If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

33: SUPERHERO Game

Comments

• AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Tom will try to get to the next leg on the machine, sticking to the same side, in the hopes of crippling all the same legs on the same side.
  • chiapetchiapet Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Koto ends the music; stops, drops and rolls (once out of any burning grass or whatever) and hopefully rolls out of site of Dr. Calamity.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    AGATHA STREET: Jim's Lawn
    MISSION: Defeat Dr. Calamity
    TIME: Around Noon
    ENVIRONMENT: Sunny, Warm

Koto rolls around on the ground and into cover, but she can't get the fire out before she gets burnt again (-1 HP).

Jericho doesn't immediately spot anything he can use the shotgun shells for, so he sticks with the flare gun. Thankfully, it's already loaded for some reason, and all Jericho has to do is release the safety (he figures that out). He moves behind the nearby fence and waits for a good moment to use the gun.

LALA begins to take control of the drone. It takes her a moment to alter the drone's software to receive commands directly from her and not the controller, but she gets it done (Computer Check Success on 2 plus a helping of AI Construct to make the impossible, possible).

The drone has a flight speed of 25 mph and is equipped with a minor sensor array for aiding police-heat sensors, energy sensors, drug sensors, etc-but nothing immediately useful, minor plasma shielding, and a ranged stun gun. Two shots only.

Note LALA is still standing behind the burning car.

Tom decides jumping to the next leg from his current position is nearly impossible, so he jumps down and runs for the next leg. This leg is currently next to a fence. Tom hops onto it and begins to climb up.

Losing sight of Koto, Dr. Calamity begins looking for Tom. It doesn't take long for the mad doctor to spot the ninja, and when he does, he pulls out a pistol and begins firing on Tom.

"You! Get off my great invention!" Calamity yells.

The shot rings off a bar just above Tom's shouder. He doesn't have a very good grip when this happens, so Tom finds himself losing his grip and falling back to the ground. He does not get injured.

edited September 2010
    Koto will use heal wounds once, before continuing to assault the spider robot with sound waves (preferably from behind cover.)
    edited September 2010
    He'll use the leg as cover from the gunshots, as he resumes his original plan.
  • EnyoEnyo Member Full Members
    edited September 2010
    Now in the body of a small drone, L.A.L.A. flies towards the giant spider robot and activates her sensors to scan for any interesting information. She circles around the cockpit area in particular as this is where she expects the power source of the spider robot to be, hoping it will show up on her heat sensors - such a large device is bound to have a power source of similar size. She also looks for any sensitive electronics that control the device, maybe a computer core or the likes - she expects this to give off a heat signature as well.
    edited September 2010

Koto goes about healing herself. This process continues into the next round.

Tom ducks behind the leg he is attempting to climb and uses it as cover against Calamity's shots. The mad doctor continues to fire on Tom, but the ninja has sufficient cover. He begins to climb the leg again.

While bullets ricochet around Tom, Jericho fires the flare gun at Dr. Calamity. The flare smacks into a foreleg and falls to the ground, but the light and noise is enough to catch Calamity's attention. He spins around in the cockpit and begins searching for the source of the flare. Some of the flare's smoke rises into his cockpit and he begins to cough.

LALA the recon drone begins to flit around the spiderbot. All of the legs originate from a large, box-like housing just behind Calamity's cockpit, so LALA reasons this must be the robot's power source; however, the most significant weakness she detects is from the cockpit: there appears to be only one way to drive the spiderbot. Focusing attacks on the nose of the cockpit, taking out Calamity, or even seizing control of the cockpit should be enough to render the spiderbot inoperable.

In the next round...

Tom isn't able to climb up the leg as quickly as he did the first time, probably because the robot is shaking so much from the crippled leg (or because I didn't roll a 3 this time, heh), but he eventually manages to reach the exposed joint, and Calamity is too busy choking on the smoke from the flare to fire on the ninja. He winds up, and...

Can't get a firm grip. He ends up fighting for his balance and his attack doesn't generate enough force to count as a Mighty Strike.

Jericho's flare gun comes with another shell, but that's it. He reloads the weapon, again having little trouble figuring that out, and preps another shot.

edited September 2010
    (Does the drone have any way of connecting with any of the hardware of the robot, for example by flying inside the cockpit or landing on top of it and hooking up with some of the electronics? If it is not able to do so on its own, would it be able to if Tom helped?)
    edited September 2010
    (Thought hard about it, but I can't think of any way for the drone to hook up to the spiderbot without the aid of a wireless device. An electrician or computer expert could hook the drone up to the spiderbot's command console, but that's not exactly a quick job)
    edited September 2010
    (That's fair, the drone probably wasn't designed for hacking :P I'll post in a bit when I've thought of a new plan)
    edited September 2010
    (Probably our best bet is Koto to smash the cockpit glass, and LALA to use the drone to stun the doctor.)
    edited September 2010
    (Is there cover between Koto and LALA? Is Koto aware that LALA got hammered by the leg? I'm thinking not, correct?)
    edited September 2010
    (I think she saw LALA get hammered. LALA is still standing by the burning police car. Koto can run behind the length of fence to reach LALA with cover, so yes).
    edited September 2010
    Koto will move toward LALA keeping behind cover as much as possible. Once there, she will attempt to heal LALA... not sure how well that will work.
    edited September 2010
    (Since L.A.L.A.'s body is a construct, I doubt she can be healed by regular healing powers) As Koto approaches L.A.L.A. she finds the girls standing perfectly still, not moving at all, as if she were nothing more than a statue.

In her temporary drone body meanwhile L.A.L.A. realises that the high voltage used to stun people can likely also be used on any sensitive electronics used in the spider robot. She looks for a place where there are exposed computer parts she can target - even if she cannot hook up with them, she should be able to fry them using the ranged stun weapon, she reasons.
    edited September 2010
    (For the sake of simplicity, any superheroic healing ability can heal LALA)

**Btw, Calamity has a window open so he can fire at Tom.

Koto restores an HP.

The bars protecting the legs of the spiderbot don't adequately cover the electronics beneath. LALA could attack those bits, but it's a tough shot.

Tom continues whacking at the joint while Koto runs to heal LALA. I suppose Jericho is still looking for an opportunity to distract Dr. Calamity.

Seeing the drone flying around, Calamity begins firing on it, but his aim doesn't get any better. Meanwhile, Tom manages to secure his balance, meditates for a second, then delivers a mighty punch to the joint. There is a loud clang and Calamity spins around to face Tom.

Seeing Calamity return his attention to Tom, Jericho fires the flare gun again. He misses, but the blinding flare still crosses his line of vision and forces him to turn away.

In the next round...

Tom smashes the joint again, causing another leg to shake and vibrate.

"No! I'll crush you," Dr. Calamity yells over the loudspeaker. He begins to re-position the spiderbot so the flamethrower faces the ninja, but Tom maintains his grip on the shaking leg, so there is nothing for Calamity to aim at. His movement speed has also be reduced by a significant degree. Looks like he's not going anywhere soon.

"Hey! Anyone there? What's this we're hearing about a robot?"

The police radio in the police car suddenly comes to life. It's amazing the thing still works, but it's working.

"Hello? Should we send someone to investigate? Where are you guys?"

If the police send someone to investigate, the team will have a little help, but if they can reply and tell them about the robot, they could get a lot of help, although you'd have to go into the burning car...

LALA can hear this message even though she is focusing on the drone. The drone is sending a status log to a wireless receiver somewhere in the city...

*Spiderbot 2 legs crippled

edited September 2010
    Once Koto has healed LALA somewhat (no more than 2 HP) she'll move back for cover and attack Dr. Calamity directly, attempting to end the battle quickly.

(If after healing 1HP, dr. Calamity turns back to LALA and Koto, Koto will tell LALA to run and then duck for cover.)
    edited September 2010
    L.A.L.A. investigates the wireless network a moment to see if the spider robot has a wireless modem as well - if so she'll attempt her original plan of taking control of the spider robot by hacking into it.

Regardless, L.A.L.A. calculates the odds of her taking out one of the legs at only 55%, with a 20% chance of taking out two legs if she takes out at least one. Regardless, the odds aren't to her liking. If the wireless does not pan out, L.A.L.A. will fly herself in through the window so she can target the spider robot's controls with the stun weapon and attack those - unlike Dr. Calamity, the controls probably aren't going to attempt to dodge the attack. Again, contingent on there not being a way to hack into the thing wirelessly.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited September 2010
    (Sorry. Work is kicking my butt. Im relegated to posting way after hours. Should be back to normal Monday.)

Jericho tosses the spent flare gun. After hearing the voices come from the car, he perks up at the offer of help. He's not up for burning himself to get that help, though. He sees LALA standing there doing nothing. "Hey!" Jericho whispers to LALA. "Get out the way!" If she hasnt moved, he will run over, pick her up, and move her to cover. "Are you dead or something?" He takes her pulse then quickly pulls his hand away. "I forgot. You're naked." He peaks out at the machine. "I wonder if I can climb up the leg like they did? Worth a shot." He runs up to the nearest leg and starts climbing.
    edited September 2010
    Tom keeps on the leg and attempts to keep Dr Calamity's focus on him. "Hey Doc, does this piece of junk have a made in Taiwan sticker on it? Seriously Dr Hades crapped more lethal stuff than this. Or is this a subsitute for something you're lacking in the downstairs department?" Hopefully the other people make good use of this distraction.
    edited September 2010
    A bit confused, Jericho mouths quietly "downstairs department?" as he climbs the leg. He says out loud, "There's a downstairs department? I don't see any stairs! Why would someone have a department for stairs?""
    edited September 2010

LALA traces the signal and discovers it isn't going to the spiderbot, but a server in the center of the city. She cross-references this server with the map of the city she downloaded earlier and discovers the signal is going to the city's police dispatch center. Apparently someone is monitoring the drone's status and progress.

It would be very easy to alter the signal to send a message instead of the usual status report.

LALA also discovers the drone has a camera on it (sorry, didn't think of it at the time).

When Jericho sees Koto taking care of LALA, he decides to leave the naked girl to Koto. Jericho then runs to the nearest leg while Tom taunts Dr. Calamity.

"WHAT!? How dare you compare that moron to my greatness!" Dr. Calamity has to lean out of the window again to fire his gun on Tom. He still can't hit the ninja.

But the distraction works and Jericho covers the ground to the spiderbot with ease. He grabs the first leg on the other side of the spiderbot and begins climbing. The metal bars are a lot like a ladder and are easily climb.

Koto finishes healing LALA (+1 HP), then per Jericho's request, drags her seemingly comatose body behind the nearby fence for cover.

In the next round...

Koto steps out from behind cover and screams at the spiderbot. It's a hell of a scream. Cracks begin to appear in the glass protecting Calamity's cockpit.

LALA calls for police assistance while Jericho and Tom have the ironic honour of playing spider on the robot. Koto continues to scream, shattering the windshield around Calamity's cockpit and exposing the mad doctor. He tries to stop Koto with the flamethrower, but she ducks behind the fence for cover. Another scream forces Calamity to cover his ears. By now Tom has disabled another leg.

"GAH! You cursed supers! You won't get away with this," Dr. Calamity shouts while pressing buttons. There is a hiss of steam and a loud snapping noise and the helicopter portion of the metal beast suddenly breaks free. The spinning helicopter blade quickly carries Calamity into the sky.

"You haven't heard the last of me," Calamity shouts as he shakes his fist at the team. "Next time, you will pay!"

Koto sends one last scream Calamity's way, but misses (no, really) and the mad doctor escapes.

BATTLE END

Despite Dr. Calamity's escape, the team still succeeds at saving the neighbourhood with minimal collateral damage. When the police finally arrive, they treat the team like heroes. A news crew arrives and gathers the entire team for an interview, but not before giving LALA a jacket.

"This is Sasha Pressly of Channel 1K1 news and I am standing here today with the heroes of Agatha Street. Tell me, brave heroes, what happened here today and why did you engage this metal beast yourselves? Why not wait for police or elite crimefighter assistance? And is it true Dr. Calamity was responsible for this catastrophe?"
    edited September 2010
    (Koto makes sure everyone is healed. She will check on Jim as well.)

Wishing she had remembered to grab her baseball cap from her car, Koto addresses the newsperson.

"When I arrived here, quite by accident, there were hostages being held in that house there," she says pointing to Jim's house. "I'm not sure who the men were holding the hostages, but when Dr. Calamity's spider droid thing smashed through the roof, I used the distraction to help get the hostages escape. When I returned to the scene I assisted these three in dealing with Dr. Calamity. With the damage the police car had sustained, I wasn't sure if the officers had managed to call in support or not. In fact, I never even seen the officers who were in that car."
    edited September 2010
    L.A.L.A. will thank Koto for healing her "Thank you for repairing me, Miss!"

L.A.L.A. then restores the drone, putting the original software back and added a note with a complete list of bugs with solutions and optimisations that she found for the software "Thank you for letting me loan your body, small flying machine. You helped me bring a hazardous situation to a halt!" She also makes sure the drone is with the team for the interview, as it helped out too.

Unlike the drone, L.A.L.A. had an answer to the news crew though: "The giant spider robot was behaving in a dangerous manner. Someone could have been hurt, so we had to disable it." L.A.L.A. explained. "You should never use a giant spider robot to crush houses or people."

With that, L.A.L.A. was done with the interview, so she started working on cleaning up the mess that had been created by the conflict, sorting rubble by size and type for easy disposal and recycling. She would also have to recharge soon though, so she began making a list of possible locations to recharge. A local power plant or electrical substation would probably have sufficient juice.
    edited September 2010
    Tom avoids the press, and indeed asks the police to keep them away from him. He'll accept the healing from Koto. If the police ask him for a name, he gives them a terse "White Dragon." He makes sure they arrest the two thugs he nabbed as well. Tom will try to question Jim and the woman with him about the thugs that attacked them. He also asks them and the police about the police car outside the house. If permitted, Tom sweeps the house for clues.
    edited September 2010
    Jericho is nervous. He doesnt want to get his face on camera. Where he's from, the news is controlled by the powers that be. He's not sure who controls the media here. Plus, its public record. He dad may review archives to see if Jericho shows up in video or news articles. He can't avoid it now, so Jericho speaks. "Uh...I was....walking. Yes. Walking. Then this giant spider. (Jericho nervously points at the legs in the yard.) This...spider. Appears out of nowhere. Uh....the car! It goes up in flames. It was scary." Jericho slinks away slowly, hiding himself behind a few people in the crowd.
    edited September 2010

Sasha Pressly nods as the team answers her questions, but it's hard to tell if she is really listening or not.

"You may not have captured Dr. Calamity, but there is still a sizeable reward for stopping his attack. I also see there are four of you, and you appear to be very capable crimefighters. Is this a super team? Are you aware defeating a known 'super' villain is worthy of claiming superhero status? Is that why you four fought Calamity?"
    edited September 2010
    Koto starts to answer, then stops. She simply shrugs, wishing she was anywhere else. She has a sudden urge to just blast the silly reporter but suppresses it. All that escapes from her mouth is a tired sigh.
    edited September 2010
    "Reward? Superhero status?" Jericho says as he jumps to the front of the pack. "Yeah. Uh, we knew that. You see, we knew Dr Calamity was attracted to danger and we are dangerous. Oh yes. As team leader, it was our duty to bring down this nefarious evil doer. He may have escaped, but he now knows that we have his number. You hear that Dr Calamity? We have your number! Now where do we pick up our reward?"
    edited September 2010
    (Hmm...this is supposed to be the part where I fast-forward the team to the point where they've created a super team and can get into the real action, but I've got one reluctant ex-superhero, a ninja, an AI who doesn't know any better, and a time traveler who isn't supposed to be meddling with time. Really, what's going to stop Koto from driving away, or Tom from being a lone wolf, or LALA from getting lost on the street?

I suppose with the right RP it could work, but this isn't supposed to be a complicated super-soap opera. It's just a few missions. I just ask you guys make the transition a little easier, yes?)

**And might as well get this out of the way now: we're now in the RESPEC phase. This is your chance to take a second look at your Traits, change things, swap something for something else, redo this or that, hell, create a new character if you want to.

*NEW DEFINING TRAIT AWARDED!!

*HP MAX INCREASED BY 1!!

*Dr. Calamity's full bounty wasn't awarded to the team, but they still received $2500 each for their efforts

TIP OF THE PAGE: Don't forget superheroes can stack Traits! You still need the base Trait in the line and any preceding Traits, but nothing is stopping you from taking second or third Teir Traits early on. Don't be afraid to be super! Your enemies sure as hell won't...