If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Persona 4

2»

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Well last night I got Chihiro to the point where we're dating, and the game does make it very clear not to be seen with other girls. I must've missed the warning message with Yuko.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Well last night I got Chihiro to the point where we're dating, and the game does make it very clear not to be seen with other girls. I must've missed the warning message with Yuko.
    Seems you do not possess teh skillz, good sir.

And you shouldn't be allowed to play P4 until you finish FES. devil.gif

Edit - I just saw Naoto's videos at the main site. I'm gonna go fangasm in the bathroom before I sleep.

edited December 2008
    And you shouldn't be allowed to play P4 until you finish FES.
    Why do you think I'm having a Fes binge this weekend? Won't get to The After but I should be very close, if not done with The Journey by Monday morning.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    Why do you think I'm having a Fes binge this weekend? Won't get to The After but I should be very close, if not done with The Journey by Monday morning.
    I don't even want to play the Answer because I'm afraid it'll ruin P3's amazing ending.

Speaking of which, I just finished Persona 4, seeing both the normal and the "true" ending. What a disappointment :-&#92; The story just took a nosedive in December :-&#92; I'm honestly thinking that the "bad" ending might actually be the best ending of them all, in terms of emotional impact at least. <span class="spoiler">Nanako is dead and you push the bastard that did it into the TV world to get his comeuppance. It's a dark ending, but it certainly beats going after the "real" killer, or the "real" real killer.</span>
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited December 2008
    I don't even want to play the Answer because I'm afraid it'll ruin P3's amazing ending.

Speaking of which, I just finished Persona 4, seeing both the normal and the "true" ending. What a disappointment :-&#92; The story just took a nosedive in December :-&#92; I'm honestly thinking that the "bad" ending might actually be the best ending of them all, in terms of emotional impact at least. <span class="spoiler">Nanako is dead and you push the bastard that did it into the TV world to get his comeuppance. It's a dark ending, but it certainly beats going after the "real" killer, or the "real" real killer.</span>
    I saw the ending on Youtube before (didn't bother finishing the Jap version) and I say that I like this ending better.

<span class="spoiler">For a story about facing one's true self in the midst of life's pressures and ideal selves, it would make no sense if the MC did a Minato and offered himself a sacrifice to an all-powerful deity. By throwing away the glasses he signifies the will to live and to see the truth of life with his own two eyes, and not through some lens that clears away the things about others and himself that he doesn't want to see. He decides not to hide behind glasses or masks and face this problem head on. To see the truth with his own eyes.</span>

"Reach out to the truth", as the titular song goes.
    edited December 2008
    Out of curiosity, how long is this game compared to P3? I'm approaching 100 hours on Persona 3 right now, and I'm really surprised at how quickly omegabyte beat the new one.
    edited December 2008
    For me a tad bit shorter. Maybe around 80 hours, which is still hell of a lot longer than the vast majority of RPGs anyway.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    I saw the ending on Youtube before (didn't bother finishing the Jap version) and I say that I like this ending better.

<span class="spoiler">For a story about facing one's true self in the midst of life's pressures and ideal selves, it would make no sense if the MC did a Minato and offered himself a sacrifice to an all-powerful deity. By throwing away the glasses he signifies the will to live and to see the truth of life with his own two eyes, and not through some lens that clears away the things about others and himself that he doesn't want to see. He decides not to hide behind glasses or masks and face this problem head on. To see the truth with his own eyes.</span>

"Reach out to the truth", as the titular song goes.
    I haven't actually watched the bad ending, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as thorough as the "true" one. Of the two I saw, the true ending is definitely more complete, and definitely the better ending, but I still can't help but feel it's lacking.

<span class="spoiler">It's certainly true that it wouldn't make sense for the main character to sacrifice himself like P3's protagonist, but it still lacked the kind of punch that P3 did. Izanami isn't a very compelling "true" villain. Her motives, much like Adachi's, are too sketchy and unbelievable, and this is particularly true when being delivered by a God. It also leads to too many coincidences in the main story, particularly to do with the TV. Mainly that, aside from the one false lead murder, every character that was killed/kidnapped appeared on the midnight channel. It's too much of a coincidence that the first two murders committed by Adachi appeared on the Midnight channel first if the midnight channel just shows what people want to see rather than being some form of divine precognition. Furthermore, it's very bizarre that a God would have to resort to such ridiculous lengths to bring about the end of the world, manipulating dozens of people into unwittingly doing her bidding. I mean, Nyx certainly didn't need to do anything like that. In P3 it was the people who brought Nyx out. Nyx wasn't even involved until Strega called for her.

In any case, my point with those comments is mainly that, at the point in the game where you catch Namatame and have the opportunity to throw him into the TV and get the "bad" ending, it feels far more like a climax than the actual one. The game goes into a decline after that sequence of events.

There are so many better ways they could have ended it, too. If I'd been writing it, I would have made Teddie the shadow of the true villain - the part of himself that he didn't want to face; his conscience, if you will. While the lead cast was fighting against the fog, the villain would have embraced it, trying to hide in a world that wants to know everyone. It would have given him good motive to go after those who had become famous, as well, since he would view fame as an evil and a curse. It would also provide for some an interesting final encounter, since his "true" self Teddie wants nothing more than to be recognized and liked. That's how I'd have written it, anyways (and honestly, that's how I actually expected it to go for a while there too. There were a lot of things to suggest Teddie was more than just some weird creature living in the TV world, and I really think he should have been more involved in the ultimate outcome of the case.)</span>

Also, yes, the game is a bit shorter. It took me just shy of 80 hours to beat it.

edited December 2008
    Music to my ears, that 80 hours is.

Persona 3 has made me terrified of getting back into Final Fantasy again. I've sunk 140 hours between FES and the 40 hours I put into the base game sad.gif
    edited December 2008
    Review

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.