If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

UnpetitmaxUnpetitmax MemberFull Members
edited July 2009 in Staff Review Blogs
Introduction

I’ve been waiting for this game to come out for a long time. My interest in it suffered ups and downs during the last couple months, but now that I have started playing, I can hardly put it back. This should be no surprise for anyone who has read my impression back in November. I think my opinion hasn’t changed much since then, and I’m really enjoying it. I liked the introduction a lot, and the 2D imagery there was beautiful. I hope there's more of that later in the game. Let’s now start our adventure in Bel Lenora with our protagonist, Kairu.

June 30

As soon as you get control of the game, a rather large castle is open to exploration, and some funny scenes and dialogue set the mood.
Once I was set on my first mission, I noticed the painful encounter rate. Don’t expect to travel between two locations with just a fight or two – you’ll be fighting a lot. At least the battles aren’t too long, although one-character fights are not so exciting. I tried to run away from battles, but I can’t find how.

July 1st

I played a lot since the other day, and met with my second, third and fourth characters. Except for Aurora, they didn’t stay with me for a long time, and as one left, another one would join. I noticed they all have very different personalities and agenda, and I feel the character development will be quite interesting. Time will tell.
The fights are getting more exciting with a three members party, but they are also longer. A larger party also means less room to walk and attack, and the characters often get in each other's way, which gets frustrating, seeing how small the fighting maps are. I still cannot find how to run away from encounters, and the manual didn’t help me in my search. Regarding battles, I would have this to say to players starting the game: make sure to stock enough healing items and don’t be afraid to use your spells and abilities.

July 3

My exile progresses well, and I have now accumulated 10 hours of gameplay. Even though I now know how to flee from battles, I try to use it as rarely as possible. I faced the no-magic dungeon that way, and it was, I’m sad to admit, painful. Let’s just say this: when you reach the Tradefair town, buy an insane amount of healing items. You will need them.
I have acquired my first means of transportation. It’s a ship that can travel shallow waters.

July 4

Okay, so I lost my boat to pirates, but it's not important, because I've been given another one a few hours later. The story, although simple, keeps me interested in going forward. I like the battle system, but some encounters can get very frustrating.
I must say the visuals are pretty impressive in this game; almost every town and dungeon has a different look, and the detailed backgrounds and characters are well done. It's too bad for the world map, because it doesn't do justice to the rest. The animation is all right. I like the portraits on the dialogue windows; they help convey the emotion, tone and character of the dialogues, and this is a good touch considering the lack of cinematics and resolution of the sprites.

July 7

There's one thing in this game that's really lacking: save points. That, or I'm not going through the good rooms in the dungeons. The first puzzle I encountered reminded me how few of those there are in the game. Once again, you'll be fighting your way out of most situation. I also noticed that barrels, pots and boxes often hold items, so it's very well worth your time to check them, as you can find weapons, accessories in addition to regular healing items.
I got my second vehicle, an airship, and the first thing I did was, of course, exploring the whole map. I noticed some areas can only be explored with a boat, and the one I have right now doesn't look like it can travel there, so I'm expecting another one later.

July 11

The game changed a lot since last time I updated. I gained two new characters and the story progressed a lot. There is a point where the world opens up and several side quests are opened to the player. That's neat, but it means revisiting some dungeons and walking long distances, always with the same encounter rate, up to the point where you get the accessory that lowers it.
The story had some unexpected turns and twists so far, and I'm satisfied withthe game as a whole. Let's see what the game has to offer in its last hours.

July 13

All right, so I finished the game this evening. The end dungeon and boss were way too easy, but still interesting. I love when you have to form parties and explore in different groups. I was hoping I'd have to split into two or three parties to defeat the boss, but unfortunately it's a one-party fight. I get the feeling there may be multiple endings, so this is something I'll have to verify in the future.
Wait for the review pretty soon!

Comments

• UnpetitmaxUnpetitmax Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    *updated*
    edited July 2009
    *updated*
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2009
    It is a fun game, but I agree that the encounter rate can be very annoying. I am further along in the game then you. One thing I like about the game, though is that there are sidequests you can take and they aren't packed near the very end but spread out a bit.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Jkid101Jkid101 New Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Are you going to publish a Review when you are finished with the game? I am on my 3rd time through. I beat the game twice then stopped playing for a week then just got back into it yest. It has a good amount of battles but if tolerated the story is so AMAZING and worth the trouble!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Are you going to publish a Review when you are finished with the game? I am on my 3rd time through. I beat the game twice then stopped playing for a week then just got back into it yest. It has a good amount of battles but if tolerated the story is so AMAZING and worth the trouble!
    Wow, this is the very first time i've heard this. Guess some people really dig the retro storylines even today.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Wow three times through, that sounds like Mikel's personal hell.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Wow, this is the very first time i've heard this. Guess some people really dig the retro storylines even today.
    While the story is certainly a bit of a retrospective and nostalgic nod to the 8-Bit and 16-Bit era, it is well told. Also, being a Western title, you don't have the concerns that come up with localization issues. I think the game is a lot of fun and the story is certainly engaging.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    What about the frustrating elements though like encounters every two steps, the environment restricting your backrow's ability to attack and a character recieving random plot related status ailments for a large chunk of the game. This is a game I would like to try, I love the concept, the story sounds interesting and the graphics look pretty, but some of the allegedly frustrating game mechanics have me second guessing myself.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited July 2009
    Once you get the accessory that lowers the encounter rate it's not that bad, but it's quite far into the game. I like the story, too, and although it can be frustrating, the battle system is quite good in my opinion, although with the good character combination you can destroy (almost) anything in a few turns.
    I'll probably update the blog soon.
    edited July 2009
    *updated*
    edited July 2009
    *updated*
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Check out Unpetitmax's review here!
This discussion has been closed.