If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Sales Roundup

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited May 2010 in Square Enix
Courtesy of Siliconera.

Final Fantasy XIII reaches 5.55 million in sales

Arkham Asylum's Japanese sales don't surprise me in the slightest. Forget the inevitable "xenophobia" response, Japan has never liked Batman. Batman films, shows, and comics do not sell there. So Batman games not selling is not shocking to me. What is shocking is that someone still thought that was a title worth localizing in Japan.

Dissidia's sales sound, to me, like a sign that the PSP is really flagging outside Japan. One must also wonder how much more piracy there is over here. But I really blame the platform - despite being a weaker game, Kingdom Hearts clobbered it on the DS. And the DS is also a pretty piracy prone platform.

So. FFXIII sales. Comparing it to the sales of recent WRPGs, I suddenly understand why BioWare was so keen to start whining about it.
"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm... the Dissidia sales are not surprising to me at all. The game is awfull, and the PSP isn't nearly as strong outside of Japan. I love the system, but yeah. Batman is that unpopulari n Japan? Interesting...
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Japan's never been big into superheroes. Even when The Dark Knight was popular, it was a bomb in Japan.

Arkham Asylum could be the greatest game on earth, but it's still going to do as well as a Fist of the North Star game would do over here.

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited May 2010
    I believe I hit upon this when the rumors of vsXIII 360 started circulating again, but I think the biggest takeaway is that 1/3rd of the sales of XIII were on the 360. That's a pretty large indication they can't ignore MS's console if they want to publish outside of Japan right now. Or at least they can't ignore it for big-budget games that take 4 years to develop.

So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Well the problem with SE is that they need to stop taking four years to develop their major games. Major inefficiency, there.

And yeah, I'm not surprised at the lack of Japanese sales for Batman: Arkham Asylum. Like Rebo said, superheroes (the backbone of the American comic book industry) aren't huge there. I firmly expect similar results when Dragon Quest IX comes to North America.

What DOES surprise me is how poosly 358/2 days did (relatively). I thought KH was still a big franchise, so that's a tad bit of a shocker that its global sales are bested by Arkham's NA sales alone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ClixClix Former Listmaster Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Not really... KH DS is a minor spin-off with little marketing, especially in-series. I expect BBS to work better if SE markets the game as the one staring the keyblade knights featured in KHII's sneak peak.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Quote: wrote:
    Japan has never liked Batman. Batman films, shows, and comics do not sell there. So Batman games not selling is not shocking to me. What is shocking is that someone still thought that was a title worth localizing in Japan.

Proof that the people who make these kind of decisions are ignoring the fundamental data and going with the "fad". A game sells, it must sell elsewhere. I would like to know what the print run for Japan was thought. If they only made like 50k copies, then you could say they were just testing the waters.

I'm surprised superhero stuff doesn't do well in Japan. A lot of animes are superhero-type stories, they just feel different. Hmm...a lot of early comic books were pretty ridiculous and less serious than modern comic books, I wonder if those sold better in Japan?

• shoptrollshoptroll Have towel will travel Full Members
    edited May 2010
    What DOES surprise me is how poosly 358/2 days did (relatively). I thought KH was still a big franchise, so that's a tad bit of a shocker that its global sales are bested by Arkham's NA sales alone.
    First off, it's not S-E's biggest franchise. KHII only shipped 4 million copies. Second, you're comparing a DS spin-off title to a game that was sold on 3 platforms which received critical acclaim at a time when Batman is a hot property due to the recent movies. That's a very big apples to oranges comparison.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Maybe we're reading different articles. Looking at that piece, the DS Kingdom Hearts actually exceeded expectations, outselling Dissidia despite the latter being expected to best it handily.

Plus in spite of the lukewarm reception of 13 and the downright hostile Western press, it's selling on target.

They actually had an incredible year between 13 and Dragon Quest...so if they're going to learn ANYTHING from this, it's that they can take as long as they want. Because while the gamers are going to whine their heads off, they're not going to follow through and stop buying the games.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Plus in spite of the lukewarm reception of 13 and the downright hostile Western press, it's selling on target.

Didn't know an 83 (PS3) and 82 (360) Metacritic rating was indicative of a hostile press.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2010
    Seems rather generous to me.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited May 2010
    800,000+ sales for Dissidia is bad? Surely, being a PSP game, these sales justified its development cost several times over.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2010
    800,000+ sales for Dissidia is bad? Surely, being a PSP game, these sales justified its development cost several times over.

I know Square Enix were very happy with the sales and that is all that matters. They also pointed out that PSP games are many times cheaper to develop compared to HD console games.