If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Trouble for Square and Enix

AletheaAlethea MemberFull Members
edited January 2003 in Latest Updates
And I thought the fans were the only ones griping...

Looks like it's up to the shareholders to make or break this merger...as it is in the business world. Any thoughts?

Comments

• KhisanthKhisanth Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I find this situation humerous in a way. Last I heard squaresoft was still in the red financially because they never recovered from the final fantasy movie. From my point of view it looks like this guy would rather be in control of a company on the verge of bankrupcy(a bit of an exageration I know) then have less control of a financially stable company. It really doesn't make sense...course then again, the business world never has made sense, especially in Japan.
  • Options
    edited January 2003
    I'm not particulary affected by the report. As far as RPGs are concerned, I think both Square and Enix are doing swell jobs - past and present - and will remain successful at the rate their going by regardless if the merger does not pull through. I understand that the merger may push the quality of future games and current franchises, but on the other hand it may just be more of the same as if the partnership hadn't been planned in the first place. My thoughts? How about they flip a coin . . .
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I think big things could come out of Square-Enix's merge. Now both of the series (FF and DW) can share souces and elements of design, making it the best of both worlds. In fact, the only thing I'm worried about is FF going to X-Box. (Shudder) But hopefully, that won't be happening, as Sony has a large share in Square.
  • Choco573Choco573 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Well, if they do merge, then hurray! If not, oh well, everything will be how it was.
  • Liquid IceLiquid Ice Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    This sux/rulls. It goes two ways. If they merge the games could be much better or stay the same.if they dont, well get the same tried and true method and end up wit great games.
  • djgoku76djgoku76 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    confused.gif This concerns me..... I really hope that they allow the merger to happen..... Who knows what potential that there is in a mega merger of two to the greatest video game companies, Square/Squaresoft and Enix..... I have grown up playing all games from both companies.....

sad.gif Final Fantasy, Chrono series, Ogre Battle, Dragon Warrior, Mana series..... These are the games that defined what RPG gaming is all about..... I just really hope they compromise and allow the great merger to happen.....
  • yazarc420yazarc420 Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    It doesn't matter to me either way actually. If they do, cool! But on the other side, I like to see competition. I don't think games would be even 1/100 as good if the companies didn't constantly compete with each other. It keeps the pressure on developers to keep their ideas fresh and the gamer usually ends up the winner with the final result.

There would probably be only Dragon Quest if it weren't for rivalry and someone else didn't want a piece of the pie too. wink.gif
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I think it will be great if this merger does happen, but if not, I may prefer things that way. I have never enjoyed Enix games; I find them generally.. boring. I'm a sucker for a good story; maybe I just couldn't get into Valkyrie Profile but aside from that, the plots and dialogues were lacking in about every Enix game I played. Squaresoft on the other hand, has let me down several times, but for every let down there are 3 masterpieces, and you have to give them credit for innovation and not being afraid to branch out.
  • Ruin's FateRuin's Fate Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    They should just hire the old coot a hooker and solve all our problems.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But on the other side, I like to see competition. I don't think games would be even 1/100 as good if the companies didn't constantly compete with each other[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Err... Namco, Capcom, Konami, Atlus, From, Sega, Camelot...and that's just in Japan. I think there's still plenty of competition around, merger or no.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • seancdaugseancdaug Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I don't think this is really a very fair representation of the argument presented by Miyamoto....

The point he brings up, which I think is a fair one, is that Square will wind up worse off following the merger than Enix, with 81 shares of Square stock being sold for every 100 shares of Enix stock. This is a fair economic estimation of the value of both companies, but that still doesn't mean that it's in Square's best interests. He goes on to indicate that the production costs for the two companies mean that Square gets hit even harder than is immediately obvious.

Enix's has largely operated as a publisher, and outsources much of its development to other companies (tri-Ace for the Star Ocean series, Armor Project for the Dragon Quest games, etc...). This is generally cheaper than maintaining an in-house development crew, but Square's basic business model has been built on its development division. Miyamoto points out that Square would likely be completely overshadowed by Enix should the merger go through, and would not be able to keep up the release schedule it has previously maintained. As one of the largest stockholders in the company, his interest is more than simply wanting to get a better deal for himself, but for the long-term viability of Square as an entity within the new hierarchy of Square Enix.

Square may still be coming back after the fiasco that was the FF movie, but there's no indication that they're anywhere near bankruptcy, and from what I've gathered, they've been done reasonably well recently. I kind of worried about the merger when I first heard of it for many of the same ways listed above, and I think I understand why some people in Square are nervous about it, as well.
  • Ruin&amp;#39;s FateRuin&amp;#39;s Fate Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    What I don't understand is you loose a 100 million or so on the movie, yet FFX makes a crapload of money (as do the other games). Shouldn't Square be doin' might dandy. If anyone could link me to a good article on Square's financial situation I'd be much obliged.
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In fact, the only thing I'm worried about is FF going to X-Box. (Shudder)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Never happen.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Quote
    But on the other side, I like to see competition. I don't think games would be even 1/100 as good if the companies didn't constantly compete with each other

Err... Namco, Capcom, Konami, Atlus, From, Sega, Camelot...and that's just in Japan. I think there's still plenty of competition around, merger or no.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Aside from Konami and Atlus, those aren't really the best examples for competitors (maybe Capcom-they have been trying harder lately) . All my favourite rpgs and series come from developers under Square's and Enix's wings. Personally, I'm a little afraid to see what lack of competition will do...
    Anyone who has ever played Romance of the Three Kingdoms may also fear the prospect of developers being shifted around (not the developer groups, but individuals) .

Either way, this is fairly disturbing news. And no, apparently Square has finally come out of their debt from the movie, but just barely. Source: The Globe and Mail
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Aside from Konami and Atlus, those aren't really the best examples for competitors (maybe Capcom-they have been trying harder lately)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Why not? Just because you don't like their games? You don't seem to have given any other reason here, and I'd argue Namco (setting aside its cahootage with Square for the time being) is a pretty serious player in the RPG market. At any rate, whether you enjoy their games or not, the companies I listed there are, besides Square, the other prolific names in the RPG world currently (anything I left out, such as tri-Ace, was because of close ties to either Enix or Square).

Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
    edited January 2003
    I guess people either missed my point or I didn't make it clearly enough...It was just an observation of how a merger can be bad. I didn't say I was afraid that the games were gonna suck did I?

I was just noting that some really good things have come as a result (whether direct or indirect) of the rivalry between Square and Enix. Great things can come as a result between the two of them working together as well. smile.gif
  • Ruin&amp;#39;s FateRuin&amp;#39;s Fate Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Final Ocean Quest Densetsu XII-2 anyone?
  • Lao TseLao Tse Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    God help us all.
    edited January 2003
    I was hoping for Bust-A-Crono XTreme or 7th SaGa Frontier myself
  • kaserdankaserdan Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    *ROFL* laugh.gif
  • ShadowmaneShadowmane New Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Choco573 @ Jan. 11 2003,15:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, if they do merge, then hurray! If not, oh well, everything will be how it was.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree with Choco573. If they merge, good. If they don't we haven't lost anything.
  • ShadowmaneShadowmane New Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Here an update about the merger from Gamestop
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2908785,00.html
    It seem that new terms have been met, Check it out. biggrin.gif
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Gamespot says the two have made up their differences so the merger shall continue as planned now.

Rats! Someone beat to it!

• AlexAlex Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    The news of the ratio alteration was also in this week's Japandemonium. Ratio changed, Miyamoto happy, all systems go.