If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Netherworld

Comments

• envydeienvydei Traveler Full Members
    edited August 2009
    "All right. Good to see you all join us." Nick addressed the others as they boarded the train. Desoto looked around and figured he could speak for the party when he said they were exhausted.

"Where to next?" Nick said with pep. "These trains run through every franchise in Doppelekreft given enough time.

"Nick.." Desoto began. "Give it a rest.. we're still really new here.. we just got here.. and we aren't all endowed with magical powers like you all are." He said as he kneeled his head into his hands, still catching his breath from the earlier run. "I'd like us to go somewhere where we can just relax... a place with a clean history of no gang violence.. and I guess where we won't have to do much for you to get your business stuff done."

Nick looked like he wanted to say something but backed it down. He had been thoughtless, Desoto was right. These guys didn't have any sort of controls over elements unless they learned them, nor were they endowed with special powers. "Okay.." Nick said more slowly. "We'll head to Gail. It's a new city which is founded upon unconditional relaxation. A city of vacation. Lots of Necrotians come there to relax and let loose. However, unlike D'abo, Gail has a stricter law enforcement agency against gangs and crimes. So I don't think we'll need to do any fighting while there."
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 2009
    "...That's great and all, but what do the less saintly of us do? I wouldn't mind a vacation myself, but think they'll hesitate only letting someone like me in?" George had taken a seat fairly far away from the others after so carelessly ditching Kiyoshi. "Speaking of vacation, ain't this place got something beside splicing to... give a man in need a good 'lift'?" He figured some of the more jaded members would catch on to what he was getting at. However, he could only guess what Nick would be thinking. The last time we tried word play with him we got gum instead of a gun.
    edited August 2009
    "Oh yeah they have drugs." Nick said bluntly. "You're 18? Good, you're an adult here. Just fill out the paperwork you can shoot up whatever f our drugs you feel like as long as you don't go causing a public disturbance and can afford it." Nick shrugged. George's want for drugs didn't strike him as particularly out of the ordinary, and he didn't know why George made such a big deal out of it. Drug use was fairly common in Necros (in a 19th century manner) and he found it as no reason to be antisocial.

"Oh which reminds me." Nick said as he opened a box and removed small insect like creatures. "Karmatics.. 15 points of karma splicing either up or down for each of you." he distributed the insects around.

".. we say harvest to go down.. how do we go up?" Desoto asked.

"You say groom."

"Okay.. groom.." with that, the karmatic glowed a bright blue in Desoto's hand and his karma balance increased by 15 points (now at 19).
  • KhanKhan Heh heh Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Once George let go of Kiyoshi, Judy was at his side again, tending to his injuries as best she could. "I don't really have the stuff I need to dress these wounds. Hey Dan, could you get over here and help Kiyoshi?"

Judy was somewhat surprised by Nick's nonchalant attitude about drugs. However, she moved on at the mention of the karmatics, taking her share with interest. "Oh! Uh, groom, I guess." The karmatic did its thing, raising her karma to 21 ((edited into profile)).

• SukeSuke Sexy Back Full Members
    edited August 2009
    "Groom." Ramona's karma went up 15 points to a now even 15.
    So close...And yet so far...
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    "Right," said Mr. Carter. "Ho, boy," he thought. "Let's see if this does the trick."
    "Mend," he said as he flexed his arm. With that, he had healed all of Kiyoshi's minor wounds and patched up some of the more serious ones to a bearable degree.
    Wait. Did I spell that right?
    edited August 2009
    George was sort of surprised Nick got what he was talking about, but he was even more perplex that drugs didn't seem to hold a stigma. What, is everyone here like this? Am I in Amsterdam or something? Least I don't need to splice to get high. George accepted his karmatic and then asked, "Hey, if I decrease my score, would I not be allowed to enter this vacation place? I ain't using this trinket to make myself good."
    edited August 2009
    "Why would that be the case?" Nick asked, perplexed. "There are saints who have karmas of -300. To deny you service simply based on your karma number would be discrimination. It's how you act that'll get you kicked out of a place. Altering your karma won't suddenly make you a more evil or a more good person.. you'll still have the same personality as ever. But you'll just have a different number to go with it." With that, Nick sat down and relaxed as he began reading through D'abo's papers.

The party spent the night on a train again. While the others slept, Nick looked up from his papers and began thinking. "Poor guys.. I guess they really do need some relaxation....and a new wardrobe, yeesh. They friggin' scream destitute without any change of clothes.." Nick then slept the rest of the night.

Morning came and the train kept on rolling. People poured in and people left as the sun rose the next morning. "Salazia 19th.." Nick recited to himself. "Sky will be blue for only 19 more days..." He looked out the window and woke all the others up. "Guys, we're here." He said pointing out the window.

The scene was that of a beautiful coastline city, covered in boardwalks, large buildings, and piers. The blue ocean stretched out beyond it as far as the eye could see and the Sun beamed down. All in all, the place was very much like a coastal city in the Caribbean, which made Desoto feel very familiar.

The train pulled up and the party departed down the sunny streets toward a rather nice hotel. Nick walked in and went about checking the party in. "We'll stay here for the time being. Good view of the ocean from here." He led them up to their room which was fully furnished for their exact amount of people.
    edited August 2009
    As soon as Judy saw the beautiful view, she gasped in delight. She hopped up and down excitedly as they reserved their room, and once they had done so, she asked, "CAN WE GO PLAY CAN WE GO PLAY CAN WE GO PLAY!?!" Having lived in Iowa her whole life, she had never seen any ocean (except in pictures) before.
    edited August 2009
    Ramona came up next to Judy, holding her hand over her eyes, looking at the nice view. She had an uncommon smile on her face, probably a result from the sights and weather. "And what is it you would like to play, exactly?" Honestly, Ramona was up for anything.
  • OushiOushi Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Kiyoshi stepped off the train gingerly, thankfully a nights rest and Mr. Carter's magic had healed him up just enough so that he could at least walk on his own. The salty, ocean breeze was a welcome shift from the stench of blood and flame that had become a bit too familiar with the party for Kiyoshi's liking, "Ahh, the ocean...it almost like I'm back home. In fact, if it weren't for the different people," Kiyoshi began as a family of hawk harpies fluttered by, "the illusion would just about be complete." He smiled, thinking of his life back home. He missed his school, his home, and of course his friends and wife. His fond memories were interrupted, however, as a careless passenger shoved his way past Kiyoshi and jostled him back to reality.

He stepped into the plaza and simply enjoyed the decor as Nick handled the group's arrangements. He chuckled at Judy's excitement over the ocean, and smiled warmly as Ramona showed a more friendly side, as apposed to her usual, business driven attitude, "You two should have fun, I think I'll just stay up in the room an relax. Besides, I have to admit I've gotten a little bored of the beach after living my whole life on an island." Kiyoshi chuckled, and began exploring the room's features.
    edited August 2009
    "Well...I do suppose I could relax a bit. But if this room has any books, let me know. I would like to contine with my magic." Ramona looked around the room observantly.
    edited August 2009
    Kiyoshi looked up from his search and focused on Ramona, surprised, "Magic? I wasn't aware you could cast magic." He remarked, unaware that anyone other than Nick had the capability for spells. He had been unconscious during the scrap in the streets of D'abo, and wasn't quite well enough to be fully aware of Mr. Carter's abilities.
    edited August 2009
    "Oh. Right. You were unconscious. Well, while we were staying at Nick's apartment, I used my time to the fullest and learned a few spells." Ramona help her finger up and a small ball of fire floated over it. She threw the ball to her other hand, before squeezing it in her palm, making it disappear. She turned to Kiyoshi and smiled.

edited August 2009
    Kiyoshi's eyes lit up as the fire danced around in Ramona's hands, "Wow! That's spectacular!" He exclaimed, and clapped his hands together in a small applause. He smiled warmly at the teenager and sighed, "I was hoping to be someone who could care for our team, but at this rate it seems like I'm going to be the one who needs the most care. Maybe I could try to learn some magic." The idea seemed a little fantastic to him, being able to simply learn spells as something he never dreamed of.
    edited August 2009
    "I suggest you do. Magic is very useful, and there's no telling what we'll face in this world." Ramona looked around at everyone. "So...This place has a beach?" She let out a very faint blush before crossing her arms. "is there anywhere I can get a swimsuit around here?"
    edited August 2009
    "yeah, about that." Nick said reaching into his pockets. "Here's some money for all of you." he doled out divisions of cash between the party. "Go buy yourselves some new clothes and some stuff to entertain yourselves. You all seriously need to change clothes, you smell." He added nonchalantly. "I've got to go meet with the proprietor of Gail to discuss business. You all can go out and have fun. Meet back here at sunset (It's morning right now). If you guys wanna spend smarter, I suggest you hang around the guys with a Doppelekereft balance. They can sniff out good prices. George, if you want drugs, simply find a seller buy them and head back here to use them. Also, remember, no fighting. Gail has a much stricter non-violence policy than D'abo. If you violate their terms, you'll find yourself in jail. Oh, also, most hotel lobbies have free copies of the Necrotian almanac that you all could use to learn spells." He said pointing back toward the door. "Have a good time relaxing. You may run into some of your fellow earthkin here, attracted due to the nonviolence policy." With that, he walked out to head off to conduct his business.

Desoto looked at the others and decided he would head toward the beach to continue writing. 'This whole venture might make a good novel idea' He thought. He picked up his money and began heading out to go to purchase some new outfits.

Meanwhile, in the lobby, a man walked in. He wore a gray wife-beater, sunglasses, and a large fur coat. He wore jeans and combat boots in addition to this. He walked in with a saunter and a smile on his face. "Hey babe, gimme a room." Miguel addressed the worker at the front desk.

"You'll have to pay for that sir." the clerk told Miguel.

Miguel seemed to sniff the air. "Tell ya what, hon." He smiled charmingly. "Meet up with me later, and we'll discuss the exact manner of my payment over dinner." He grinned at the woman, a rather pretty elf girl.

The clerk looked surprised, she had never been asked out so bluntly, especially not by a human. She would have said yes, but before she good, Miguel had already taken the room key from her hand and left a note that read "meet me at 18:30." Miguel walked toward the elevator and began ascending, his party with him.

"Smooth man." the large, burly man said to Miguel.

"Gotta know a thing or two in life, just one o' those handy tips. They teach you that kinda stuff frenchy?" He turned to Solandra. "You lot are supposed to be all romantic and that stuff, right?"
    edited August 2009
    Ramona smiled as she took the money, looking at it in the palm of her hand. The money didn't look took different from Earth's, but the faces were obviously common know Necrotian emperors. She didn't have any pockets, as she was wearing a dress, so the first thing she did was by a small purse. After that, she found a few outfits she liked. All of theme were very cute and girly. She also found a one piece bath suit that she could use. She figured she would relaxed in the water, out a the sun, at least for a bit, before going back to the hotel room to study more magic. She came back to the hotel room, wearing a sunhat and sunglasses, with a bag in each of her hands. She wasn't smiling, but not angry or bored or whatever. She really had no emotion on her face at the moment, but it really was blocked by the hat and glasses. After setting her things down she took a quick shower and changed into her one piece. It looked good on her, but Ramona would always be a little shy about wearing bathing suits. She exited the bathroom, to find Judy. "You want to come to the beach?"
  • GORNGORN Member Full Members
    edited August 2009
    After acquiring some new clothes, Mr. Carter went back to the hotel and read more on status magic. (I don't know how many more spells he should learn. What do you think is good?)

Wait. Did I spell that right?
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Damien departed from the rest of the group, taking care to bring a map with him before doing so so as to at least be able to find the hotel later. Taking Nicholas' advice, the good doctor used his unique allignment to sniff out the best prices on what he was looking for. Various knives and other carving trinkets were easy enough to find but the one thing Damien still lacked which he needed most was a firearm. Damien was however able to find the next best thing. It was a somewhat small, almost pistol sized crossbow. Now, Damien himself had never used one before in his life but if nothing else he was a quick learner.

The vet picked up the small weapon, taking note of the unique necrotian modifications to it. For one, the bolts it fired were no more than six inches long, meaning it would require some finess to be used effectively, a hitch Damien didn't much appreciate. On the plus side, there was a small cylindrical drum clipped to its underside which Damien came to find out was actually the ammunition clip. It took some haggling but eventually Damien was able to acquire the easily hidden weapon and plenty of ammunition for a fairly low price. Afterwards Damien made his way back to the hotel, stopping in its small bookstore before heading to his room. After a brief period he purchased a small paper back book with no title, but rather a picture of a humanoid figure in a bubble.
    que?
    edited August 2009
    (I was planning to have Kiyoshi focus heavily on Status, if that answers your question.)

Kiyoshi reluctantly accepted Nick's offer, strict Buddhists weren't supposed to accept gifts of money, but this was certainly an exception. "It would be nice to get out of these blood stained clothes." He thought as he looked down at his ruined, bloody suit. He filed out of the room along with everyone else and, following Nick's advice, partnered up with Damien. The vet pointed him in the direction of a clothes store and the two went their separate ways.

Kiyoshi certainly didn't care much for fashion, something comfortable and modest was all he needed. So, he found another suit, white, the same as his current one. "Come to think of it, I should probably buy some more clothes, and just about everything is on sale." He muttered to himself as his eyes scanned the many aisles of clothes. He purchased for himself another tie, this one beige, an orange t-shirt, khaki shorts, replaced his dressier shoes with a more practical pair of brown tennis shoes, a blue swimsuit, and several pairs of socks and underwear. He also purchased a briefcase to carry his wardrobe, as well as any other personal items he may happen to come across.

He smiled as the clerk at the check-out rung up his new swimsuit, "A swimsuit...it sure has been a while since my high school days, maybe I should test out this body, see if it's still what it used to be." He thanked the clerk and packed up his briefcase. He began his trek back to the room, but spied a little bookshelf near the front desk, "Magic...? Kiyoshi stepped over to the bookshelf and saw the Necrotian Almanac. Casting spells surely would be a great asset, so he picke dup the book and carried it with him to the room.

"What a nice outfit new outfit, Ramona." Kiyoshi said pleasantly as he walked inside. He set down his briefcase and placed the book on his nightstand. He stepped into the bathroom and took his own shower, scrubbing off the stench of blood and death. He grabbed one of the hotel's robes and put it on, feeling quite at home in it. He stepped out of the bathroom, "I think I'm going to spend some time studying, if that's alright with everyone." He smiled and made his way over to the almanac. He grabbed it, hoped up onto his bed and flipped it open.

Status magic...hmm...

Solandra glared at Miguel, "No. Believe it or not, selling your body in exchange for hotel rooms or other favors isn't taught in France." She sighed, "I appreciate your ambition, but I think if you'd keep your mouth shut this would all be a lot more pleasant." As the group entered their room, she walked over to the window and stared outside at the ocean, "Should we let Karen in the water? I know merfolk are doubly strong in their native element." She looked over her shoulder at their parent, "And if she does do something stupid, I'm not gong to ruin my clothes trying to stop her."
    edited August 2009
    She exited the bathroom, to find Judy. "You want to come to the beach?"
    Judy came out of her room once she had changed into her new suit. She answered Ramona's question with an excited "Yep!" Judy saw that most of the male members of the group were either studying or gone. "So, this is a ladies-only outing then? Let's go!"
    edited August 2009
    Desoto sat out by the beach in a small veranda, writing and drinking something akin to wine. He looked out and sighed a sigh of relief. "The beaches here are the same, at least.." He muttered, remembering home. He continued writing.

Nick, meanwhile, met with the proprietor of Gail and began speaking of renewing their contract with Dharma.

"Don't toy with me, messenger boy." Matthias Gail said to Nick. "It's no secret that every town who continues their contract with Dharma is destined for ruin."

"All rumors of Dharma's 'intentional collapse' have been proven false, Mr. Gail. Those rumors are years old, and were debunked by top researchers from Atticus. You have no reason to believe in such a thing."

"Hmph." Gail commented stubbornly. "Fine.. but let me tell you, boy. I sense any messing up on Dharma's part. I'll lead a rebellion. Everyone comes to Gail for vacation. They love this place and they love me. If I gave the word, they'd all rebel against Dharma."

"Dharma is aware of your influence, Mr. Gail. Mr. Dharma himself sends his regards for allowing him to use your island properties to build his resort home. We appreciate having you as an ally to our business." Nick said calmly. "Now, in regards to the papers."

"Oh, yes. That's no trouble at all." Mr. Gail said as he beckoned a secretary he had sent to make a copy of Gail's history.

"Thank you, sir." Nick said as he received the documents and left.

Nick sighed. "Guess I'll go relax, myself." He headed around Gail to mind his own business.

Miguel looked at Karen. The mermaid had agreed to show them the way to Gail only after being horribly coerced by Miguel. Miguel looked down at the small fish-woman and sighed. "All right, fish. You get three hours in the ocean. After that, you'll have to stay in the hotel pool if you want to swim... Oh, and if you aren't back in three hours, don't think I won't find you. You may be fast in water, but I doubt you can outswim me." He said coldly to the mermaid, who sadly nodded as she left for the ocean.

Miguel turned and looked out the window toward the beach. He noticed Desoto sitting in a veranda. "well, I'll be damned." He said as he bolted out of the room, he shoved Karen out of his way as he ran down the hall to greet his old friend.
  • BoltsBolts This made France awesome. Full Members
    edited August 2009
    Damien had been sitting quietly in his own bed reading when Kiyoshi entered. A single eyebrow raised as the bhuddist sat down on the bed next to him. "So....Mr. Monk. Is there a reason you'd rather spend the day in here reading than spend it with that pretty nurse you're always hanging around?" The vet attempted to sound genuinely interested, if not a bit sarcastic, but in truth he wanted nothing more than to simply have some time to himself. "Don't get me wrong books are nice but....well." The good doctor's eyes shifted away from his book for a fragment of a second to glance towards Kiyoshi. "They don't really satisfy all of our needs do they?"

que?
    edited August 2009
    George took his money and left. I haven't used this karmatic yet. "Harvest." George's karma plummeted to -20. That snake said I'd be able to get more options the lower my score went. I could careless about clothes or magic, and I don't want recreational drugs. Splicing is a high of its own, but it results in power. No need for this world's lame excuses for drugs when I can have more. George saw a place that looked to be a splicing artisan's workshop. The boy entered and approached the counter, and he laid all his money on the table. "I'm -20. Give me whatever you want for that range for this price. I trust your artistic style."
    edited August 2009
    The artisan looked at George and nodded. He led him into the back room and took out the briefcase of phials. "Here we are.." He laid George down and injected the needle into his spinal column.

The familiar high came over George, though this time it was more nightmarish. Screams echoed in George's head and he seemed to be seeing quadruple as the procedure began to take effect.

George woke up from the trip several minutes later and was presented with a mirror. His skin had reverted back to a very pale white, and his hair had grown somewhat. His skin was soft to touch again. However, more noticeable was the fact that he now had eight eyes and fangs. "All right, you're an Archne now." Said the artisan. "You might wanna wear this." He gave him a headband that would cover his six extra eyes in public. "Your kind can only feed on living prey, so people are gonna avoid you if they know you're an Archne. You also can spin webs from your hands now." The artisan himself looked like he was ready to fight back in case George went against him. "Here's your change." He gave George back a small portion of his money. "Good business with ya sir." He nodded to George.

Miguel finally reached Desoto.

"Bro!!" he screamed as he ran up behind his friend and grabbed him. "Wassup bro? Good seeing ya man."

Desoto choked and looked behind him. "Miguel! Oh man, good to see ya!" The two shook hands and did something of a 'bro hug'.

"What've you been doing since Crowley?" Desoto asked.

"Mainly hanging around the place, I've got some big plans now, bro." Miguel responded.

"Oh boy, more big plans." Desoto said a bit less enthusiastically.

"This one'll work, bro. Trust me. I'm looking for some people though. If I can get to them before they die on me, then everything'll-"

"Change for the better? You always say that." Desoto noted. "Anyway, who's in your group?"

"A french chick, a big guy, a doctor and our parent is a mermaid. You?"

"A drug addict kid, another child, some peppy nurse, a buddhist monk, some vet, a businessman, a bouncer, and our parent is a speed demon." Desoto replied.

"Cool..you staying at the-?" Miguel began his question pointing at the hotel.

"Yeah." Desoto responded. He was happy to see his friend, however, he was in the middle of writing, which Miguel knew would always distract him.

"I'll catch ya later bro." Miguel said. "You're writing, so I know how you get." With that, Miguel left and Desoto continued writing.
    edited August 2009
    Kiyoshi lowered the book to his lap and smiled at Damien, "A reason? Let's not forget we're humans, and, as much as it saddens me, I suspect there will be a lot more violence directed against us. I have to step up my own efforts, or else I'll just be a burden on the group. If magic is what I can do to help, then I'll study it religiously."

His eyes narrowed ever so slightly as he addressed Damien's second question, "I'm not sure what you're suggesting, but all I need is the health and well being of my friends to be satisfied. If you're talking about love, I have a beautiful wife." Kiyoshi did think a bit on Damien's words though, he was always hanging around with Judy. Perhaps he could also spend this time bonding with his other teammates, "Do you have someone you love?" He asked, smiling face roostered to the side.

"Does is want to start trouble already? I was planning to enjoy this hotel, not harass its occupants." Solandra sighed and stared at the ocean. She had only visited the ocean once or twice, she was usually too busy with cooking or college to enjoy the beach. She turned away from the window and set down her purse upon a bed, pulled it open, and peered inside. She shoved away the numerous vials of poison and what not she had concocted and pulled out a black, two-piece swimsuit. She had convinced Miguel to not terrorize a town long enough for her to do some shopping, and had filled a purse with various necessities, including a swimsuit.

"Guard the door, would you, Bruce?" She asked over her shoulder as she stepped inside the bathroom. Moments later, she stepped out clad in her black two-piece and a towel; her blond hair down and hanging loosely over her back and shoulders, "Well then, if there's trouble, and I'm sure there will be, you'll know where I am." She said to the group as she grabbed her purse and headed for the beach.
    edited August 2009
    Once Ramona and Judy arrived at the beach, Ramona set her stuff down on a towel, and motioned for Judy to do the same. She walked closer to the shore, letting the tide wet her feet, before swimming out farther so she was submerged up to her chest. She smiled and looked up at the sky, which look just like the skies on earth. I guess we're not too different....
    edited August 2009
    Solandra gently placed her towel on the sand and placed her hands over her brow, blocking the sunshine. She looked around the beach, most of it was littered with the various races of Necros, but, one group caught her eye. A young girl and an older woman walked out onto the beach, looking rather human, "Well, it'd be nice to socialize with someone besides that barbarian." She sighed as she thought of Miguel. She set her purse onto her towel and followed the young girl into the water.

"Excuse me? You're from Earth?" She called to Ramona, standing behind her in the water.
    edited August 2009
    Ramona turned around to see a blond girl looking at her. She looked to be in her late teens or early twenties. "Yes. I'm human." The older girl probably wanted to talk to someone she could relate to, and Nick did say that would happen.