If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Shiniest Say Anything Thread

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    We do, it's called Lost Odyssey. Seriously. Amazing.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Eh. Lost Odyssey comes closest, I'll grant you that. But it's not great, just good.

It did do quite a bit right, but fell short in some fairly important areas. Character customization was deeply flawed, for one. And everyone consistently states that the 1000 Years of Dreams segments were better story-wise than the rest of the game (meaning a five minute PowerPoint presentation essentially is better than the CG cinematics of the main game).
    [url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • StormofSwordsStormofSwords Crazed Bullet Miser Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Lost Odyssey was real good, but you're right, there are not nearly enough traditional RPG's this generation.

No Xenosaga's or FFXII's or Persona 3's...It's a little bleak.

Plenty of great action/adventure games though.

Tales of Vesperia is also a very good Action Adventure RPG, if Tales is your cup of tea.
    Madness is a complete statement. Saying more would be pointless.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited December 2009
    LO had Cooke and Mack, it is good for not much other than personal irritation. And I played through Faselei!

edit: The best part of the game was the Shadow Hearts level.

• ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited December 2009
    If we're talking action RPGs, I'm having a much better time with Magna Carta 2 than I did with Tales of Vesperia (or Lost Odyssey for that matter). It doesn't seem to have garnered much attention, which I assume is due to the panning the first games received. I got it for Xmas over Borderlands and right now I'm really satisfied with the choice. Not exactly traditional but certainly worth a go-around.
  • shentinoshentino Member Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Do MUDs count as RPGs?
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2009
    That was the original idea, at least. I think it depends which ones you're playing.

• bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited December 2009
    I think i need to hurt you Jeff. FF12 was one of the worst games I've played since Magna Carta. MMORPG mechanics have no place in an RPG. It was like a lazy mans action RPG, except no where near as well done then say Dragon Age.

Anyways, now off to work, on this glorious 40 degree (celcius) day, sarcasm included.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited December 2009
    I've gotta add that FFXII was a disaster for me as well. It's an effin shame that Tales of the Abyss, along with getting no advertisement whatsoever, was utterly overshadowed by the snoozefest that was Final Fantasy XII. Opinions though, just opinions. sleeping.gif
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited December 2009
    Did...did somebody say something about breast? I missed the part about the breast.
    edited December 2009
    Eh, no need for me to give a rebuttal, my arguments for the greatness of FFXII are well-known in these parts, I think.

As are my constant reminders that the often-derided so-called "MMORPG" elements are entirely optional and the game can, in fact, be played exactly like every other ATB Final Fantasy game, with the exception that there are no random encounters.

[url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
    edited December 2009
    If you want an MMO that sucks, try Run Escape. Let's just say I don't spell it like that for nothing.
    edited December 2009
    Ezio is nothing more than a VCR!! Man for once a "twist" ending in a video game improved the experience for me.
    edited December 2009
    Iron Towers have released a combat demo for indie RPG Age of Decadence. Seems like kind of a weird way to show off a game that supposedly emphasises role playing and non-combat quest solutions, but whatever.

edited December 2009
    Age of Decadence is an awesome name for a game. That a PC game or what?
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, PC. You won't need a gaming PC to play it though; as you may have guessed from the screenshots the system requirements are rather modest.
    edited December 2009
    If we're talking action RPGs, I'm having a much better time with Magna Carta 2 than I did with Tales of Vesperia (or Lost Odyssey for that matter). It doesn't seem to have garnered much attention, which I assume is due to the panning the first games received. I got it for Xmas over Borderlands and right now I'm really satisfied with the choice. Not exactly traditional but certainly worth a go-around.
    I had an absolute blast with the game, which caught me off guard, because I had a fully formed opinion that it would suck aside from the visuals. A very, very fun game that didn't get much attention tragically.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited December 2009
    Age of Decadence is an awesome name for a game.
    Would be even better if it fit the game.

"You learned BULIMIA."
    edited December 2009
    Age of Decadence is an awesome name for a game.
    Would be even better if it fit the game.

"You learned BULIMIA."
    I think I just died. Funniest post ever biggrin.gif
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited December 2009
    My local NBC affiliate just had a story about the highlights of the year in videogames. They gave honorable mention to MOH: Modern Warfare 2, Assains Creed 2, and Uncharted 2. However, their highlights? Ahem... DJ Hero and Brutal Legends. I know I haven't been the most up to date gamer out there (replaying Chrono Trigger DS for the upteenth time), but seriously? Two of the biggest BOMBS of the year are the highlights? Remember, NBC is dead last in broadcast ratings. Hell, I think there are parts of the country where CBC is kicking their butts. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
    edited January 2010
    Um, DJ Hero is awesome. I'm having a blast with it.

The negativity stems from people who picked it up thinking they'd be awesome at it right out of the box, when in reality it's entirely different from playing Guitar Hero.
    edited January 2010
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! (from the East Coast of the United States)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Happy New Year!!!! ^_^
    edited January 2010
    I would really like to replay MGS1. Twelve years old or not, that game is great. Great atmosphere, great gameplay...The worst of the 4, definitely, but still great.
  • kittenofthepackkittenofthepack It bes a cat hat! Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Happy New year, to all you crazy people.
    edited January 2010
    I would really like to replay MGS1. Twelve years old or not, that game is great. Great atmosphere, great gameplay...The worst of the 4, definitely, but still great.
    Well, I'm pretty ambivalent toward the series in general; I don't believe it deserves nearly the amount of praise that's heaped upon it. But I'd say 1 and 3 are tied for best of the series, with 2 trailing in the distance and Movie Gear Solid 4 a little behind that.
    edited January 2010
    1 is definitely the best. I haven't played 4 yet, but I still believe that they started off stronger than they could keep up with. I appriciate 3 for the fact that it is a step back that included mechanics more believable (no nanites, no fancy bone reading radio, no genetically marked virus') and a story that helps to expand on not only the MGS series, but the first two Metal Gears. 2 was garbage, comparatively. And what the hell was up with having the katana only at the end!? That was my favorite weapon. Oh, and <span class="spoiler">the ghosts of the founding fathers secretly still running the country? What the BLEEEEEEEEEEP!? It went from awesome sci-fi military series to wanabe Twilight Zone.</span> Oh, and Raiden sucked. As far as I can see, they did something good with him for MGS4.

Oh, and after seeing scenes for God of War 3, I can now officially say something I have not said in the past 4 years. I want a PS3 now. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Sick. Ear infection. Toothache. Staying in bed. Nuff said.

Sorry to the fine folks at Dragon's Delve.

• OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Sick. Ear infection. Toothache.
    Damn, that sounds like hell. You know I own a hammer... You want me to put you down. confused.gif
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • RainaRaina Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Get well soon Shentino. Being sick is never fun. =( I am resting with a heating pad on my back. I slipped on some ice this morning in the driveway. All that's really bruised is my ego and my back. I'm just going to take it easy and curse myself for being so freakin' clumsy.