If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon IIFull Members
edited March 2010 in Staff Review Blogs
I almost did a double-take when I saw that there was no pre-existing thread for this game. I know that we have had multiple staff members play it, but no one started a blog. Time to fix this.

I [finally] picked up this game on Boxing Day, where it promptly sat in the box until last night. I blame the Mario Bros., but fortunately they learned nothing from their last game and I grew tired of the tedious gameplay. But alas, that's for another blog, should I torture myself to write it.

With such a grinding halt of the other game, I put Clash of Heroes in my DS. Despite the pre-mentioned praises, I actually knew nothing about the game. I went through every tutorial, which made me feel confident I understood the battle system. I've also grown so scared that game developers don't know what they are doing that it shocked me when I then had to speed through the tutorials when starting the game itself. Whoops.

For those not familiar, Clash of Heroes sports a strategy-style battle system. You and the opponent line up unit types until there are three in a row, which them provokes them to do something. Otherwise, they just stand there until the enemy comes and runs them over with pointy killing things. Even mighty dragons only have a fraction of their defensive power when not activated. This was a rude surprise.

I manage to survive the tutorials again, seeing how you are set up to win. I proceed to find a sleazy bounty hunter who makes me feel I shouldn't actually work for him, but hey, he pays well. I kill people for the glory of money and exp and then proceed to breeze through the story until I find someone 3 levels higher than me and he whomps me into the ground. Eh?

Being dead makes one somewhat sleepy, so I stopped there for the night. More to come.
Founder, RPGamer
I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Member Full Members
    edited January 2010
    I'm interested in this game, but I can't find it locally, and I don't want to bother with ordering it unless it's worth it. Definitely going to be following this thread.

Edit: You didn't actually say yet whether the battle system was fun or not. I understand you died, but did you have fun battling up to that point?

[url=\"http://evilpandapirate.tumblr.com/\"]Tumblr[/url] | [url=\"http://twitter.com/EvilPandaPirate\"]Twitter[/url]
    \"FFXII doesn't really have a story to tell, and so it doesn't. FFXIII doesn't really have a story to tell, but has hours of cutscenes anyway.\" -SiliconNooB
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2010
    I almost did a double-take when I saw that there was no pre-existing thread for this game. I know that we have had multiple staff members play it, but no one started a blog.
    Guess the review made it before the blog was started. Nothing wrong with talking about it now though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2010
    As I'm writing a review for this myself, I'm curious what Mikel will think of it biggrin.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2010
    I'm just starting chapter 3 and have been hooked since I started. I've found it to be a better pick-up-and-play title than one to plow through. Addictive like Puzzle Quest, but with a soul. Not really impressive in the story front, though that is decent too, but it just blends its own personality with Puzzle Quest's addictiveness.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2010
    I'm interested in this game, but I can't find it locally, and I don't want to bother with ordering it unless it's worth it. Definitely going to be following this thread.

Edit: You didn't actually say yet whether the battle system was fun or not. I understand you died, but did you have fun battling up to that point?
    As the staff member who write the first review, I'll say it's definitely worth every penny. The battle system is just so addictive, that it's one of those games where you find yourself going "just one more battle!" a lot.

Everyone I know on staff who's played it all seem to have been enjoying it immensely, which makes me really happy because I thought I was going to be alone in loving this game. smile.gif So if you can get it, it's absolutely worth it.

edited January 2010
    Your review is why I bought it.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2010
    Your review is why I bought it.
    *blusssssshes*

Awwwww, you make me feel loved, Paws. smile.gif
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited January 2010
    After a well-deserved rest, and no longer being dead because there's a Continue option, I continued upon my merry quest to do something useful. The demons are being bad and it's my sole job to stop them!

I leave Mr. Big Meany and find the bounty hunter again.

"Hello, do you want another... job?"
    "Why do you hesitate so? Are you looking for some kind of personal pleasure type of job? Female, I might be, but I am not interested."
    "Oh, well, just go kill these people then."
    "Okay, but they better be bad people."
    "Don't worry, they are."

After talking to the hunted, they do seem a bit on the evil and crazy side, so I slay them rather easily. Well, that's what I told myself, but actually the one who wants pure power already has some significant power, so he got the best of me once. But since there's a Continue option [yet again], this will be our little secret. To everyone else, I slayed them easily. Just like I plan to do to Mr. Big Meany.

I have found my critters don't level up anymore. Wonderful. Can I get more critters? No. Wonderful. As long as this is some sort of training chapter, I guess I can live with it. If I have to waste half my exp on every chapter because my minions have eaten their fill... let's just say it won't please me. The nice and big critters aren't full, so it's not a total waste of time.

I take down Mr. Big Meany and tell him he's wrong and stupid and stop picking on us. He tells me that he's sorry, but the people who told him to come kill us, well, they still feel like killing us and he's just a peon who won't be listened to anyway. I was killed by a peon. This is going to be an awesome war.

Suddenly, a man approaches. I'm expecting a shower of riches for making Mr. Big Meany leave. I smile and greet him, but before I can even ask for my reward, he goes on about how amazing he is. Excuse me? If you're so amazing, then why did I have to defeat the mean guy? He's not even listening... then finally he stops talking, looks me over with a glint in his eye and says "Want to solve a puzzle?"

I think I hate this guy already.
    Founder, RPGamer
    edited January 2010
    Quote: wrote:
    If I have to waste half my exp on every chapter because my minions have eaten their fill... let's just say it won't please me. The nice and big critters aren't full, so it's not a total waste of time.

You will. Units max out at 5, Hero maxes out at 10. Your small soldiers will always max out; it's working to get your big guys up to 5 that can be challenging. I usually hold off on the puzzles until I have my Champion units, as it's a free level or two of EXP to feed them.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited January 2010
    Puzzled solved. Those weren't that bad, honestly. I'm sure they will get worse, but now to hunt those demons. I completely fail at using my large units. They take so long to charge that it's nearly hopeless to get them off in time. I guess that's testimony to the speed of nature! Wait, that doesn't make any sense... nature's not fast.

Anywho, finally track down the big bad demon and he went squish. Piece of cake. And this is where my story ends, because I rescued someone, who I disappear into obscurity while he does some fun stuff. I'm sure it's fun.

-- End Chapter 1 --

It's time to stop this madness. The emperor must be told of the demons' plot. I make it to the city hastily and rush the to gate. What is this? They draw their weapons and dare declare me a traitor? What is going on here? Before I can find my answers, I need to get into the city. Despite dispatching the guards, I decide it's not a good idea to head through the front gate. Better to sneak through a bad rendition of Link's sneaking into a castle. Once inside, I will seek help where I can find it. I must clear my family's name, oh, and stop the war. Also important.

I take to the inn, where the local men are clearly too drunk to recognize me. Once I have cleaned up this mess, I may have to look into hiring better guards. The bartender has grown bored with life, because he wants me to solve his puzzles. If only his puzzles were as good as his ale, he could leave this life of drudgery.

A bounty hunter? Sadly, I do need money if I'm going to build my own revolution, Hopefully the war against the elves isn't moving too quickly.
    Founder, RPGamer
  • FunctionFunction Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    wow nice your righting every single line way to go biggrin.gif

anyway this game was really fun the bosses fight are so hard for some heroes <span class="spoiler">sometimes you'll hate ur hero so much for me it was nadia I jus didnt like her army at all</span> ... but the story and the battle system are very very good