If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

ArdeaArdea MemberFull Members
edited January 2003 in Site & Forum Support
A friend of mine called recently joined our lovely messageboards, and has come up against a rather strange phenomenon. All the Topic and Member names on her computer show up like this: ??????.

Her Profile and other buttons are also showing up in this strange, unreadable fashion.

She would ask for help herself; but due to the problem mentioned she can't read the Forum titles... and due to the recently added Fourth Rule this would not be a Good Thing to start off her time here.

She is running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6. Thoughts as to why this is happening, anyone?
Heron Heron Heron

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I would assume that it's an issue with either her language setting or character encoding. This might be changeable from IE's Internet Options dialogue, from the Languages... button near the bottom (Tools menu- Internet Options; Also accessible from the Windows Control Panel). Another possible fix would be changing settings in Windows' Regional and Language Options control panel.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited January 2003
    Tell her to MAKE SURE her IE is reading this page as English.

Menu she needs to mess with: Edit/Encoding (in IE, don't ask me about NS). Should be on Unicode or English.

Otherwise...SHADOWCAT! GET OVER HERE!

...that should do it.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"and due to the recently added Fourth Rule this would not be a Good Thing to start off her time here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not flaming other posters is a newly added rule? eh.gif
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Okay, I admit it, I can't count properly. That's what happens when you post late at night and don't actually type what you mean. I think I got 'fourth' from the fact that there are now four topics in the 'Announcements' forum. Either that, or my brain is disconnecting from reality. This is Not Good.

I'll pass on that advice. Thank you very much. smile.gif
    Heron Heron Heron
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I really think the problem is the language settings...Have her put set it to western english or unicode....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • ErunameEruname New Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Hi, I am Ardea's friend that she was trying to help. ?I started randomly going to topics recently updated and luckily found this (since I can't read the topics). ?The language settings are not the problem. ?My language is set to English but I do not have a way to set the language to unicode as some have suggested.

Is this site possibly using a font that I do not have on my computer? ?It's only a guess...I've never had this problem before.

Thanks in advance for all of ya'lls help. ?I'm sorry to bother you with this problem, but I'd like to participate in this board. ?Technically I can at this point, but its not exactly easy.

EDIT: HURRAY!!!! I got the problem fixed! Apparently it was a font problem. I went to Tools, the accessibility, and turned on the "ignore font styles specified on web pages" and Viola!...everything was readable.

Again, thanks for the help. It did help lead me in the right direction. I'll see you all in the boards! smile.gif

• maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited January 2003
    Yer welcome. Always glad to help(or holler for my computer tech bro)
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume you can't read the story titles on the RPGamer home page either, right? This has to do with some changes Microsoft made to IE 5 (or was that 5.5) and has kept through the current version.

In order to see a "non-standard" font in IE 5+, even if its installed on your computer, you must have the IE web font pack (or something like that) installed. You can get it from Windows sUcksPdate if you're running windows, I'm not about Macs (or even if the problem exists with IE for mac)
  • guifaguifa Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Said IE bug is not existant as far as can tell on IE:Mac. Actually, IE:Mac is more standards compliant that its PC compliment (minus some Unicode stuff that drives me insane).