If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tiger Attack

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited September 2009 in Site & Forum Support
Get the raid - we've got tigers in our avatars!
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    What the dickens?!!? This isn't my Cactavatar!

Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I've defeat my tiger with an overly adorable puppy.
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited September 2009
    My back-up plan was a rope trap with a sandwich in it.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Well, at least it's much cuter than the last two.

Get moving on vBulletin already! >:(

• shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Spyro: Uh oh...here we go again!
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited September 2009
    I know. I know.

<span class="ME">maryadavies gets her Princess Garnet ava off her photobucket. For the third time.</span>
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited September 2009
    <--I think Hibiki's stressed-out look here expresses my feelings fairly well.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited September 2009
    If I strip my avatar off completely, will I be spared this madness?
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    At least it's a reference I enjoy this time.
  • lithoroselithorose Fire! Fire! Meiuuu! Full Members
    edited September 2009
    It's also useful to see how often people log in (or don't log in)... not that that's very useful. tounge2.gif
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2009
    If I strip my avatar off completely, will I be spared this madness?
    Unfortunately, no. When this happens, the default "blank" is replace by whatever icon has bugged out. It should be reset again shortly.
    edited September 2009
    iF you suck! >_<

This is what, the third time this year?
    edited September 2009
    iF you suck! >_<

The third time ever.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited September 2009
    iF you suck! >_<

The third time ever.
    Does being "Chris from Scotland" count as a forth? (It was just as bad.)
    edited September 2009
    iF you suck! >_<

The third time ever.
    Does being "Chris from Scotland" count as a forth? (It was just as bad.)
    I'm pretty sure that was the firs time. We've had a Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy I, and now Calvin and Hobbs bug.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2009
    Hey, isn't that Ethan's avatar? This is his doing! It's his way of telling us all he's been behind the forum bugs all along!
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • [Unknown][Unknown] Member Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Considering it only started recently, it could be a browser (such as Chrome or something) that is getting more popular. Or it may have to do with using tabs (e.g. logging out in one tab and then saving your avatar in the other.)

It really shouldn't be that hard to fix. Has anyone actually bothered asking the ikonForum people about it?
    (speaking as a past developer of forum software here.)

-[Unknown]
    edited September 2009
    Last I heard from Mary, ikonforums was abandonware. Either that or the project it downstreams from
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited September 2009
    From what I found out, yes it's abandonware.

Oh and btw. Silktail; I'll go ahead and get rid of the last remmant of "Chris from Scotland" for you. I'll go wipe that "Unregistered" title right off. (Don't ask me for a title though. I won't give anyone one unless you were awarded a title BEFORE you could earn the right to set one yourself by posting, you have to earn it.)

If anyone else wants that done, feel free to PM me and ask.

My personal page
    edited September 2009
    I have a hunch that his title was created as UNREGISTERED when he created his account. Considering his low post count it's possible he registered *after* the latest board glitch.
    edited September 2009
    Okay, well, it appears that the problem is probably a race condition.

I think it's worth fixing this as a temporary solution, it's annoying.

I could be wrong, but basically it has a config file (Tableinfo.cgi) that tells it to put the WHERE clause on the query that updates avatars, titles, etc. If for some reason this file doesn't load (too many open files, race condition while being updated, etc.) then there is a potential that it would run the UPDATE without a WHERE clause.

Personally, I think this is relatively poor design, but I'm sure the developer thought it was "snazzy."

I would patch the problem as follows:

Open cgi-bin/Sources/iDatabase/mySQL.pm, and find:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="CODEHEAD">Code Sample:</div><div class="CODE clearfix">sub update {</div></div>

And then, look before that for:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="CODEHEAD">Code Sample:</div><div class="CODE clearfix">$obj->load_cfg($IN->{'TABLE'}) if $IN->{'TABLE'};</div></div>

Ugh, Perl. Anyway, I would add after that:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="CODEHEAD">Code Sample:</div><div class="CODE clearfix">die "Temporary problems. Please try again." unless ($IN->{'TABLE'} ne 'member_profiles' || $obj->{'cur_p_key'});</div></div>

Also, for good measure, just a tiny bit lower down:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="CODEHEAD">Code Sample:</div><div class="CODE clearfix"> }

$db_query .= " SET ".join(", ", @fields);.$statement;</div></div>

Replace with:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="CODEHEAD">Code Sample:</div><div class="CODE clearfix"> }

die "Temporary problems. Please try again." if ($IN->{'TABLE'} eq 'member_profiles' && $statement !~ /WHERE `?MEMBER_ID/);

$db_query .= " SET ".join(", ", @fields);.$statement;</div></div>

As always, I can only suggest you make a backup before making any changes. Even if something goes wrong, it couldn't do any worse than prevent people from updating their profiles or posting; if this happens, restore the backup file.

To explain what's happening above, all queries to update an avatar (or any profile for any reason) go through this function. If for any reason it wouldn't put a proper WHERE clause on the query (which there are chances it could), this outputs an error message. Better than nothing.

Since I can't reproduce the problem myself, I can't guarantee this fixes it. However, it seems like the most likely cause - there's only two places that update avatars, and they both look solid except in this function.

Further debugging could be done by simply logging all queries to a file and waiting for it to happen again.

-[Unknown]
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited September 2009
    Hmmm... I have looked over this and decided to give it a try. I can see what you mean about the statements being badly designed. I'm curious about your experience with this code. Have you worked with it before?

Thanks for the tip. I hope that it works. smile.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited September 2009
    Hmmm... I have looked over this and decided to give it a try. I can see what you mean about the statements being badly designed. I'm curious about your experience with this code. Have you worked with it before?

Thanks for the tip. I hope that it works. smile.gif
    I wrote most of SMF. The general architecture of forum software is all mostly the same, and ikonForums seems very similar to YaBB (which I'm also familiar with) in some ways.

Anyway, telling developers what they did wrong is part of what I do for a living, heh.

If it fails again, I'll look into it deeper.

-[Unknown]

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2009
    There we go: another day, another AV.

Everyone, say hello to Akane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited September 2009
    I hope this patch lasts long enough to hold us over until vB.

Once we switch over I wouldn't mind if everyone's tiger avs and UNREGISTERED titles were purged without messing up anyone else.

I think a well written query or two could do the trick

• silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited September 2009
    I have a hunch that his title was created as UNREGISTERED when he created his account. Considering his low post count it's possible he registered *after* the latest board glitch.
    Who me? I was around for all those bugs and just haven't post very much since then.
    I.e. You should be able to see "Joined: Feb. 2009" under my avatar. While the Star Ocean avatar happened in March. Chris from Scotland was April. And FF-Fighter was August.

Otherwise I think new members have "No Information Entered" instead, which puts nothing in their visible title. (Unless that was a different change made much later on.)

Talking of titles, my thanks to maryadavies for awarding me the <span style="text-decoration:underline">underscore</span> title. smile.gif
    edited September 2009
    Hehe. that was the original title before the bugs if you haven't earned one! I just cleared it out.

If anyone else needs it cleared out let me know. Darn software doesn't run scripts, or we would of cleared it already.
    My personal page
    edited September 2009
    No but I'm sure that you could run an SQL shell or something and run a direct UPDATE query on the db.

It would be pretty deep voodoo though...

edited September 2009
    No but I'm sure that you could run an SQL shell or something and run a direct UPDATE query on the db.

It would be pretty deep voodoo though...
    Err, mostly it would just be something like: (if I'm reading the schema correctly...)

UPDATE if_member_profiles
    SET MEMBER_TITLE = '_', LAST_UPDATE = UNIX_TIMESTAMP()
    WHERE MEMBER_TITLE = 'UNREGISTERED';

That's not really Voodoo. I mean, you can basically read it.

-[Unknown]
    edited September 2009
    I call it voodoo because it breaks abstraction and goes directly to SQL.