If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dokapon Kingdom

_ethos_ethos MemberFull Members
edited January 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
Wednesday December 10th
3:45PM Eastern Standard Time
The Concert Hall
Tom Cruise was here Monday. Now I've got no one -

Ugh. I know every other place in the universe has a review of this game, but that's just a testament to how viciously I've been avoiding playing it.
If you didn't read all the impressions we had earlier, Dokapon Kingdom is a party-RPG. But instead of being a fun mash-up, it takes away all the fun of a RPG while keeping all the annoying, random elements of a party game.
I've only played a few hours so far total, so I'm willing to have my mind changed, but so far the annoying voices, terrible music, and arbitrary game-altering random elements just make me want to kill small children whenever I turn on the Wii.
Let's hope it gets better from here...

_ethos
[url=\"http://riddlethos.com\"]Riddlethos[/url] - Dragon Quest IX Week

Comments

• Green NuGreen Nu Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    I would think they could have improved the visuals a little bit. If I remember correctly from the few hours I played it, they looked almost PS1-era.
    You must gather your party before venturing forth
  • _ethos_ethos Member Full Members
    edited December 2008
    They do. Also I don't like this game.
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited December 2008
    Are you playing by yourself? If so, don't. Go get someone else to play with. Or more than one other person.

I think the voices are intentionally over the top although I know I tried to convince everyone else to allow me to turn them off. Yay for options!

Lastly, why isn't Paws reviewing this? I thought she said she was playing it on the podcast over a month ago?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2008
    Paws really isn't officially reviewing anything right now. Her new job elsewhere (and WoW) are keeping her fairly full up.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2008
    Paws really isn't officially reviewing anything right now. Her new job elsewhere (and WoW) are keeping her fairly full up.
    Ah ok. I figured Ethos was handed it out of spite after entering into a heated fanboy argument with FireMyst a while back biggrin.gif
    edited December 2008
    I actually did play it with somebody else and it wasn't a great experience.
    It's not exactly a pick up and play title.
    Which is a terrible choice for a party game.
    Also, there's no online so that you could more easily meet up with friends who might "get it" quicker.
    I'm having more fun with the single player.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    Ah ok. I figured Ethos was handed it out of spite after entering into a heated fanboy argument with FireMyst a while back biggrin.gif
    Forcing Ethos to play something out of spite would serve no purpose.

It takes him months just to finish the stuff he wants to play biggrin.gif
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited December 2008
    Chris and Ethos are the same person? It suddenly makes so much sense now!
    edited December 2008
    Exactly, so imagine how long it takes me to beat a game I DON'T want to play!

...like Dokapon Kingdom.

ps I don't like this game.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    Lastly, why isn't Paws reviewing this? I thought she said she was playing it on the podcast over a month ago?
    I've been playing it stop and start since it came out, but I haven't been mentioning it on the podcast because saying every week "I beat up my husband, then he beat me up, then we unleashed a dark power and undid all our progress" seems silly. It's not a game you sit down and play through until you're done.
    edited December 2008
    I've been playing it stop and start since it came out, but I haven't been mentioning it on the podcast because saying every week "I beat up my husband, then he beat me up, then we unleashed a dark power and undid all our progress" seems silly. It's not a game you sit down and play through until you're done.
    Not on the main quest that's for sure with 2 people and no AI. Tried a normal game with 3 people and we kept having to bump up the week limit because we weren't ready to call it quits yet.

Oddly, I expected this game to replace Mario Party and the style is different enough from Mario Party I could easily keep both in my library... if Mario Party 8 wasn't a pile of trash.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2009
    So... a single, five sentence blog entry and that's it? You will never be Employee of the Month this way.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited January 2009
    Bloo-ya!
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2009
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
This discussion has been closed.