresoft.
  • GendoGendo Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    Erm, what happened to his post? Weird!
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I put it all over, it got pruned go visit it on the main RPG disscussion
  • little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kaserdan @ Dec. 26 2002,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""Square has also announced the producers for the game, Jun Akiyama will be the production supervisor (FFVII), Akihiko Yoshida (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story character designer) will be the character design and 3D map design, and Hideo Minaba (FF Tactics, FFIX) will be the art director"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *faints*

A dreamteam! biggrin.gif

The poster looks great, a bit Vagrant Story-ish, but more modern. Love it!
  • rekka-ken777rekka-ken777 New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    It reminds me of Tezuka's Metropolis. I'm pretty excited
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Consarn it.. What's this Metropolis everyone keeps talking about? I'm too damned lazy to consult a search engine laugh.gif
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • gameking28gameking28 Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    S..W..E..E..T.. *passes out due to pleasure overload*
  • Geek_SquidGeek_Squid Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    it looks lurvely, i cant wait
  • CloudCloud Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    It looks nice, true enough. But it is just one poster. Also, its going to be a long time till we see a US release, so i think its a bit early to be excited. At least for me it is. Im still looking forward to several other games that will see a release far before this title.
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    When I saw that poster, I had to pick up my eyeballs from the floor because they fell out of my head. (j/k)

If FF12 looks anything remotely like that poster, they've already sold it to me.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Castomel @ Dec. 27 2002,04:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Consarn it.. What's this Metropolis everyone keeps talking about? I'm too damned lazy to consult a search engine laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's a somewhat older anime movie based off an even older movie made by Fritz Lang (by older, I mean like the 1920's or so). I didn't really like either movie, so it's fortunate that I don't really see the resemblance between them and the poster. tounge.gif
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I think it looks a lot like Dark City, with a little more sunlight. A Dark City-type RPG would be nice. It would be a cool change from the sunny, tropical feel that every new RPG seems to have lately *cough* FF10 *cough* Kingom Hearts *cough* Zelda: The Wind Waker *cough*

- Elranzer
  • rekka-ken777rekka-ken777 New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    If you look at the city in the anime Metropolis you'll see some resemblance to the poster...I think.

edited December 2002
    Only because all futuristic cities are depicted in the same exact fashion. tounge.gif
  • SephirothSephiroth Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2002
    hmm..adds a little credence to my earlier post, ne? wink.gif

"According to Matsuno-san, new elements of the gameplay system developed for 'Final Fantasy Tactics Advance' will be incorporated into Final Fantasy XII. The revelation was reportedly made during a recent interview with Japanese publication Dorimag. While Matsuno-san refused to elaborate, he encouraged players to experience 'Final Fantasy Tactics Advance' for themselves as a prelude of things to come in Square's RPG series." Xengamers.com
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"hmm..adds a little credence to my earlier post, ne?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not really. He could be referring to the Judgement system, not found in FFT. Or he might be referring to the extremely expanded class system, a system hardly exclusive to FFT. Or a number of other things. Until more information is revealed, we won't know what exactly he was referring to.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I noticed that some people are assuming that this game is going to be great. ?I was reading the Magic Box messageboards regarding this game and the poster that was made available and a number of the posters there were already saying that the game will be great. ?All we have to go on in regards to information on the game are the names of a few staff members, the poster and a few comments made by the creators saying that the game will share some gameplay elements with FF:TA. ?That is hardly enough information to develop an opinion on. ?For all we know this game will turn out to be a heaping pile of turd. ?Until more solid infomation is revealed, I will reserve judgement on the game.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Likewise, I agree that a single poster is not enough to judge a whole entire game by. As for my opinions on the poster, the tall buildings seem to have a very modern appearance and everything seems to look very impressive although I am not sure how other enviromenst will look. I can't say that I am too thrilled at what the characters are going to look like, granted I did not get a good look at the central character in the poster but usually when you see a character from the Final fantasy series they usually stand out and leave a lasting impression on you, this guy on the other hand is easily forgetable, maybe I just need a better view of him/her. Only time will tell how it turns out.
  • FuneralFuneral New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    If that character in the poster is to be the main character then i'll be happy. To me that guy looks more impressive than say Tidus or Squall.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Poster by Elranzer,

"I think it looks a lot like Dark City, with a little more sunlight. A Dark City-type RPG would be nice. It would be a cool change from the sunny, tropical feel that every new RPG seems to have lately *cough* FF10 *cough* Kingom Hearts *cough* Zelda: The Wind Waker *cough*"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I couldn't agree anymore with you here. FF10 was just too sugary and corny.
  • Options
    edited December 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Joseph Witham @ Dec. 26 2002,21:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Did anyone else notice that Chocobo head at the very bottom of the scene?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, that's not a chocobo. ?It's a person. ?I have a drawing of that creature, and it has a humanoid body, two ears on each side and a bunch of body rings. ?The picture had the creature wearing a spiked helmet, though, so the one in the poster might not have the rings.

edited December 2002
    The longer we all have to wait for this the better really. That means they took thier time and put a load of content in. I dont completely trust Squaresoft anymore, but, FFX was the first game I had bought in like 3 years from square and company and I think thier products are about to take off again. I like the huge daunting buildings and those trees, those trees even look like they go up the building. Those clouds too, they seem to surround some of the buildings, if those buildings rise above the clouds and you can see the tops of the clouds and the (market place?) from inside the buildings thats great design. Also, if you ask me, some those people resemble colonial imigrants from the start of american culture. Maybe a race thats coming to that area in search of a better life or somthing. If they can make a game that resembles that concept art and make those buildings look that tall from the (market place?) that would be awsome. Also I hope they bring an overworld in it. Im not a Squresoft fanboy and you all know it, BUT..and I might be getting a tad ahead of myself, but I think we could be looking at the beggining of the greatest game ever made.

• ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    If you haven't bought any games from Squaresoft in 3 years, you missed out on some good games. I'm looking forward to this Final Fantasy, which hasn't happened since Final Fantasy VI was released. And, with Yasumi Matsuno mentioning FFTA is going to be incorporated into the game, only makes me more excited about it.
    edited December 2002
    I rented them all, and if they were any good, id have boughten them. Anyway, about Sakaguchi not having much of a role. MM big deal, if he was that wonderfull his movie wouldnt have been ass and his past few final fantasies would have been the best. While the game will be different in a few aspects, I beleive that talent behind the man, makes the man. Like a coah of a good football team, he wont win no matter how good he is if his team blows. Would Green Bay Packers be that awsome with or without Head Coach Mike Sherman? *Shrug*, its all the team, and talent like Brett Favre. This art director is better than Nomura, Nomura didnt make people I cared about like in FF7, if he did FF7 too, I appologize I dont know who did that game. I recon I spent half the game time in the chocobo farm in FF7, I loved that place. I did like the areas, like the grassy road in FFX and the Thunder plains, I dunno if ?Nomura had anything to do with the areas but they were nice looking.? Anyway, that poster oozes with talent and good ideas. Got me pumped up right away, I havnt been pumped in like 3 years. All the talent from past success surrounding the game makes me giddy.

• Toffee McBadappleToffee McBadapple New Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Well I'm suitably impressed to disconnect my brain and descend into mindless,fawning adulation of the sort I havent felt in ooh,5 years.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2002
    I just noticed something. ?If Tetsuya Nomura isn't involved with ?FF X-2, FF TA, FF CC, or FF XII, then what is he up to? ?In all of the games I mentioned previously, his name has not come up in any of them when it comes to who's developing these games. Again, if he has nothing to do with the development of these games, then what is he involved in?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business