If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden Tierkreis

MuneTeikaMuneTeika MemberFull Members
edited May 2009 in Role Playing Games
Is anybody else playing this? This game is hilariously awesome.

I honestly though that it would only bring shame to the series but it is actually quite good so far.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Explain why it's so awesome, why doncha. I'm still on the fence, and my hindquarters are beginning to ache. I'd like very much to get off of it. laugh.gif
  • MuneTeikaMuneTeika Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Well the humour in it kind of brought me back to the Lunar days, even some of the sound effects are somewhat Lunarish. Even within the first few minutes I was laughing at the dialogue, in a good way mind you. The battle is pretty standard fare actually for Suikoden games, I only have 4 characters so far but there does appear to be 6 slots. I also heard somebody say that there was no main map to travel on, but there is so you still get to travel on a map. Okay well that's a half truth, you get to travel on a map within a larger map which you choose areas from, but there is still an overworld map before a dungeon map, I guess.

Everything is fairly detailed for a DS game, the music/sound is good and the voice acting is actually really above par in my opinion. It actually blew my expectations away. Just about the only thing that bugs me I guess is the 3D character models in a primarily 2D world, it really should have been all 2D but it still works fairly well.

I don't have too much to say at the moment, but I'll let people know the further I get.

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    I'm interested to hear whether the story is any good.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited March 2009
    So far I'm pretty into the story, moreso than I have for any games in... well, years I guess. It really brings me back to the golden age of RPGs, it's kind of weird and unexpected.

I can't say too much about the story overall though, since I'm not actually all that far into it.

I don't generally reference exisiting reviews, but this is how I feel so far.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/review/R132882.html

edited March 2009
    Sounds sweet, how are towns? I heared that they could only be navigated via menus, how does that work?
    edited March 2009
    Of all the games I've played with menu based towns, it seems to be the most natural. It doesn't feel like it's stunting you from any part of the gameplay because the story naturally progresses into each of the necessary parts of town. It's pretty convenient actually because it doesn't tie you down with a lot of unnecessary travel time. Which is odd, because prior to this I've generally hated menu based towns, I've always found it restrictive.

Anyway, the story is only getting better as I go along, it also brings a fair bit of fresh ideas to the table storywise that make it refreshing. Still, it's one of the few games where I've enjoyed the characters from the moment they opened their mouths, I really can't believe I was going to skip this game over because of my impressions based on what we had heard throughout the months. If as many people said pass as I did without giving it a second thought, it'll be a sleeper hit, even compared to Suikoden standards.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best new game I've played in ages. I can't put it down.

• JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Haven't played the game, doubt I ever will. But I did order the soundtracks. The music is excellent, and I'm willing to call this one of the best produced DS soundtracks ever. Certainly it's the longest DS soundtrack ever: 5 discs worth of original music, plus an extra disc of arrangements. For a handheld, that's insane. How could there possibly be enough game to fit all that music?!
    edited March 2009
    I must buy this game, it's been vey hard to find in OZ, I might have to import.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Does it "feel" like Suikoden story wise? I'm willing to take the absence of True Runes if the usual themes are there.
    edited March 2009
    Yay Shin Tokyo has copies, I'll be picking this up either tomorrow or Monday.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    Does it "feel" like Suikoden story wise? I'm willing to take the absence of True Runes if the usual themes are there.
    Indeed i'm curious about this myself!
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited March 2009
    I still get this air of Lunar and Suikoden, together at last. It's not a bad thing, but I think it might be the sound and characters that give it that feel, though arguably I haven't seen any truely tongue in cheek humour the way the Lunar had it. Overall it feels more Suikoden than Lunar though, the music is there, the large amount of characters... All of the bits and peices are there, and although there aren't True Runes, there are Star Signs, which are almost exactly like runes, except that you can't get peices to give to various people. Forging is gone, which is kind of sad but isn't a bad thing either. Trading is still present and most of your money relies on your ability to do trading it seems.

The battles are the same but yeah, there are only 4 characters in battle, just 6 spaces in which to put them. I haven't had any large scale battles but people have said they are there.

Remember that it's Suikoden set in an alternate reality and the story really plays heavily on that. So I tend to think of it as Suikdoen from a different angle. Yeah, it's all new people but for once it doesn't seem to be a bad thing.

I still can't say much about the story as I've only been playing for 5 hours, but the fact that I played that game for 5 hours straight is evidence in itself that the story is pretty gripping. Even when I had to goto bed I had to force myself to put it down and goto bed. It was said to be mission based, it kind of is, but it still has a natural progression into a deep story. It's really a basic RPG with missions tacked on for added value?

edited March 2009
    Well I'm definitely getting this tommorrow. this slounds awesome.
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited March 2009
    This game is highly recommended. So far I'm about 8 hours in, have my castle/fort and everything is proceeding in a very Suikoden-like fashion. To be honest, this is the best Suikoden game since II for me.

The story, while light-hearted, still has shades of the traditional Suikoden betrayals and war drama. Also, while light-hearted, the story hasn't bored me to tears like most light-hearted rpgs tend to do. I find these characters 100x more immediately engaging than the ones in V, which many Suikoden fans love, bewilderingly. Everything is still blatantly good v. evil, and it's blindingly obvious who's who, but that's standard fare for Suikoden.

Graphics are well done; it's like playing a more polished FFVII at points. Towns are menu-based, but as MuneTeika pointed out, it feels very natural and doesn't bother me like I thought it would. The character models are a little "squat" for my liking, and I'd probably still prefer a 2-D sprite-based hand drawn Suikoden, but this is still very good. Lovely anime cutscenes and character portraits abound.

The music is just outstanding. It sounds great coming out of a pair of nice headphones. Sound effects are also very well done.

Battles are, well, they're the only drawback so far. They're boring. So far the rune spells- sorry, the "marks of the stars" are unexciting and unnecessary when I can just spam the "everyone attack" button and wipe out my enemies in two turns. Again, standard Suikoden.

Another point of contention- travel on the world map is now "day and season based", I assume in an effort to add the possibility of season based enemies and dungeon appearance. Like during the "summer" phase enemies might be stronger or something. This is a good idea, but so far all it's done is make me worry if I'm missing out on a character by spending too much time exploring, Clive from Suikoden II style.

Still, get this game.
    thanks for reading
  • KainchildKainchild Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    The story is set in an alternate reality. Umm so basically this isn't a Suikoden period. This begs the question, is Konami giving up on the original series? They should at least give us the Harmonia end of story game with a Suikoden 6. Personally I would hate the series to end. It's one of my favorite RPG games.
    Faustus: \"History is written by the winners, Kain!\"
  • MiyosakaMiyosaka Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    My enthusiasm for this game has significantly died down since I finished it about a week ago. I'll probably never play it again.
    thanks for reading
  • EleoreEleore New Member Full Members
    edited May 2009
    I'm loving this game, but I would agree that other than having 108 stars it is very different from the Suikoden games I've played. The Lunar comparison sounds quite right to me.

People looking for another Suikoden might not like it, but putting that aside I think it's a pretty solid game with one of the most interesting stories I have seen in a while. And the OST... let's just say that amazing is an understatement~.

@Kainchild: I'm with you; they just can't leave the Harmonia business (and so many other loose ends!) like that!! I think they will still work on the "main" series, but they are probably trying to "pull a Tales of" and make spin offs and etc. Not that I'm complaining xD.