If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ignition admits ARF translation sucks

RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway?Full Members
edited July 2010 in Role Playing Games
This has to be seen to be believed.

View here.

Well gee, whose fault is that for stealing other studio's games?!

I love how even the author of the article called out his BS in the article comments.

EDIT: The board didn't like that link - it kept converting it into junk. I just made a tinyurl version to get around this, so it should work now.

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Story has been pulled! (or link broken)
  • OyashiroOyashiro NEEDS MOAR UNDERBOOB! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I'm not getting anything from that link...

Edit - Flame beat me to it.

But I guess this is what you get for removing <span style="text-decoration:underline">YOUKNOWWHAT!</span>

Give me Underboob, or give me death!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Fixed the link.
    edited July 2010
    I may just have poor reading comprehension when it comes to PR Bull plop, but It almost feels like they are blaming XSeed. rock.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I'm not even sure who they are blaming in this.

Especially since Xseed has been known to have really GOOD localizations, so them blaming Xseed would be really odd, I have a feeling Ignition is almsot entirely to blame because although they jumped in half way through I'm sure that they made either no attempt to change it or they made every attempt.

But its really ... weird
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I think the PR person is accepting blame and not trying to blame anyone else. The excuse for failure he gives is not a good one. A company must accept responsibility for the quality of their own products.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Man, seeing this nonsense makes me so, so happy that XSEED isn't tied to Marvelous anymore.

As for the "it's just $40" rationalization, I have this to say: feces is free, but I'm not gonna play with that either. Why? Because it's crap, just like Ignition games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited July 2010
    They've been promising to do better on localization since they released Lux-Pain! And it seems they were still using Entalize to translate this game! At least this time they're promising not to use that company.

This excuse is still lame, even if they are accepting the blame for how the localization turned out. Even if their next game is much better localized, I don't think I'll be buying it. As I said before, I'm buying ARF because I've waited for this game for so long and I want to support Imageepoch.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited July 2010
    I just bet when this bombs due to all the crap involved with the localization, Marvelous will simply blame the Wii and continue not learning from their mistakes.
    edited July 2010
    I just bet when this bombs due to all the crap involved with the localization, Marvelous will simply blame the Wii and continue not learning from their mistakes.
    I was about to say, Marvelous has been so meddlesome and such a poor business partner that there was really no other way this could turn out. I'd honestly be surprised if Ubisoft, XSeed, or really anyone that isn't Ignition ever worked with them in the West again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Hah hah... "It's a crappy game, but you know... its only 40 bucks"

Good rationale douche.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited July 2010
    I was about to say, Marvelous has been so meddlesome and such a poor business partner that there was really no other way this could turn out. I'd honestly be surprised if Ubisoft, XSeed, or really anyone that isn't Ignition ever worked with them in the West again.
    As long as they make Harvest Moon, Natsume will never stop working with them.

...ironically, Harvest Moon sells great on the Wii.
    edited July 2010
    Until Ignition takes it from them, amirite? laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    There's a game called "El Shaddai"? O_o That's... akin to an F-bomb, to an Orthodox Jew. I'm pretty shocked they'd call a game that.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2010
    He didn't admit the voice acting as bad, he said that he thought some of the performances were "bad" (or more "not to peoples liking"), and that overall people are overreacting. He didn't really blame XSeed for anything either; taking up someone else's project is more difficult than starting over from scratch.

So you probably should be annoyed, but for entirely different reasons.
  • ZerkerZerker Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Not to mention there was no discussion whatsoever of the "translation" itself, as per the topic name. If I can turn off the voices and the actual text content is fine, I would still enjoy it. I had no problems with text-only in Baten Kaitos, and I even turned off the mostly-good, but sometimes bad voices in Tales of Symphonia and enjoyed that as such too.

Then again, who am I kidding? My backlog of games to play, not to mention games to buy, is so large that I'll probably never play this.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2010
    Dam they are the 4kids of videogames! Ruining everything they can! Why they picked this project up?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010
    Hah hah... "It's a crappy game, but you know... its only 40 bucks"

Good rationale douche.
    I don't think that was what he was saying at all, more like at 40 bucks you aren't really going to get top of the line voice acting, so people likely wont be expecting top of the line voice acting.

You guys are reading way too much into what he said.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    They should have just said "We dropped the ball. We admit it. We're sorry and we promise to do better next time" and moved on. Pointing fingers and making excuses just makes it worse.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2010
    I don't agree in the slightest. Seems to me like he was implying that they botched the entire gig, and was taking some of the sting out of the entire affair by using the rationale that the product doesn't cost that much, so it can be forgiven. It can't.

On the other hand, when the game comes out it might be a blast, but I don't have confidence if apologies are already being made.
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."
    edited July 2010
    I don't agree in the slightest. Seems to me like he was implying that they botched the entire gig, and was taking some of the sting out of the entire affair by using the rationale that the product doesn't cost that much, so it can be forgiven. It can't.

On the other hand, when the game comes out it might be a blast, but I don't have confidence if apologies are already being made.
    I mean he said "Overall, the voice acting I would say is on par, but maybe not the level of a Final Fantasy or a really high budget localization.”

so that really doesn't look to me like he thinks they botched the entire gig. It almost seems like an annoyed response to be honest. As in "shut up about a few clips of the voice acting, its only 39.99 you're overreacting".

Regardless I hope this is a valid discussion and the game isn't just terrible.
    sig.gif
    edited July 2010
    That's a pretty crappy way to sell your game.

"It's only $40 bucks, of COURSE the voice acting is terrible! Now fork over the cash or go play Final Fantasy!"
    edited July 2010

"It's only $40 bucks, of COURSE the voice acting is terrible! Now fork over the cash or go play Final Fantasy!"
    Yes because a random interview is how they're going to sell the game?
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010

Ignition is a small company, and it's unlikely they'll be launching any kind of major marketing campaign.

So yes, this random interview IS how they're going to sell their game.

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited July 2010

With small publishers of nitch titles, yeah... There main audience are the people that go to the trouble of reading there interviews.

EDIT- Omega beat me to the punch... down.gif

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2010

Ignition is a small company, and it's unlikely they'll be launching any kind of major marketing campaign.

yes that's why they pay their marketing department the big bucks. So that whether or not their game sells can boil down to some random probably too candid interview. tounge2.gif
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2010

yes that's why they pay their marketing department the big bucks. So that whether or not their game sells can boil down to some random probably too candid interview. tounge2.gif
    ... Are you aware of just how small Ignition actually is? They don't have "big bucks" to pay anyone. They have modest bucks to pay their marketing department. Seriously, the most vigorous ad campaign you will see for Arc Rise Fantasia will be, MAYBE, a full-page ad in Game Informer.

This isn't Square Enix or Activision or EA, or hell even ATLUS we're talking about here. It's Ignition. Plus, we already know that they spend large parts of their budget on acquiring these games in the first place, as this particular one (and others) were originally slated to be released by XSEED. They don't likely have much left for advertising.

There are 5 localization studios in Los Angeles that are in very heavy competition, as all of them focus on localizing niche Japanese games: NIS America, Atlus, XSEED, Aksys, and Ignition. NIS and Atlus are fairly large, since they're funded by their Japanese counterparts, but XSEED, Aksys, and Ignition are all located in studio offices and have roughly 20-30 employees each. They're tiny. All of them rely on the internet for free publicity, because its the only way they can get the word out. Interviews like this are vital to the success of their games.

edited July 2010
    Interviews like this are vital to the success of their games.
    This is fun. So they're super small so that makes a few comments to someone from siliconera they're major marketing for the game, and yet despite being a tiny company you're also going to bash them for having sub-par localization in a lower priced game?

If this were in an official interview promoting this game I would agree with you.

This? Is a lot of nothing.
    sig.gif
    edited July 2010
    Interviews like this are vital to the success of their games.
    This is fun. So they're super small so that makes a few comments to someone from siliconera they're major marketing for the game, and yet despite being a tiny company you're also going to bash them for having sub-par localization in a lower priced game?

If this were in an official interview promoting this game I would agree with you.

This? Is a lot of nothing.
    We can bash them, yes, because their competitors, the companies I mentioned above, do a better job on the same budget.

And if you read the original article, it wasn't a few comments from someone on Siliconera, it was an actual interview with Shane Bettenhausen, their director of acquisitions. Who also happens to be a former game reviewer for 1UP, which makes some of his comments even more silly.

• Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited July 2010
    ^That and The fact that they took ARF from one of the said better companies means they'll be getting my ire for quite some time.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs