If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Neverland Card Battles

7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the RealmRPGamer Staff
edited November 2008 in Staff Review Blogs
Game Time: 3 hours

Neverland Card Battles is a strange little tactics game. It ranks right by Yggdra Union and Rondo of Swords in terms of shear outside-the-box thinking in what is a rather stale and rehashed subgenre. It's way too early for me to declare if the unique system is actually good or not -- I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Rather than maintain an army, as is done in most tactics games, you maintain a deck of cards similar to CCGs like Magic. You and your opponent begin on the battlefield alone, draw an initial hand of cards, and start walking. Each card requires "Costs" to play. Seriously. "Costs" is the name of the mana-like resource in the game. At the beginning of your turn, you gain Costs equal to the number of tiles on the board you have marked. Territory is marked by having any ally character walk across a tile. So on the first turn, naturally, you will have 1 Cost because you only own the tile on which you are standing. You can move 3 spaces, and end your turn. On the next turn, you will now have marked 4 tiles your color, and so will have 4 Costs and possibly can use a card. Also, you draw another card at the start of each turn.

Cards can do anything from summoning underlings, to healing, to direct damage, to enchantments, and I'm sure many more interesting things I haven't seen yet. The battle system is a combination of a CCG and a tactics RPG, and has strong gameplay elements from both.

================
================

10/28 12:35 PM
Game time: 16 hours

This game is either very short, or I'm so awesomely excellent at it that I didn't die as often as the devs expected me to, and a less skilled human would take much longer to play through it. I seem to be at the final level, although there's always that chance in an RPG that the final boss has multiple stages. Until the current stage, I only lost two battles. This "last" stage has already killed me twice though -- it's a tough one.

Luck plays a large factor in this game. The cards you win after battle are randomly selected from the enemy's arsenal. The stronger the card is, the less likely your chances of getting it are. As the game rolls on, enemy Dominators -- the title for people who can use cards -- get increasingly powerful while your little avatar stays puny and weak. Resultingly, you rely more and more on your cards to fight for you as you get deeper into it. Deck building and a good strategic thought are necessary skills, however I won many battles by the skin of my teeth, or because I happened to top-deck the perfect card at the perfect time.

While I typed this, the mailman just dropped Fallout 3 at my door, so, yeah, review blogs are great and all, but -- FALLOUT 3! OMG!

================
================

11/12 10:00 PM
Game time: 20 hours

I finished this game a few days ago, and need to write up the review at some point. I just wanted to throw out there that this game is, indeed, short for a tactics RPG, although it's also only $30. The only two updates I made while playing it sum up my thoughts well: it does an excellent job of combining CCG play and tactical JRPG play, but luck plays a big factor and it wasn't particularly fun. The dull visuals got to me as the game wore on too. Real Life happenings have sucked away much of my free time. Hopefully I'll have the review up by the end of this weekend. This is going to be one of those awkward reviews for me to write -- like Master of the Monster Lair -- because while the gameplay is solid and succeeds at what it tries to do, I wasn't a fan of it. So I need to get across that I didn't like it, but in a way that won't scare off those who will.

The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Comments

• TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    Curious, how's it look graphically cause the art I've seen looked really cool just wondering if the game looks that cool.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    *updated*
    edited November 2008
    *final update*
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2008
    I normally love card games. I love Magic the Gatering, Ehterlord and even Marvel Trading Card game. (And don't even ask about Culdcept.) However, even I am hesitant about this one after reading reviews.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, you should be hesitant. I'm a fan of CCGs and tactics RPGs, and this game combines them well, but it just wasn't that fun. In a real CCG, you can go buy better cards to make a new or better deck. It's a key aspect of playing CCGs that is totally missing here, and you are stuck trying to make decent decks with awful cards. Also, in a CCG, if you are getting your butt kicked, the match often ends quickly. In NCB, battles always have the TRPG length, so even lopsided victories and losses take a while, dragging things out longer than they should be. Those are two of the ways that the combination didn't work so well, in my opinion.
    edited November 2008
    Locking thread. Review is here

Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.