The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Xenogears - Love it or Hate it?

EddEdd MemberFull Members
edited January 2003 in Role Playing Games
I just finished Xenogears, having FINALLY got my hands on it, and I personnally love it to bits, I rate it 2nd best RPG of all time, after Chrono Trigger. But, having read around and heard all its VERY mixed reviews <going into the 'most over rated RPGs ever post you'd think NO-ONE likes Xenogears> I am aware that it hasnt been recieved that way by everyone, what do you think?

Comments

• AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I'm playing it right now. I LOVE it! Just discovered the speed card game...woohoo...my kind of thing!

What's not to like? The story's good, the characters are good, the music's good, the gameplay is fun. It's definitely in my top 5.
  • UncleGamerRPGUncleGamerRPG Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I thought it was great, Good story, Realistic characters with problems that made them seem more alive. The story was really confusing at times "<span class="spoiler">I still don't get the quick flashback part where child fei sees elly in a tube...something about mother?</span>" but still a good game. too much god but still a good game
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I loved the game for it's realistic characters, amazing plot, cool battle system and well....robots. I kinda liked the religious
    references to God and stuff too.
  • EddEdd Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Yes, the card game rocks large amounts and is incredibly addictive. Got to love the captain of the Thames.
    The characters aren't over the top but are still interesting and varied enough to hold interest and evoke emotion.

As for what's not to like, a lot of people feel disc 2 ruins the whole game cos of large sections of narration and cut scenes, rather than free gameplay. Personally, tho i feel it could have been done better, I do think it fit in well with the tone of the story at that point as muched has changed....... but i wont spoil since u havent got there yet.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    After the first disk, I thought "This is the best RPG I have ever played, even better than my beloved FF6." The second disk changed that perception for the worse, but I still love the game greatly.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Actually, a lot of the first disk bored me, but I loved the second disk. Weird, huh? alien.gif
  • oneputzoneputz New Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    After the first disk I didn't care if the whole story was told on a blank screen with text tounge.gif ?..errr anyways it was still a great game. With a better out of gear battle system and if the production wasn't rushed it could probably have been my favorite game..
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I loved xenogears, i am very excited about xenosaga. The only problem i had was that at some points i kind of lost interest but i dont really know why

100th post yay!!

• edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Edd @ Jan. 22 2003,15:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I rate it 2nd best RPG of all time, after Chrono Trigger.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, we have something in common!

I loved Xenogears. It brought an atmosphere that felt so much like the old-school traditional sci-fi anime, and that was one of the features that got me hooked since I'm such a big fan. Xenogears went downhill on Disc 2, I'll admit that, but most people were completely turned off by it, but not me. Although there were better ways to approach the story, it didn't ruin my overall love for the game.

I also found the mini-games quite fun. While the real-time gear combat felt totally like an incomplete fighting game, it was still fun. The card game was great too... 100% inspired by the real-life game of Speed, a game that I'm very used to.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I'm rather indifferent to Xenogears. I didn't enjoy the first few hours, and I never played any of the rest. Obviously, I'm not qualified to judge the game.
  • WindWind Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I love Xenogears. It is my third favorite PS1 rpg behind Lunar Eternal Blue and Lunar Silver star Story. I loved the character designs, the character development, the anime look and feel to the game, the gears ( giant mecha in a traditional rpg smile.gif ), the way the battles were done, the music and last but not least I loved the story, it was so deep and complex, it grabbed my attention right from the get go.

That's not to say that Xenogears did not have it's fare share of faults, right from the very start I had issues with the colours used in the game, the sea looked balck instead of blue, the forest sections came out looking a very drab shade of green and don't get me started on the desert, soo much sand. I would have thought that game with such a strong anime style would be more colourful, I guess I was wrong.

Also much like everyone else I was a little shocked at how different disc 2 was to disc 1, I did not take very well to the lack of a world map for the majority of disc 2, the way the game gave you no option to explore the 'new' world at least not untill moments before entering the last or the way the story suddenly shifted up a couple of gears and all the questions that you had been asking yourself in disc 1 were being answered so quickly that you did not have time to take it all in.
  • edited January 2003
    I love that game being one of my favorites PS1 rpg's. The whole story and the game engine was great.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I wouldn't say I loved it, but I did like it. I hated how slow the text would go at times, and how long the story would go at points. The game was fun to play, and the story was very good. Just got too long for me to love it.

• edited January 2003
    xenogears.jpg
  • NinaNina Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    [email="LOL@PussInBoots...tad"]LOL@PussInBoots...tad[/email] obnoxious ne?
    From what i played of this one, i loved! I loved the characters (Fei got on my nerves but i dont hate him) and the story concept...one day i will play ALL of it...
  • MithrandirMithrandir Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I have yet to play this game, although I voted a tentative "Love It", because that is what I am expecting of this game. I've seen a lot of pictures in magazines and on the web, and I've read a few articles about it, and it sounds great. I loved Xenogears, although it took me awhile to get into the game.
    Another thing I like about this game is the fact that it's apparently attempting long term continuity, with this being the first of a six game series. I'm looking forward to eventually playing all six titles in the series. I wonder if they'll eventually do a remake of Xenogears, when they get that far along in the series?
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mithrandir @ Jan. 25 2003,03:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have yet to play this game, although I voted a tentative "Love It", because that is what I am expecting of this game. ?I've seen a lot of pictures in magazines and on the web, and I've read a few articles about it, and it sounds great. ?I loved Xenogears, although it took me awhile to get into the game. ?
    Another thing I like about this game is the fact that it's apparently attempting long term continuity, with this being the first of a six game series. ?I'm looking forward to eventually playing all six titles in the series. ?I wonder if they'll eventually do a remake of Xenogears, when they get that far along in the series?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Er, never mind parts of that last post. I mistook this for a poll about Xenosaga. Sorry about any confusion.
    I love this game. Xenogears has one of my favorite video game stories of all time. I would like to elaborate on what about the plot I particularly liked, but, well, I'm a newbie to the Rpgamer boards, and have not quite learned how to mark spoilers. Let's just say that if Square released a well written novelization of Xenogears, I'd buy it instantly. No waiting for paperback for this one.
    Can't forget the fighting system. Also a favorite of mine. Start out with a small amount of stamina points to perform combos, and gain more stamina as the game progresses. I really preferred the ground battles to the Gear battles in this game, because with the Gears combos are mostly absent. I also liked the character sprites better than the Gears.
    Some of the music could get annoying, although only one song comes to mind. The music that plays in the first desert town, Kislev(? I very well could be wrong, it's been three years since I played this game) really got on my nerves. Other than that, this game rules.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mithrandir @ Jan. 25 2003,03:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I would like to elaborate on what about the plot I particularly liked, but, well, I'm a newbie to the Rpgamer boards, and have not quite learned how to mark spoilers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Enclose whatever text you wish with (spoil) and (/spoil), except with brackets [] instead of parentheses. Clicking on the spoiler button before and after you type the text will do it as well. To read material marked as a spoiler on most browsers, simply highlight it. If you use some versions of Opera, you'll have to either copy and paste the text or toggle to the user stylesheet (Ctrl+G).
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    It's funny. I'm using the Mac version of IE 5, and when I select spoilers, they're still to close to the background color (or something) for me to read. I always just pasted them into Simpletext if I really wanted to read them. It's actually kinda useful - I can't accidentally read a spoiler if I'm selecting to scroll down or something.
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    XENOGEARS RULES!!!!!!!!!!
  • adar_gadar_g Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    Xenogears = best game ever
    edited January 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Jan. 25 2003,08:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Enclose whatever text you wish with (spoil) and (/spoil), except with brackets [] instead of parentheses. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, thanks. I figured mentioning my ignorance would lead to someone enlightening my on the subject, and you've proven me right. Thanks for the information.
  • Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    As many of you may know, I'm one of the biggest Xenogears fans in exsistence. The combination of an outstanding story with superb characterization was more than enough to make it my number one fav RPG ever. The only flaw in my eyes is the cramming of a huge story into one game, the effects of which killed the gameplay of the second disc. This does make me hopeful for the future, however, as the Xeno series under Namco promises to tell this amazing story with far greater depth and detail.
  • RuinRuin Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I love Xenogears. It's not my favorite RPG, but I definitely think it's the best you can get - Far superior to Chrono Trigger.
  • appleyukariappleyukari Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    I LOVE xenogears! It's a great game to play~!! hee...I don't know wat to say about it, but realy, I LOVE IT! Character designs are great PLUS GREAT MUSIC!! >o<
  • EddEdd Member Full Members
    edited January 2003
    well, i guess that settles that one then! Xenogears is as loved as it deserves!