If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

What happened to the custom titles?

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited April 2009 in Site & Forum Support
I just noticed this a few minutes ago, but it looks like everyone's custom title got set to UNREGISTERED. Did we get hacked again?

EDIT: Oh yea, we *definitely* got hacked or something. Everyone's profile had the name changed to Chris, the gender set to male, the location set to Scotland, and the signature set to a blog link. The heck?

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited April 2009
    what was the blog link?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
    edited April 2009
    oh hey there it is >_>
  • neistneist Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    I just noticed this a few minutes ago, but it looks like everyone's custom title got set to UNREGISTERED. Did we get hacked again?

EDIT: Oh yea, we *definitely* got hacked or something. Everyone's profile had the name changed to Chris, the gender set to male, the location set to Scotland, and the signature set to a blog link. The heck?
    If you actually visit the site, its a guy from Scotland by the name of Chris.

... It doesn't look too well on Chris at this moment.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Everybody's website was also removed, apparently.... not sure about the other information.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Time to look for new software. sad.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited April 2009

If you actually visit the site, its a guy from Scotland by the name of Chris.

... It doesn't look too well on Chris at this moment.
    *shakes her fist* Curse you Chris from Scotland!
    edited April 2009
    Hmmm.... sabin001 with a mix of Lusi rock.gif

MY MIND'S EYE! IT BURNS!

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Time to look for new software. sad.gif
    I would suggest going with commercial software like vBulletin or Invision Power Board.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2009
    vBulletin plz
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2009
    We've had something selected for some time now, we were waiting for a few things to come together in the background. This just reinforces our decision wink.gif
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited April 2009
    *squishes the hackers*
  • Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited April 2009
    It'd be vbulletin.
    179811.png
    edited April 2009
    It'd be vbulletin.
    SWEET

*SQUEEING*
    edited April 2009
    Good. Hopefully you'll be able to migrate the members list.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited April 2009
    It'd be vbulletin.
    eff yesssssssssssss
    edited April 2009
    It'd be vbulletin.
    eff yesssssssssssss
    Not sure why you're so happy, but the thought of handing out red and yellow cards like a football ref makes me happy biggrin.gif

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2009
    I think this is actually evidence that this and the last thing weren't hackers but a bug in the board code. The last one had a kind of ridiculous irony to it that made it seem like it was a hack, but this one is just pointless. The guy's blog is pretty normal and definitely not a hacker's blog. My guess? Chris from Scotland created a new account and this awful board software changed everyone's settings to his for some reason.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Well, this is annoying...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited April 2009
    I think this is actually evidence that this and the last thing weren't hackers but a bug in the board code. The last one had a kind of ridiculous irony to it that made it seem like it was a hack, but this one is just pointless. The guy's blog is pretty normal and definitely not a hacker's blog. My guess? Chris from Scotland created a new account and this awful board software changed everyone's settings to his for some reason.
    Actually they've had a board account for at least a year it seems.

EDIT: Bug isn't completely out of the question, the last version of ikonboard was released nearly 3 years ago so yeah...

edited April 2009
    It'd be vbulletin.
    eff yesssssssssssss
    Not sure why you're so happy, but the thought of handing out red and yellow cards like a football ref makes me happy biggrin.gif
    It is excellent board software. If Davis has used it, I can understand his pleased reaction. My favorite message boards all use vBulletin as their board software and frankly, I can see why it is so popular.

For one thing, they have far better smilies than the atrocious set provided by this software. From what I understand, from a moderation and administration perspective, they are very easy to use in that regard as well.

There is one thing I would suggest, though. If you want good smilies to go with the new board software, I would suggest commissioning something from an artist over at Deviant Art. The site has quite a number of pixel artists who make smilies and some of the work they produce far outstrips in quality the default smilies of nearly all message board software.

The administrators of the this board have used smilies from that site and I think if you contacted one of the administrators there, they could probably recommend an artist willing to assist you if you decided to commission smilies for the new board. If you do take up my suggestion, contact livius drusus over at the link mentioned above as she is the one who maintains the collection of smilies on that board.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited April 2009
    I just noticed this... Got to go and change my settings again *Sigh*
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    But I LIKE being registered for almost 7 years and having member number 99. 99! How cool is that! It's TWO 9s. I like nines.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • berserkberserk Member Full Members
    edited April 2009
    Whoa...I dont understand how this happened. I changed my sig the other day to put a link for my blog in it, I dont see how something like this would happen. I wont change my profile again, sorry people...I feel bad even though I didnt mean to do this.... ><
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2009
    Whoa...I dont understand how this happened. I changed my sig the other day to put a link for my blog in it, I dont see how something like this would happen. I wont change my profile again, sorry people...I feel bad even though I didnt mean to do this.... ><
    Not your fault, its crappy software to blame.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2009
    On the bright side, if you added the blog link to get more hits, you most certainly succeeded.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited April 2009
    It was YOU! BURN HIM!

Kidding. The problem is being fixed, it's not your fault.
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I put it up there to get some more attention to my blog but I feel bad now...

I feel bad for the people who lost sigs...did it actually replace people's entirely?
    edited April 2009
    Yep. And ironically, it's not in yours. How weird is that?
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited April 2009
    Unintentional hacking, a proud feature of ikonForums since 2009.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited April 2009
    Ah it was, but I thought it might be causing problems so I took it out. When I clicked on update sig, the forum said I wasnt signed in and I didnt have privileges to change the sig, so I left it. Then when I signed in today, I found it was there and in other people's sigs..I got freaked out by that and removed it. I'm not a hacker though, I dont see the point in hacking and really dont like hackers