If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Did Someone Hack the Boards

MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar CapturedFull Members
edited March 2009 in Site & Forum Support
Did someone hack into the message boards. I noticed that a large number of members had their custom avatars changed to the same image. How did this happen? Did someone hack into the site? I must admit to being quite annoyed to find my avatar changed without my knowledge or consent.
LordBilbanes.png
Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

Comments

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Doesn't seem hacked, but people seem to have had their avatars set to some sort of default one. Maybe some forum update accidentially caused this.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe not, seeing as the image was actually linked from imageshack. Bah, #Care.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Looks like a hack to me - considering *what* the avatars changed to.

Which means that Adriaan has truly written the most epic review in the history of the entire site.

*EDIT*: Joke's on them - I was planning on changing my avatar anyway. So now I have an excuse. Sorry cute running Aigis, you are retired.

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to know myself. Our forum software does suck, so I wouldn't put it past a hacker, though I seriously doubt it was.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited March 2009
    *EDIT*: Joke's on them - I was planning on changing my avatar anyway. So now I have an excuse. Sorry cute running Aigis, you are retired.
    Yay Ragnarok avatar.

Also, no idea what's happened. This wasn't run by the moderation group so we're just as much in the dark.

I would recommend people change their passwords just in case it was a hack attempt.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited March 2009
    Well, it's Aika from Skies of Arcadia as a Ragnarok avatar. Two refs for the price of one!
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited March 2009
    I liked my Skies of Arcadia avatar... but it was time to grab a SRT image anyway.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited March 2009
    My guess is that someone tried to update their avatar and it somehow updated everyone's? I don't think it's worth changing passwords since it happened to everyone. That's a sweeping database change.

Still, I scour the internet to see if this has happened to anyone else running this software.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited March 2009
    My guess is that someone tried to update their avatar and it somehow updated everyone's?
    I love the smell of SQL injection in the morning... it smells like "lulz".

edited March 2009
    I liked my Skies of Arcadia avatar... but it was time to grab a SRT image anyway.
    Heh heh...I was just browing the pixel art on DA and found this. It was really a toss-up between this and a really nifty one of Gilder with his coat flapping and all. But I started noticing that when I use male or genderless avatars, the number of people that think I'm a guy skyrockets, so I thought it's be safer to pick a girl. And it's Aika, so all is well.
  • evilpaulevilpaul Special Snowflake Banned Users
    edited March 2009
    Meh, new avatar for me.

Could the huge mess of code imageshack provides have been an accidental SQL exploit?
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Probably just some wag who has a beef against the review. Oh well, my dragon is back, bustier than ever! blush.gif
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    If it was a hack, It certainly was a pretty lame one. I also have a new Avatar YAY!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I changed mine in pretty short order as well. Seriously though, like I asked in the review thread, when did Star Ocean become this important? You'd think omega took a crap all over FFXIII or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited March 2009
    True! I always thought SO was considered a niche game. Is it just because its for the 360?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Or maybe just because Square-Enix published it.
    edited March 2009
    Or maybe just because Square-Enix published it.
    Circle gets the square!

Seriously, if FFXIII turns out to be rubbish, I'm requesting that the staff gives us a headsup so we can have sudden "forum upgrade" occur the day the review goes live.

• StormofSwordsStormofSwords Crazed Bullet Miser Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Meh, weird, and slightly entertaining. I see that everyone pretty much just got the same one or a similar avatar back immediately, so no biggie. It's actually kind of refreshing...Everyone's got a new 'face' now.
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.
    edited March 2009
    I almost feel like I'm in the witness protection program and had to make a new identity!
  • SorenSoren ..not a pony.. Full Members
    edited March 2009
    *inserts super secret theme music here* ....I still have to get a new avatar. *laughs*
    Driving FB bonkers for years. Paw's Wife.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2009
    It was Professor Plum. In the billiards room. With the pepperbox revolver.
    edited March 2009
    *shaky fist as Davis so easily solves it*
  • HeeHoHeeHo Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    It's like there's a massive SO defense force now. I kinda like it. Imagine what newcomers will think!

I don't get why certain people got special treatment though =[.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2009
    Warning: The review of another Square Enix published, tri-Ace developed game is going up tomorrow! Warning! Warning!
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2009
    panic_button.jpg
    edited March 2009
    *presses it repeatedly*
    edited March 2009
    Shhh... Do you hear that?

*looks over at a glass of water*

*Water ripples*

The fanboys are raging... *Hides under some blankets*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited March 2009
    panic_button.jpg
    Hahaha. I actually have that magnet biggrin.gif

AWOOOGA AWOOOGA AWOOOGA
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm a bit due for an avatar change anyway, so I'll go with the flow tounge2.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2009
    Like with others, I was long overdue for an avatar change anyway.

Though not now, since I should be at work. tounge2.gif

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I miss my Seargent/Captain/Commander/Duke Vimes avy, but at least I get to use the one my friend made for me now.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
This discussion has been closed.