If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIII

Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited March 2010 in Staff Review Blogs
Well, the impression only covers the first 2 hours of the game, and a lot of the more interesting parts of the system are added just after that point. Time to blog, I suppose.

1-- The Optima System

Every character has a set of roles in which they can level. These include Fighter, Blaster, Defender, Healer, and Enhancer. At least those are the ones I have so far. Each role has a separate section on the Crystarium menu (sort of like the Sphere Grid).

In battle, you can choose from different battle tactics called Optima. This determines the role each in-party character has, and thus what skills are immediately available.

2-- Visuals

I reset my PS3 for SD mode, and the text is a little easier to see. It's still small though, and my eyes are still incredibly myopic, but it's better than it was before.

The camera can also be switched to a wide-view, which has helped me with navigation in wider areas, but it's still unwieldy in the narrow spaces.

3-- Summons

The battles to get the summons on your side are a bit weird and hard to get a handle on at first, but using them in battle? That rocks. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the programmers made it so you can't use them every single battle. Summoning takes Tactical Points (3 TP to be exact), and right now my max is 5.

Comments

• ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2009
    I think there are suppose to be a total of six Optima. I guess the last one comes with the final party member.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2009
    Right now I only have access to two, but my party options are a little limited due to narrative splitting.
    edited December 2009
  • MegaLink1MegaLink1 Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2009
    I think there are suppose to be a total of six Optima. I guess the last one comes with the final party member.
    You can actually set up your optimas to suit your play style. All you need to do is select Blaster/Healer/Attacker/Enhancer/etc. for the different party members in your team and you're good to go.

Yeah, I agree with Gaijin about the terrible camera controls. From what I have seen so far, they never fixed that problem... Final Fantasy XII's camera controls are much better than Final Fantasy XIII's are for some strange reason...

One correction from a previous post, it looks like you can actually unlock another accessory slot in the Crystarium system for the characters...possibly more?

All I can say however, is that I have never seen so many GAME OVER screens for anyone playing a RPG... I think this is one of the biggest reasons why some of my friends have been complaining as much as they have. With absolutely no levels and being forced to be reliant on the Crystarium system and weapon and accessory upgrades that are extremely hard to do because of low level items, I think I understand why this game lacks as much as it does and it has been receiving so many bad reviews..
    edited December 2009
    I'm actually enjoying the greater difficulty. I've seen maybe half a dozen non-boss-related Game Overs so far, and an average of 1.5 per boss battle (Odin is NASTY if you don't know what to do ahead of time).

About accessories, I've been able to unlock an extra slot on Hope's Enhancer Crystarium grid.
    edited March 2010
    Might as well shut this one down. Even before the end of December it was obvious that the FF13 threads elsewhere on the site were going to outpace this one, and I hate spoilers as much as the next person.

For the record, I am on Chapter 12 of the game, and I have finished about 30 side missions on Grand Pulse.
This discussion has been closed.