If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Persona 4

Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited December 2008 in Staff Review Blogs
April

After a lengthy feud with Fed Ex, I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of Persona 4. I'm just coming 'round to the end of April now, roughly 8 hours in, and so far, I'm kind of mixed. It is by no means a bad game; it's terrific, but in many ways it feels like a step down from Persona 3.

I've had several issues with the changed gameplay already. My biggest complaint is that you can't analyze enemies anymore. Instead, you have to simply guess, and Teddie keeps track of what you've discovered. I suppose a full analysis ability might unlock as the game moves forward, but already at this stage in the game it's caused me to die once to a random enemy that repelled all four major elements.

It's also irritating that there don't seem to be many quick exits from dungeons. In the first zone, I did find one right at the very top that took me back down, but for the most part you have to rely on escape items. Then there's the fact that exploring the dungeon world takes place in the after school time period, when normally you would want to work on social links.

There are other minor things as well. The protagonist is limited to using katanas, physical attacks have been dumbed down into one category instead of three, and enemies always hear you coming, even if you approach from behind, making getting an advantage attack incredibly frustrating.

It's frustrating seeing these things, because many other areas have been drastically improved. The protagonist now often gains attributes like courage during social links, which is quite nice, and being able to manually control characters in battle is a definite plus. Dungeon floors are also a lot larger and more interesting to explore than Tartarus was.

A couple of last things to note before I move on to May... The game has a ridiculously long beginning. Too long, really. It took nearly four hours before I gained complete control over my character. Up until that point it was one scene after another with maybe three battles, with only occasional, brief stints of control that basically gave me an opportunity to save and nothing more. The game also seems to be much, much harder than P3, which definitely makes it feel a lot more like an SMT game. Expect to die a few times on each boss fight until you figure out their the right strategy to beat them.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, because I've always held that P3's biggest strength was it's accessibility compared to most SMT games. The game didn't try to force you to replay lengthy periods of gameplay when you screwed up, and it made sure that battles didn't (usually) seem unfair or impossible at first glance. I admit that some of the sub-bosses at floor checkpoints were a bit ridiculous, but the bosses were perfectly balanced.

Anyways, more at the end of May!

May

Despite my complaints, P4 is still managing to keep its hooks in me. Something about SMT games, particularly P3 and now P4, their boss battles are so unique that you just can't help but keep playing until you beat them. I just cleared the May boss, on my second attempt, though my first attempt wasn't really an attempt so much as a desperate bid to gather information. It was pretty easy to come up with a strategy and defeat it after that. I have to say, the May dungeon/boss is extremely amusing. I know Glenn would get a kick out of it, most likely.

A few more irritating random deaths occurred throughout the month, totally unexpectedly. I'm wondering if the Homunculus item from P3 is ever going to show it's face, because if it doesn't, random enemies with strong mudo/hama skills later in the game are going to get excruciatingly annoying. It's really cool that party members can save you from strikes that would normally kill you, but unfortunately it doesn't apply to AoE attacks, and that's where my deaths have happened so far. Once it was an extremely unlucky Rampage attack that crit my protagonist three times and killed him instantly, and the second time it was a Mamudo out of nowhere. Both of those set me back a solid hour of playtime, which was really irritating.

I met a character recently that allows you to heal your SP for a massive price. The character is also a social link, and the price decreases as you improve it. I've managed to get that link up to 5 now, so thankfully the price is fairly reasonable. I was also surprised, when I was levelling up in the dungeon, to meet that character in the middle of one of the dungeon floors. That caught me completely offguard, but it was quite nice, as it meant I could heal myself up without having to return to the entrance if I wanted.

Onward to June! More social links await.

June

Well, technically it's a week into July at this point. Unlike Persona 3, P4 doesn't seem to be rigidly sticking to one month periods. I also managed to complete this month's event using only two days in the dungeon, so that was pretty cool too.

The game's changes are beginning to grow on me a bit, though I'm still not entirely happy with them. I still can't get advantage attacks on any kind of reliable basis, but at least I'm starting to get used to the range of the katana, so I don't get ambushed.

I also really like that every month brings a new dungeon. I've been through three so far, and all of them have been unique, and sometimes disturbing. This last one was particularly amusing; the music for it even moreso.

More next month.

July

I was able to complete this month's dungeon in just a single game day. It does help that the social link attached to the SP healing character is at rank 9 now, which makes healing nice and (relatively) cheap.

The story is getting really good, and I'm finding myself more and more attached to the game (this is exactly what happened with P3, too.) I've also finally gotten used to the changes to the combat system and they don't bother me as much anymore. In particular, I've discovered a nice little trick that makes some battles a lot easier.

In P3, if you used an area attack (like mazio or maragi, etc.) and it missed a target or struck a target who wasn't weak to fire, even if all the others were weak to it, you wouldn't get another turn. This has changed in P4. If you knock down any enemy at all with an area attack, whether they all fall or not, that character gets an extra turn. This can lead to some interesting strategies. For example, say an enemy group consists of an enemy weak to fire, one weak to wind, and one without any weaknesses. You could cast maragi, knocking down one and dealing normal damage to the other two. Then you could switch personas and cast magaru, knocking down another one and getting another turn. Cast magaru again, and you've just struck the enemy with no weaknesses three times.

The combat is similar, but it's different enough that players are going to find themselves seeking new strategies. Oh, and I've started to find that the -nda spells are a lot more important in P4 than they were in P3. -kaja less so, but still useful. It seems like every boss knows how to use dekaja, and ma-kaja spells are expensive.

September

Yes, I've skipped a month. There was a bit of a lull there in August, due to summer vacation. The story picked up again in September, at which I'm only halfway through. However, the boss for this month is vanquished; I simply walked into his domain and told him who's boss. Piece of cake.

I've also started maxing out some social links, finally. To be specific, I've maxed out two of the main character's links, and with that, I discovered something I honestly wasn't expecting. In P3, at a certain point in the story, each character's persona would evolve into an ultimate form, bringing with it new powers and elemental strengths and weaknesses. In P4, the final persona is acquired by maxing out that character's social link. This, frankly, is brilliant. It may just be the best change in the game. It also made the last boss fight rather easy, as only one of my party members actually had an elemental weakness that the boss could exploit, thanks to their new personas.

This game just keeps getting better and better. Any reservations I had at the beginning are completely gone at this point, and the difficulty has actually tapered down to roughly the same level as P3. I think it was mostly just the unfamiliarity with the changes that caused it to appear more difficult.

Anyways, more in October.

October/Early November

<span class="spoiler">Alright, you son of a... this just got personal!</span>

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• _ethos_ethos Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I don't care about Persona, but I read the whole blog post!
    Says something about Megsy.
    [url=\"http://riddlethos.com\"]Riddlethos[/url] - Dragon Quest IX Week
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited November 2008
    It's a shame about the beginning... there's really no excuse for holding the player hostage that long.

Interesting design choice to shift the penalty for dungeon spelunking to something more tangible as well.
  • JoaqenixJoaqenix Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    Didn't P3 do that at the beginning as well? I really can't stand that either. Seems to be a general problem with RPGs where you just do nothing but read/watch for 2-3 hours.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I'm not too miffed about the loss of scanning. It really made a lot of the basic battles insanely trivial, and it never gave any real information when scanning bosses anyways. One less thing to do at the start of combat in the name of streamlining I can live with. Same with reducing physical attacks down to one type instead of 3 (neat idea, but physically weak monsters are fairly uncommon in P3. I feel like this mechanic wasn't well used in P3). Protagonist using katanas is fine by me. Not an issue due to the condensing of physical attacks. Plus I typically had my MC with a one-hand sword in P3 anyways.

Abundance of exit points in P3 makes sense. Dwaddle on the floor and you have the Reaper chasing you down, along with the fatigue system. I haven't heard anything about the Reaper chasing you and I know fatigue is gone. So there's not as big a need for exit points. Are escape items easy to acquire? I know they didn't show up in chests often in P3, or you just traded jewels for them.

EDIT: Also, I died easily an average of about 2 times on each boss in P3 (normal difficulty) so I don't know if "expect to die a few times on each boss" is a good metric for how hard a game is.

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2008
    Quote: wrote:
    I'm not too miffed about the loss of scanning. It really made a lot of the basic battles insanely trivial, and it never gave any real information when scanning bosses anyways. One less thing to do at the start of combat in the name of streamlining I can live with. Same with reducing physical attacks down to one type instead of 3 (neat idea, but physically weak monsters are fairly uncommon in P3. I feel like this mechanic wasn't well used in P3). Protagonist using katanas is fine by me. Not an issue due to the condensing of physical attacks. Plus I typically had my MC with a one-hand sword in P3 anyways.

I'm miffed by having katanas forced on me more for their out-of-battle practicality. Katanas are slow and have a terrible range. I always used spears in P3 because they were the most effective at hitting enemies before battle.
    Abundance of exit points in P3 makes sense. Dwaddle on the floor and you have the Reaper chasing you down, along with the fatigue system. I haven't heard anything about the Reaper chasing you and I know fatigue is gone. So there's not as big a need for exit points. Are escape items easy to acquire? I know they didn't show up in chests often in P3, or you just traded jewels for them.

The escape items are for sale in the item shop, so they're easy to get, but they cost a fair bit, especially in the early parts of the game when your money is limited. As the game moves on I expect I'll be able to afford them more easily.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    The Katana limitation is understandable because there's already only 1 attribute for physical attacks, which is what it had always used to be for most SMT games, with a few minor exceptions.

Escape items are sold at the item shop for really cheap, about Y750 each, and Teddy/Kuma gives you a few in Yukiko's dungeon. Starting May at least.

Money shouldn't become a problem around June, when you can start doingquests and jobs, and you start getting more money and sellable junk from fights.

I don't know about you, but P3 made sneaking up for an advantage attack ludicrously easy. When I started P4 I also had problems with sneaking up, but after a while I could get advantages for 50% of fights or so, which is good because it makes the game harder (which is what I want). It takes a lot more practice and patience to get it right now, which should be a good thing.

Big Tip: Buy the drinks in the vending machine outside the item shop, the 2nd one in the list, each one restores 10sp and you can buy 5 every week and it gets restocked every Monday. For the first 3 months you'll want to stick to physical attacks when clearing dungeons, and this is where Chie shines the most.

I generally like the fights better now because it makes the game harder. P3 could be a cakewalk with the ease in analysis and the ease in advantage attacks. Most people who started their SMT experience with P3 would naturally complain with the upped difficulty, but in my case the ease in P3 made some of the dungeon crawling boring. Now it makes me make sure I'm up on my toes every floor. I want my SMT game, main or spinoff, to raep me when I'm not paying attention.

And you probably haven't had to fight a link encounter yet....
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2008
    Compiling the physical damage types into one makes more sense once you see what weapons all your characters have... How would you classify a folding chair or a nine-iron, anyway?

Also, there's a special add-on to the Shuffle system that activates after the first dungeon is finished. One of the possible benefits you can win is a (short-term) boost to your analyzer. Otherwise, I think the analyzer is just there for reference purposes, and to keep track of what your party members' AI knows about each monster.
    edited November 2008
    Compiling the physical damage types into one makes more sense once you see what weapons all your characters have... How would you classify a folding chair or a nine-iron, anyway?

Also, there's a special add-on to the Shuffle system that activates after the first dungeon is finished. One of the possible benefits you can win is a (short-term) boost to your analyzer. Otherwise, I think the analyzer is just there for reference purposes, and to keep track of what your party members' AI knows about each monster.
    I never usually use Arcana Shuffle. I read the positive effects compared to the negative effects and for me only Judgement I found to be useful. You can easily get through a dungeon even without Arcana Shuffle bonuses, and the full SP Arcana bonus means you have one less day spent inside a dungeon. The negative effects I found to be far too much of a risk.

The SP shortage is understandable since you don't heal your SP/HP at the TV lobby, which is why you should horde Vending Machine drinks when you can spare the cash. It's only Y120 a can in front of the item shop. Most of your SP will most likely go for your healing, which would be a problem for the first 2 dungeons. Once you get Yukiko however, who has more SP than HP anyway, the problem should lessen.

And like P3, it's still all about the Persona you have, not your level or your equips.

My general pattern for clearing a dungeon is 4 days:

Day 1: Fight until the mid boss, defeat him and exit.
    Day 2: Fight until the top floor, exit using the butterfly.
    Day 3: Level and money grind until you run out of SP. Usually on the top 3 floors of the dungeon.
    Day 4: Fight the boss.

Eventually the fox will start offering SP heals, but since he's a greedy bastard it's up to you if you want to pay him. I generally find it a better option for post-September dungeons if you levelled his S.Link enough as money gets really abundant, but that's your option.

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2008
    I generally like the fights better now because it makes the game harder. P3 could be a cakewalk with the ease in analysis and the ease in advantage attacks. Most people who started their SMT experience with P3 would naturally complain with the upped difficulty, but in my case the ease in P3 made some of the dungeon crawling boring. Now it makes me make sure I'm up on my toes every floor. I want my SMT game, main or spinoff, to raep me when I'm not paying attention.

That's the thing though. For SMT fans, sure, you might want a harder difficulty, but when was the last time you heard about an SMT game doing as well as Persona 3 did?

I honestly believe the relaxing of the difficulty in P3 is what made it so successful and I think they should have kept that. An increased difficulty is going to turn away people who normally wouldn't play an SMT game but played P3. I spoke to a lot of people who actually thought P3 was too hard a lot of the time, and making it harder is not going to sit well with them.
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited November 2008
    I honestly believe the relaxing of the difficulty in P3 is what made it so successful and I think they should have kept that.
    The game is easier than the other turn-based PS2 SMTs but it's still pretty unforgiving with boss battles and even regular encounters. For someone who plays jRPGs casually, it was very easy to die in a normal battle.

I'd personally put more stock into the fact that P3 integrated a student simulation and that the story was mysterious. As for the difficulty rising, I'm all for it as long as it's reasonably balanced which I'm sure it is.
    edited November 2008
    Well in terms of difficulty progression I think the overall challenge slopes at a fairer rate than P3. Changing floor sections or whole blocks tend to drastically change enemy difficulty, and some of the bosses can be really nasty the first time through. At least with P4 the enemy challenge ups every few floors, and the way your allies will pull the MC's ass out of bad situations can save a few hours of grief.

Since each dungeon is each a separate entity, you really won't be seeing sudden spikes in difficulty during long dungeon crawls.
    edited November 2008
    Well in terms of difficulty progression I think the overall challenge slopes at a fairer rate than P3. Changing floor sections or whole blocks tend to drastically change enemy difficulty, and some of the bosses can be really nasty the first time through. At least with P4 the enemy challenge ups every few floors, and the way your allies will pull the MC's ass out of bad situations can save a few hours of grief.

Since each dungeon is each a separate entity, you really won't be seeing sudden spikes in difficulty during long dungeon crawls.
    I have been noticing the enemies increasing in strength every couple of floors, and it's definitely nice. I also like the fact that if you port out with an item you can re-enter the dungeon at the same floor you were at. I think I'll be making use of that every 3 or so floors just to prevent losing progress to a random piece of BS (like, on the fourth floor, having an enemy use Rampage and crit the protagonist 3 times, instantly killing him. That pissed me off a lot.)

Also, your title is awesome.
    edited November 2008
    I personally like the Japanese version jingle of the Junes department store better for some reason...

Unless of course you're playing it in English, if you are then I hate you. devil.gif
    edited November 2008
    I personally like the Japanese version jingle of the Junes department store better for some reason...

Unless of course you're playing it in English, if you are then I hate you. devil.gif
    Awww, I can't stand being hated. Wait a second, everyone hates me... I'm a critic!

... I've made myself sad now.

Edit: *updated*

edited November 2008
    *updated again*
    edited November 2008
    I also really like that every month brings a new dungeon. I've been through three so far, and all of them have been unique, and sometimes disturbing. This last one was particularly amusing; the music for it even moreso.
    I'm looking forward to this aspect a ton. Spending two months in each block in P3 really annoyed me after 50 hours of game play. A little change of scenery would be nice. If they had done 10 blocks instead of 5 and opened up a new block every month that would've been better. Oh well...
    edited November 2008
    To sweeten the deal, each dungeon has its own unique theme and music, which can be really, really funny.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2008
    Great post, Omega. I agree with your sentiment regarding the difficulty. I love the SMT series too, but even I'll admit that instant death situations and bosses that take a time or two to figure out their patterns/strengths/weaknesses (and having to repeat good size chunks of content) can certainly be frustrating. Addressing those issues certainly broadens the appeal.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited November 2008
    *updated*
    edited December 2008
    *updated again*
    edited December 2008
    In particular, I've discovered a nice little trick that makes some battles a lot easier.

In P3, if you used an area attack (like mazio or maragi, etc.) and it missed a target or struck a target who wasn't weak to fire, even if all the others were weak to it, you wouldn't get another turn. This has changed in P4. If you knock down any enemy at all with an area attack, whether they all fall or not, that character gets an extra turn. This can lead to some interesting strategies. For example, say an enemy group consists of an enemy weak to fire, one weak to wind, and one without any weaknesses. You could cast maragi, knocking down one and dealing normal damage to the other two. Then you could switch personas and cast magaru, knocking down another one and getting another turn. Cast magaru again, and you've just struck the enemy with no weaknesses three times.

The combat is similar, but it's different enough that players are going to find themselves seeking new strategies. Oh, and I've started to find that the -nda spells are a lot more important in P4 than they were in P3. -kaja less so, but still useful. It seems like every boss knows how to use dekaja, and ma-kaja spells are expensive.
    I am totally looking forward to this change. Should streamline battles a little more, which I thought was half the point of all-out attacks: wiping the floor with simple enemies that you can out-tactic.

I agree about the debuffs in this series. I've been a strict Square-Enix devotee up until recently, and if there's one thing that standard Final Fantasy games lack it's debuffs. P3 was my first real experience with extensively using debuffs as part of boss battle strategies and I was really surprised at how useful characters like Akihiko can be in this regard.
    edited December 2008
    Quick question - how well have the localizers dealt with some of the more mature themes in the social events? I'm working on the Devil Arcana right now, and it's got me wondering wink.gif
    edited December 2008
    Quick question - how well have the localizers dealt with some of the more mature themes in the social events? I'm working on the Devil Arcana right now, and it's got me wondering wink.gif
    As far as I can tell, nothing's been stripped or dumbed down. There's a fair bit of drinking, a bit of swearing, etc.
    edited December 2008
    As far as I can tell, nothing's been stripped or dumbed down. There's a fair bit of drinking, a bit of swearing, etc.
    Well hopefully they didn't choose to edit the nightclub drinking scene. Even if it was in Japanese, it was still hilarious.
    edited December 2008
    Well hopefully they didn't choose to edit the nightclub drinking scene. Even if it was in Japanese, it was still hilarious.
    No, they definitely didn't. And yes, it was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

<span class="spoiler">Teddie tackling Kanji to 'smooch' him was as disturbing as it was hilarious.</span>

edited December 2008
    Because Teddy is awesome, even if he looks like "that."

Actually I was more interested in the cameos, especially "her." Seeing her more confident and still wearing glasses was awesome, she looks a lot better there, too bad she wasn't an S.link this time around.

Who did you choose for the King Game in the nightclub?
    edited December 2008

Actually I was more interested in the cameos, especially "her." Seeing her more confident and still wearing glasses was awesome, she looks a lot better there, too bad she wasn't an S.link this time around.

The cameos are still there, if you're referring to <span class="spoiler">Chihiro. Edogawa does a guest lecture, too. Chihiro also makes a veiled reference to Mitsuru, but you never see her.</span>

I ended up with Chie in the King's Game. Though I'm glad, because at the time I'd just started a relationship with her. Now I'm cheating on her with Rise (though to be fair, you're not really given much of a choice in her S. Link. <span class="spoiler">The poor kid is crying her eyes out, and I'm supposed to stand there doing nothing? That's just cold.</span>) Luckily it hasn't had any negative side effects, since I had already maxed Chie's link.
    edited December 2008

The cameos are still there, if you're referring to <span class="spoiler">Chihiro. Edogawa does a guest lecture, too. Chihiro also makes a veiled reference to Mitsuru, but you never see her.</span>

I ended up with Chie in the King's Game. Though I'm glad, because at the time I'd just started a relationship with her. Now I'm cheating on her with Rise (though to be fair, you're not really given much of a choice in her S. Link. <span class="spoiler">The poor kid is crying her eyes out, and I'm supposed to stand there doing nothing? That's just cold.</span>) Luckily it hasn't had any negative side effects, since I had already maxed Chie's link.
    I think it's better to max out the girls before doing the next one since two-timing/three-timing/multi-timing them tends to get you busted on Sunday dates with them. Yes it has happened.
    edited December 2008
    I totally screwed up my dating in Persona 3 by having the Trainer go Reverse on me right before summer vacation, it'd be really nice if the game was a bit more obvious when your GF gets mad because you accidentally let another girl's relationship get too high.

Or maybe I need to work on my real-life social skills so I can pick up on stuff like this?
    edited December 2008
    I totally screwed up my dating in Persona 3 by having the Trainer go Reverse on me right before summer vacation, it'd be really nice if the game was a bit more obvious when your GF gets mad because you accidentally let another girl's relationship get too high.

Or maybe I need to work on my real-life social skills so I can pick up on stuff like this?
    It doesn't work that way in P4. You actually have to start a relationship with the girl, and there's always a way to just be friends.
This discussion has been closed.