If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Netherworld

Comments

• GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited July 2009
    "I've only learned some pretty basic stuff. Just a small healing spell and a small vigor boost spell," said Mr. Carter. "Though I must admit, I have had only a little practice."
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
  • envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited August 2009
    " That should be good." Nick stated. "Well, I guess we need to come up with a plan for how to stop this gang... but with no knowledge of them it'll be hard to lure 'em out..." Nick looked contemplative. "Better idea.." He turned to the others. "Gangs universally hate it when their 'turf' is being invaded.. so, we form our own 'gang' to lure out the other gang and then fight them."
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited August 2009
    "That's a great idea! Most of us even have matching tattoos!" Judy clapped in delight. "Practice looking tough. I'll go find the others!" "Maybe not Kiyoshi, though. I wouldn't want to interrupt his counseling."

--Meanwhile, in Kiyoshi’s therapy---

Kiyoshi’s counselor sat across from him in a large, comfortable chair, looking at him. "So, earthling, what has been troubling you? Your recent death? The death of you god?"

Kiyoshi sighed, "No. . . well, yes, I suppose they are. It's all so overwhelming. But it's my son, he died as well. He wasn't even born yet, and now my wife is left alone. I've failed as a husband and father." Kiyoshi buried his head in his hands and sighed once more.
    "I see. You blame yourself for your son's death? Why? It is no more your fault than mine, or anyone else's. Even if you had lived, you couldn't have saved him. It's unhealthy to burden yourself with false faults."
    "That's true. . . I know that there's nothing I could of done about my son. But, my wife. . ." He started choking up, thoughts of his widowed wife coming back to him.

The therapist put a hand on Kiyoshi's shoulder. "She would not want you to grieve as well. You can either continue this cycle of anguish, or you can break it. I am not suggesting that you forget your wife, but instead remember how she would have wanted you to.”
    "But isn't that selfish? Neglecting her pain for the sake of my comfort?! She just gave birth to a corpse!" Kiyoshi clenched his fist as tears began running down his cheeks once more. He stared up at the therapist, angry and confused.
    "Would she wish her pain upon you? Does your pain comfort her? No. What would she tell you?"

"I...I don't know. I was always the one comforting others." Kiyoshi wiped his eyes and shook his head, "But you're right...there's nothing I can do but move on from my grief." He sighed once more, "Funny how I'm the one who usually helps other with their problems, but I can't even deal with my own."
    "If others turn to you for help, then they should be able to help you in your times of need. Trust others as they trust you, and you will thrive."
    "Yes. . . you're right." Kiyoshi stood and forced a smile, "This town is lovely, maybe a few nights rest in this peaceful setting will settle my feelings." Kiyoshi bowed, "Thank you for your time . . . I . . . I don't know if I can pay for this. . ."

The counselor waved a hand. "Don't worry about a fee. My only wish is that you continue on to be reunited with your wife."

"Thank you. . ." Kiyoshi bowed once more and turned towards the exit, stepped through it, and began looking for his friends.

As he walked, Kiyoshi began to feel as if he was being followed. He bit his lip nervously, suddenly this new town wasn't so peaceful when he was all alone. "Maybe if I just be polite..."

“Excuse me...?" Kiyoshi stopped and looked around, but saw no one. He gave the area one more look over and sighed in relief, "Guess I'm just nervous..." He turned and continued walking, only to be met with a blow to the skull, and then, darkness.
    edited August 2009
    "All right then, it's settled." Nick said. "We'll commence a fake attack on this town as well as a simultaneous tagging declaration in order to draw out this gang. I'll provide some numbers for us using my illusion spells. I'll go find some as well, Judy." Nick sped off and easily found Desoto, who had been sitting in a bar booth writing in his notepad.

"Why should we fight for these guys?" Desoto asked. "If your corporation is so big, can't they just take over this little town and make them get a connection?" Desoto was not in the mood to get involved in the conflicts of a world he was not native to.

"Dharma corporation likes to maintain its image and not resort to hostile takeover in gaining companies cooperations. In many ways, hostile takeover of a peaceful franchise like this could be extremely bad. It would oppose other franchises against Dharma and unleash corporate warfare."

"So? You guys could win that, right?"

"Unfortunately, war has changed significantly these past years. Any war that might result in too much international instability is quelled by Vulcan. Usually, that means that a nation will meet an indiscriminate destruction of people until enough lives are lost to not be able to possibly declare war." Nick said in a completely matter-of-fact tone.

Desoto's mouth hung open, he was shocked that this worlds solution to warfare was something so ruthless and brutal. "Don't they like- care for politicians or anything?"

"No. In such a situation, it is considered that the quantity of lives lost outweighs the quality of them in terms of importance. It's truly a savage fate, and no nation wishes to have that befall them."

"Why do you guys go along with that?"

"Vulcan is something we've all agreed upon. This world has been ravaged by war nearly since the dawn of our civilization. Countless lives have been lost, our god stopped visiting our world after they had given up on trying to abate the war. Eventually, people from nations decided to build a peace-keeping island of law which would hold a sword above all nations which would drop if they began a war. We wanted the killing to stop, and thus, Vulcan, the ultimate ceasefire, was founded."

"so why does a town of peace exist?"

"Rivalries still occur between nations of course, and sometimes these rivalries may elevate to bloodshed. However, that's not a war. When a nation amasses forces to invade another, that's war. However, a small rivalry is still killing, towns like D'abo wish to stop this killing as well." Nick explained.

Desoto was at a loss for words.

"C'mon now. The others are waiting." Nick said as he led Desoto outside and found the others as well.

"All right. Now then, here are my orders." Nick began as he threw everyone a can of spraypaint. "Go cause havoc, and flash your tattoos as much as possible." His commands were simple. he knew that some of the members would take this very well. He threw each of them a small communicator too. "Oh, and if you get ganged up on. Call the rest of us, we'll be there to back you up."
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Ramona sighed as she stared at the can full of red spray paint. Yeah...This is smart. She sighed once more, before running off, dashing down the street. She pushed girl, before kicking a man with her in the stomach sending her down as well. She laughed maniacally, being as convincing as ever, before spraying both of the people in the face, running off. She found a trash can and picked it up over her head, and threw it into a window of a near by building, surprising herself as it actually broke threw the glass. She held her hand out to the broken window. "Pyrista!" Parts of the room the window had previously guarded were now caught on fire and carried out into the streets. She continued to do this to several buildings, kicking and pushing anyone who she saw. She flashed her tattoo as much as she could, sticking her tongue out and shaking her head, blowing raspberries as well. She was a fantastic actor, but really hated what she was doing.
    So close...And yet so far...
    edited August 2009
    Desoto too went about tagging. He took special note to appear like a member of a gang, which he was quite good at given that his old friend was Miguel. "Sly" he would say every now and again as he shot pebbles around to cause some havoc.

Nick meanwhile, cast an illusion spell on each of the party members to make it appear that there were more of them. Each doppelganger had slight variations in terms of appearance from the original, this was to make it so that the gang would feel that this was an actual gang and not just a few psychos.
    edited August 2009
    As Mr. Carter wrecked havoc, he wondered if this would lower his karma because he was clearly acting violently, or raise it because the chaos was part of the plan to do good.

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2009
    The tyke ain't half bad. That's magic, huh? Looks toasty, thought George as Ramona went on a rampage. George leaned against a street sigh. He seriously needed a cigarette. As the people fled from his allies, he blocked their paths with his intimidating stare. He flashed his tattoo and let his eyes do the talking. Without saying a word, he got the message clear, "You ****s aren't going anywhere. The party's just begun." One man gathered up enough bravery to try negotiating with the human-golem. The man was a middle-aged swan harpy and came off as a serious pacifist. In the middle of the man's plea, George grabbed the man's head and slammed it into the nearby wall. He glared at the rest of the crowd. He then looked at the harpy on the ground. Maybe the Asian'd like to be one of those.
    edited August 2009
    Judy ran around the town, painting mild obscenities and kicking stuff over, acting as tough as she could muster. "Yeah, screw you! Hehehe!" She noticed George's tactics. "Oh! That poor man! At least George is making our gang look more convincing."

"Hey, you earthlings! What do you think you're doing here, on our turf?" A group of four people had arrived where George, Ramona, and Judy were. Two of them looked human, and the other two looked elvish, and they all carried some sort of melee weapon. One of the humans was dragging a large bundle. "You better calm down fast, because we got something that belongs to you."

On closer inspection, Judy saw the bundle was Kiyoshi, bound, gagged, and bruised. She gasped slightly, almost giving away the party's true intentions. However, she was unheard as one of the humans continued talking. "You lot can get lost, and maybe you'll see your friend again!"

Judy contacted Nick and the others with her communicator, telling them to hurry.
    edited August 2009
    Mr. Carter made his way back towards the group as quickly as he could. However, when Kiyoshi and the gang came into sight, he hid behind a building and took a moment to consider his options. "Hopefully, they've only seen Judy, George, and Ramona. Hm. . . If I sneak behind them, I might be able to heal Kiyoshi before they notice me. And even if they do, I can always boost my strength and take them on. But, I'd better let one of those three know what I'm doing so they can distract them."
    He stepped out from his hiding place and waved his left arm while putting his right index finger to his lips in the hopes that he could get his message across without alerting the gang to his prescence.
    edited August 2009
    Nick arrived shortly though stayed in the shadows as well. he thought that this gang might run away if they found that there was a Necrotian aiding these humans. So he would support the group from the shadows.

Desoto appeared and was ready to fight. He still had the knife Nick had given him earlier and drew the blade, ready to fight the gang. "If they were going to kill Kiyoshi they would have done it by now. He's still alive which means he's a bargaining chip. You let him go, we leave, right? This means that you're not confident enough to just force us to leave, are you, brats? Have to bargain with pathetic humans like us? Ha. Necrotians aren't so tough after all." Desoto made himself sound as though he was in fact a rogue human who had no parent with him in an attempt to get the gang to charge them and leave Kiyoshi temporarily for Carter to get at.
    edited August 2009
    "What? Yeah, right, we could off you in a flash!" One of the humanoids shook his own knife at Desoto.

Judy saw Carter and understood what Desoto was doing. "Sure you could! What's stopping you?"

"Oh, I've had enough . . . Zeph!" The gang member conjured up a strong blast of wind aimed at Desoto. As the gust moved toward him, the caster seemed to meld with his attack, disappearing into his attack.

The gang member holding Kiyoshi turned to the others. "You two help deal with those guys, I'll make sure none of them get their friend back." The pair being spoken to did not reply with words. Their improvisational clubs floated into the air, and they began a four-pronged assault on the rest of the earthlings. Anyone who had read about the races of Necros would be able to tell that they were Esper, most likely coordinating their attacks through telepathy.
    edited August 2009
    Desoto snapped as he said "slick" (remember, people have to have their own movement when casting spells.) He summoned two areas of earth and managed to use them to anchor himself to the ground as the wind blew. The two espers did not concern him as much as an elemental enemy like the wind mage. He stood prepared to fight the approaching espers.
  • SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Ramona ran up next to Desoto, holding her hand out like she had done with her other spells, and yelled out. "Pyrista!" A wall of flame appeared in front of Desoto and the young girl, burning into the air and blowing wind and hopefully charring the wind mage.
    So close...And yet so far...
    edited August 2009
    "Idea." Desoto said, as he snapped and formed rocks using sly. He shot the rocks through Ramona's curtain of fire to make flaming pellets to attack the espers with.
    edited August 2009
    "So, they left one guy to defend their captive?" thought Mr. Carter, "That was dumb."
    Desoto and Judy had given him enough time to get within twenty-five feet of the goon. At this point, he decided to move in. As he ran towards Kiyoshi's guard, he flexed his right arm and spoke the spell name, ready to deck the opponent with magical strength.
    (Yeah, I don't know the names of any non-elemental spells yet because I'm waiting for envydei to post more spells. Until then, I'm just going to call my spells "vig" and "mend.")

edited August 2009
    The first gang member screeched in pain as he was burned by the flame. He morphed back into humanoid form behind Ramona and Desoto, smoking slightly and growling. He took a quick stab at Desoto, then morphed into a cloud of smoke, moving with the smoke that had just come off of his body.

The esper were surprised by the rocks flying through the flaming screen, and they were only able to avoid most of the projectiles. However, they stopped attacking, as they were both rather wounded.

Daniel's opponent was slightly more capable. He heard Mr. Carter coming and responded by extending his arms and legs, back-bending over him with ease. As his limbs returned to their normal size, he shoved his palm out towards Carter, whose velocity was suddenly increased. The businessman now risked punching a comrade with his magical strength, or running into their burning wall.
    edited August 2009
    George had vanished during the fray. However, the boy had not ran away. As the man with Kiyoshi made his move, George appeared out of the street and wrapped his stone hands around the man's neck. George didn't waste anytime to squeeze. I miss my speed, but I'm getting use to the strength. I'm about to kill someone, ain't I? First time for everything.
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Damien pleasantly trotted through the town, causing trouble wherever he went. While everyone had their own tactics, Damien simply went about doing whatever could profit him in one way or another. After kicking over a sizable trash barrel, the vet threw the metal container through the window of a pharmacy. After clearing away the wreckage, Damien made his way through the aisles briefly, removing his scalpel from his coat pocket as he aproached the cashier. A small wave of his hand convinced the elvish woman to promptly leave the store as he pillaged the various chemicals. "Let's see then....Ah! Chloroform, always useful." The scheming vet took the vial and rag from the cabinet, shoving it into his coat before checking further in to the medical supplies. "Painkillers, anti-depressants, hormones, oh for the love of- Don't these people have anything with a little more kick to it?" Damien sighed as he made his way to the register, forcing it open after a bit of physical persuading.

It wasn't until after Damien had stuffed his pockets that Judy's message reached him. "So the pacifist went and got himself clobbered did he? Figures." With that, Damien slipped through the alleys, making his way towards where Judy and the others were. When he arrived; he entered on the opposite side of the alley, coming up directly behind the group of men that had kidnapped Kiyoshi.
    que?
    edited August 2009
    "Damn." Desoto said as he held his hand over the small wound.

"That won't happen again.." Nick called from an alleyway as he cast a multiplication spell on the humans. Now the humans were surrounded by doppelgangers of themselves. Only party members in George's case, who was actually making physical contact with an enemy) could be seen through.
    edited August 2009
    The nonamover struggled in George's grasp, twitching his arms back and forth, sending the two smashing into walls. However, George was able to hold on long enough, and the man went limp in his hands.

The last member of the gang temporarily reformed, looking at his defeated comrades. "All of you were useless!" He looked at the army of earthlings before and behind him. "Even if this is illusion magic, I'm still outnumbered! Damnit!" "Have fun with D'abo, you earthling freaks! Fumo!" A cloud of smoke billowed up around him, and his silhouette melded into it. The smoke blew past Damien (and directly away from Ramona). It didn't stop until it was out of sight.

"Ugh. . ." Groaned one of the fallen esper.
    edited August 2009
    "This isn't good," thought Mr. Carter as he sped towards the flaming wall. "Oh, well. I was bound to get some scrapes sooner or later."
    As he got closer to the flames, he tripped himself and started rolling side-ways in an attempt to quickly extinguish himself once he went through the wall.
    edited August 2009
    Nick grabbed a nearby bucket of water and dumped it on Mr. Carter to extinguish his fire. The fight was for all intensive purposes over. "I think our job here is done." Nick said, congratulating the party members. "Good job, all of you."

Desoto brushed off his clothes and approached carter to see if he could heal the small stab wound.

"I'll go report to mayor Capensis." Nick continued. "You all wait here. If any of those guys come back, call me." He ran off toward Capensis' office to alert the mayor of the gangs defeat.
    edited August 2009
    "Mend," said Mr. Carter as he flexed his arm again. "Now, let's see what I can do for Kiyoshi."

edited August 2009
    "Welcome back." Mayor Capensis was pleased to see Nick. "The news reports show that the original gang was taken care of, but people are now worried about a much worse one. I'm glad you didn't bring them along." He walked over to his desk. "My guess is that if the gang problem had gone unsolved, the damage your group did would have been done anyway, so I'm willing to overlook it. Here's a copy of the historical records, and we'll be in touch with Dharma corp., as promised. Oh, and here's a little something for the earthlings, so they can splice into another race or something." He handed Nick a large package of karmatics. "Now, if you don't mind, could your group move along? The citizens of D'abo probably don't want you sticking around."

((I relinquish any gamemastering control I had.))
    edited August 2009
    Nick gave a curt bow to the mayor, thanking him for his business. "Much obliged, Mr. Capensis. My company and I shall take our leave now." With that, Nick sped out and regreeted the party. "Hey, everybody!" He said happily as he returned. "good news, bad news. Bad news: we have to leave. now. Grab Kiyoshi and let's get on the next train. Good news: We've got karmatics for all of you now." With that, Nick ran off toward the train station, taking the box with him.

Desoto looked a bit dumbfounded, his wound still hurt, however, he ran off after Nick as well.
    edited August 2009
    "I guess Kiyoshi will need to wait until we get on the train," thought Mr. Carter as he followed the others.
    edited August 2009
    Judy freed Kiyoshi and helped him limp his way to the train. "Are you okay? What happened?"
    edited August 2009
    "Hurry up," growled George as Judy and Kiyoshi lagged behind. "You know the demon will leave without us. He's always caught up in the moment like he ain't got an off switch. Asian, you're a light eater, right? Whatever, we don't have time. Don't complain." George lifted up Kiyoshi and threw the man over his shoulder. Even with his new golem powers, George still had a hard time carrying a full grown man. Less than a week ago, George had been carried in a similar manner, so the boy wasn't the most manly man. However, this was quicker than Judy dragging him along. George, Judy, and Kiyoshi caught up before Nick and some of the less wounded could leave the three behind. I need to remind the doctor to steal some tranqs. We seriously need to slow down this damn speed demon.
  • OushiOushi Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    "Mhnn..Mhh..?"

Kiyoshi groaned as he was removed from his unconscious state. Little by little, his sense returned to him, the most notable at the moment being his ability to feel, "Mhghh...Hhphd..." a sharp, throbbing pain, concentrated upon his forehead, was the first problem Kiyoshi noticed. The second was his vision. He blinked, trying to clear his blurry sight, but an odd, red filter persisted. Something was seeping through the cloth the gang used to gag him; it tasted odd and metallic, "Blood...whom's? Mine?"

He rolled his head to the left and saw a blurry, red image of Judy who was frantically trying to decipher the knots of his ropes. His head rolled over to the right and was met with a corpse. Kiyoshi could barely see the large, hand shaped bruises on the corpse's neck; he also noticed the red, hot, glowing stones and heard the crackling of Ramona's fire wall. The fire, stones, strangled corpse, and his bloodied vision, all made the poor Buddhist more and more uncomfortable and more and more confused.

Finally, Judy managed to free him of his bindings. She gingerly helped Kiyoshi to his feet and removed his blood-soaked gag; a moment of gasping and wheezing immediately followed. Judy allowed him a moment to steady himself and regain composure, during which he noted how terrible his entire body felt. His wobbling legs likely would of given in to his weight had Judy not been supporting him; his arms shook as he raised a hand to his face and wiped his eyes. He stared at the hand, his vision a now bit better; it was smeared with blood. He continued to stare at the blood stained hand as his other arm dropped onto Judy's shoulder.

The two began to walk and Kiyoshi noticed that he was limping, "Goodness...what happened?" Suddenly Judy asked him the very same query. Kiyoshi's memory raced as he tried to remember just how he got into this mess. He remembered the counselor, and then he was trying to find the group. Didn't he think someone was following him? Kiyoshi's brow furrowed as he tried to remember the specifics of that moment. All that he could remember, however, was a whirl of motion, but that seemed to be enough for the wound on his head, which throbbed even harder as the memory faded to black.

"Ohh...Judy...my head...hard to focus." Kiyoshi groaned as he limped along. Suddenly the sound of heavy footsteps was fast-approaching the pair, and Kiyoshi suddenly felt a strong hand around his waist as he was lifted off his feet and thrown over George's shoulder. "Oof! G-George?!" Kiyoshi exclaimed. The remainder of the trip was spent by Kiyoshi grunting in pain and discomfort as his aching body bounced up and down on George's shoulder, receiving a few stares from the citizens of D'abo. Finally, however, the rough trip ended with George unsympathetically dropped Kiyoshi into an open seat. Kiyoshi simply slumped into his seat and held his throbbing forehead, trying to interpret what just happened.