If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Valkyria Chronicles

Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited January 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
Here begins my Valkyria Chronicles blog. I shall start my logging impressions and random thoughts I have of the game with the first choice you encounter, the optional install of the game to your PS3 hard drive. Let's do a test, shall we?

Time to load Chapter 2's battle without doing the install
~11 seconds to load briefing
~4 seconds to load battle
~15 Seconds total

Time to load Chapter 2's battle with the install
~8 seconds to load briefing
~4 seconds to load battle
~12 seconds total

Time saved
3 Seconds

Time it took to install
8 minutes.

Oh, that's cute. While it installs the game it starts with an unfinished painting and gradually fills it with color as it completes the install.

Is it worth it?
You read that right, it really only saved 3 seconds. And the game still takes over 10 seconds of loading just to show you the Sega logo when you start it. So I'm not seeing the benefits of the install here. Was it just added as a token measure cause it's fashionable for PS3 games to have an install option? Does it help in small ways through the battles that I'm not noticing?
Keep in mind that my test is pretty specific and limited to the chapter 2 loading, it's possible that other chapters vary and there could be some variation within battle, I just haven't noticed given how little I've played before installing it.
I'm going to go ahead and keep it installed since I have plenty of free space and I don't feel like waiting another 8 minutes to reinstall it again later should I regret removing it now.
Verdict: No not worth it based on the data I've seen so far unless you're so impatient that 3 seconds matters to you, or you die a lot on a battle and have to keep reloading it I suppose.

So on the podcast this week, I told Oliver I thought the music in this game sounded a lot like Sakimoto's. Yeah...apparently that's cause it IS Sakimoto's. Oliver really enjoyed telling me that.

The English voice acting is fine in this game (for once), but I still wanted to experiment with the Japanese voice acting. As usual, it sounds top notch though the subtitles are obviously only of the English version of the script and not of what the Japanese voice acting is saying.

Also, hearing a Japanese person say "Edelweiss" is awesome. "eederuuisu gou"

Up to chapter 9 in this game and I have to say, it is still a fine piece of work. I would be playing more, but I got distracted by: Wrath of the Lich King, Persona 4, and Prince of Persia. Not a bad set of titles to be distracted with, but I feel bad about it nonetheless. Now Oliver has gone and finished and reviewed it already, but I shall return and right the wrongs of the situation.
179811.png

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    This ARS Technica article seems to indicate it's a problem with the XBOX360 installs (in general) as well.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2008
    I was reading an article about installs the other day. Turns out that you are not the only one who feels this way. Hard drive loaded software doesn't seem to load much faster than games running off those discs. It's made me decide to save my PS3 HD space on some of those games.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • RpgNRpgN Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    You do know the game has been out for more than a month and still no review? What the hell are you doing?! This game deserves much better mad.gif

you will pay for this!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    You do know the game has been out for more than a month and still no review? What the hell are you doing?! This game deserves much better mad.gif
    Wow, that was unnecessarily hostile.

If you want a review so badly, why don't you write a reader review and send it in?
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2008
    ...You appearently don't know the joke concerning Chris...
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2008
    And it seems the joke is more reality than joke.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2008
    Wow, that was unnecessarily hostile.

If you want a review so badly, why don't you write a reader review and send it in?
    I'm sorry, it's just that ps3 games get so ignored here and I don't want the same to happen with VC. Like Disgaea 3 here not getting a review at all. I think it would be fun to write a review, but my main goal is the game having an amount of attention. That attention is gotten by official reviews instead of members hyping up a game. A user will find my review less creditable compared to an official one (right?). Again, sorry if I sounded hostile.

Ps. guys, what do you mean by a joke?

you will pay for this!
    edited December 2008
    Well, Chris (sabin1001) has a little joke revolving around him. Bascally, he never completes a game (or it takes a ridiculously long, long amount of time). The fact that he chose to review it resulted in a portion of the staff saying the review would never be completed (and it hasn't yet).

Sadly, few of the good staff of RPGamer have a PS3. Unlike other sites, RPGamer is strickly volunteer. While some reviewers may receive review copies of the game, many times the reviewers must perchase the games themselves. In nearly all cases, consoles must be secured by the reviewer. Because of the cost and (until recently) lackluster library of the PS3, many staff members don't have a PS3. Fortunately, RPGamer is moving towards fixing this problem. One of the news casters has recently become an involved reviewer, and he has a PS3. His staff review for Eternal Sonata PS3 should be coming out soon.

I'm sure Chris, as well as the site's president (who is suppose to be covering Disgaea 3), will eventually finish up their respective assignments. It'll eventually get to the point that I'm sure another staff member might pick up the slack. However, because we're in the holiday period, where numerous games are shipped at once, the staff might not have time in the next month or two to go back and fill in some of the voids.

If you are interested in making sure this site covers the PS3 classics as it should, I'm sure you could try becoming an on-staff reviewer.

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Oliver seems to be enjoying Valkyria chronicles why doesn't he do the review.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited December 2008
    Sanji in hell, Thank you for your in-depth explanation. Believe me when I say I was complaining because I actually respect this site. The reviewers do as much as they can to make objective and informative reviews. It's because of that it pains me to see the ps3 not represented enough. At the same time, it makes me happy to see you guys aware of the problem and are trying to fix it. As for me becoming a staff, I never thought about it. It sounds like a good plan. Since I own a psp, ds and a (new) wii besides a ps3, still the ps3 would be my main field to fill the gap. Though it seems reviewers aren't needed now on the hire page.

And sorry Sabin, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Keep on gaming (and keep the myth alive?).
    you will pay for this!
    edited December 2008
    Oliver seems to be enjoying Valkyria chronicles why doesn't he do the review.
    He probably will do a review. But, from what I can tell, he's still working on the title as well. He completes games, but it takes a while (because of work and school).

Oh, and RpgN, my username is Clix. tounge2.gif The "Sanji in hell" is my avatar's caption. You might want to contact omegabyte. While they might not have a hiring sign up for a reviewer, they might want extra staff help for this crazy release period.
    edited December 2008
    Our reviewers with PS3 are limited, sadly. We have staffers with PS3 (Chris, Mikel, Oliver), but only Mikel and Oliver seem to be able to complete games. And of those, only Oliver seems to be able to review them. Mikel's been done with Disgaea 3 for a while and just can't seem to get around to actually reviewing it. The review will most likely come from Oliver.

Trust me, we're not ignoring the PS3 on purpose. I'm likely getting one for Christmas along with Valkyria Chronicles, so if for some odd reason one of them can't review it, I will.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Clix (I got it right now) and Macstorm. I think I'll give omegabyte something to read wink.gif
    you will pay for this!
    edited December 2008
    Here's the review submission info in case you didn't have it.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Heya... I'll be reviewing the game ASAP. I'd be done already if not for finals week (and Prince of Persia), and as it is, I'll likely be finished before this weekend.

So look for a review soon smile.gif
    edited December 2008
    Awesomeness.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    Heya... I'll be reviewing the game ASAP. I'd be done already if not for finals week (and Prince of Persia), and as it is, I'll likely be finished before this weekend.

A review from Riddles?

I hope this works out alright... Our last head of interaction tried to give a game an 11.0/5. I do hope we won't have a repeat of that, Mr. Motok.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hey! I've already reviewed a game, remember? And I DIDN'T give it a mathematically impossible score.

Although I admit, it will be hard to restrain myself in this case.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2008

Fantastic it's good to hear someone is finally reviewing this masterpiece. Chris is more like a place holder lolz.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    FINISHED!

The game, that is. Hopefully a review will be up early next week.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited December 2008
    FINISHED!

The game, that is. Hopefully a review will be up early next week.
    I'm intrigued. Sega hasn't done strategy games much but their few in-house efforts have been really good (I'm thinking of Dragon Force).
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited December 2008
    Wow did my blog get taken over? Sweet. I need to finish this game, it's so good.
    179811.png
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2008
    I need to finish this game, it's so good.
    You said the same thing about Persona 3. tounge2.gif

Granted, I shouldn't throw stones from my glass house.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I see a review! *Goes to read*

About my application. I read the submission review F.A.Q and there it says it would be handy to know about codes/html, I have totally no experience there. So I got a little scared sad.gif
    you will pay for this!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2009
    I'd never touched html before I was hired. There are templates to use, and as long as you are competent enough not to break them, it's no big deal. Modifying is intuitive, and current staff members don't mind giving you a hand. Well, some of us don't. You'll learn who to ask and who not to ask pretty fast.

What I'm saying is, don't let the html question scare you. It's handy, but not a big deal at all. I don't think any of the 2008 hires had seen html before they were hired except for maybe Vortex.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
This discussion has been closed.