If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Pokémon SoulSilver

OcelotOcelot is not declawedFull Members
edited April 2010 in Staff Review Blogs
Pok
Becky Cunningham, Happy Snappy RPGamer Alum
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2010
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited March 2010
    Totodile is <3

Can't wait for my copy to ship. I'll have to settle for your storytelling until then. upside.gif
    edited March 2010
    What's even better is, with the changes made to attack formulas in the D/P games, Totodile and its later forms actually perform better now than they did in the original games smile.gif
    edited March 2010
    Could I be so hopeful as to think that Feraligatr will learn Aqua Tail now? Either way, Waterfall will be quite deadly now.
    edited March 2010
    It was more like how they re-associated different moves with the Attack and Spec. Attack stats, instead of letting the move type determine the stat. In the original G/S, all water moves were associated with Spec. Attack, and the 'dile evo series was lacking in that area.
    edited March 2010
    Right, I know. Hence the excitement over physical water attacks like Waterfall and Aqua Tail. Not that I was too bothered by Feraligatr's lack of special attack in the originals, seeing as how I had a habit of sweeping the Elite 4 with a very high leveled one. Ice Punch and Surf really roasted the Champion back in the day.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, the commentary is hilarious. I can understand picking a Totodile (though I'm a Cyndaquil player myself). I would comment on your team's dependency on flying and normal, but then I realized you will pretty much slay the next gym leader while napping.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed Full Members
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, the commentary is hilarious. I can understand picking a Totodile (though I'm a Cyndaquil player myself). I would comment on your team's dependency on flying and normal, but then I realized you will pretty much slay the next gym leader while napping.
    Wasn't much else out there at the time, except rock, and I have this thing where I really don't like the starter rock Pok
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2010
    HOOTHOOT. Awwwwwww yeaaaaah!

P.S.: Ocelot, I love you. <3
    edited March 2010

Sagacity the Hoothoot knows Hypnosis. She's my go-to owl for catching wild Pok
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2010

Sagacity the Hoothoot knows Hypnosis. She's my go-to owl for catching wild Pok
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2010
    Don't worry, by level ten the little lamb will be electricuting Pokemon left and right.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2010
    I love Mareep, but mostly I love it's final evolution. I have fond memories of Ampharos decimating things in the Elite Four.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited March 2010
    Don't worry, by level ten the little lamb will be electricuting Pokemon left and right.
    Yep, finally got him to 10, and just in time for the caves full of Zubats! Ye Olden Update to come later, once I grind my team up high enough not to get embarrassed by the second gym. smile.gif
    edited March 2010
    Monday, March 15, 2010

Sideline: I've played a bit with the Pok
    edited March 2010
    I'm interested to hear how the trading systems and stuff are in this game. Did the wifi get better than Pearl's? Hmm, maybe I should try trading around. I would really like to get a gengar and alakazam.
    The wifi is pretty much exactly the same. Has to be, since HG/SS are wifi compatible with Diamond/Pearl. I did a local trade with my husband, and the long and annoying trade animation is still there, unfortunately. I'll probably be able to do a long-distance trade sometime soon, but I don't anticipate it being anything different or better than the Gen IV games.
    edited March 2010
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gooood morning, Pok
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hi, uh, thanks for hanging in there. I'm done playing Voltorb Flip... for now. The great news is that I've been able to purchase a Dratini with my game winnings! I love dragons, and I just couldn't resist this one.

Let's explore the rest of Goldenrod City now, shall we? There's a bike shop here, and they want me to ride around on one of their bikes to advertise for them. There's a Name Rater in a tent, who helps me name my Dratini Misty and my Ponyta Campolina. There's a also a radio station, and they ask me to answer some trivia questions. Once I get the questions right, they give me an upgrade to my Pok
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 2010
    Does Whitney still refuse to give you the badge at first after beating her and have to talk to one of her underling trainer before she hands it over?

I wondered how did someone like that become a Gym Leader, even with a fairly strong Miltank.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited March 2010
    I remember a sorta fanfic I dreamt up once (all my attempts at fanfics tend to turn into full-on reimaginings or sequels, btw) where all the gyms in the new area were semi-hereditary, with roots in a frontier sheriff/marshall style heritage.

That sort of thing would help explain Whitney's place as a leader, at least.
    edited March 2010
    one thing about HeartGold that I'm noticing is that I never seem to be higher in levels than the gym leaders. Maybe I'm not grinding enough but I've been lower level than all the gyms thus far. It's actually not been easy, either. Some gym leaders kill most of my team before I take down their big, bad guy.
    Yes, I think they did a good job making the gym leaders relatively challenging this time. Bugsy's Scyther was naaasty. I wish they'd made the gym underlings a bit more challenging, so they could help my Pokes level up a bit in preparation for the leader.
    edited March 2010
    These games can definitely use a small infusion of difficulty. I definitely had the easiest time with GSC games compared to the others. Anyway, I'm still waiting for my copy of Silver to arrive. My estimated delivery date is sometime next week, but it'll have been 3 days since my last updated tracking when it was in Indiana. Can't imagine it'll take longer than a day or two to get here from there, even with a couple slow days.
    edited March 2010
    These games can definitely use a small infusion of difficulty. I definitely had the easiest time with GSC games compared to the others. Anyway, I'm still waiting for my copy of Silver to arrive. My estimated delivery date is sometime next week, but it'll have been 3 days since my last updated tracking when it was in Indiana. Can't imagine it'll take longer than a day or two to get here from there, even with a couple slow days.
    The best way to preserve what difficulty exists in the HG/SS storyline is to avoid importing anybody from other games at first, and use the Pokemon you can catch in the world. I'm using this as an opportunity to raise some Pokes I've never played with before, like my Flaffy and Noctowl. The gym leaders would be major pushovers if I imported eggs of more powerful Pokes from Diamond.

(Also, I definitely recommend a Noctowl or other Pokemon with Insomnia. Seems like every other thing tries to put you to sleep in this game.)
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah the Mareep family is boss. Definitely on my list of must-haves. So can you actually import Pokes that early in the game, or do you mean trading with someone? I'd be surprised if you could import other Pokemon at the beginning of the game.
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah the Mareep family is boss. Definitely on my list of must-haves. So can you actually import Pokes that early in the game, or do you mean trading with someone? I'd be surprised if you could import other Pokemon at the beginning of the game.
    I meant having a friend with whom you can do a local wireless trade in order to grab the Pokemon from another cart. Wireless trading with a friend, either local or on-line, appears to be the only way to get Pokemon from a D/P/Pt cart onto HG/SS. Local wireless trading is available as of your first Gym town, and on-line trading is available in the third Gym town (Goldenrod).

I happen to have a husband with HeartGold, so I could trade my Diamond Pokes if I wanted to, but I decided to stick with the ones I can catch for now.

edited March 2010
    Ooookay. I suppose I'll let my Platinum dudes stew for a while. I don't think I can resist leaving my Glaceon though. Maybe I'll go breed it right now so I can have a low level one for Silver. inlove.gif
    edited March 2010
    Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wow, there are a lot of things to do in Johto after you move on from Goldenrod City. There's the Pok
    edited March 2010
    I've talked to some other trainers, and apparently I was pretty lucky. The judges are pretty random, and catching a rare bug is no guarantee of winning the contest. Sometimes your Pinsir can lose to a low level Caterpie, and you have no idea why.
    Damn Venonats always get me. Seriously, they have it out for me!

So I've bred a few Eevees and have a low level Lefeon and Glaceon ready to fulfill my dream of a hardcore Eeveelution party. Question is, should I only stick with 3 different ones including the one you get in-game? Probably, considering I still want more room in my party for some diversity. I'm thinking Ampharos, Espeon, and Ninetales along with my starter Totodile. Pineco is a pretty cool Poke that I never used before, so maybe I'll get that in somewhere if I can. I love thinking these things out ahead of time.

edited March 2010
    Heh heh. Someday I'll try running around with a full Eevee party. The darn things are so cute.

Hmm, I got a Pineco from headbutting a tree, maybe I should look into it. Never even seen one before. smile.gif
This discussion has been closed.