If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

White Knight Chronicles

FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon IIFull Members
edited March 2010 in Staff Review Blogs
Level-5 has come out with their latest RPG, White Knight Chronicles. While Chris has already lamented his position on the podcast, I want to have a more in-depth look into what makes or breaks this game. I am hoping that more staff will chime in with their experiences.

I've played roughly 4 hours. I got through the prologue and have minor complaints. I think the voice acting is shoddy and the pace in which they deliver their lines makes me cringe almost as much as the FFXIII international trailer. The story itself seems rather generic, but it's early. Pitting two countries against each other, when they're not the main problem, is the same plot line that many games follow, so execution here will be paramount.

The battle system feels a lot like the highly praised ATB system from Final Fantasy, yet everyone complains it takes too long. I wish you could speed up the time cycles, but I also feel that when the combos grow in size, the break will be welcome, since all combos are executed with the X button in a timing fashion. I do wish I could send the others into battle, because I want to stay ranged with a bow and magic, but I have to lead the attack to do that, so I take the first damage. I want an "go kill this" option while walking the map.

How's everyone else doing? Anyone tried online yet? I hope to open this tonight.
Founder, RPGamer
I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Comments

• Chris PrivitereChris Privitere Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited February 2010
    I've played a bit more than Mikel, and eventually I became numb to the story. <span class="spoiler">Sometime around when they do the bad imitation of Suteki da Ne, I think.</span> Now I'm just pushing on cause apparently it's short.

You're incorrect about there being timing in the combo system, try spamming X as fast as you can, your combos still work fine. It's just mashing. Also, apparently using shortswords and wearing lighter armor makes your cycle take less time. You can also send party orders by clicking in the thumbsticks. R3 to do offensive actions, L3 to do defensive. That should let you sit back.
    179811.png
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited February 2010
    I saw "spread out and attack" as my closest option to what I want, but they still wait until the enemy is engaged to fire up a hunting icon. I didn't know that about the combos, but I prefer not to just mash the button. Maybe when it's 4+ hits in a combo, sure. smile.gif
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • FunctionFunction Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I finished this game in 3 days with some online quest which you will get bored of cuz most of them takes too long to complete and your GR which allows you to get more quests will need lots of online questing. I was a mage (element magic and staff) at higer levels the dmg is sick really powerfull the only issue is the hp ofc but with heal and some buffs everything will be fine, I didnt like the story that much and with some characters you will not even understand why they joined you..

• HanaseHanase New Member Full Members
    edited March 2010
    I've played a bit more than Mikel, and eventually I became numb to the story. <span class="spoiler">Sometime around when they do the bad imitation of Suteki da Ne, I think.</span> Now I'm just pushing on cause apparently it's short.

You're incorrect about there being timing in the combo system, try spamming X as fast as you can, your combos still work fine. It's just mashing. Also, apparently using shortswords and wearing lighter armor makes your cycle take less time. You can also send party orders by clicking in the thumbsticks. R3 to do offensive actions, L3 to do defensive. That should let you sit back.
    I've also spammed X while doing combos but I've noticed if you actually time it correctly, you will do more damage than just rapidly hitting X.