If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Unlimited SaGa

yazarc420yazarc420 MemberFull Members
edited January 2003 in Site & Forum Support
See topic....I'm hoping it does come out here.

Comments

• chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    By here I'm going to assume you mean North America. ?While Square hasn't "officially" announced it, you can expect it to arrive in the latter half of 2003.

• yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Why do you say officially in quotes? Nothing has been "officially" announced by Square lately...Does this allow them the chance to change their minds if they see fit, or have they already started the localization process?

I can't say I necessarily understand the reasoning for being so hush hush. But you may notice I'm trying to pry something specific from you :-)
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited December 2002
    Exactly what else are you trying to pry, since he already answered your question? It's not like he can point to an official press release when one has not been issued. There's lots of reasons for not announcing a game as soon as the decisions been made, and most of them are probably marketing reasons. And they could change their minds as they see fit even after they officially announce a game. It's not like they're legally bound to release it once they announce it.
    edited December 2002
    The prying I guess is more or less to narrow in on the fine line between what is "highly speculated" and "official".
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (yazarc420 @ Dec. 26 2002,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why do you say officially in quotes? ?Nothing has been "officially" announced by Square lately...Does this allow them the chance to change their minds if they see fit, or have they already started the localization process?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, this is exactly the reason. Many companies start preliminary work on games, then decide that despite their efforts at first, the game is not worth the overall effort and budget. At other times, there are other complications.

For example, Square had Final Fantasy V completely translated and pretty much ready to go to market in the US when they decided not to publish the game. I actually have a letter from them that I wrote in, asking them why they made that decision.

Not too long after Final Fantasy VI (as III) came out in the US, they were going to release it as Final Fantasy Extreme (sound familiar?) but decided the outdated graphics would hinder sales too much.

That was a much different era, and news of games coming out spreads much more rapidly due to companies like our own RPGamer. Publishers have to be more careful, because not only do gamers get upset when officially announced games are not released (Dragon Warrior IV PSX) but many of these companies are also publicly traded, and smart investors check out product portfolios. Seeing a prominent sequel on a list makes companies a safer buy, and when those games don't come out, investors lose faith in the company.

Note: I hardly think that happened with Enix over DW4, as most smart investors realized what happened with Heartbeat could not allow the localization of the game.

In short (too late), game companies do hold off announcing games until they are sure, because it CAN be quite damaging when you have to pull a game back.
    edited January 2003
    Hm. It does all make sense. But answer me this and I'll drop this subject. To note, I did ask this in another forum, but it was pretty much ignored over all of the FFOrigins hype going on today. Granted I will be very bummed if U. SaGa doesn't get released, Life will go on, but at this point, what do you think the chances for it are? I do know the game has sold almost 300,000 copies in Japan but what earns it a ticket to the US? I know we don't only get top-ten games here. It has been given a positive outlook by many many people. I'm not trying to pry for information you don't have, it's just that I don't get overly excited about many games anymore and this series has long been my favorite.

Square sure has surprised me though. It doesn't seem like them to release a game for an all-but-dead system in the States (FFOrigins) so maybe they'll impress me further........
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    The PlayStation is hardly all-but-dead, considering you can play those games on a PS2 as well. I think Square saw it as an easy way to make money, considering it probably wasn't all that hard to translate them, and that's pretty much all they had to do (outside of move them both onto the same disc).
    edited January 2003
    My observation is that it doesn't seem retailers are willing to keep very many PS1 games in stock. It is a FF title though.

Does SquareEA have many outside sales reps? I do marketing and occaisional purchasing (purchasing as a fill-in when needed) for the company I work for so I do know a little bit, but we're nowhere near the scope of Square. I'd imagine that the company needs to spend some time convincing retailers that carrying their product is worthwhile. I just wonder where the responsibility falls. Is it done soley by Square EA or do they simply use an outside source as it's needed?