If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy Origins Announced

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Jan. 11 2003,01:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Seriously, you're missing the point entirely, and there've been no flames in this thread at all. ?It's just funny that you said you hate DW1&2 GBC for being on one disc.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nope what I said was "I hate having to choose which game I want from the start up screen. That's why I hated the GBC remakes of DWI&II so much."

I never said anything about a GBC disc. Does it make sense to you now?
  • Options
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Viper @ Jan. 10 2003,23:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on these boards.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sounds like a cheap flame to me.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I never said he should leave. I was just responding to his comment about disliking the DWI+II remake because it was on one disc. He saw it as some fanboy flaming him. And, I may have taken your post a different way then you intended.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    You hated the remakes because they were on the same cartridge? How does that have any effect on the games in question?
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wow, everyone else on the entire Internet hates these boards? Guess we've been doing our job, eh Brian?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'll mark it down as another success. What should our next project be?
  • WildDracWildDrac Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on these boards.

Sounds like a cheap flame to me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That doesn't really sound like a cheap flame. It sounds like he gave his opinion on what you said, something that, the last I checked, we here in America could do (you never know though, what with the new "anti-terrorism" laws and the retarded war effort, it might not be true anymore). Anyway, the last I recall, a flame was defined as a personal attack on the author of a post, not an opinionated response to what that person stated within his post.
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    In America, you can blab all you want about the country and goverment freely....On Internet message boards, you're freedom of speech is limited to the rules and opinions of administrators and other users. Why? because they're privately owned and operated.

God I hate that stupid "freedom of speech" thing I always see preached on message boards............
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    If you'd like to blab about government and country, by all means, do so. It's not especially relevant to this particular topic, but far be it for me to deny you your inalienable rights to sound off intelligently (or otherwise, such as the case may be) about any old thing. Just remember freedom of speech goes two ways: if you sound like a frigging idiot, it's our freedom to tell you why.

Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • RPGroundsRPGrounds Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I'd rather have the game on two discs as well, but I'm not going to cry about it and not buy the game all together. I'd simply want it on two discs because on my CD holder, I have more two disc holders than one disc.

But anyway, back on topic, I think Squaresoft made a good decision bringing these two remakes to America, considering probably 90% of Americans have never played Final Fantasy 2 LEGALLY and Final Fantasy 1 has a horrible save battery on almost every cartridge in America.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It sounds like he gave his opinion on what you said, something that, the last I checked, we here in America could do (you never know though, what with the new "anti-terrorism" laws and the retarded war effort, it might not be true anymore).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Why do you have to go and flame the war effort like that?

Ahh, reusable jokes.
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    YEA!!!!! I can't wait. I've wanted to play FF2 for the longest time.
  • SirLuciusSirLucius Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dark messiah @ Jan. 11 2003,01:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on these boards.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    Sounds like a cheap flame to me.[/quote]
    Sounds pretty accurate to me. ?You said something dumb, he called you on it. ?:shrug:
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I played all the games after FFIV, so it will be great to return to my roots where I started RPGs with the games that were released before FFIV. I love the CG screens make it a sweet release to look out for. A great addition to the Final Fantasy library on disc!
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    biggrin.gif

I wonder about when we'll see more old school RPG's.....?

Anyone got any good ideas for remakes of old games?

FF Tactics 2..... Bahamut Lagoon..... Dragon Warrior 5 and 6.... Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 collection(... for a major system like PS2 or Gamecube...)

Anyone else?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" GO BUCS!!!!!! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
  • Options
    edited January 2003
    You know, I've always been a huge FInal Fantasy fan, and I'm not going to miss the remakes for the world.

I started playing the first Final Fantasy when I was 5, and I've been hooked ever since.

Still, my favorite RPG of all time, and the one I wish they would make a sequel to is: Earthbound

Earthbound was the coolest RPG ever!

Don't you guys agree?
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I've always been a fan of the original Final Fantasy, and I hear that the growth system in FFIIj will be fixed up in Origins, so it may actually be worth playing... but what I really want is FFIIIj. Give me FFIIIj, Square! Give it to me! tounge.gif
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited January 2003
    I agree with you whole-heartedly Desh. These two are great(no more will I have to play FF1 on the emu because Geoff will KILL me if I touch the family copy or feel guilty when playin' FF2j) but...

I keep wondering what's up with the FF3j GBA remake. C'mon Square! I'd like to be able to play that one! Finish it and let us have it!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • AraesAraes Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Response to TrueGamer back on page 1 before the squabble.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So, since I don't know a bloody thing about any FF before 4, can somebody tell me if it's really worth playing? I'd like to play it just so I can see what the first FF's were like, but that's it. Considering what else is coming out over the year, I'm not sure if I should buy it; can you all lend a hand?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

As far as time goes, I really don't think that these will be that much of a worry. ?FF1 is, on the order of some of today's games, rather short. ?It is composed of basically six major quests that although varying, shouldn't take you more than 4-5 hours a piece to complete.

FFII is a little bit longer and more even in the quest lengths, which are once again divided into six pieces. ?If I remember right, and its been a while, the whole game took me something like 30-40 and I tend to fight a decent amount.

In regards to fun...FFI is a stark change from modern gaming. ?Not to say its unfun, just different. ?The plot is minor, the dungeon crawls are a major component, and the fighting system is basically characters running forward, making motions with their hands, and monsters taking damage. ?They may have spiced it up however.

FFII was somewhat different. ?It was basically like FFI in regards to the battle system, but it had a plot. ?From what I recollect, the leveling in FFII was kind of like Saga Frontier's, but without the randomness that drove you crazy. ?It basically used a system where you did actions a bunch and got stats for it. ?Its been a long time, but looking on GameFaqs it seems basically like I remembered it.

Far as the FMV's go, I don't think I would purchase them based solely on this due to the quality which was displayed during the playstation remake FF's. ?However, opinions may differ here.

Really is a shame FFIII hasn't been released yet as it was quite enjoyable and the true bridge into modern FF gaming. ?It was the first with a class system (which was very complex), it was the first with summoners/espers, and it even had the equivalent of an Imp (FF6).

Anyhow, hope that helps you choose.

edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araes @ Jan. 22 2003,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[snip]

FFII is a little bit longer and more even in the quest lengths, which are once again divided into six pieces. ?If I remember right, and its been a while, the whole game took me something like 30-40 and I tend to fight a decent amount.

[snip]

FFII was somewhat different. ?It was basically like FFI in regards to the battle system, but it had a plot. ?From what I recollect, the leveling in FFII was kind of like Saga Frontier's, but without the randomness that drove you crazy. ?It basically used a system where you did actions a bunch and got stats for it. ?Its been a long time, but looking on GameFaqs it seems basically like I remembered it.

Far as the FMV's go, I don't think I would purchase them based solely on this due to the quality which was displayed during the playstation remake FF's. ?However, opinions may differ here.

Really is a shame FFIII hasn't been released yet as it was quite enjoyable and the true bridge into modern FF gaming. ?It was the first with a class system (which was very complex), it was the first with summoners/espers, and it even had the equivalent of an Imp (FF6).

Anyhow, hope that helps you choose.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would agree with your explanation of FFIIj, but I'd like to add a bit. FFIIj did indeed have a plot, including plot twists, which, considering the time frame, were quite novel. The plot itself would be much more interesting if the growth system had been balanced with it. Not only was growth excruciatingly slow, but stats could also be LOWERED if you didn't battle just right. It is the growth system that really brought the NES version of this game down, but I wouldn't be surprised if Square has fixed it up some to make it fit better. If that is the case, I would definitely recommend it.

As for FFIIIj, I definitely recommend playing it should it ever come out in America. Once you do, you'll understand why I think that FFIV - and especially FFV - were effectively copycats... but that's a whole 'nother thread biggrin.gif

I do believe that Final Fantasy Origins will be worth getting, and when FFIII is finally released in America, it will be even more so.
  • AraesAraes Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I agree with you on the plot aspects of FF2. For its time the plot hooks were quite novel and original. They may not come off that way to today's audience, however, in their time they were unique.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The plot itself would be much more interesting if the growth system had been balanced with it. Not only was growth excruciatingly slow, but stats could also be LOWERED if you didn't battle just right. It is the growth system that really brought the NES version of this game down, but I wouldn't be surprised if Square has fixed it up some to make it fit better. If that is the case, I would definitely recommend it.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't actually agree that the progression was this bad. There were a number of tricks you could use to level faster than straight fighting. However, if they "fix" this they may actually make it worse by taking out some of the bugs. Kind of like MVC2.
    edited January 2003
    Why yes, there were a number of tricks to instantly uberize your characters... but they ruined the pacing even more, and eliminated most of the challenge that was in there. We'll just have to wait and see what they do with the growth system.

*dies of suspense*
  • RobRob Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    As far as I'm concerned, Square's batting .000 with their remakes. Anthology and Chronicles both had horribly sluggish controls, bad enough to make me want to Ebay the SNES cartridge instead. Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy Origins when it comes out ... as I've done with every Final Fantasy game since the SNES era ... but it'll be spending a lot of time on the shelf collecting dust once I finish checking out FF2.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I've played about half of the Wonderswan Color remake of Final Fantasy I, and can definitively say that it is not a half-assed emulation job like Final Fantasy Chronicles and Anthology. The fact that Square's taking those remakes and adding additional play modes for the PSX version, to me, says something about the probable quality of Final Fantasy Origins.