If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Heroes of Might and Magic V

2»

Comments

• valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I actually saw it in a store. I did some looking around and it turns out it was the Limited Edition I was talking about. I know Amazon has it listed for $20US, but do you think that it's worth $28CDN because that's what the store was selling it at.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2009
    AH. I see now.

Hmmm...it doesn't say if it includes HOMM III & IV with their respective expansion packs or not (otherwise denoted as HOMM III Complete and HOMM IV Complete). That would be an important consideration.

Many people didn't like IV. Compared to II and III, it came up a bit short in certain areas, especially AI. Personally, I liked it just fine, even if the computer was a bit silly. After all, I enjoy the exploration as much as anything else.

My personal recommendation would be to buy II and III Complete editions on GoG.com. They're relatively cheap, DRM free versions which include the expansion packs and don't require CD to play. I keep those two on my laptop which can't handle newer programs. Then, I would buy the HOMMV Complete edition for $20 USD (or whatever the canadian amount is) because that's a really good deal for HOMMV with the expansions, IMHO. If and when you HOMM IV complete for sale somewhere for under $15, then pick it up. It's really not critical or anything. (And maybe is we're real lucky, we'll get a GoG version of IV sometime soon too!)

On a side note, GoG released Might and Magic I through IV for $10 total. If you're into retro PCRPG, this bundle is a steal!!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I would expect IV Complete to show up on GoG at some point in the near future. V is available on Steam which is worth considering.

EDIT: I think the "Complete" version was a limited time thing only done in Europe (the joys of a European publisher). Unless there's a new "Complete" edition that also contains the expansions for V that I'm not aware of. If I recall correctly, the "Limited" Edition gets you:

Heroes V
    Heroes III and IV (no expansions sad.gif)
    The OST on a DVD (why???)
    A special aura for your hero when adventuring on the map (I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an ini file hack somewhere).

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I'll look into getting HOMM 2 and 3 on GoG.com.
    I also have a question about Steam. How does Steam's DRM work? Because that will probably be the deciding factor on whether or not I buy it on there or in disc form.
    edited September 2009
    Most steam games have only basic Steam DRM...which kinda works like this...

Your steam games are tied into your login with Steam, similar to an MMO. When you login into steam with your login, you can download, install and play your games with no hassle. By default, once installed, Steam boots whenever you connect to the internet and logs you in. It then automatically keeps your games patched and up to date.

If, for whatever reason, you are NOT online, you can still play those games in "offline" mode. Steam will detect the lack of internet connection and ask if you want to start in offline mode. Offline mode requires no log in. However, I have read generalized complaints that some people are having issues getting some games to work in offline mode. I have not had those issues myself, aside from obvious made-for-online play games.

Some games on Steam have an install limit, however. That's not something Steam likes to do, but some publishers (I think its the publishers) insist on using a SecureRom type scheme to limit the number of installs for the products. When they do, it is usually listed on the game page in steampowered.com. I did not see that note for HOMMV, so I'm pretty sure it lacks that draconian form of DRM.

In conclusion, I will tell you that while I abhor any form of DRM (hence why I'm a big fan of GoG), I'm OK with Steam. I'm able to put my Steam games on all of the computers in my house with no hassle, really. Having to login like an MMO before I play a game is a fair enough tradeoff to having to hunt for the disc. I, personally, haven't had any problems with Offline mode, which is important for those times I want to play with my laptop in a no-internet zone (or whenever I'm too lazy to login tounge2.gif) I bought a few games for my wife on my login. I d/l'd, installed them, and then put the Steam client there into permanent "Offline" mode (there's a setting) so that she doesn't knock me offline when she plays. Again, no problems here.

As a final note, I did notice the steam price for HOMMV complete with expansions is $40. That seems quite high compared to Amazon's price of $20! If they were the same price, I'd choose the steam version just to not have to deal with discs...but $20 difference? Ouch!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited September 2009
    As a final note, I did notice the steam price for HOMMV complete with expansions is $40. That seems quite high compared to Amazon's price of $20! If they were the same price, I'd choose the steam version just to not have to deal with discs...but $20 difference? Ouch!
    That is the one downside of digital distribution. No physical media means no shelf-space which means the concept of "clearance" sales is tossed out. Which is a reality no matter how much trumpeting Valve does of the "deep weekend discount sale" they do with TF2 and L4D.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2009
    *updated*
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited October 2009
    I hear ya, 7th. I didn't run into that bug myself. I did get stuck on C5 M3....but that's another story.

There's no doubt the game takes time. Exploration is a major part of the game. Like yourself, however, I've found it harder and harder to get that time given my other responsibilities. In most HOMM games, including V (if memory servers) you can turn off a lot of the animation which increases the overall game speed substantially.

I've lost a board before that I spent a lot of time on. But once that's happen, I usually turn off all animations, and just zip through it real fast ("Real Fast" in a HOMM game might mean an hour and a half instead of three or four hours). Another big thing with HOMM games (more so than most RPGs) is that you want to have multiple save points so you don't have to start all the way over if you miss something important.
    edited October 2009
    I decided to fire this back up for a few minutes tonight. First, it took me a month of Sundays to download and install all the patches. And, you have to install them incrementally, mind you, cuz they never bothered to release a cumulative patch.

Anyway, Seventh, I don't know if you noticed this...but they do have a very nice auto fight mode. Most (if not all) HOMM games allow you to resolve combat instantly. In fact, in HOMM2 or 3, I believe, I would use auto combat a lot until the final battle. If a random battle drew too many loses in auto combat, I'd reload. Loading was fast in those games anyway, and I had auto save for every turn.

HOMMV goes one step better. If you turn on auto combat, it actually gives you the choice to replay the battle manually after showing you the results of autobattle. That's nice!! Very convenient!! I dare say, by choosing higher movement / animation speeds, and auto battling the small battles, you could replay that board pretty fast.
    edited October 2009
    I decided to fire this back up for a few minutes tonight. First, it took me a month of Sundays to download and install all the patches. And, you have to install them incrementally, mind you, cuz they never bothered to release a cumulative patch.
    I know! That was so annoying. It makes encountering the game-ending bug an extra kick in the groin.

The slow pace has gotten to me enough that I am going to mess with various ways to make the game faster. I hadn't tried autobattle at all. With the necromancer I can win most battles without losing a single unit (yay Raise Dead!) and I just assume the autobattler will chip away at my army over the course of the stage. If it lets me reject the autobattle's offer, I'll definitely give it a whirl.
  • PandaPanda Member Full Members
    edited October 2009
    These old-fashioned PC games do require a different mindset in saving; you should always keep several different saves.

Genre definitions are always difficult. I personally think the heart of RPGs is going on an adventure, the exploration of the unknown. Character levels and other statistics running in the background are the technical aspects of the genre, but I think adventure is the spirit. That's why I don't see an RPG about football to be an RPG at all. And that's why I think HoMM is more of an RPG than FFT. Even though it's very strategic, it also has that adventure and exploration aspect to it.
    edited October 2009
    *short update*
    edited January 2010
    Going to have this thread put down. I don't see myself going back to HoMM 5 anytime soon, and it's a game RPGamer doesn't cover anyway.

I got my butt handed to me late in the current stage I'm in, then DAO came out, then I moved and didn't unpack my desktop right away, and now it's been so long I really don't feel like picking the game back up again.