If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

2»

Comments

• Psycho PenguinPsycho Penguin Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Leveling up your moves gives you noticable advantages. Maria's Pulse attack quadruples in damage from first use to maximum proefficency.
    Thank you for saying pretty much what I was going to say.

You can't use strategy if you don't try strategy, people.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    Leveling up your moves gives you noticable advantages. Maria's Pulse attack quadruples in damage from first use to maximum proefficency.
    Thank you for saying pretty much what I was going to say.

You can't use strategy if you don't try strategy, people.
    Leveling up != strategy

Leveling up == grinding

It doesn't matter if it's leveling up character levels or skill levels, it's the same thing. That's not strategy.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • RenmazuoRenmazuo Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    But there is strategy involved, because you have to make trade-offs on which skills you level up, and which you don't.
    edited October 2008
    "I can't hit these guys no matter how much I level up!" is not a strategy either. Trying different things = strategy.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    *final update posted*
    edited October 2008
    Review Radiata! It merits a replay based on the diverging story paths alone, not to mention it doesn't have nearly as much exposure as Symphonia does. On the otherhand, You can look forward to some more grating nit-picky comments from me if you start a Symphonia blog. laugh.gif

But seriously, I find it interesting that you enjoy Symphonia's clunky, slow-paced psuedo-3d battles. rock.gif
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Tales of Symphonia was and is incredible.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2008
    You're going to be playing SO2 and SO4 within the next 6 months. I'd advise you to play ToS, because it's not by Tri-Ace. Too much of one thing is toxic.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    Hey Adriaan, have you actually played both paths in Radiata Stories? I know I haven't (and that being my reason for wanting to replay it) but if you have, which path did you prefer playing?

Also, I'm actually stuck in SO3 myself so I put it down, but your review blog makes me feel like I should pick it up again considering I don't have much left to complete. Reading this blog makes me feel like I may need to give this game a second chance.
    edited October 2008
    Star Ocean and the Tales Of are spiritual twins, originally developed by the same key players. Namco has just been recycling the formula developed by Yoshiharu Gotanda and Co for years. They literally pump Tales games out these days. I wish they would devote more effort on each release.
    edited October 2008
    Hey Adriaan, have you actually played both paths in Radiata Stories? I know I haven't (and that being my reason for wanting to replay it) but if you have, which path did you prefer playing?

Also, I'm actually stuck in SO3 myself so I put it down, but your review blog makes me feel like I should pick it up again considering I don't have much left to complete. Reading this blog makes me feel like I may need to give this game a second chance.
    I have, actually, played through both paths. Personally I find the Human path to be more fun as there are more (and better) characters to recruit, but the non-Human path has a better ending. The human path also has cooler looking armor for sale.

Interestingly, after playing both paths, I discovered that it is actually completely impossible to make Jack look like what he does on the cover of the game, with the navy blue armor and gold sword. The blue armor is only for sale on the human path, while the sword is the Arbitrator, his dad's sword, and he only gets to use it in the non-Human path. I always found that kinda interesting.
    Quote: wrote:
    Review Radiata! It merits a replay based on the diverging story paths alone, not to mention it doesn't have nearly as much exposure as Symphonia does. On the otherhand, You can look forward to some more grating nit-picky comments from me if you start a Symphonia blog. laugh.gif

But seriously, I find it interesting that you enjoy Symphonia's clunky, slow-paced psuedo-3d battles. rock.gif

I've never heard anyone describe Symphonia's battles as clunky or slow-paced. I found them to be very fluid and extremely fast, especially compared to the more recent Tales titles like Legendia, Abyss, or Vesperia.

And if I do start up on Symphonia again, feel free to nitpick as much as you want, because I can pretty well guarantee that I know Symphonia a lot better than you do, unless you've also played it over a half dozen times. I can counter-argue anything about that game with a freaking essay if I had to.

edited October 2008
    I'm afraid that my complaints and about Symphonia would be subjective, and so would your response. It's impossible to claim objectivity after stating its your favorite game ever. The idea that you're on stronger ground because you somehow could stomach the game six times, doesn't make your opinion more valid of than the person who could hardly be bothered to remember how terrible it was. People don't commit lackluster or mediocre things to memory, you see. So go ahead, fire off essays, doesn't make the game any better.

Compared to the stream-lined brisk battles of Tales of Eternia, Symphonia is incredibly clunky, but many people didn't have the basis for comparision because they were introduced to the series by Symphonia. And because it was their first, they're blinded by nostaligia. Either have 3D battles, or 2D battles, not some crippled mesh of the two.
    edited October 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    Compared to the stream-lined brisk battles of Tales of Eternia, Symphonia is incredibly clunky, but many people didn't have the basis for comparision because they were introduced to the series by Symphonia. And because it was their first, they're blinded by nostaligia. Either have 3D battles, or 2D battles, not some crippled mesh of the two.

See, I found it to be the exact opposite. I thought Symphonia took what Eternia did and made it faster, smoother, and more intuitive. For example, selective targeting becomes easier because every enemy is on its own separate line rather than on a single plane. And it's funny you should bring Nostalgia into it, beacuse I could just as easily say that you're blinded by the nostalgia factor of Eternia. It works both ways, you see.

Also, just finished up SO3, so I'll get working on a review before picking up the next game. Two votes each so far, so I may have to just flip a coin.

edited October 2008
    It's hard to play Symphonia after getting used to Free Run, but it's still a great game.
    edited October 2008
    Eternia wasn't my first Tales game, and I found it to be pretty average over-all. I'm sorry, there's no nostaligia there. My true nostaligia lies for Phantasia and Destiny, and I'll admit thosebattles could be kind of clunky at times.

Changing targets in Eternia was as simple as pressing a single button, and then running past the enemys inbetween you. And I think there is a virtue to occasionally having to break through a bunch of monsters in the front in order to reach the spellcaster in the back. Eternia had faster movement speed, and attack speed, and you were frequently hitting multiple enemys at once, not just one or two. It was unquestionably faster-paced. It was crowd control as opposed to "now attack this enemy until its dead, change the direction you're facing, now attack this enemy until its dead, change the direction you're facing, now attack this enemy until its dead".

Movement in Symphonia just feels unnatural. Like you're attached to the enemeys by rigid bungee cords or something. If an enemy is attacking one of your magic users, you can't really intercept them to block the attack, you can only choose to start attacking that enemy.
    edited October 2008
    Eternia wasn't my first Tales game, and I found it to be pretty average over-all. I'm sorry, there's no nostaligia there. My true nostaligia lies for Phantasia and Destiny, and I'll admit thosebattles could be kind of clunky at times.

Changing targets in Eternia was as simple as pressing a single button, and then running past the enemys inbetween you. And I think there is a virtue to occasionally having to break through a bunch of monsters in the front in order to reach the spellcaster in the back. Eternia had faster movement speed, and attack speed, and you were frequently hitting multiple enemys at once, not just one or two. It was unquestionably faster-paced. It was crowd control as opposed to "now attack this enemy until its dead, change the direction you're facing, now attack this enemy until its dead, change the direction you're facing, now attack this enemy until its dead".

Movement in Symphonia just feels unnatural. Like you're attached to the enemeys by rigid bungee cords or something. If an enemy is attacking one of your magic users, you can't really intercept them to block the attack, you can only choose to start attacking that enemy.
    You obviously didn't make use of the Tempest skill then. I could get across the battlefield in seconds whenever I had to.

But it doesn't really matter. I flipped a coin and am now in the early stages of Radiata Stories.

I did a quick search, interestingly, and it seems that Radiata isn't as unknown as people think. RPGamer has eight reviews for it, with only a measly three (soon to be four) for SO3.

edited October 2008
    Which game are you referring too? I definitely used tempest to great advantage in Phantasia, Eternia, and Destiny. It was kind of nerfed in Symphonia.

I'm confused. Are you saying that because you can use this move, it's easy to get around the battlefield in Symphonia? I would say if you have to use the move to get around, its NOT easy to get around. Besides, not everyone could use tempest. I generally don't play as the main characters in Tales games because they always have the EXACT same skill-set. After playing a few of these games, it's much more interesting to play as Persea, Colette or Regal.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    I have, actually, played through both paths. Personally I find the Human path to be more fun as there are more (and better) characters to recruit, but the non-Human path has a better ending. The human path also has cooler looking armor for sale.

Interestingly, after playing both paths, I discovered that it is actually completely impossible to make Jack look like what he does on the cover of the game, with the navy blue armor and gold sword. The blue armor is only for sale on the human path, while the sword is the Arbitrator, his dad's sword, and he only gets to use it in the non-Human path. I always found that kinda interesting.
    Damn, you make me want to replay Radiata Stories now just to get the good ending. I played the Human Path my first time around, I didn't get everyone, but I was pretty damn close! If I didn't have such a backlog, I'd say a replay of that game is in order... although I should probably get my copy of the game back. smile.gif Glad to hear your replaying it again.

Also, anyone have some suggestions for some great spots to level up in SO3? I'm at about level 54, and basically all I have left to do in the game is go to Mosel Dunes and hit the last bit of the game. Once I hit that area I know it will be hard to get out to go back and do anything else, and I haven't fought the Chimera yet. So yes, suggestions for some quick grinding would be appreciated. I currently just keep leveling in Sanmite Steppe, but there's got to be some other really good spots.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    IIRC levels in Star Ocean 3 don't do anywhere near as much good for you as equipment does. If you're already grinding, grind for money rather than levels and use it for inventions/customizations.

On the other hand, the best way to make money is again through invention rather than fighting enemies...
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Do you just like to argue, Renmazuo? Cause that's all you seem to be doing in these threads.
    edited October 2008
    There's nothing much to discuss if everybody agrees about everthing is there?

I'm stating my honest opinion about games, not arguing for the sake of being argumentative.
    edited October 2008
    Do you just like to argue, Renmazuo? Cause that's all you seem to be doing in these threads.
    Uh.. what? He seems to be discussing the games civilly. Unlike someone who just busts in randomly to make a comment that has nothing to do with the game at all. Just saying.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
This discussion has been closed.