If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Glory of Heracles

Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited February 2010 in Staff Review Blogs
02/08/2010

I got this title for my birthday, and after a few hours, it seems like a very simple little game. Turn-based combat, quite easy so far, but absolutely gorgeous sprite visuals.

What's really struck me as a surprise, though, is how impressive the localization is. I wasn't really expecting a lot, but Nintendo has outdone themselves. Some of the lines are just downright hilarious, and so as I continue this blog, I will be archiving a list of the best quotes I've encountered. There are three so far.

02/11/2010

It's kind of depressing that this game is so easy, because the mechanics for the combat system are impressively robust. There's a lot of depth here, but you usually don't need to use it. And the encounters where you do, it's faster and less troublesome to just escape from the battle, leaving only boss fights to really worry about.

The localization is still terrific. One great aspect of it is little phrases that character say during battle, which help to liven up the proceedings a bit. I've included a few of those quotes below.

One thing I'm really happy about is the sense of scale you get from this game. While most JRPGs have you traversing the entire planet, making the planet seem rather small when you see there are only a dozen or so towns scattering the entire world, Glory of Heracles only takes place in Greece, and it seems fairly faithful to the actual geography as well. So far I've visited Crete, Laconia, Sparta, Mycenae, and Thessaly, and am currently enroute to Athens. I also just encountered Achilles, who's on his way to Troy to fight in the war. If you're a mythology buff, the game does play fast and loose with a few elements, but it's a lot more faithful than, say, God of War.

02/11/2010 - 4:10PM

What... the... hell! <span class="spoiler">Heracles just decked a princess in the face and knocked her out cold!</span> Why doesn't Bowser ever do that?

02/11/2010 - 11:50PM

While nothing about the game really stands out as amazing, there's only one thing so far that really stands out as terrible, and that's the save system. Now, for the most part, it's terrific. You can save anywhere, in town, on the field, whatever you want. Very easy and simple. Unfortunately, you CANNOT save during dungeons. At all. If you start a dungeon, you better have at least an hour, or you may find yourself losing a lot of progress. Luckily, if you die you can just retry the battle, but that doesn't let you stop playing if you need to turn the DS off for a while. And heaven forbid your DS dies on you. Then you're definitely going to be losing a lot of playtime.

With a save-anywhere feature, it's really pretty unacceptable that you can't save for such long stretches of time. There aren't even save points.

02/12/2010

The game has now taken me out of Greece and into the city of Byblos, what is now Jubayl, Lebanon in modern times. I've also spent time in Troy (located in modern-day Turkey), and from the sounds of things I'll be moving on to Egypt in the near future, most likely Alexandria, though that's just an educated guess.

I have to say, the more I play, the more I'm finding that I really like this game. It's not spectacular in any real way, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it. I'm also really digging the soundtrack. The music has the 16-bit charm of the SNES generation, and it's as varied as games back then were as well. It seems like every few hours a new battle theme appears, and the music is constantly changing to suit the current environment. Right now it's got a sort of arabic vibe to it.

I can't imagine the game has too much left. I'm roughly 18 hours in now.

"Pit?! That doesn't even sound Greek!" - Leucos
"As serious as a staring contest with Medusa, I'm afraid." - Leucos
"We're a club of unkillable men with mysterious pasts! How can we NOT travel together?" - Axios
"Take it like a monster!" - Leucos
"Not the hair!" - Axios
"Don't be a heel, Achilles." - Eris (*groan*)
"Imagine riding behind me on a white steed beside the Aegean Sea, your arms clutching my bare torso..." - Axios
"It's quite soft, my hair. I wash it once a year, you know. Sometimes twice." - Axios
"I hear there's an African prince who can turn a small investment into a fortune. It's foolproof!" - Merchant
"This is all Greek to me. Which is fine, because I am Greek!" - Leucos

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited February 2010
    I heard about how good the localization is through word-of-mouth, what Paws said about in a podcast and the Nintendo Power review. This game was completely off my radar, but now I'm quite intrigued. I may just pick it up someday. smile.gif
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Options
    edited February 2010
    A good localization does not a good game make. That aside, I'm not sure about the game itself, since I've heard mixed opinions about it. Some criticism has been because it's too easy, but frankly, I don't consider that a flaw at all.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2010
    Thus far the problem I'm having (and Adriaan may have some insight as well) isn't that it's easy -- it's the fact it's somewhat boring unless there's a funny conversation to be had. It's just not terribly fun.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited February 2010
    This is the #6 game in the series?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2010
    Thus far the problem I'm having (and Adriaan may have some insight as well) isn't that it's easy -- it's the fact it's somewhat boring unless there's a funny conversation to be had. It's just not terribly fun.
    It's pretty easy, too. I've started just sticking to auto-battle since it's less tedious than manually selecting targets and commands. The only fights where I really have to use a strategy are bosses.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2010
    *updated*
    edited February 2010
    *updated*
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2010
This discussion has been closed.