If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2009 Completed Games List.

1262728293032»

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Dead Space(PS3) on 12/30/09.

Really not the Resident Evil 5 killer it was made out to be. Being able to strafe is nice, but not when it comes with flooding rooms with enemies disguised as actual difficulty and a horribly disjointed and poorly explained plot.
    Hah hah... there is no comparison, Dead Space completely owns the snoozfest that RE5 turned out to be, and unlike the horrendously crafted buddy system nonsense in RE5, Dead Space is actually fun to play.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Dead Space(PS3) on 12/30/09.

Really not the Resident Evil 5 killer it was made out to be. Being able to strafe is nice, but not when it comes with flooding rooms with enemies disguised as actual difficulty and a horribly disjointed and poorly explained plot.
    Hah hah... there is no comparison, Dead Space completely owns the snoozfest that RE5 turned out to be, and unlike the horrendously crafted buddy system nonsense in RE5, Dead Space is actually fun to play.
    The only problem with RE5's buddy system was that Sheva goes through ammo just a little too quickly, but the game still compensates by having plenty of ammo available.

This is in contrast to DS, where as I mentioned they flood rooms with tons of enemies, often coming from vents that are conveinently(sp?) right above your head and where they lock you in so you can't even get a breather. Even more damning, ammo is much harder to come by, requiring frequent trips to the store(or a reset), which are often far spread apart.

So really, you're right. There is no comparison. RE5 > Dead Space all day, and twice on Sunday. The ability to strafe does not make up for all the other horrid design decisions in this game.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited December 2009
    The only people who think RE5>DS are simply RE fanboys and need to be put down for the betterment of mankind. RE5 was a total waste of space and EVERYTHING about DS is better. Sorry, Slayer.

The thing is, You're supposed to use a mower type weapon in the flood rooms. Like that long line cutter. Also, I never had a problem with ammo in the game. I don't know why you did. And even still, It's a survival horror game. You're supposed to have limited resources and have to carefully manage those resources to survive. This was obviously something that RE has forgotten.

RE5 tried to hard to be an action game without letting it be a friggin action game. Tank controls and awful pacing FTL.

edited December 2009
    So, Anyway, I'll try and get the list finished for midnight tonight. If not, It WILL happen tomorrow. The 2010 Thread will be opened tonight at midnight, however.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2009
    Beat Sacrifice (PC). It's a game I go back to every few years for a quick playthrough over 2 or 3 days. GOG had it on sale this week and I couldn't resist buying it for a 3rd time. Sacrifice is my Favorite Game No One Else Played. Love it.

I mostly followed Stratos until the last mission, where after finding out he worked with Jadugarr, I went with Charnel. In my playthrough, Stratos backstabs James and Persephone. Charnel backstabs Pyro. Then Jadugarr and Hachimen kill off Stratos just before I arrive to kill them.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    The only people who think RE5>DS are simply RE fanboys and need to be put down for the betterment of mankind. RE5 was a total waste of space and EVERYTHING about DS is better. Sorry, Slayer.
    Please FB, leave the cheap and immature insults on the schoolyard. They're not appreciated.
    Quote: wrote:
    The thing is, You're supposed to use a mower type weapon in the flood rooms. Like that long line cutter.

That would work if the enemies were grouped together, but they're not. They're often spread out all over the place, with one or two attacking you up close, and others launching long range attacks at you from afar and every angle. This requires lots of blind shooting, hence my complaint about bad ammo placement, which leads me nicely to...
    And even still, It's a survival horror game. You're supposed to have limited resources and have to carefully manage those resources to survive. This was obviously something that RE has forgotten.

As you and a number of others have claimed, Dead Space was an improvement on the more action oriented focus on survival horror that RE4 started. Dead Space is indeed more action oriented, focusing on you having to kill everything that moves, and not simply escaping from it, such as in earlier titles in the RE series.

It would stand to reason then to make ammo as plentiful as possible, especially considering the number of enemies you have to kill. The conserve ammo motif really doesn't apply here. RE4 and RE5 figured that out. Dead Space didn't, which is particularly unfortunate considering my above complaint about flood rooms and the style of enemies you fight.

Also, for all of Dead Space's supposed focus on dismemberment, it becomes less and less an option the longer the game goes on. As noted, the flood rooms make twitch shooting a must, and just regular rooms no longer give you the time and space to dismember things, since the enemies, particularly the really fast ones, give you no time to aim.

This is in contrast to Re4 and 5, where aiming at the head of a Ganado/Majini for instance, opens up a QTE that effects everything standing nearby, giving you time to aim.
    RE5 tried to hard to be an action game without letting it be a friggin action game. Tank controls and awful pacing FTL.

Tank control complaint is valid, as noted. Although I find your wording amusing, considering Dead Space itself tries to be an action game, yet uses survival horror item placement mechanics that really do not fit in an action game.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2010
    Alright! Thanks for the wonderful year! List will be updated for the final time sometime tomorrow!
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2010
    Closing this off as it is had a final update.
    Number of games finished total: 720!!!
    Number of people participating: 63!!!
    http://board.rpgamer.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?act=ST;f=17;t=16997

Number of games finished total: 848!!
    Number of people participatingr: 64!
    http://board.rpgamer.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?act=ST;f=17;t=18658

Grats everyone.
This discussion has been closed.