If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fable 2

Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited November 2008 in Staff Review Blogs
If you took Grand Theft Auto and put it into an 18th or 19th century setting, Fable 2 is what would emerge. This is a sandbox RPG like no other, with as much scum and villainy as any R* game. Three hours in and I've already gone on several killing sprees, but so far, one in particular has brought me all kinds of amusement.

It began upon arriving in the quaint farming town of Oakfield (not to be confused with Oakvale, which is the hero of the original Fable's hometown.) At this point in the game I decided to explore the finer things in life - namely sex. With that decision in mind, I first went about acquiring a home. After chopping wood for about twenty minutes to earn a few thousand gold pieces, I went around town to look at the potential real estate, finally settling on a quaint little villa resting beneath a windmill.

One problem: It was a tad too expensive. That's not to say I couldn't AFFORD it, but that I didn't want to pay as much as the current owners were asking. But of course, if the house had no owners, things would be much easier. With that in mind, I immediately barged into their home and proceeded to blast them away at short range with my rifle. The wife fell by the soon-to-be-mine grandfather clock, while the husband's final resting place was awkwardly slumped across the staircase. I immediately purchased the home and moved in right away.

Double homicide is tiring work, plus I did all that wood cutting earlier, so after a quick nap in my new bed, I went out to prospect myself a potential wife. After meeting a *ahem* charming young women and fraternizing with her for a few minutes, I gave her a ring and we were engaged, at which point I took her to my new home. This is where things started to get interesting.

At this point, I wasn't entirely sure how to go from being engaged to being married, so I took her upstairs and tried to sleep in my bed, and at this point a strange bug came into play. While she was fine as I walked her into my house, after waking up, she saw the corpses of the house's former occupants and immediately accused me of murder, fleeing in terror to a guard which irritatingly led me to a 500 gold fine (by the way, 500 gold fine for murder? That's it?)

At this point my bride-to-be would flee in terror at the sight of me, so I was back to square one, so I went and found another woman, which was much more difficult, as most of the population of the town was now deathly afraid of me. Once I found one, I charmed the bejeezus out of her and gave her a ring, bringing her back to my home. After checking the manual, I discovered that in order to finalize the marriage, the house's property information needs be changed to "marital home," so I went and did that. However, after the fanfare of wedding bells, things turned ugly.

Remember the first girl who was fleeing in terror whenever I tried to get near? She CAME BACK! She came into my house and accused me of cheating on her. Needless to say I wasn't terribly appreciative of this, but I wasn't about to kill her in front of my new wife, so instead, I flirted with my new wife until she decided she wanted to go to bed, at which point we conceived our first child right in front of her! Honestly, the psychological damage that must have caused is far more satisfying than a sword to the face.

So now I'm married and have a baby boy, and am about to set out on the rest of my journey through Fable 2. If any more interesting stories come up during my adventure, I'll be sure to share them.

10/29/08 - 03:15

While jobs are the standard way of making a living in Fable 2, I just discovered a new, more profitable way of making a living, and that's in the field of reselling. To put it simply, I discovered some wealthy weapon merchants in Fairfax Gardens that mark their prices up by 32%. Likewise, I found a merchant in Old Bowerstone who was giving me a 50% discount on some rather pricey weapons. So, seeing an opportunity to make a nice profit, I immediately purchased all the steel weapons he had, keeping the best katana and rifle for myself of course. The rest I lugged back to Fairfax and sold off at a very nice profit. Now I'm sitting on roughly 30,000 gold, which is enough to buy a fairly significant amount of property.

I'm in the money! biggrin.gif

10/30/08 - 13:50

I think I forgot to mention this, but I went and sacrificed my wife to the Cult of Shadows for big loyalty bonuses. The government came and took mah baby sad.gif I did the same thing to my second wife, but for my third wife I found a cute gypsy girl, so I've stuck with her. I now have two adorable little ragamuffins running around, an evil little girl and an evil little boy. The girl likes it when I do my scary laugh.

Oh, I also now own virtually every building in Albion, at least the ones I've been able to find. I may about 13000 gold every 5 minutes, so my cash flow is very nice.

10/31/08 - 05:15

Well, that's it for Fable 2. The story is complete, and I have to say, talk about a disappointing ending. <span class="spoiler">There isn't even a final boss! I blew Lucian away with a single pistol shot like some common villager!</span>

Oh well, the game's not really about the story anyways, it's about the world, and it certainly forces you into an interesting choice at the end, one that really has no right answer, though there is definitely one very wrong one choice you can make.

I loaded the game back up afterwards to do some of the extras, such as purchasing Castle Fairfax, which is now my home. I also had enough real estate to be declared King of Albion, so yea. Hail to the King baby.

Expect a review later this afternoon, but for those curious, here's a final tally of all my character's relevant stats:

Strength:
Brutal Styles - Maxed
Physique - Maxed
Toughness - Maxed

Skill:
Dextrous Styles - Maxed
Accuracy - Maxed
Speed - Maxed

Will:
Shock - Maxed
Inferno - 3/5
Time Control - Maxed
Blades - 3/5
Vortex - 4/5
Chaos - 4/5
Force Push - 5/5
Raise Dead - 4/5

Alignment:
Good/Evil - Maxed Evil
Pure/Corrupt - Max Pure
The Fanatic - Your devotion to the purity of your body is only matched by your dedication to pure evil.

Attractiveness:
Clothing - 7
Hair - 5
Purity/Corruption - 30
Muscle - 25
Home Bonus - 50
Everything Else - 0

Stats:
Decapitations - 82
Groin Shots - 1
Enemies Disarmed - 10
Reversals - 2
Damage Dealt - 1,448,106
Total Spell Damage - 11,431
Damage Taken - 14,707
Times Knocked Out - 2
Resurrection Phials - 0
Hits Taken - 680
Attacks Blocked - 16
Flourishes - 140
Co-op Strikes - 0
Total Killed - 2168
Villagers Killed - 98
Guards Killed - 15
Real Estate Wealth - 2,838,356
Total Money Earned - 4,454,082
Total Money Spent - 4,076,501
Current Money Total - 295,886
Bartending Gold - 215
Woodchopping Gold - 14,142
Blacksmithing Gold - 8,247
Real Estate Gold - 2,467,652
Assassination Gold - 9,000
Bounty Hunter Gold - 7,500
People Sacrificed - 28
Assassinations Completed - 8
Bounties Collected - 6
Slaves Rescued - 3
People in Love With You - 53
Times Married - 3
Times Divorced - 0
Times Widowed - 2
Number of Children - 4 (3 with current wife)
Times had Marital Sex - 39
Times Had Extramarital Sex - 0
Times Paid for Sex - 0
Crimes Committed - 141
Number of Chickens Kicked - 31
Furthest Chicken Kick - 11 Yards
STDs - 8
Time Played - 25 Hours

Achievements:
The Ruler of Albion
The Family
The Hero of Skill
The Celebrity
The Sharpshooter
The Cliff Diver
The Black Knight
The Hero of Will
The Extremist
The Pied Piper
The Chicken Kicker
The Romantic
The Executioner
The Paragon
The Hero of Strength
The Parent
The Spouse
The Workhorse
The Muse
The Persuader
The Show-Off
The Rogue
The Hero of Many Names
The New Hero
The Dog Trainer
The Pooch Pamperer
The Archaeologist
The Whippersnapper

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I'm in the money! biggrin.gif
    *Wonders if the game will try to break into your house while you're away*

-Now we're getting realistic.
    que?
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I prefer buying properties. Buko cash every 5 minutes... In fact, I own every purchasable property in Albion and in hand I have 1.4 million gold. It's nuts.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    I prefer buying properties. Buko cash every 5 minutes... In fact, I own every purchasable property in Albion and in hand I have 1.4 million gold. It's nuts.
    Yeah, you can make money fast like that too. I'm getting 10k every 5 minutes right now and I'm buying all the shops I can. I think I own all the ones I've come across so far. Eventually I'll start going around and buying houses too.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    I prefer buying properties. <span style="text-decoration:underline">Buko cash</span> every 5 minutes... In fact, I own every purchasable property in Albion and in hand I have 1.4 million gold. It's nuts.
    Were you shooting for beaucoup cash? Your French mangling makes me cry tounge2.gif
  • JoaqenixJoaqenix Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I just accidentally had sex with a classy girl in what I guess was not in fact her house, which is APPARENTLY trespassing. Who knew? I was only fined 50 gold though. biggrin.gif

What happens if you resist arrest? Do you have to kill the guards?
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2008
    I just accidentally had sex with a classy girl in what I guess was not in fact her house, which is APPARENTLY trespassing. Who knew? I was only fined 50 gold though. biggrin.gif

What happens if you resist arrest? Do you have to kill the guards?
    until they kill you or you skip town, yea. Eventually you have to pay a fine or do some community service or you'll never be able to enter that town again without being attacked.

The fines for murder are pretty pathetic, really. Killing someone only costs 500g. I have enough cash at this point that I could go on a killing spree and murder everyone in Bowerstone and it wouldn't break my bank. Of course, it'd ruin my real estate profits, so I won't be doing that.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited October 2008
    strangely, I am even more attracted to Fable 2 now.
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I wound up selling a copy of it to some 50 year old woman the other day because, and I quote, her, "Kids wouldn't let her play Fable." How submissive do you have to be? Either way, now momma's got a new 360 and Fable 2 while her kids are left to envy with their old xbox and the original.

-God I love irony.
    que?
    edited October 2008
    *final update*
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited October 2008
    I prefer buying properties. <span style="text-decoration:underline">Buko cash</span> every 5 minutes... In fact, I own every purchasable property in Albion and in hand I have 1.4 million gold. It's nuts.
    Were you shooting for beaucoup cash? Your French mangling makes me cry tounge2.gif
    Yeah, I didn't even try.

I didn't even know it was a french word. That must hurt a little. Hehe.
  • OliviaOlivia Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    This game is so fun. ^^ I'm a blonde now -- I bought banana pudding dye. I don't like how you can't color the bandana (I have the long hair hairstyle, so there's this thick black headband I have to wear).

I want to get the purple dresses that the women in Fairfax Gardens have -- I really like the color. Been looking for where I can buy them.

By the way, keeping your spouse happy is difficult. -_- I married Dukker, one of the gypsy men (it was between him and another guy, but Duk was slightly taller than I am -- and was a lot sweeter -- so I chose him). You need to try really hard to keep him happy. Not only does he want sex, he also wants gifts occassionally. -_- My kid Susanna's worse -- I play with her and buy her toys, her favorite being the toy horse, and her affection for me still drops like a sack of anvils. I'm planning on having two more girls, so hopefully I'll get a kid I like.
    \"I was always a rebel and probably could have got much farther had I changed my attitude. But when you think about it, I got pretty far without changing attitudes. I'm happier with that.\" – Veronica Lake