If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Rune Factory 2

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited April 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
Current Playtime - 1/2 hour (Spring Time)

Last Christmas I was given a gift from my boyfriend - Rune Factory. A game that was not only a farming simulator, but you could befriend monsters. While I've had the game a year, I still have yet to complete it considering how vast the game is. Like Harvest Moon, Rune Factory can take anywhere between forty hours to over a hundred depending on how you play the game. Considering there's barely any story, I tend to make up my own, so don't be surprised if this blog is filled with my own inane ramblings about my farmer.

In the original Rune Factory, my farmer was named Spiffy. Spiffy was terrible with women, and he felt that giving girls yarn and squid were perfectly acceptable gifts. For me, giving my own characterization I find helps me play these games. I have decided that my new farmer, Nifty, is going to try to woo the women. Why? Because its more fun for you as readers of this blog, and for me, who's playing through the game.

What's there to say about Rune Factory 2 so far? It pretty much begins the same way as Rune Factory - farmer has amnesia, farmer has no idea how he's ended up in the main town, farmer meets a young girl, girl decides to ask a complete stranger to take over her extra farmer property (probably because she feels sorry for him?). Actually, this moment made me giggle, but I giggle easily: Mana says, "Nifty, huh? That's a nice name!" - haha I am so funny. tounge2.gif

Any ways, from what I've played, it seems like there has been enough changes. For one thing, unlike the original RF, in RF2, your already given a massive house filled with appliances and a king size bed - this feeling far closer to HM then the original RF. Also, I just cleared out my field and I got lots of medical herbs, and also I had to buy my hoe and watering can! Clearly I was spoiled in RF because all the items are given to me. Perhaps this is a part of Douglas (Mana's father) humor. I don't know, but he did cause an earthquake because he seems to think I'm going to marry his daughter...which I might!

Also, running is automatic, in the original RF, it was not. Not sure why I am pointing that out.

There is also a new weapon feature, "Skill Seal" which allows Nifty (yes, this is how I will be referring to my farmer) weapon skills for when he's in caves. I look forward to testing those out once I get the opportunity to go into a cave.

I think I am going to love Mana's father, Douglas. He seems to constantly assume that I want to marry his daughter and that I'm really cheap. This amuses me.

Any ways, this is about all of an impression I can give until I progress a bit further... except my DS needs to be recharged.

More soon on Nifty's Excellent Adventure.

12/19/08 - Current Play Time: 3 hours (if not more)

There doesn't seem to be a clock in this game. Oh well. Short update.

I just had a neat little typo appear. I went get recovery potion from Natalie and when the you actually get the item the dialog says "You got a Tomato!". Whaaaa?

Also in another moment when I took on Gordon's request I went to go and speak with him and the dialog box was just a period, then you press B again and he talks about the request. It was weird to say the least.

Working on wooing either Dorothy or Cecelia at the moment. It is sort of working...

More soon.

01/03/09 - Current Play Time: just under 20 hours (Summer)

Wow. Its been awhile since I've updated this thing, huh? Any ways, I spent a lot of time on vacation playing this game, and my thoughts and what I feel about it are becoming much more solid. I still haven't gotten married yet, nor have I hit generation two... I'm close, but I still have a few more things I'd like to accomplish before I can continue. Needless to say, some of the flaws in this game really stick out like an eyesore.

Any ways, Nifty has two women after him: Cecilia and Mana. I don't really like either of them, but somehow the game has made it extremely easy to rack up the love points for both of them. The girl I was actually after is Dorothy, and its really trick to get the points to go up. Naturally, I give her gifts and I talk to her lots, but not much in the ways of sparks, I must say.

Any ways, I'd be more coherent about this but I really need a nap. Any ways, the game is progressing, that's about it for now until something odd or interesting happens.

01/05/09 - Current Play Time: about 21 hours (at least!)

NIFTY GOT MARRIED!

...his playboy days are officially over.

01/10/09 - Current Play Time: just under 30 hours (Fall)

I've just entered Fall. Mana, my wife, just had a kid. Apparently pregnancy happens in nine days. Right, Rune Factory, because babies are a form of magic.

While I think the idea of a generation system is interesting in RF2, I also think its just a gimmick to prolong the monotony of the game. Considering generation one is so limited to the things you can do, I'm hoping that generation two will open up more of the dungeons and furthermore, open up more quests, which ever since I got married, have been few and far between.

I still think RF2 logic for pregnancy is hilarious.

01/16/09 - Current Play Time: about 35 hours (Spring)

I've officially made it into generation two, and generation two feels far more like the first Rune Factory than the first generation did. All my weapons and tools have rusted over so I have been upgrading to better weapons.

The dungeons are structured much differently than the first game. In the original RF you have to till all the soil in each cave before you could open up the next cave. In RF2, all the dungeons are fully accessible. The only way to progress in each dungeon is to fulfill the tasks given to you by the stone tablets that block paths ways. I managed to beat the Spring dungeon on my first try, mostly because I had enough of the materials requested already on hand. I've started the Summer dungeon, but its taking me a bit because I have to grow pineapples to progress... and pineapples take FOREVER.

Also in true RF form, generation two's difficult has ramped up quite nicely, and leveling does not take as long as it use to. Actually the game is really unbalanced in a lot of ways, but the limitations of generation one made it difficult to do anything really. but the goal of generation one is simple - get married. That's about it. I'd love to spoil the plot of this game, because the game officially now has plot as well, but I won't (not that I think there are too many people on this forum who play HM games, let alone RF. I could easily be wrong though).

Generation two is a lot better though, but its still extremely tedious. Also, the lag in this game in generation two is far worse than generation one, mostly because there's too much stuff going on the screen at once. Combat is still slow, and its easier to be hit than land a hit.

Any ways, I will not be updating this blog again until I've beaten the next dungeon, which will hopefully be soon. Except for the part where I have to grow PINEAPPLES!

01/23/09 - roughly 40 hours (Spring)

Okay, so I finally beat the Summer dungeon, and god it took longer than it needed to. This game still isn't explaining itself very well, in that I've been looking on FAQs and trying to find hints, but there's still no explanation of what the alters in each dungeon are for. I'm unsure whether or not then if I've truly completed each of dungeon or not. I still have three more to go, so next I plan to tackle the Fall dungeon, which means there's a good chance I can gain some more levels. Besides, I bet I'll have to grow more crops in the dungeon, OH JOY. >_>

Oddly enough, all the glitches I've encountered in generation one seem nonexistent in generation two. It makes me wonder how much effort was put into generation one. Still, generation two has been all right for the most part in that the action elements are -kind of- fun. Not "fun", just kind of. I've only died once in this game and that's because I ran out of HP while tilling a field in a dungeon.

Item creation is all right in this game too. There's a lot of different things to create, but at the same time, its really tedious and requires that you take school lessons to get the recipes and THEN you make new weapons and items.

Next time I update, hopefully I will have completed the next dungeon.

01/29/09 - roughly 40 hours (Spring)

Took a small break form this game to put some hours into FFIV DS, and while I haven't tacked too much of the Fall dungeon, I did something that I think Natsume was going for "cute" but I'd prefer to say "bwah?" over.

I just got married again. It was a mock wedding where Biff (the main character) just had his life threatened by the priest of the town because I married his daughter Cammy. Dude, Biff is NINE! And Cammy has to be at least thirteen or fourteen.

Guys, cougar status or what? Well, maybe not quite yet. tounge2.gif

02/07/09 - roughly 50 hours (Summer)

I beat the Fall dungeon the other day. Two more to go.

Is this game over yet?

04/08/09 - god only knows

All right, so I've picked this game up again. I recognize I haven't updated this thing in awhile nor have I play it sine the last time I updated. Simply put - school is out to kill me and I've had a few gems worth playing over this. I still plan on finishing it, I just think it might be time for me to take on a new approach.

Silly as it sounds, I got stuck in in the Winter Dungeon, as the stupid boss kept killing me repeatedly because it is cheap. Once it turns purple, its attack and strength double, and it gets really tricky to land a hit because as I mentioned in my impression, your heroes attack is always slightly slower than the enemy and you are more like to be hit then land a hit. After getting annoyed with this boss fight, I put the game down for awhile.

So, I picked it up again to be my bus game on the way to school, and I've decided I'm going to work on grinding a bit and then trying again. I'm at level 37 at the moment, and I'm going to try again when I hit 40. Also, crafting things in this game takes forever mostly because its very time consuming, and most of the time everything you make is likely to fail even if you have the right ingredients. So I'm going to try upping my pharmacy skills so I can make some RP potions which is seriously what I really need at the moment. That's the other thing I'm noticing, RP dries up so quickly that you literally have periods where you can't do anything because you've wasted it. I think I've had hours (in game time) where I had to wait around for the bath house to open just so I could replenish my rune points.

Blaaah. I just want to finish this game and write the review already.

More soon.

04/09/09

zomg! I finally beat the boss I was stuck on!

...wow, I am really lame.

05/02/09

Hey guys. You're all probably wondering why I still haven't completed this game. Unfortunately with a heavy workload in my final semester of undergrad has really sidetrack me from completing any games at the moment. As soon as my semester finishes, I will finish this game as I only have one dungeon left to complete. As soon as all my papers and my honours thesis are complete, except to see me reviewing quite few games!

Sorry again for the inconvenience.

05/27/09

Hey guys,

I have been insanely busy since I finished school. My friend from Scotland has been here the moment since I finished my classes. ^^; I still haven't forgotten about this, I swear! I just haven't had time to sit down and finish the final dungeon for this game either. I WILL FINISH THIS! But for now, I'm going to lock this blog because since I am in the final area, there won't be anything interesting worth discussing. Hopefully, there will be a review up for this BEFORE the end of June. I'm determined!

Best,

Nyx

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2008
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2009
    So did you finally nail Dorothy or does she not like guys?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2009
    Dorothy finally stopped liking my gifts of yarn and squid. -.- That and Mana and Cecilia's love levels were far too high compared to hers!

So I ended up marrying Mana... and it saddens me because if I had done one more quest, I probably could have married Cecilia. But yeah, I just didn't get Dorothy high enough, and apparently the second generation is going to take me a lot longer to get through.

His poor manhood. D:

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2009
    That reminds me of the two times I was offered Harvest Moon games to review, and I declined. I do have my intelligent moments. Just reading your blog makes me never want to play a HM game again.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited January 2009
    Ouch! Love you too, 7th!

Is my blog that much of a mind-numbing experience? I'm working with the most monotonous game ever! It's not like there's that much to talk about... biggrin.gif;
    edited January 2009
    No, it's not that your blog is boring. It's that your blog describes HM gameplay, and HM gameplay is boring. Reading that after 20 hours of gameplay, you just reached... summer?! It brings back painful memories.

And really, I've been wanting to go back and try the SNES or PS1 HM for a while, but after I was so disappointed by the GC version, I have trouble making myself commit to another HM title. All the recent ones sound like trash to me.
    edited January 2009
    RF tries to be different in that it provides some dungeon crawling, combat and monster taming, but at the same time its not developed very well. The difficultly in the original RF was really unbalanced because the main character was really slow, and for the sole fact that it is so damn easy to die when you go into the cave, and healing herbs barely restored any heath, but if you had potions you were fine. In RF2, healing items are worth more (yay!) but the downside is you level a lot slower because your options in generation one to level are so limited.

After this game, I probably won't be able to play another HM game for a long while. Then I'll get that silly craving I get once in a blue moon that will make me pick it up again. But I understand everything your saying, and I remember playing the GC one too and being really bored with it really fast...

And *quick update*
    edited January 2009
    Quote: wrote:
    I've just entered Fall. Mana, my wife, just had a kid. Apparently pregnancy happens in nine days.

Shotgun wedding! Harvent Moon: encouraging teenage, pre-marital pregnancy since 2008.
    edited January 2009
    Dude, Rune Factory 2 makes me feel like a dead beat dad. That's not a good sign. Though, I do love the idea of a shotgun wedding!

Also *updated*

edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    edited February 2009
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for your blog, BTW. I forgot to write earlier, but it totally convinced me to take it off the list for games to get for my wife. She usually likes HM, but its evident they are just getting worse in the areas they are weak in.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for your blog, BTW. I forgot to write earlier, but it totally convinced me to take it off the list for games to get for my wife. She usually likes HM, but its evident they are just getting worse in the areas they are weak in.
    You're welcome! I will finish this game soon! Although school is catching up to me so my time for gaming is going to be limited. I wanted this game to be good, but I'm not having as much fun with it as I did the first RF game. I generally am okay with HM games even though I never finish them, but wanting to pick this game up for pleasure feels more like a chore! sad.gif

edited April 2009
This discussion has been closed.