If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Eternal Sonata PS3

2»

Comments

• AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Okay, so if I left off after <span class="spoiler">the Prince and his fiance give themselves up to Count Waltz</span> how much further do I have to go?

Why are my spoiler tags NOT WORKING?

• HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    You're a little more than half-way, I think. Or between half-way and three-fourths of the game, I think.

Edit: Also, your spoiler tags work for me.

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    battles themselves have enough variation so that they do not play out the same exact way every single time.

The entire storyline in general is very creative.
    You're kidding right? I liked the way the battle system kept changing over the games duration but enemy AI was repetitive in the extreeme, which was further exacerbated by the extreme lack of enemy variety. For the most part this resulted in battles playing out the same way every time.

As far as the story was concerned it had a poorly conceived cliche driven plot with severe defficiencies in character motivation which tri crecendo attempted to hide beneth a superficial facade of pretentious pseudo-philisophical jargon and painfully dull Soliloquies which often come to naught. Philosophy in rpg's is often a good thing, but not when its only role is window dressing. Ultimately I decided to stop playing when the king decided to hand himself over to the games villain and I couldn't bring myself to go save the twit from his own foolishness, especially when the battles were not appealing enough to pull me through the narrative defficiencies. Unless the PS3 version is significantly different from its 360 itiration, I must confess I did not care for it then and I do not care for it now.

Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • Green NuGreen Nu Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Okay, so if I left off after <span class="spoiler">the Prince and his fiance give themselves up to Count Waltz</span> how much further do I have to go?

Why are my spoiler tags NOT WORKING?
    It depends <span class="spoiler">they do that and then you do a bunch of stuff, but you're near the end. The last dungeons take a while though. </span>

SiliconNoob, I was only replying to your claim that the game had nothing more to offer than graphics. The battle system, which does get repetitive, does not have battles which are the exact same every time. You may always use the same techniques to defeat the enemies, but enemy placement, and sometimes their number, is always different. Plus the light and dark areas change the way battles work, and missed "chance" defense timed button presses could quickly lead to your death even on random enemies before a boss. Though still repetitive, this is not the same thing as say a Dragon Quest style RPG, in which you just hit attack the whole time.

About the storyline, I meant the base premise. Keep in mind I wasn't through the whole game at the time, and I agree with you on many of the weaknesses of the story now that I have completed the game.

You must gather your party before venturing forth
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    battles themselves have enough variation so that they do not play out the same exact way every single time.

The entire storyline in general is very creative.
    You're kidding right? I liked the way the battle system kept changing over the games duration but enemy AI was repetitive in the extreeme, which was further exacerbated by the extreme lack of enemy variety. For the most part this resulted in battles playing out the same way every time.
    Yeah, unless the PS3 version is different but the enemy layouts for encounters were always very similar. It was so bad that I began to roll my eyes at battles, which in turn, led me to hate battling cause there was like 0 strategy after the first time I encountered the enemies. Not to mention you usually have to mash the button over and over, and then do a bunch of finishers.

I was even trying to convince myself the whole time that there was something redeeming about the game and was apologetic about the cheesy scenes, so it's not like I came in as a hater, but in the end, I really did hate Eternal Sonata.

Suffice to say, I was absolutely dumbfounded when I found out that this was RPGamers 2007 RPG of the Year. I know it's a compilation of staff votes but did everyone actually play the entire game?

Edit: thought it beat out Mass Effect for story too but I was wrong.

• JoaqenixJoaqenix Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Agreed, SO MUCH on the enemy variety. I'm pretty sure there was a total of 10 different enemies, just with different paint-jobs throughout the game. It was really bad.

Mass Effect > Eternal Sonata in every way except music/graphics.
    edited December 2008
    To be honest I pretty much hated the game by the end too, but I did enjoy the ending. It isn't an awful game though, just average.
    edited December 2008
    I don't see how this game could possibly beat out mass effect, especially considering how small and linear the environments were. Don't get me wrong mass effect had its flaws such as technical problems and a comparatively short length compared to other bioware games, yet it was still easily the best current gen rpg of last year (though if it had to go up against persona 3 it would be a different story).
  • JoaqenixJoaqenix Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Mass Effect had some problems (including its own way linear subquest level designs) but I can't wait to hear some news on Mass Effect 2. If they fix some of the obvious issues, it could be amazing. Even with its flaws its one of my fave games in a while, and one I actually beat quickly and never felt like it was a chore to play.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Today, Amazon has a special on this game, $33 w/ free shipping. In case anyone is interested in buying.
    I don't understand charging full ($60) price for a game I can get for far less used on XBOX 360, but for $33, I'm in.

Is it inappropriate to post stuff like this? I mean, it's basically advertising.

edited December 2008
    I don't think it's inappropriate, but I am just one man.
    edited December 2008
    It's not innappropriate if you stand to save people money.