If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Netherworld

Comments

• KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited July 2009
    "How are you so fast?" Judy puzzled. "I guess you're not human, like the owl-man or the snake-man, but you're not an animal. What species are you?"
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited July 2009
    "I'm a demon." Nick said casually. "My specialization is speed and illusions and my national balance is Sheol." He said, unaware that any of this stuff would come off as ludicrous jibberish to anyone not from Necros.
    edited July 2009
    Judy was taken aback. "D-Demon? I hate to say this, seeing as you've saved us all, but on Earth . . . humans think demons are evil. You don't seem evil, really, but . . . are you?"
    edited July 2009
    Nick's mouth hung wide, as if he was in shock. He reached across the table to put his hand over Judy's mouth. "Never say that!" He hissed urgently. "saying that around here, especially given that you're from Earth, is like asking to be lynched!" He said this as if he had just been called the n-word and was trying to hold back his own distaste. He calmed down. "We demons are not evil.. that's actually the reason that you'll experience a lot of problems here.. You see, long ago, Our two worlds used to be connected. Almost 700 years ago for you all. One of our emperors, and one of your leaders, a....pope.. I believe... conspired for a way to hurt the face of us demons due to a long-running conflict in Necros.. so the emperor and the pope basically set out and destroyed the image of demons in your world forever.. we were branded as 'evil' and any demon caught on Earth was executed, along with anyone that would protest the popes judgment. For it was "divine". You see, the emperor back in those times was an angel and had a great amount of standing in your world. Anyways, this happened during a period your world called "the Dark Ages".. so lots of records of it are lost.. anyone that didn't think ill of demons and taught their children otherwise was killed as a heathen, and so, I suppose that emperors words have stuck even to this day.." Nick said with a touch of regret in his voice.

"I am a proud demon, and not an evil anything." Nick said. "I would advise you not say that again, it's considered slander.."

"OTHER QUESTIONS!" Nick said, as if trying to get away from the topic.
    edited July 2009
    Judy was silent, feeling terrible for horribly insulting the being that had saved her life not hours ago. "That explains why some of them would want to kill us."

• BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited July 2009
    "Yes I have one particular question." Damien said as he raised a pale hand. "Where the fu** can I get a gun because I sure as hell am not going back out there without one." The trip had done nothing to soothe Damien's temper. He was already angered at having to use his precious cyanide to help someone. The fact that he had actually been forced to fear an animal also did not serve to help his mood. "Furthermore, just where will we be staying tonight?"
    que?
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Mr. Carter was calming down from the big fight they had when in suddenly hit him. "Waitaminute!" he thought as his brow furrowed, "We just fought a giant snake creature by praying at it. How the. . ."
    "Excuse me," he said, leaning forward a little and locking his fingers, "If our worlds were connected at one point and your world still uses. . . magic, or whatever you call it, then how come our world doesn't have any magic?"
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
    edited July 2009
    "Gun?" Nick asked, looking at the doctor peculiarly. "That must be some weird invention in the human world.. we don't have anything like that here.. but you can have this..." Nick removed a stick of gum from his pocket and handed it to the doctor.

"I'll take your orders now" a waitress approached.

"Oh, yes. I'll have the usual." Nick said.

"I'll have the roast seacow..." Desoto said, unsure. He had not been paying attention, instead examining the menu this whole time. "and some decent wine."

"Oh, as for the magic." Nick said to Carter. "Your world never could use magic... nor could we use it while in your world.. we draw our powers from our guardian spirits here.. your world only had a few and none were too kindly with ours.. so magical energy has diminished in your world over time, I should think."

edited July 2009
    Damien glared at Nick as he took the piece of gum from him, a look of unbritled hatred appearing on his face. Quivering fingers glided along the sharpened scalpel in his pocket. He wasn't exactly a violent person, but he truly hated not getting what he wanted. Speaking of what he wanted, after Desoto ordered he promplty turned to the waitress. "I'll have the same. Make my drink a glass of water though." Damien had no intention of drinking during his stay in Necros. With everything trying to kill him, even the slightest bit of inebreation could mean death for him.
    que?
  • LordBlahLordBlah Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Alexander leaned forward, intent for an answer. "Something has been bothering me ever since we got here...How is it that a God may die? Hearing what you said previously about demons, is all we know about a 'God' untrue as well?"
    Don't come too close, I bite.
    edited July 2009
    "So, you haven't learned that either..." Nick said to himself. "Last we checked on your Earth, your god was a bit distant, but we thought he'd have visited at SOME point to tell you all the truth. Okay, here's the deal. A god is not some infinite immortal being with the power to alter the universe as we know it. A god is a creature with the power to create matter from nothing. They can ignore the laws of conservation and can control that which they create. However, a god cannot control that which they did not create, for example, the universe itself. Now then, gods have the option of visiting their created worlds and telling these things to the people which they rule over, which I suppose your god must not have done. In addition, Gods may die once they've reached a certain age. Your god was not murdered, he simply grew too old. Now then, when a god dies, they must leave everything they created to another god. Your god had not made any sort of will, so that is why you are here in Necros now. The gods are currently trying to determine what to do with Earth." Nick tried to make this sound as believable as possible, knowing that it might be hard for the humans to swallow.

"....What's happening to our loved ones?" Desoto asked.

"I can show them to you if you like.." Nick said.

"I'd like that." Desoto stated.

"First though, I have a few more thing I'd like to explain.." Nick said as he reached for some papers.

"What is it?" Desoto asked.

"Splicing, balance, and karma." Nick stated as he handed the papers around the table. Each one had one of the people's pictures on it along with medical info. However, there was one section that appeared on no medical chart in any Earthen nation. Karma.

"Everyone has a karma number..." Nick stated. "Between -7 and 7.. These numbers help us determine what you're really like.. so, no matter how much you all might've been hiding evil intent, I know which of you are good and which aren't."

"Okay.." Desoto began as he read his karma rating, 4. "So why does this number matter?"

"If you're going to survive here in Necros.. you're going to have to splice and play the karma game..." Nick said. "Now then, take me for example. I have a karma rating of 2. However, that number can be altered with one of these puppies." Nick removed a small creature from his pocket. The creature was blue and looked almost insect-like.

"Harvest." Nick said to the creature, which instantly lost it's bluish tinge and flew away. "My karma rating is now -3. That thing is called a karmatic.. using them can alter your karma rating in either a positive or a negative way.. and it can go far beyond -7 or 7." Nick said as he leaned back and grabbed a free mint from a nearby basket.

"So what's the point of karma?" Desoto continued asking.

"If you have karma points at a certain number, you can do a procedure known as splicing. This allows you to become a new race... one of our races.."

Desoto sat in surprise.. this was something he found inconceivable.

"You're going to have to to survive here..." Nick said.
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Ramona sat at the table, contemplating. "So, we get more and more of these karmatic creatures and we can splce ourselves until we're not even human anymore....Interesting..."
    So close...And yet so far...
    edited July 2009
    Judy was shocked by this information, but she didn't say anything, fearing she would insult Nick again.
    edited July 2009
    "Seems a bit odd to me that things would have such a definite scale." Damien said with a peculiar glance at his own karma rating. "Negative six? Da** this guy wasn't kidding when he said they already knew all about me." The good doctor folded his paper's away before the rest of his "comrades" could see, returning his attention back to Nick. "So this whole race splicing business then. Just what exactly should we look forward to? Is it a particularly painful procedure? I don't suppose you have something we could read to help us determine what we should do from here?"
    que?
    edited July 2009
    "What you should look forward to is a relatively euphoric sensation, or so I hear, followed by a moment of dizziness, or so I hear. Then, you can look at yourself, and your appearance may have changed depending on what you splice into." Nick answered Damien. "I've actually never spliced, myself." Nick finished.

"However, given that the only way you all could POSSIBLY get home is the dream king, I'd say you all have no choice but to splice for the time being. However, to do that, you'll need to each have a national balance, which is a process I can do for you."

"And that is?" Desoto asked.

"A national balance is something that everyone in Necros has as well. It aligns you with a certain one of our nations and allows you to obtain special abilities and grow more powerful when on that nation's soil, along with other conditions. There are five nations, Doppelekereft, where we're located now. Lumina, Sheol, Archimede, and Nod."

Nick then went on to explain the different effects that come with the different balances (which you can read in the topic: Continents of Necros, in the Necrotian almanac)
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Not bad, thought George as the naga-banshee fell to the combined efforts of his allies. George felt no guilt or shame for just sitting on the sidelines. Cyanide? Maybe this doc should be my friend, not the Mex. George quietly laughed to himself, and he boarded the train as soon as Desoto finished hacking the system. This Mex is good with jacking stuff. Yep, I bet he has some good crack on him. George took a seat on the sub and kicked back. After all, his nap in the community center was interrupted. Can't wait to get some damn alone-time.

George hopped off of the sub as they arrived in the new city. I seriously need to meet some of these architects; my room could use a make-over. George continued to observed the various skyscrapers as he followed Nick and the others. Is that a giant bean? thought George as he spotted their destination. George sat and looked at the menu. Not really hungry. When asked what he'd like to order, George just shot a bird at the waitress. George saw Nick throw around some files, and he saw his. -5? Makes sense. Guess I'll need to work harder. For once, George paid attention and listened to Nick's descriptions of the nations. Finally, George spoke. The soulless bastard stated, "I want Sheol. If I'm going to get hunted, I might as well hunt some humans myself."
    edited July 2009
    "All right." Nick said as he penned down George's name on a strange piece of parchment and wrote Sheol next to it.

"...don't wanna have to do too much work here..." Desoto said. "Doppelekereft...I could use the money."

"All right." Nick wrote down Desoto's name and designated balance.
    edited July 2009
    Judy wasn't surprised that her karma was somewhat high. "Uh, Lumina. Wait, are angels really evil? God, I feel so stupid." she held her hands over her face.

edited July 2009
    "No angels are not evil. Nor are demons. War makes nations do horrible things.. We Sheolians did our fair share of bad things to the angels as well. However, that's all been resolved now. Lumina and Sheol coexist with a rivalry toward one another which is, luckily, nowhere near war at all." Nick said as he wrote down Judy's choice of balance. "The angels and the demons both simply do what they feel is right.. there is no objective good or evil, after all." He said reassuringly.
    edited July 2009
    "Doppelekreft...." The good doctor stated simply. "I don't see anything else on this list that would be of any particular use to me." Damien kept his reasons to himself for the most part though he knew someone might question why he had taken the same nation as Desoto. In truth he didn't want to be out of luck for cash if he ended up deserting this silly little band.
    que?
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    "Doppelekreft," said Mr. Cater in a confident tone. He had big plans, and he would have to climb the business ladder to put them into motion. In fact, little did the others know, he would capitalize on the death of his god, even at the cost of betraying the human race. All he needed to do was start a war. . .
    "No," he thought, "I can't do that. I may have a reading of -4, but I'm not that evil. No, I'll do what I do best to get what I want, but I won't go that far."

Wait. Did I spell that right?
    edited July 2009
    Ramona stared at the number on her card. "0?" She didn't really have anything to say about it, which is probably why it made so much sense. She thought long and hard about which balance would suit her needs, and after contempating her choices she decided. "Archemede." I'm not sure about these nations, but this one seems interesting. She laid back in her seat, a stern, dead serious look about her, which seriously clashed with the blue dres and pink flower in her hair.

edited July 2009
    ~Hmm, named for Archimedes, a profound source of wisdom...~ Thought Alexander, pondering this decision. ~What more do I have in tie with our world? I am now free of that man...free to become good again. What is good anyway?~

He pondered for a while, staring at a clenched fist in deep thought. Finally, he spoke. "I will join Archimede. Also, I would like to know more about what races there are to offer. This is a decision best made quickly if we wish to survive here."
    edited July 2009
    Nick wrote down the remaining people's balances and explained the different races to Alexander.

The parties meals arrived and they ate before Nick took them through the city to his apartment.

"You all can rest here for the night." Nick said. "Tomorrow, I have to go check on something. Girls go to that room." Nick said indicating to one room of his rather large penthouse apartment.
    "Guys over there." He pointed to another. "Get some rest. You might need it."

Nick left the party and returned to his room.

"Tomorrow's the first day of the rest of my life." Nick said to himself as he walked away.

Desoto shrugged as he left the others for his room. "Let's get some rest..." He said. "We'll discuss things amongst ourselves tomorrow."
    edited July 2009
    Damien wasted no time making his way in to the men's room. Upon entering he removed his lab coat, hanging it on the large coat rack near the door before making his way towards the bed. He kept the small metal syringe with him just in case. He wouldn't risk a minute in this world without some form of protection. "Any of you keep me awake with idle chatter and so help me, I will gut you."
    que?
    edited July 2009
    Alexander quickly caught up to Nick, touching him on the shoulder to get his attention. "I have heard all that you had to say on the races, and I have come to ask a...favor of sorts, Comrade. You are of Archimede too, yes? I was wondering...who you know that can create a Hosfa. I am a man of technology, and I wish to become more-so, especially if I wish to survive in this world."
    edited July 2009
    "I'm actually sheolian." Nick said ignoring the slight mistake. "However, I know some good Hosfa's and hosfa surgeons that I can contact.. none in Ecklesax though.. and Crowley's probably not safe...But, with any luck, we'll be in Carista in a couple of days.. Hosfa's are all over that place... I'm sure you can find someone.." Nick was proud that some of the people were getting a head start.

Desoto was not particularly tired yet. He went downstairs and found a television, turning it on to the local news station.

The camera panned in on what looked like a horrifying massacre. Desoto recognized that the streets were those of Crowley. "What you're seeing here are the remnants of tonight's mobs against the new-coming earthborne. Who have taken residence here in Necros for the time being. While the authorities are reprimanding this act of violence, they have announced that they are making no arrests for this initial incident, and are treating it as 'justified vengeance' for the incident. However, from here on out. Any murder of the earthborne will result in an arrest."

Desoto looked down at the 'E' tattooed on his arm. "Earthborne.." He muttered.. He read the figure on screen.. 239 killed...Desoto did not know what to think.. the people he had seen merely hours ago... 239 had died.. Desoto did the math.. 199 humans left...The number disturbed Desoto as he looked at the streets of Crowley. Body parts of men, women, children, all lying out in the streets with blood flowing out of them. Desoto wondered briefly if Miguel had survived. "..Of course that idiot made it.." Desoto closed. He then went up to the men's room and went to bed.
    edited July 2009
    "Thank you, you have been most helpful today." said Alexander. He walked off, wandering the halls until he came to the highest point he could find, and sat awhile pondering his meaning in this new world. Eventually, he went to bed and slept a dreamless sleep.
  • OushiOushi Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    Before the two groups separated, Kiyoshi placed a hand on Judy's shoulder, giving her his typical, comforting smile, "Don't let what happened at the restaurant sour your mood any more, Judy. Thanks to your questions we're all more educated now, and it isn't like you're more ignorant than anyone else in the group when it comes to Necros's history. Just be happy that now, thanks to you, none of us will make your mistake again." He gave her shoulder a final pat and another reassuring smile before turning away to his room. "Oh, also. Don't forget that chant you learned in the subway today. Whenever I chant it, I feel better, maybe it could work for you too. Namu Amiba Butsu."

"Wow, what a nice room!" Kiyoshi awed as he stepped into his apartment. He had had plenty of excitement today, so he went straight to his bed and nestled himself under the covers. But, he didn't exactly get to sleep quickly, his mind was overloaded and he couldn't stop thinking about all that had happened. The massacre, the subway, he could still smell the blood. Then the truth about God and the world, and then splicing. "Splicing..." Kiyoshi whispered to himself, he looked at his hand, his human hand. "No...I was lucky enough to be born a human. How could I disgrace The Buddha by tainting his gift? I'll have to tell Nick that I'm not splicing in the morning, but for now...I must get some rest."

And Kiyoshi, his mind focused on not focusing, finally got to sleep.
    edited July 2009
    "Nick, wait!" Ramona walked up to him, and just like everyone ele in the group, he was much taller compared to the teenager. "You have a very nice penthouse. Do you have any books? I would love to read up on Necros. They don't even have to be nonfiction. The owl-harpy mentioned The Chronicles of Narnia to me, which is a book series created by a human author on Earth, so you might have some earth books. Whatever you have is good." Ramona was thankful for the language chip, so she would be able to make sense of the text, but the grammer might sound strange to her.