If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Battlestar Galactica Ending

JormungandJormungand MemberFull Members
edited March 2009 in Entertainment
Best finale in history to the best show in history, y/n?

Comments

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Hell no.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2009
    And I was gonna hit the say anything thread to see what you had to say Davis. Should have known brevity would be involved, care to elaborate? Personally I was pretty satisfied even if some elements were a bit predictable, maybe I was just anticipating it ending up worse then it did. Have to say I'll take Adama hurling on himself over paint throwing any day.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I was very satisfied. Every character's purpose was wrapped up quite nicely, and I didn't find anything offensively cliche.

Although the best part may have been when Tori got what was coming to her. It's funny, Tigh said exactly the same thing I said out loud to myself: "I'd of done the same thing". And the ensuing chaos, though brief, was priceless. I knew they wouldn't let the truly dysfunctional bad guy off the hook.

Anyway, this really was the best thing I've ever seen on television or film. It was a masterpiece from start to finish. It reminds me of the music for the Panzer Dragoon series: regardless of who was involved, their backgrounds, their personal traits, the project brought their disparate styles into a single, clear focus. I don't think there will be anything quite like BSG ever again... but that's not to say something even better could come along.
    edited March 2009
    I knew they wouldn't let the truly dysfunctional bad guy off the hook.
    No matter what we're all cylons, right guys? ... Guys?
    edited March 2009
    And I was gonna hit the say anything thread to see what you had to say Davis. Should have known brevity would be involved, care to elaborate?
    Even with its dying breath the show refused to step away from the chronic pessimism that stunted its development. It's a bit late in the game to complain about this, and it usually doesn't bother me, but the hokeyness and literal deus ex machina that filled the rest of the finale completely killed my tolerance for it. This show really was the victim of a writing team that didn't know what the hell to do after it became apparent the crisis of the week formula wasn't going to get the job done. When Sci-Fi rightly pulled the rug out from underneath them after a steady stream of Scars and Black Markets it became a wind sprint to wrap up all their Lostesque unplanned mystery creation and what probably should have been a season and a half of material was instead half a season.

There were good things about it. The slow burn denouement. Liberal use of flashbacks. Adama puking all over himself. A space battle for the first time in a month of Sundays. (Even if it was nonsensical and abbreviated.) Unfortunately I didn't find these things capable of overriding the larger problems I had with it.

Definitely not the best finale ever. Probably an upper tier science fiction show if I can cut out ninety-percent of its crappy filler.

edited March 2009
    Even though I'm surprised, this can only be a good thing. After all, if you found BSG to be crap, then surely you must have something better with which to compare it to. I'd love to know what that is, so I can watch it. smile.gif
    edited March 2009
    I didn't say the show was crap. I said it had lots of crappy filler episodes and was held back creatively because it was Star Trek's evil twin.

Do you want better sci-fi or can I go wide spectrum with the superior stuff?
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Man I'm lost here... What show are we talking about?
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
    edited March 2009
    Battlestar Galacica.

Davis - All valid points, I know I've seen you complain about the pacing before and I tend to agree with you although I do give things released serially like television and comics more leeway than say a novel or movie just because of the nature of the medium. The deus ex machina didn't bother me so much as usual because they laid so much groundwork for a fairly active higher power in the show, so yeah a wizard did it but at least it was a wizard we had heard of and had been participating somewhat before the finale. Really the only things bothering me after I was done watching it were what the hell is Starbuck and Cavil commiting suicide which just felt out of place. And after seeing someone at the Penny Arcade forum lay out Starbuck = Jesus as far as dying, coming back, and then finally ascending (her vanishing really bugged me), well that was a connection I hadn't made but which I found satisfying.

I guess I never answered the question either so, no not the best finale ever. I think I'll always have a special place in my heart for seeing that thuggish Seinfeild gang go to jail, but it's definitely up there in my book.
    edited March 2009
    I don't consider merely talking about something laying groundwork per se. Religion and prophecy have always been a part of the show, but the gods are absentee and the prophecies specious more than anything else. Temples and artifacts that are an inefficient form of google maps don't help the case, either. Nor does a humbled man of stature using preaching as part of a con.

The writers can say, "god has a plan for everything, that's a wrap," but if your only solid recurring evidence for this in the show were apparitions a few people saw while in various states of mental aberrance, it isn't very strong plotting. Rather it makes the "big reveal" later on down the line feel contrived and convenient. Furthermore, the god of BSG is malevolent, so simply telling us this was all just part of its plan with some smug commentary on the modern day at the end of the episode was wholly unsatisfactory.

@Jormungand - Better sci-fi finale: Life on Mars. Better mystery sci-fi: The Prisoner. Better pound-for-pound sci-fi: Babylon 5.
    edited March 2009
    I guess I feel like a vision that's shared by multiple people (the opera house) outweighs the fact that some of these people were doped up or otherwise not lucid as far as giving the vision itself some validity and even lends weight to the other weird stuff going on like the angels that they might not be delusions. Granted what the opera house turned out to be was silly. I agree that the tie in to modern day with mitochondrial eve and the dancing robots was garbage. I think I'm mostly just happy it turned out as well as it did, because after part one I was really envisioning a massive train wreck. I can't seem to do it often but I love when I have low expectations.
    edited March 2009
    Thanks Davis, I'll look into all. I actually was thinking about getting into Life on Mars when it started, and never did.

I didn't find anything particularly outrageous about the ending. My criticisms of the show are about things that have been around for a while--for example, Gaius' transformation to cult leader was entirely out of character. I guess it made sense in the end: he started this whole mess, he might as well be a part of cleaning it up.

As for the finale itself, I knew that Earth would be the final destination. What surprised me was the decision to put the story 150,000 years back in time, hence linking to Mitochondrial Eve and the ancient indigenous peoples of Africa. The sudden switch to the modern day was a bit tacky, but I don't think it was meant to say "oh no, these humanoid robots will eventually destroy us all just like on BSG!". It was just a way to say, hey, those robots who look and behave like humans on the show aren't that far away from reality, really". Ron Moore made the point of the series pretty clear, and said it himself in the special: "This has all happened before, and it will happen again." Of course, the thrust of the finale was about breaking this cycle, thus "This has all happened before... but does it have to happen again?" Perhaps cliche, but a fitting message to arise out of any piece of fiction being produced in the present day. It's a common theme even in some of the games we play (Xenosaga, anyone?).

Anyway, this is my favorite show of all time. I have yet to see anything better, although I'll take up those suggestions Davis. I was satisfied thoroughly by the writing, acting, and overall storytelling. I'll definitely be following Caprica, although I doubt it will achieve BSG's level of mythos.
    edited March 2009
    I'm excited for Caprica but we all know it's going to last a season, tops. ;_;

As a fan of Gaius' character the last season's journey for him was pretty irritating. I don't mind him ending as the thing he hated most (a farmer)... it's the least justice can do to a man that caused so much suffering. But the wacko cult leader con man thing was just bleh.

I'm not sure if you're in the U.S. Jormu (sorry for not remembering) but if you are you can watch The Prisoner here and the first two seasons of Babylon 5 here legally and free.
    edited March 2009
    I am indeed, and will be taking advantage of these. Hopefully both stay up long enough for me to watch!
    edited March 2009
    It's not a real great show, but in three hours Kings has done a better job of laying the groundwork for a "god did it!" explanation than BSG ever did.

Though in all fairness Kings is basically a not-so-subtle remake of portions of the Book of Samuel so it's not entirely a fair fight.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I was very satisfied. Every character's purpose was wrapped up quite nicely, and I didn't find anything offensively cliche.

Although the best part may have been when Tori got what was coming to her. It's funny, Tigh said exactly the same thing I said out loud to myself: "I'd of done the same thing". And the ensuing chaos, though brief, was priceless. I knew they wouldn't let the truly dysfunctional bad guy off the hook.

Anyway, this really was the best thing I've ever seen on television or film. It was a masterpiece from start to finish. It reminds me of the music for the Panzer Dragoon series: regardless of who was involved, their backgrounds, their personal traits, the project brought their disparate styles into a single, clear focus. I don't think there will be anything quite like BSG ever again... but that's not to say something even better could come along.
    You triggered a pet peeve of mine here. It is "I'd've done the same thing." It isn't "I'd of". 've is an abbreviation of have, so writing of even though it sounds the same is wrong.

In any case, the female dog got exactly what she deserved.

I found the ending satisfying myself. My main complaint about the ending would be that we never found out what happened to the mechanical Cylons. I also would have liked a more thorough explanation of what exactly Head Baltar and Head Six were.

P.S. I can't write the word I wanted to use for Tory. ;_;
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited March 2009
    You triggered a pet peeve of mine here. It is "I'd've done the same thing." It isn't "I'd of". 've is an abbreviation of have, so writing of even though it sounds the same is wrong.

In any case, the female dog got exactly what she deserved.

I found the ending satisfying myself. My main complaint about the ending would be that we never found out what happened to the mechanical Cylons. I also would have liked a more thorough explanation of what exactly Head Baltar and Head Six were.

P.S. I can't write the word I wanted to use for Tory. ;_;
    I was trying to quote Tigh exactly. wink.gif

And yeah, the other cylons will probably come back and waste everyone. But as for the Baltar and Six apparitions... aren't they simply... ALL OF US?!!

...that came out less diabolical than I had planned.
    edited March 2009
    After two episodes of The Prisoner, I'm already intrigued. This is good stuff.

Also, Davis, which Life On Mars were you referring to? The newer NA series on ABC, or the original British version?
    edited March 2009
    The BBC one. The ABC one hasn't finished it's one (and only cry.gif) season.

Glad you like The Prisoner thus far. I'm pretty sure the numbers-as-names for the Cylons in BSG are a reference to the show.